Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread

+27
onetouchfutbol
Oscar
powerfan
Trenchcoat Wally
eProf
UPSoccerFanatic
A_Fan
UPWomenSoccerRookie
GUPhantom
fozziewozzie
decrink
Harry Redknapp
Geezaldinho
wyeast
Poopdeck Pappy
ninjapizza
PilotNut
purple haze
Stonehouse
SoreKnees
PurplePrideTrumpet
pms275
PilotDrummer
'78 Alum
FANatic
Auto Pilot
ohhh_yeah
31 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread

Post by FANatic Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:35 am

Trenchcoat Wally wrote:
To properly dialog about soccer games and play, it is pretty important to talk about what happens in certain positions, favorable or not. Regrettably, that causes players names to be used. In the future, as to not upset anyone, we should all just say, "the left midfielder" or "the center forward" That way nobody will be upset that a name was used to critique a match.
Agreed Wally. The Pilots are a D1 college soccer program. We need to be able to critique games honestly on this forum. I like your idea of using the position name rather the player's name to avoid hurting the feelings of these young student-athletes. Very Happy
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread

Post by MesaPilot1 Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:29 am

Fanatic !!!Congrats on 1000,

I wish the Men's BB team had the kind of support womens soccer does. Maybe that will build as Rev. takes them to new heights. I agree with using positions to identify poor play,because I have to remember these are college kids not Profesional Athletes. They already get enough grief from opposing fans.

There is a certain member of the Men's BB team that make's me want to pull my hair out. However, I choose to complement his replacement this year and refer to his position when bemoaning his poor play (Ok, most of the time I do).

My first post on women's soccer and probably my last. When I was playing Volleyball,Basketball,and Track were the main womens sport's.....sigh, how time's have changed.

Good luck to the Young Women and Beat Stanford!!!

Back to the Chiles Center..... and the Mens BB posting section where I belong..

MesaPilot1

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:56 pm

Okay, so who picked the music on the the video highlights of this last game? No offense, but, that music is awful. It completely ruined the highlights for me... Just my opinion. I'm sure there's someone out there who likes it...

Embarassed
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:09 pm

Athleticjames wrote:

Okay, so who picked the music on the the video highlights of this last game? No offense, but, that music is awful. It completely ruined the highlights for me... Just my opinion. I'm sure there's someone out there who likes it...

James- I agree with you. What was that all about? I would much rather have just the fan sounds over that teenybop music bed. Maybe I can help them out in the future with sound. I created the music bed for one of the original videos from 2005. Harder to enjoy on small computer speakers but there is a funky style Brazil beat going on in there. I also left in the crowd noises too...Good memory video to enjoy.... Trenchcoat

Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:40 pm

Great job on the music, Wally. It creates a nice background atmosphere for the video highlights.

The music on the highlights to the JMU game: no offense to anyone, but I just had to turn the sound off. I'm an old fuddy-duddy though. I'm old!
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:54 pm

I also turned the sound off. I love the crowd noise. Bad move.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by pms275 Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:57 pm

Trenchcoat Wally wrote:

For PMS268's sake, maybe there can be a new section called the "The support group thread"

To properly dialog about soccer games and play, it is pretty important to talk about what happens in certain positions, favorable or not. Regrettably, that causes players names to be used. In the future, as to not upset anyone, we should all just say, "the left midfielder" or "the center forward" That way nobody will be upset that a name was used to critique a match.

Hmmm...I think you missed the point of my post. No need for rudeness. We're all Pilots here.

There are some people on this board who are able to critique without throwing kids under the bus. It's all in how you choose your words.
pms275
pms275
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:48 pm

Thanks Trenchcoat...maybe they should hire you. Much better. LOL.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by decrink Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:15 pm

Hoo boy, I just watched the video highlights. I hear what you mean about the music. Mean girls? There's nothin' better than being a girl? The track didn't go with the video at all, almost like something you'd put when the video company films an 11 year old club girl's team. Sheeesh. Step up to the level of the team you're filming please. Oh, I'm sorry, can I talk bad about the film editors? P.S. I think Wally was being sarcastic about naming players. Soccer fandom worldwide is all about opinions and the players should be tough enough to hear an opinion if they want to read these boards. We're not talking children's soccer. This is big time college soccer, one step below the pros and nationals. Like the song says, "mean girls".
decrink
decrink
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2007-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjapizza Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:04 am

I'm female and count me among those who greatly disliked the music choices in the latest highlight video. It's insulting. The use of vapid 'girl power' songs like that are the tools of those keeping women's sports in the stone age by marketing to 13 year old girls with no purchasing power. But I digress.

You wouldn't use songs about how great it is to be a boy in a men's soccer highlight reel, would you?
ninjapizza
ninjapizza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 233

Back to top Go down

Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread - Page 4 Empty Interview on UP web site

Post by UPWomenSoccerRookie Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:03 am

I watch the post-game interview from the link on the Pilot web. Ther media was especially unimpressive; there were some pretty lame questions directed at our three players. Garrett keeps his responses focused on the positive side, as usual (I endorse that).

BTW, can we replace the oxidized red roof of the Chiles Center in the header of this page with the freshly painted white version? It would need some special treatment for the white roof to be visible against the white background.

UPWomenSoccerRookie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:24 am

[quote="UPWomenSoccerRookie"] Ther media was especially unimpressive; there were some pretty lame questions directed at our three players. Garrett keeps his responses focused on the positive side, as usual (I endorse that).

I agree about the media. The players and Garrett seemed poised and coherent, but the questioner seemed to be thinking things up on the spot, without advance preparation. It was really slow. I also get really, really tired of the stupid "how did/do you feel" questions. This was a chance to ask some intelligent people some incisive questions. Instead we got "what were you thinking". It's not just this interviewer - too many seem to do that. Ask some probing questions, respectfully. I would love to know, for example, Garrett's thoughts on how the team needs to protect against counterattack when the outside mids are forward on the attack, especially relative to the JMU game, or ask the women how they compensate when Meghan is being double teamed all over the field. Do they try to play away from her more, or what else? I'm guessing this coach and these players would love these kinds of questions.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:47 am

Ha ha ha.... you have no idea how much you guys noticing the lame media questions makes me smile.

I think I've said about 20 times how much I miss Abby Haight... well, let me say it again. Bo is a nice guy, but.............
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:07 am

Most sports reporters are not really asking soccer questions. They are asking generic emotional questions that could be asked of any player after any game in any sport. The "up close and personal" pap that drives the Olympics feature stories is not what Pilot Nation faithful consider important. Fan From Afar makes an awesome request to hear "Garrett's thoughts on how the team needs to protect against counterattack when the outside mids are forward on the attack." Wow! That's news we could use.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:08 am

purple haze wrote: Fan From Afar makes an awesome request to hear "Garrett's thoughts on how the team needs to protect against counterattack when the outside mids are forward on the attack." Wow! That's news we could use.

That's also the question any good coach isn't likely to divulge. You'd probably get a "both teams will play hard" response.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:12 am

Stonehouse wrote:Ha ha ha.... you have no idea how much you guys noticing the lame media questions makes me smile.

I think I've said about 20 times how much I miss Abby Haight... well, let me say it again. Bo is a nice guy, but.............

Preach on!! No but seriously I could probably make a more compelling/technical write up by listening to the game on the radio... I mean at least Bo could ask them their thoughts on shin guard checks or the lack thereof...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Poopdeck Pappy Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:16 pm

purple haze wrote:Most sports reporters are not really asking soccer questions. They are asking generic emotional questions that could be asked of any player after any game in any sport. The "up close and personal" pap that drives the Olympics feature stories is not what Pilot Nation faithful consider important. Fan From Afar makes an awesome request to hear "Garrett's thoughts on how the team needs to protect against counterattack when the outside mids are forward on the attack." Wow! That's news we could use.

We need to have a Pilot Nation correspondent at these press conferences to ask the tough questions.
Poopdeck Pappy
Poopdeck Pappy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:35 pm

Before we roast these guys too much, remember that it wasn't too many years ago that nobody was writing anything about Portland in the Media.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:37 pm

I would ask the other team, "Coach, are the Pilots who you thought they were? And should we crown them now?"
Laughing

Never gets old.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by pms275 Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:57 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
purple haze wrote: Fan From Afar makes an awesome request to hear "Garrett's thoughts on how the team needs to protect against counterattack when the outside mids are forward on the attack." Wow! That's news we could use.

That's also the question any good coach isn't likely to divulge. You'd probably get a "both teams will play hard" response.

That kind of reminds me of the championship season when Garrett was asked how someone can stop his team. To paraphrase, he replied that he luckily didn't have to worry about that.
pms275
pms275
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:05 pm

[quote="pms268"][quote="Geezaldinho"]

I would ask the team to make sure that both outside mids don't attack at the same time and have one dropping back into coverage. Any other armchair or real coaches have an opinion?
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:48 pm

[quote="Auto Pilot"][quote="pms268"]
Geezaldinho wrote:

I would ask the team to make sure that both outside mids don't attack at the same time and have one dropping back into coverage. Any other armchair or real coaches have an opinion?

As a certified armchair coach, I would say that is the best answer. If you always have three back, or nearly back, you should be able to organize and establish a numbers-up situation on the two attackers. Beyond that, if they establish a longer possession, it is simply a matter of getting the mids back. The real danger is the quick counterattack.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:11 pm

I agree that the opposite outside mid should be behind the line of the ball and ready to cover back, while the defense rotates to cover the gaps. The other thing is that the defensive midfielder is also likely to be deeper than the attacking midfielder and ready to provide defensive cover.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:33 pm

Well, this discussion is very interesting in relation to JMU's last goal. The group having a discussion with Lauren after the JMU game included the four defenders, Michelle, and Charney. I didn't understand why Charney was there. Sounds like they were working out the complexities of who was supposed to be covering for whom, given whatever had preceded on the field.

I also noticed that Bill Irwin had long discussions with Kelsey, during the first half TV timeout and after the game.

It looks to me like the Pilots' staff is using every possible situation they can to teach. That is what I really love about the Pilots. Yes, they want to win. But more than anything, they have continued the culture Clive established: winning is good, but what it's really about is teaching. It's a large part of what makes being a fan so appealing.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:44 pm

At what point does it become a matter of taking the sport too seriously and forgetting that the players are also students? I mean, yeah, it's great to have a competitive team and all, but, to suggest that someone on our team which was ranked extremely high in the RPI has players who don't deserve to be playing division 1 ball is over the top for me.

There is a also natural progression and a learning curve of what should be expected of freshmen versus seniors, and I think that sometimes that also gets ignored. When I look at how far this team and this program has come since our first Final 4 appearance when Tiffany Milbrett was on the team, I just think we have really no reason to complain whatsoever.

No one who posts here scouts FC club talent that I know of. The bloggers here are not experts when it comes to soccer talent. For me personally, I just enjoy the ride and savor every win.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next