Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread

+27
onetouchfutbol
Oscar
powerfan
Trenchcoat Wally
eProf
UPSoccerFanatic
A_Fan
UPWomenSoccerRookie
GUPhantom
fozziewozzie
decrink
Harry Redknapp
Geezaldinho
wyeast
Poopdeck Pappy
ninjapizza
PilotNut
purple haze
Stonehouse
SoreKnees
PurplePrideTrumpet
pms275
PilotDrummer
'78 Alum
FANatic
Auto Pilot
ohhh_yeah
31 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread

Post by Poopdeck Pappy Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:33 am

There is a also natural progression and a learning curve of what should be expected of freshmen versus seniors, and I think that sometimes that also gets ignored. When I look at how far this team and this program has come since our first Final 4 appearance when Tiffany Milbrett was on the team, I just think we have really no reason to complain whatsoever.

It is a real testament to the quality of players on the Pilots and to overall team depth that the discussion of potential weakness centers on only one of the eleven positions. Most teams would LOVE to have that "problem". I'm thinking of teams like Rutgers who had Carli Lloyd for 4 seasons (2001-04) but were only able to advance to the Sweet 16 once due to relative weakness at many of the other positions.
Poopdeck Pappy
Poopdeck Pappy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Portland Pilots vs. James Madison Gameday Thread

Post by SoreKnees Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:38 am

It's even more remarkable than that, given that we can talk about only one weak position when we have five starters missing.

Imagine last season if Megan R. had been as healthy as this year. National champions!
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:30 am

Part of the beauty of this site is that anyone who cares to participate can post an opinion or comment whatever their expertise or background. There's no admission requirement beyond one's level of interest. And I'm glad of it. We don't have to be high-level players, talent scouts or college coaches to have something worth sharing -- although some posters are or have been some of those types of experts. Everyone's comments are reviewed, analyzed, mulled over, refuted, expanded, accepted ... as each of us sees fit. That's freedom of expression.

I personally don't like to see any coach or player called out by name for being less than perfect. Women's college soccer should be about teaching student athletes. Improving, not achieving perfection, is all any of us can reasonably aim for in that or any realm -- whether work, sports or Web posting.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:50 pm

Good post PH. I just have one clarification regarding perfection. Was it not Clive, and I am paraphrasing here who said it was the pursuit of perfection that characterized his coaching style not winning. He said if its all about winning then when you lose all you are is frustrated. But if you are striving for perfection and taking each opportunity to become more perfect there is something to be learned each time you lose.

Maybe what we are saying improving or reaching for perfection are really just two sides of the same coin.

I think we have an honest discussion here and sometimes names get thrown in there but I have yet to see a true troll pop up here. Everyone is respectfull and loving of the team. Having said that I believe everyone on here will be even more careful of how they address the members of the team in the future given that some hackles were raised in the last week regarding this issue.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:06 pm

From Dave Lombardo, JMU soccer coach, regarding the UP-JMU playoff game:
I have been coaching in college for over 25 years...I have never had an opposing team's fans clap us off the field before! That is truly a memory I will never forget!
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:28 pm

eProf... great quote! Do you have a link to that story or where it appeared? Thanks!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:52 pm

Stonehouse wrote:eProf... great quote! Do you have a link to that story or where it appeared? Thanks!
Ummm...

I guess you'd need a link to my inbox.

I sent Coach Lombardo an email complimenting him on his team's showing, which he passed on to his team. The quote is from his reply-email, in which he complimented Pilot fans. That particular item seemed particularly appropriate to pass on to PilotNation.

Given the tone of the reply he sent to me, I'd think he'd be happy to hear from additional Pilot fans.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:03 am

Wow... very cool!

Nice of you to send an email, and very nice of him for that kind response.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:52 pm

Check the numbers: more than 1,700 views and over 100 posts on this one topic. JMU may not have been the best opponent we saw this season but ithe game sure kept us all thinking and posting. Pilot Nation hits its post-season stride!
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:09 pm

purple haze wrote: Pilot Nation hits its post-season stride!

Very clever and true. Long after the cheers have silenced and nothing but old kettlecorn bags whiffing around Merlo, the 'Nation is busy at simulaneously posting about our new team and reflecting on the program record win streak. I think the Pilots put up 14 clean sheets which is quite good given the schedule we played. Goal/shot differntial; I won't even take a crack at that one.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5