Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2022 - 2023 Schedule/Season

+9
Rob's Jacket
bullwinkle
up7587
wrv
Geezaldinho
Sound Voltex
Adam
ExpatPilot
DoubleDipper
13 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

2022 - 2023 Schedule/Season - Page 3 Empty Re: 2022 - 2023 Schedule/Season

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:09 am

A slow start by the Pilots, just 10 points in the first quarter, but the 71-56 defeat of the Vikings took away some of the bad taste of the loss to WSU just four days earlier.

Alex was a machine even while being closely guarded and double-teamed, scoring 27 points and grabbing 9 rebounds.  It was announced that Alex had set an all-time UP rebounding record since the school moved to D1 from NAIA, but I did not hear how many rebounds she now has.

It was good to see Haylee starting to get her form back just in time for WCC games, and we finally saw Emily Sewell get some good minutes after some nagging injuries this season.

2022 - 2023 Schedule/Season - Page 3 Sewell10

The bad news is the loss of Lucy for "4 to 6 weeks," in her own words. In a boot and on the bench, I spoke to her after the game, and she told me it is a "stress fracture" from just too much day-to-day pounding.

It seems a crazy schedule, but now the women have Finals Week to contend with before jumping directly into the WCC schedule by facing San Diego in the Chiles Center next Saturday a 5 o'clock in the afternoon.

Go Pilots!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:32 am

DoubleDipper wrote:A slow start by the Pilots, just 10 points in the first quarter, but the 71-56 defeat of the Vikings took away some of the bad taste of the loss to WSU just four days earlier.

I think a more accurate description of the "start" might well be a period during which there were plenty of turnovers, including most particularly, a number of forced passes to the post despite the player in question being covered, some careless/sloppy passing without regard to the position of the defenders, albeit not forced passes, and some general anxiety about ball handling resulting in surprising turnovers. I suspect scoring would have been fine had we cut the turnovers at the start.

Haylee's  performance notably improved point guard scoring. We become a better team with her skills. As the game wore on, I though Meek's play improved too.

I am not sure what this regime desires in its players, but it is sad that PSU had better outside shooters than us. Coach Meek, do us all a favor, recruit someone who can consistently make threes, please. Or, put them in the lineup.

An off the cuff observation, I have yet to see a D1 coach wear heels as long/tall as the PSU coach's heels. Enough about that.

Our league opponents are about to pack the paint and dare our guards to shoot the three--we'll see if the outside shooting improves.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:50 pm

I've been pondering something that has been bothering me since the game on Saturday. I can't bring myself to keep quiet about it. In the game McKelle Meek made a pass to a teammate who was not looking her way. The ball went out of bounds. Her father, Coach Meek, immediately subbed her out and as she approached the bench he hollered something at her. Then as she passed him, he turned and yelled again. She immediately burst into tears. She sat on the bench, head in her lap, her shoulders shaking. She was obviousl sobbing. An assistant coach put her arm around McKelle's shoulder and was consoling her. Several teammates also consoled her. She later went back into the game.

I was taught years ago by a coach that you never embarrass a player in front of the fans, their opponents and or teammates. They know they made a mistake. You let them sit on the bench and calm down for a few minutes and them go talk to them one on one.

The team committed 20 other turnovers in the game and no one else was singled out for this treatment.

Coach Meek has his own coaching methods, but if conduct like this is part of those methods it is very disappointing to this long time Pilot fan.

I personally hope Coach Meek has apologized to his daughter, the team and the University for this actions.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:30 am

That's a really really disappointing report about coach Meek.  McKelle had a good freshman year, but struggled throughout last year.  I remember a couple games where she was so upset about missing shots she asked to be taken out.  I wondered if she'd even be back this year, but she did and I've been impressed.  I love her no-look passes.  She has been hitting shots, plays good defense, and her confidence is coming back.   I had thought her issues were self-imposed, but maybe they're not.  It must be hard on both of them.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:16 am

After Coach Porter had taken over the men's team at UP, I recall a discussion I had with Coach Reveno telling me that coaching one's own child is very, very difficult and should be avoided.

One of the problems is perceived favoritism towards the coach's kid causing descension within the team...that was certainly the case during the Coach Porter era, when even his own sons left the team with eligibility left.  

As noted, there does not seem to be the problem of favoritism with McKelle...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:26 am

Very excited for the start of conference play on Saturday and two big matchups to open with.

It's been great seeing Hayley find her form and confidence so quicky after her time off. That'll make a huge difference for the team's poise and leadership on court, and she will keep building and hit her peak again for the business end of the season. Alex dominating despite being under the weather the past few games is a good sign of even more to come. Lucy out hurts but Liana has been showing some great moves and impacting and Emily's extra minutes last game showed great poise and promise so hopefully Lucy can be convered for a bit. If their D keeps producing disruption while they find a way to get the 3s to fall and the TOs to come way down, they are capable of big things despite some inconsitency so far this year.

Cant believe our 3 weeks over there went so fast, but it was nice to get great weather in San Diego and then the novelty of snow in Portland. Got to meet a few of you on here, some parents, and most of the girls who are of course all absolute gems and so nice.

Here's to a solid win to kick things off on Saturday 👍💜

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2022/12/16/womens-basketball-pilots-open-conference-play-against-toreros-byu.aspx

Adam
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2021-03-12

wrv and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:40 am

Remember, it's a 5 o'clock start today...

2022 - 2023 Schedule/Season - Page 3 Gameda14

Both teams were 6-5 in the preseason, and the last time USD and UP played, the Toreros won 61-53 in in the Chiles Center.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:30 pm

If you were looking for an excellent basketball game to watch tonight, you needed to be in the Chiles Center where the Pilots and Toreros had an epic battle with UP coming out on top, 84-81.

There is a history of grinding games between these two teams, but not tonight.  The teams put up a combined total of 119 shots and connected on 62 of them...the difference was the Pilots finally knocked down their 3-pointers, hitting 10-24, while USD was only 2-7.

The game was played at a frenetic pace with both teams employing pressure defense, but as a result, USD turned the ball over only 7 times and the Pilots only 10, which has to be a season low in that category.

It was obvious from the beginning of this game that WCC play had begun, as it was fast, physical, and furious.  

Emme and Alex each scored 19, Maisie put up 16, and it was good to see Haylee back to her special moves to the hoop while scoring 13.  Because of the comments about Mekelle in previous posts, I was more watchful of her performance and time on the bench and can report she was 2-3 from behind the arc and had zero turnovers in 20 minutes of play...and was a very supportive teammate when not in the lineup.

The bad news:  MJ is now in a walking boot and may need surgery for torn ligaments after coming down on a teammate's foot after a jump shot in practice.

Next UP: Always good BYU on Monday in the Chiles Center at 6pm...it will also be televised on the CW.

#23 Gonzaga beat BYU tonight in Spokane, 67-58.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Adam, Fox Mulder and RHS89 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:01 pm

No, freshman Emma and Melika did not play tonight, but they sure enjoyed watching their teammates drop those 3-point shots...

2022 - 2023 Schedule/Season - Page 3 Bench10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Adam and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:59 pm

I was a high intensity, high quality game with a close scorline to make for great watching! And finally a high 3pt% and low turnover rate, so fingers crossed thats a new norm! Well done to the girls on a first up conference play win Smile

Adam
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:11 am

DoubleDipper wrote:If you were looking for an excellent basketball game to watch tonight, you needed to be in the Chiles Center where the Pilots and Toreros had an epic battle with UP coming out on top, 84-81.

There is a history of grinding games between these two teams, but not tonight.  The teams put up a combined total of 119 shots and connected on 62 of them...the difference was the Pilots finally knocked down their 3-pointers, hitting 10-24, while USD was only 2-7.

The game was played at a frenetic pace with both teams employing pressure defense, but as a result, USD turned the ball over only 7 times and the Pilots only 10, which has to be a season low in that category.

It was obvious from the beginning of this game that WCC play had begun, as it was fast, physical, and furious.  

Emme and Alex each scored 19, Maisie put up 16, and it was good to see Haylee back to her special moves to the hoop while scoring 13.  Because of the comments about Mekelle in previous posts, I was more watchful of her performance and time on the bench and can report she was 2-3 from behind the arc and had zero turnovers in 20 minutes of play...and was a very supportive teammate when not in the lineup.

The bad news:  MJ is now in a walking boot and may need surgery for torn ligaments after coming down on a teammate's foot after a jump shot in practice.

Next UP: Always good BYU on Monday in the Chiles Center at 6pm...it will also be televised on the CW.

#23 Gonzaga beat BYU tonight in Spokane, 67-58.

In  addition, the Pilots turnovers were limited in the number of forced pass turnovers into the post, though there were a couple, an improvement over prior outings.

Shearer carried this team at times, easily her best game of the season. At least last night, when she had time to square up, she  was uncanny from behind the arc, going 4 of 5, oh  my.

I thought last night was one of Mekelle Meek's better performances as a Pilot, converting 2 of 3 of her three point attempts, not turning the ball over and making some good passes and playing good defense. She clearly was a positive contributor. No apparent conflict between daughter and father.

One of the refs, perhaps this is a  ccmmon complaint among fans, was calling some prettly ticky tack so-called fouls on SD's drives to the basket--there were "and one" layups undeserving of a foul call. It became difficult to contest a drive with that whistle. Thought she contributed to SD's comeback toward the end of the game with her persistent if you drive to the basket I will call a foul approach.

Kaitu'u needs to work on her layups.

SD's coach has been around a while, but she was ripping into her players in a way that Coach Meek does not. She was  particularly incensed by the failure of the Toreros to box out on rebounds. I heard her curse aloud about the rebounds more than once, perhaps a regular night for the team, though no tears from the players. Between the two coaches it was clear, I suspect, which was the better of the two to play for. It is a competitive line of work for sure with many stressors.

We'll see Monday if coach Meek increases the number of players inserted in the game. Bruno is a loss and for the second year in a row.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:01 am

Apparent how important the mid range/short jump shots were to the outcome. Thought Shearer and Burnham hit big jumpers when the Pilots needed it. Nice to see them pulling up for the open jump shot rather then driving head long to the basket. Those jumpers will become increasingly important during league play when it appears we will be outsized in the post,  waiting until Cochrance returns.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:54 pm

*sees final score*

*rubs eyes*

What year is this?

(Admittedly, I came in from the Twitters super late thinking it'd be a close one, but wow.)
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Rob's Jacket, wrv, DoubleDipper, Adam and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:07 pm

Amazing game. Combination of the girls playing one of their best and most consistent games with shots dropping, TOs limited, and defence relentless, plus BYU seeming a shadow of last years team after losing Shayla and other players.

Adam
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Rob's Jacket and wrv like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:10 pm

Not used to this kind of perfforrmance. Enjoyable throughout.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Rob's Jacket and Adam like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:35 am

Three observations:
1.  Haylee has always been very good, but she's moved to a whole new level since coming back - masterful moves around the basket, dribbling through defenders falling into her, great numbers, great team leader.  
2.  Been impressed with Emily Sewell even though she's had limited minutes.  She looks confident and is playing well.  
3.  Seems a little harsh to complain about the referees with such a big win margin, but it wasn't their finest game - 17 Pilot fouls vs 8 to BYU with both teams playing pretty physical games.  They didn't seem to have a consistent philosophy applied equally to both teams about how physical they'd allow the game and then just some odd calls beyond that against both teams.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:47 am

bullwinkle wrote:3.  Seems a little harsh to complain about the referees with such a big win margin, but it wasn't their finest game -
Lisa Jones, the lead referee was/is excellent, she also refereed the Stanford/UP game, but yes, the other two were not good enough to be officiating D1 games.

In it is too bad the women don't play at home again until January 5th, because having so many of the player's families that are visiting for the holidays in the stands and at the post-game meal is a lot of fun.

I will never say I was disappointed at the lack of BYU fans at the school's final WCC game in the Chiles Center, but I was surprised... Rolling Eyes **

(** BYU volleyball, women's basketball, and men's basketball are now all done playing in the Chiles Cener except, perhaps, for non-conference games.)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:12 pm

I’ll offer a different take.

Before we crow too much about our Pilot team, This version of BYU isn’t a very good team and will struggle to be in the top half of the conference in their final WCC season. They only have 3 D1 wins so far this season.  Some of their spells on the court were pretty painful to watch. They beat Washington State, but it must have been with other players on the court.

We will have tougher contests ahead in conference. Let’s not forget we started the fame shooting 1-7 and were still leading.  We do that against Gonzaga and we are in trouble

I suppose it’s possibly they will play better in Utah at altitude for the return match, but they will have to step it up an order of magnitude. Hopefully we will have Lucy back by then.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:01 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:I’ll offer a different take.

Before we crow too much about our Pilot team, This version of BYU isn’t a very good team and will struggle to be in the top half of the conference in their final WCC season. They only have 3 D1 wins so far this season.  Some of their spells on the court were pretty painful to watch. They beat Washington State, but it must have been with other players on the court.

There exists a discernable difference between celebrating a win against a team that has regularly beaten us and crowing about our team's prospects. No poster here, aware of the darks days which fill our past, has suggested that Gonzaga or anyone else had better beware. Taking one game at a time is perhaps the best course.

We have been down enough that, to paraphrase a 60s folk song, it looks like up to us. But we have moments well worth celebrating and that is what has been done.

I hope we beat the hell out of the Zags, but I am not crowing about it. This team took an impressive step in the right direction, and the ladies player well, whether that portends future domiant performances we willl see.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:01 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:I’ll offer a different take.

There exists a discernable difference between celebrating a win against a team that has regularly beaten us and crowing about our team's prospects. No poster here, aware of the darks days which fill our past, has suggested that Gonzaga or anyone else had better beware. Taking one game at a time is perhaps the best course.

We have been down enough that, to paraphrase a 60s folk song, it looks like up to us. But we have moments well worth celebrating and that is what has been done.

I hope we beat the hell out of the Zags, but I am not crowing about it. This team took an impressive step in the right direction, and the ladies player well, whether that portends future domiant performances we willl see.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:46 am

A point so nice he said it twice! Very Happy Very Happy
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:54 pm

Lucy - injured
MJ - injured
McKelle - injured

But the Pilots had a big second quarter in LA to go on to beat LMU, 70-61.

Watching the streamed game while watching the men's game live made for a much better experience in the Chiles Center.

Haylee and Alex combined for 47 of the Pilots 70 points, and 14 of the team's 20 assists.

Next up is Pepperdine in Malibu on New Year's Eve at 1pm.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Adam and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:38 am

Just a few notes:

The play of Fowler and Andrews last night makes clear that this program/team will be hurting when those two depart: enjoy it while you can. Fowler manhandled the front line of LMU, seemingly scoring at will. Fowler and her teammates were sufficiently effective in the paint that it lessened the need for threes. That offensive domination in the paint will be difficult to replicate against teams with more skiilled front line players.The team is far more effective offensively when Andrews is at the helm, eight assists in addition to 23 points speaks for itself.

Injuries are catching up to the team. It is difficult enough without Lucy and MJ, the loss of Mckelle showed when Andrews was on the bench. I am not  sure what the nature of her injury may be but hope she returns soon.

Maddi Condron saw the floor for the last few seconds, a rare sighting, good for her.

If these injuries persist, we may need to turn to some talented but as of yet untested freshmen and redshirt freshmen.

Go Pilots.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:23 pm

The women shoot 19% on 3Ps (4-21), but 73.6% from 2P range (28-38) to beat PU 86-76.  Burnham 21 points, Fowler 20 points, Shearer 17 points, Andrews 15 points. Forced 21 turnovers.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Rob's Jacket and Adam like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:53 pm

What was the administrative technical before the game? Also, curious about two shots. From what we could find, administrative technicals are only one shot.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next