Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2022 - 2023 Schedule/Season

+9
Rob's Jacket
bullwinkle
up7587
wrv
Geezaldinho
Sound Voltex
Adam
ExpatPilot
DoubleDipper
13 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

2022 - 2023 Schedule/Season - Page 6 Empty Re: 2022 - 2023 Schedule/Season

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:43 am

up7587 wrote:Kaitu'u with 21 points on 8-12 (1-1) shooting and 4-4 on FTs.
SCU couldn't stop her. When the Broncos defended her pivot moves and her left-handed layups, Liana went to the right hand...and when she canned her only 3-point attempt her defender's shoulders literally slumped.

There were at least 1000 young kids at the game being rooted on by SCU students acting as cheerleaders, but it was Liana's parents, grandmother, brother, and sister who were providing the most noise as Liana came through with the best game of her UP career.

With Alex and Liana rightfully getting all the attention, the very steady play of McKelle in the absence of Haylee should not go unnoticed.  Distributing, rebounding, defending, and bringing the ball down the court may go unnoticed in the stats, but not by those who watch a lot of basketball, including her teammates.  
2022 - 2023 Schedule/Season - Page 6 Img_0610

The parents in the background are Chance Bucher's, visiting from Half Moon Bay at both games in the Bay Area this weekend.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11266
Registration date : 2011-11-03

wrv and Adam like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:13 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
up7587 wrote:Kaitu'u with 21 points on 8-12 (1-1) shooting and 4-4 on FTs.

There were at least 1000 young kids at the game being rooted on by SCU students acting as cheerleaders, but it was Liana's parents, grandmother, brother, and sister who were providing the most noise as Liana came through with the best game of her UP career.

[T]he very steady play of McKelle in the absence of Haylee should not go unnoticed.  Distributing, rebounding, defending, and bringing the ball down the court may go unnoticed in the stats, but not by those who watch a lot of basketball, including her teammates.  
2022 - 2023 Schedule/Season - Page 6 Img_0610

Let's add to the many attributes that Mckelle has displayed of late her accurate and timely three point shooting and her ability on occassion to drive the basket, as she did yesterday.

Liana's family must of been loud to be heard over the den described in the SCU summation of the game:

"A loud crowd of over 1,000 fans – including plenty of young members of the Bay Area Women's Sports Initiative – helped keep the Broncos in the game. It was Santa Clara's largest home crowd since Feb. 9, 2019, when it played in front of 1,216 fans against Pepperdine."

https://www.santaclarabroncos.com/sports/w-baskbl/2022-23/releases/20230204unlvwb

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:43 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Alex Fowler WCC Player of the Week, Part III...
...and now, Part IV (three in a row).

What a special person and player Alex is...

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2023/2/6/womens-basketball-fowler-wins-fourth-wcc-player-of-the-week-after-reaching-impressive-milestone.aspx

2022 - 2023 Schedule/Season - Page 6 Fowler12
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Rob's Jacket, mikemac65, wrv, bullwinkle, Adam and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:47 am

A rare off day for the women tonight, but it's likely a number of them will be at the men's game against Pacific.

They usually sit either across the court from the UP bench and up about 5 rows or up behind the bench up a little higher.

I know the players would really appreciate it if you were to stop by and give them some encouragement in advance of their Saturday game against Gonzaga in Spokane.  Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:05 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:A rare off day for the women tonight, but it's likely a number of them will be at the men's game against Pacific.
They were at the game, but not in their usually MBB seats.

The team drifted into the Chiles Center after practice in the Beauchamp Wellness Center with snacks in hand before showering and were feted on the court along with several teams and student-athletes for their "highest ever fall semester GPA."  

I was reminded by Haylee that the last home game of the season, at 3pm on Saturday February 18, will also be "Senior Day"** where all the graduating seniors will be honored.

I did not ask if Alex would be among those being honored, but Liana, who is just now coming into her prime, told me she will be graduating and leaving with one year of eligibility remaining.

** Now in my advanced years, I always smile when these young student-athletes are called "seniors."  I think "senior day" should be the day when people of a certain age are allowed half-price beers at the concession stand.  drunken
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:02 pm

For those waiting for a summation of Pilot games in the Oregonian, wait no longer.

Among other comments, Coach Meek shared this about the contest:

"I felt like it was a competitive game and I love the strides we’re making,” Meek said. “I don’t feel great about the outcome because I know we can play better, but we’re improving.”

Let's hope that results reflect improvement going forward.

Go Pilots.

https://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/2023/02/portland-pilots-women-hang-with-no-23-gonzaga-for-a-half-before-dropping-wcc-showdown.html

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Rob's Jacket likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:35 am

Just two home games remaining:

Thursday at 6pm vs. St. Mary's
Saturday at 3pm vs. Pacific

Also, just two more opportunities to see the graduating players and to watch them being honored on Saturday during the pregame.

Haylee
Alex
Kelsey
Keeley
Liana

Let's all get out there to cheer them on to a triple-bye and a Monday start in Las Vegas on March 6.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:53 pm

Wow! So we have 4 players (not considering Haylee) who have another year of playing eligibility that have decided to move on with their lives. Both understandable and disappointing.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:21 pm

bullwinkle wrote:Wow!  So we have 4 players (not considering Haylee) who have another year of playing eligibility that have decided to move on with their lives.  Both understandable and disappointing.  

Is it certain that all five are moving on? Are you not entitled to participate in a senior game recognition ceremony even if you are scheduled to graduate but have eligibility remaining and have deciided to return?

Somebody enlighten me on this point.

Hate to see them all go:

Haylee
Alex
Kelsey
Keeley
Liana

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:55 pm

wrv wrote:Is it certain that all five are moving on? Are you not entitled to participate in a senior game recognition ceremony even if you are scheduled to graduate but have eligibility remaining and have decided to return?

Hate to see  them all go:
There are currently 3 inbound scholarship players for 2023-24, so if either Keeley or Alex were to change their mind about heading back to Australia or playing in Europe, there is still some room on the roster for them for a bit longer.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

wrv and Adam like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:30 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
wrv wrote:Is it certain that all five are moving on? Are you not entitled to participate in a senior game recognition ceremony even if you are scheduled to graduate but have eligibility remaining and have decided to return?

Hate to see  them all go:
There are currently 3 inbound scholarship players for 2023-24, so if either Keeley or Alex were to change their mind about heading back to Australia or playing in Europe, there is still some room on the roster for them for a bit longer.

The probability of changes to their decisions is likely low. Next year's lineup will be quite different . . .our freshmen and sophmores will be seeing the court. Quite the competition for playing time, I assume.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:46 pm

With the extra Covid years these players get, I can't blame any players for getting on with "real" life while they still have eligibility remaining. School + practice hours + game travel with minimal compensation has to get old eventually.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2021-06-10

DoubleDipper, ExpatPilot and Adam like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:29 pm

This is the first time any Pilots basketball team, men's or women's, has clinched a triple-bye at the WCC Tournament, right?

Fun game to watch, especially if you tuned in at halftime.  Maisie Burnham was tremendous.  Liana Kaitu'u put in another great shift.  Lucy Cochrane's shot-blocking changes games.  And Alex Fowler is simply the best all-around player I've ever seen at UP (though I continue to be baffled by what post defenders get away with while guarding her down low).

I haven't been able to make many games this year, but there's no way I'd miss being at the Chiles Center on Saturday.  Obviously, I'm still hoping we get the chance to see Keeley and Alex back for one more run next season, but if not, it'll be a great day to thank a group of young women who fundamentally changed UP basketball for the better.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2007-04-28

wrv, Adam and RHS89 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:26 am

Great atmosphere at the game this evening with young girls from various elementary and middle schools in attendance.

And yes, it is a mystery why Alex gets no respect whatsoever from the referees, while here teammates didn't seem to have the same problem during this game.
Rob's Jacket wrote:I haven't been able to make many games this year, but there's no way I'd miss being at the Chiles Center on Saturday.  
Get to the game no later than 2:54 if you want to see the graduates being honored from the beginning.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:51 am

Alex's treatment by opposing D, as a result of officials' lack of whistles, is downright disgusting.

Loved seeing Maisie being aggressive again, and always a joy seeing my daughter so animated and happy on the bench supporting her teammates. Her and Melika reacting as Maisie dropped that drive spin move in front of them had me laughing...

https://i.servimg.com/u/f45/20/35/79/84/receiv19.jpg2022 - 2023 Schedule/Season - Page 6 Receiv20

Adam
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2021-03-12

wrv, DoubleDipper and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:12 am

Adam wrote:Alex's treatment by opposing D, as a result of officials' lack of whistles, is downright disgusting.

Loved seeing Maisie being aggressive again, and always a joy seeing my daughter so animated and happy on the bench supporting her teammates. Her and Melika reacting as Maisie dropped that drive spin move in front of them had me laughing...

https://i.servimg.com/u/f45/20/35/79/84/receiv19.jpg2022 - 2023 Schedule/Season - Page 6 Receiv20
Maisie's move had many of us on our feet in wonderment as she slipped by the defenders.

Seeing Emma and Melika, both of whom are potential starters in a year or two, supporting their teammates as they do is a joy, but I literally guffawed out loud at their collective reaction to Maisie's move, while her parents in the stands reacted in much the same way.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Adam and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:25 am

Very fun game to watch.  SMC had a great first half.  They aggressively went up the middle on offense, and if they didn't have a shot or a cutter, they'd throw it out and nail the three.   Obviously their plan was to contain Alex and they didn't mind fouling to accomplish it (some were called, many were not).   I don't know what the Gaels thought we were gonna do in the second half, but they probably didn't expect us to double-down on going inside.  And that's what we did - between Maisi, Alex, Liana, and Lucy, we were just unstoppable.  Another masterful job from McKelle and Kelsey at the point.  We never did light up the three's (Maisie had all three of them for the team), but it was a solid performance for the entire team.   I hope Alex and Liana are mentoring Emma and Emily on offensive moves in the key.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:27 pm

Wow.  I think I’ve seen better officiated CYO games than tonight’s game.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Rob's Jacket, mikemac65, DoubleDipper, Adam, Fox Mulder and RHS89 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:24 pm

A_Fan wrote:Wow.  I think I’ve seen better officiated CYO games than tonight’s game.

Cannot second this enough. It was so, so bad. I'm glad the team was able to fight through it.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemac65 Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:45 am

Alex is getting killed inside and the refs aren't calling the fouls. I fear she is going to get hurt the way the other teams just beat the bejayzus out of her. Did anyone see it when her head hit the floor with 3 players on top of her? OUTRAGEOUS

mikemac65
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 141

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:50 am

mikemac65 wrote:Alex is getting killed inside and the refs aren't calling the fouls. I fear she is going to get hurt the way the other teams just beat the bejayzus out of her.  Did anyone see it  when her head hit the floor with 3 players on top of her?  OUTRAGEOUS
I had the opportunity to speak with all the players and some of the parents before and after Saturday's game, and all the graduating seniors have solid plans in place to move on in their lives beyond UP....except for one, Alex!

Alex is still "50-50" with regards to going or staying, and her parents say they are not trying to influence her one way or the other.  It boils down to playing professionally (probably in Europe) or staying in Portland to get a graduate degree.

Haylee will be staying in Portland until August to continue her rehab and spend more time with her center fielder... cheers
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Adam and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:57 am

[quote="DoubleDipper"]
mikemac65 wrote:

Alex is still "50-50" with regards to going or staying, and her parents say they are not trying to influence her one way or the other.  It boils down to playing professionally (probably in Europe) or staying in Portland to get a graduate degree.

During the Pacific game broadcast, Jennifer Mountain and her cohort confiirmed that Alex is as of yet undecided. Though I am not an optimist about Alex's return, what a boon to  the program if she does. Hope the best for the remaining ladies (and Alex if she departs). Glad to learn their future plans are solidified. Quite an adventure on which they are about to embark.

Without Alex, the front line becomes a little thin. At least I wonder whether coach Meek is scouring the transfer portal or is in fact on the recruiting trail to find another "big," not hefty.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:16 pm

Fowler could opt to return to Portland for another season, thanks to the extra year of eligibility granted to every player in 2020-21. She participated in Portland’s senior day celebration on Saturday, but she’s keeping her options open, saying she’ll come to a decision after the season about whether to turn pro or return for one more year.

https://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/2023/02/portland-pilots-alex-fowler-looking-to-cap-dominant-senior-season-with-womens-ncaa-tournament-bid.html

Great to finally see the Oregonian take an extended look at Alex and her career at UP.  It would be a real privilege to get to watch her for another season.

Administrator
Administrator

bullwinkle and Adam like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:36 pm

[/quote]
https://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/2023/02/portland-pilots-alex-fowler-looking-to-cap-dominant-senior-season-with-womens-ncaa-tournament-bid.html

Great to finally see the Oregonian take an extended look at Alex and her career at UP.  It would be a real privilege to get to watch her for another season.[/quote]

Given the level of interest in the Pilots, witness the average attendance, and considering the frail economics of running a general newspaper, perhaps we should be appreciative of coverage in the Oregonian when it occurs. We are not high on those topics which interest most readers of the Oregonian, nonetheless the article appeared. Their revenues are down from the more profitable times.This was an enjoyable article and well written, better and more thorough than any I have have seen on Ms. Fowler. Thanks.

There is a running complaint on this board that Alex is mistreated physically every game. I am aware that on occassion she is pushed, manhandled in a sense, without call, but Alex gives out as good as she gets. Alex's words, presumably her words, and the impression of the writer, shed light on Alex's conduct in the paint.

”Fowler scores with a unique blend of physicality and finesse. Given the right matchup, the 6-foot-2 power forward can be a bully around the basket, seeking out centact and scoring through it. She leads the WCC in field goal attempts and field goals made on the season. She described her style of play as “very aggressive.” "

It may be that Alex is best situated to describe the nature of her play. Note there was no complaint from her that she was in any way singled out by refs or opponents. Alex apparently does not perceive herself as a victim of mistreatment by the refs or the other players, though again there are exceptions which occur.

Good luck ladies.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:49 pm

The last I heard the women are going to need a bit of luck in Provo and a deeper than normal bench, because as of close to midnight on Wednesday, they are still on the ramp at PDX awaiting deicing before their long flight and long drive to Provo after sitting around at PDX for close to 12 hours due to the snow and ice.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next