Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread

+27
onetouchfutbol
Oscar
powerfan
Trenchcoat Wally
eProf
UPSoccerFanatic
A_Fan
UPWomenSoccerRookie
GUPhantom
fozziewozzie
decrink
Harry Redknapp
Geezaldinho
wyeast
Poopdeck Pappy
ninjapizza
PilotNut
purple haze
Stonehouse
SoreKnees
PurplePrideTrumpet
pms275
PilotDrummer
'78 Alum
FANatic
Auto Pilot
ohhh_yeah
31 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread

Post by decrink Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:14 am

pms268 wrote:I'm kind of chuckling here...reading some of these comments, it sounds at times like we were watching different games.

In my opinion, the only glaring issue was how Portland came out flat to start the match and then lowered the intensity level at the end. Both of these situations cost them a goal...

...they were clearly the better team that played better when it mattered most.

I agree. I think its more about the next game...if you're good enough to get a next game.
decrink
decrink
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2007-12-02

Back to top Go down

Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread

Post by purple haze Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:41 am

Of note after the game (as someone earlier pointed out) was that the Pilots defense huddled up on the field long after most players had departed. They certainly haven't seen a 2 on the opponent's side of the scoreboard in awhile. They looked serious.

In chatting with Kristen Kelly's family after the game, her dad told me her cast may come off in time for the next game. She had a broken hand, BTW, due to being kicked during practice.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:07 am

-

I agree with Decrink, I see his fish face at games, from time to time.

It appears the Rapinoe defensive system is to send the two strongest defenders
at her and stop her immediately from securing the ball. Good
tactic. If the Pilots can formulate (in 4 days) an alternative
"Rapinoe Plan" filled with more support players running new
plays, I believe the winning odds increase. Smart offensive plays will
outsmart two enthusiastic defenders any day.

The, 'Lets win because we really play hard and have spirit' is wonderful,
yes. That can only go so far with a team that is without a few key
players. Fatigue has a way of beating even the most spirited of
teams. Now is the time for 'smart soccer'. The team skills are
great now, yes. These days, with the media available; opponents have a
much easier time to scout a teams strengths.

Being down a goal was good for them. The Pilots figured it out pretty fast and woke
up. Good experience for them…. and the fans….

I didn’t realize that Tsao had a past with scoring goals. Tsao needs to be sent up front even more. The
long looping crosses, combined with Rapinoes goal crashing abilities; (Remember the goal against SC?)
are very dangerous and were seldom used against JMU.

Trenchcoat
Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread - Page 3 Empty SoreKnees - excellent analysis

Post by powerfan Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:19 am

SoreKnees, Thank you for your in depth 2007 vs. 2008 analysis. When you look at it this way, this team is far exceeding any reasonable expectations. Maybe this truly is UP's year to notch another National Championship. It would fit the pattern I would certainly like to see... 2002, 2005, 2008? Smile

powerfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread - Page 3 Empty Take the win

Post by Oscar Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:30 am

I think what we saw last night was the difference between one team with nothing to lose and one with expectations and pressure. I was bothered a bit when I read this morning that UP hadn't even bothered to scout James Madison. Didn't know anything about them. At this level, you need to respect your opponents more than that. JMU was speedy and scrappy. They also played much looser than the UP gals.

That said, there was a pretty big difference in talent but not a big gap in experience. This was a good learning experience for them. I'm not very optimistic about how much farther they'll go but with the talent it's anything could happen time. I would wish for UP to take a page out of JMU's book and play as if they have nothing to lose on Friday.

The second JMU goal was really a strange play. Two defenders had the runner sandwiched but just could never quite catch up with her. Kelsey had to be able to see the ball all the way but I think got caught between deciding to rush the ball or wait for the shot. It happens. It's why a two goal lead is so important.

Interesting game. Fun to watch. Good win. On to Stanford.

Oscar
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by pms275 Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:28 pm

Oscar wrote:I was bothered a bit when I read this morning that UP hadn't even bothered to scout James Madison. Didn't know anything about them.

Actually, this is the way Portland prepares most of the time. They focus on what they do best and playing their brand of technical soccer--not spending a lot of time worrying about what the other team will do. If this were a less accomplished program with less accomplished players, it might be worrisome. But, Portland has been preparing this way for years, including during the 2005 championship season, when the same questions came up.
pms275
pms275
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:52 pm

A friend of mine who was sitting sideline right as you enter the stadium, at the end the Pilots were defending when the second goal was scored, said that right after, it looked like there were some heated words among some of our defenders. He said that Kassie went right over and told them to cut it out. This may explain why Lauren was huddled with a group of mostly defenders after the game, with several of them talking. Probably working things out and making sure relationships were good.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:58 pm

Who's cranking out the midnight oil to give me those video highlights? LOL. I guess I've got to wait until Monday probably.... GOOOAAAALLL!!!!
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:05 pm

Its "anything can happen time" from here on out in the tournament no matter who you have on the pitch or bench. I would like to think all the critisism posted thus far was intended to point out what we did well and what we did not do well. All for the purpose of not diminishing our hopes to advance but rather to be encouraged that the shortcomings whatever they might have been are not permanent and can be fixed and that our strengths will stay with us.

One mental issue that has not been noted previously is that in all the striviing during the year to gain homefield advantage for the play-offs is that maybe there really isn't much of a homefield advantage when the student section is largely absent. Lets be honest, they make most of the noise constantly through the game (not just during the Go Pilots call and response cheer). That student boosters should have to pay for tickets at their own field is wrong. I understand that the gate belongs to the NCAA but the Purple Pride section is not that large. If the Associated Student Body failed to take into account that they might need to subsidize student tickets for a playoff game then the Athletic Department should step in.

I am getting the feeling that maybe student participation is being taken for granted during the women's soccer games. Maybe just offering an all you can eat enchilada bar for $7 bucks might do the trick. Or some other promotion that doesn't necessarily cost money, like a turkey shoot or something. I am sure you could have got Fred Meyer or Safeway to caugh up a couple turkeys. Its spilled milk now. But for next year UP Associated Student body and Athletic Department should take into account that we have a good shot at hosting again so lets facilitate getting student butts into the stands.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:23 pm

Good comments, Auto Pilot. I'm assuming the next game is in Palo Alto though. Now, it depends on how our fans and students travel! I think we can outshine Stanford. UP was deserving of that #1 seed. We had a higher ranking than Stanford at the end of the year, and have made many more Final 4 appearances...

Eventhough soccer is a low scoring sport where anything can happen, year in and year out the same teams tend to go to the Final 4 again and again: Portland, UNC (of course), Santa Clara, and UND. Of course the California schools have definitely been on the rise, but, I think experience counts at this stage... I heard recently that Portland and Santa Clara had the most Final Four appearances after UNC. The WCC is always well represented. And it makes sense. We had like 7 Final 4 appearances or so before we won our first national title.

I like our chances. Rules
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:29 pm

It is at Stanford. Friday at 7:00. And it would be really, really nice if there was a way to get it on TV. Comcast has a Blazer game on though, which makes it harder.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:34 pm

pms268 wrote:I'm kind of chuckling here...reading some of these comments, it sounds at times like we were watching different games.

In my opinion, the only glaring issue was how Portland came out flat to start the match and then lowered the intensity level at the end. Both of these situations cost them a goal.

The defense was not bad. It just wasn't perfect. If you consider how far they've come since opening weekend, it's impressive. They are able to lock an opponent down and the freshman don't poach, thinking their speed will save them.

I'm not really in favor of calling out college kids on these boards and questioning their skill level. I suspect if Janelle Jacka was not of D1 ability, Garrett would not have her on the field. I certainly wouldn't say that Megan Rapinoe tried to do too much. When a team is struggling, the leaders have to step up. Early on, everyone was drawing three defenders or more when Portland got close to the goal.

I think last night was a perfect teaching moment. Everyone is gunning for us...gun for them, too....the whole match.

I think there's some needless worry here right now. JMU played inspired soccer. Portland wasn't lucky. This wasn't a situation where the Pilots just got by. They controlled the game after the first 20 minutes and other than that lack of aggression in the waning moments, they were clearly the better team that played better when it mattered most.

I totally agree. Most of the people calling people out unfortunately post a better game on blog sites than they play. We totally outshot JMU during that game like 23-8 or something like that. They had one goal during a brief burst, but, then we came right back and Rapinoe and Jacka got some shots off. We played aggressive soccer and won an entertaining game. It is what it is. (Having spoiled fans is a good thing though.)

GO PILOTS!
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:43 pm

I'm not worried at all. The Pilots didn't play as well as we know they can but still dominated for most of the match. That's a mark of a good team.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:50 pm

Distance between Portland and Palo Alto. 556 Miles. Price of gas per gallon $2.49. Experience of Pilot playoff game...Priceless.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:59 pm

Auto Pilot wrote:Distance between Portland and Palo Alto. 556 Miles. Price of gas per gallon $2.49. Experience of Pilot playoff game...Priceless.

Better take a little extra along for gas or you might end up stuck in Eugene on the way back. The NCAA TES milage calculator shows the distance between the University of Portland and Stanford is 674 miles....

https://web1.ncaa.org/TES/exec/miles
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:03 pm

For those of you who want to relive last night all over again, the game is scheduled for 8:00 PM on Comcast tonight.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:24 pm

http://flickr.com/photos/41639453@N00/sets/72157609877515672/ 73 photos in set...
Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread - Page 3 Goaluh6

Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread - Page 3 3052540820_6ba2a0b9e8_b

Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread - Page 3 3053110485_116a4b7b49_b

Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread - Page 3 3053196421_005e6b8366_b
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:26 pm

I did a map quest which is actual driving directions and it was 682.5 from the PDX airport so my first one must have been as the "crow flies" calculator.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:28 pm

athleticjames wrote:I'm assuming the next game is in Palo Alto though. Now, it depends on how our fans and students travel! I think we can outshine Stanford.

Nit-pick: Stanford is separately incorporated, so the game will be played at Stanford, CA, not Palo Alto.

From the Stanford website regarding the Rutgers game, which I assume also applies to the UP game:

**TICKET ADVISORY**

Tickets can be purchased at Stanford's ticket office adjacent to the football stadium this week, or at the soccer box office on game day. All seats are general admission and the first 1,500 fans to arrive will have access to seating, while any late arriving fans will be directed to standing room only. Be advised that purchasing a ticket in advance guarantees you admittance to the facility but does not guarantee you a seat.

So what we need is 1,500 UP fans to by tickets and arrive very early for the game.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:31 pm

To quote Don King-- "What a country. "

Go Pilots!

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:54 pm

How many bottles of beer on the wall is that drive anyway?
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:13 pm

None- you take the beer with you.

err-- in a cooler in the trunk, of course.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:12 pm

I would like to think all the critisism posted thus far was intended to point out what we did well and what we did not do well. All for the purpose of not diminishing our hopes to advance but rather to be encouraged that the shortcomings whatever they might have been are not permanent and can be fixed and that our strengths will stay with us.

Yes AutoPilot. Very well said. In retrospec...I'm may be guilty as charged for calling out players...but truely...that was never my intention! I apologize to anyone if my post read that way. There certainly was no personal ill-will directed at anyone.

I certainly try to be conscientious about only posting positive comments....especially about players. Through thick or thin...I will be a Pilot fan always and support each player wholeheartedly. You wear purple...I'm on your side! No question!

However, in my opinion, there's gotta be a balance....we can't just gloss things over all the time? The UP Soccer program has garnered a national reputation and following. Its gonna be under the microscope and scrutinized often. Part of that deal is taking good criticism....with the bad ...(even if its coming from a blowhard like me)!!! tongue

With that said...LET'S GO PILOTS!! BEAT STANFORD!! drunken
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:37 am

What? Is this a soccer fan site or a pom pom club website?

Thank you Pele (The Volcano one) for having lots of folks here that know and love soccer. I appreciate the diverse opinions and expert analysis of games, and soccer in general.

For PMS268's sake, maybe there can be a new section called the "The support group thread"

To properly dialog about soccer games and play, it is pretty important to talk about what happens in certain positions, favorable or not. Regrettably, that causes players names to be used. In the future, as to not upset anyone, we should all just say, "the left midfielder" or "the center forward" That way nobody will be upset that a name was used to critique a match.
Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:24 am

Well, I'm late here, as you are all talking about the Stanford game already and I haven't said anything about the JMU match yet. I just got caught up reading so many posts about the game, I didn't have the creative energy to post my own thoughts.

For what it's worth: Although we got off to a stunning 1-0 deficit early in the match, the TV announcer, (who I'm not familiar with), and the color commentator, (Jimmy Clarke of Timbers fame), put it in perspective when they said it was only the THIRD time this season that the Pilots had trailed in a game.

Think about that. It's incredible really. Although we all must keep in mind that we built this season with a little help from our friends. (Tres Amigas and Kendra.) After the JMU goal, the Pilots, who seemed to be in a funk at the start of the game, quickly awoke and pretty much dominated the match the rest of the way with three unanswered goals and a continuing assault on the JMU defensive third.

The second and final JMU goal bothered me more than anything else in the game. I was very happy we had three goals and all three were dandies. Dani and Jessica's were terrific, and Korie's was a great johnny-on-the-spot strike that good teams make when they need goals. (I'm sooooo happy for Korie. In her final match at Merlo.)

After JMU's second strike, game 3-2, there were only about 6 or so minutes left in regulation. Give JMU's Corky Julian all the credit in the world. She is their scoring leader with 16 goals, and she made one heckuva play, dragging two defenders with her and then making a perfect strike on goal where there seemed to be no opening on replays. It was a goal great players make. Unfortunately for us, it was a goal great teams in the playoffs just don't allow. That second goal is disturbing to me. And uncharacteristic of the way they have built their now 19 match winning streak. However, it was the first time in 21 games that we have allowed more than one goal in a game. And we still have allowed only 8 goals in 21 matches. We really shouldn't forget that.

I was extremely nervous for the final 6 minutes. Any mistakes, and it's into O.T. where anything can and will happen. Fortunately we held on for the "W" and head to the Quarters on Friday against Stanford. We CAN beat Stanford. But I agree with a couple other posters that this team as now constituted, must scrap and claw their way through every second for the remainder of this season. We are a very young and relatively inexperienced team. Consider us underdogs the rest of the way, and attack like an angry pit bull all over the field.

There is only Stanford. No past and no future. Only Stanford on Friday night at their house.

GO PILOTS!!! Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread - Page 3 Army
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next