Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 Recruiting

+14
VillaGorilla
blacksheep
KTodd
Bluff dweller
wrv
IronLions
Geezaldinho
joshhorton
Rob's Jacket
oldtimer
DTLegend
NoPoNeighbor
DaTruRochin
DoubleDipper
18 posters

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

2014 Recruiting - Page 15 Empty Re: 2014 Recruiting

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:39 pm

Jason Todd must know Tyson from the Seattle hoops scene. Hope that helps with the recruitment.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:13 pm

Whomever chose the name of this young man's high school or prep school might want to reconsider. If you have to advertise a quality education, hmmn . . .

But if the young man can cut it academically and he can shoot, we could use him. He seems to elevate well and to bring an athleticism that would be helpful to our backcourt, particulary after next year.

Go Pilots.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:52 pm

Offer for JUCO forward Aaron Cheatum popped up on Verbal Commits today. Cheatum is 6-7, 240 from the East LA College Huskies.

Other offers from Auburn, Bradley, Bakersfield, IPFW, Fullerton, UCF, Utah Valley, Northern Arizona, Portland State, and Idaho.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:49 pm

Cheatum is a bruiser who's been on the watch list for awhile.....and face it, UP is in need of another body to bang with Voldy and give Gabe Taylor time to develop.

2014 Recruiting - Page 15 Aaron10

I'll share my cheeseburger with him anytime.........well, anytime after he begins attending classes at UP  Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11238
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:23 am

Is there a realistic possibility that the Pilots will offer relatively local West Albany player Nate Sherwood? Sherwood is a 6’8” power forward, who enjoyed quite a game in the 5A tournament, as described below:

EUGENE — Nate Sherwood scored a 5A-tournament record 43 points and had 17 rebounds as West Albany erased a 14-point deficit and beat Madison 76-74 in overtime in the third-place game at Matthew Knight Arena.

Sherwood made 16 of 31 shots from the field and all nine on his free throw attempts to eclipse the previous record of 41 points set by Benson's Andrew Andrews in 2011. The 5A class was created in 2007.

Defensive player of the year in 5A. This young man may not be able to eat DD’s burger (who could?), but he can play a little.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:03 am

wrv wrote:Is there a realistic possibility that the Pilots will offer relatively local West Albany player Nate Sherwood?
Good question, wrv.

Sherwood would seem ideal academically and his skills are excellent....so it's difficult to say why he's not received an offer.   Certainly UP, and other academically choosy schools, have watched him and have expressed interest.....I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the Ivy League come signing day in April.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:13 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:Offer for JUCO forward Aaron Cheatum popped up on Verbal Commits today. Cheatum is 6-7, 240 from the East LA College Huskies.
Hold on, today VC is listing UP as having "High Interest" in Cheatum instead of being one of the several schools that have made him an offer.

There's quite a vetting process that goes on when looking at a JUCO or non-US player by UP before an offer is made.....hard to say if that is the case here.  Secondly, VC's info does NOT come from the college coaches or staff, but usually someone associated with the potential recruit.

I think we've learned from all the past recruiting ups and downs that nothing is really KNOWN for sure until the "recruit" begins classes at UP.   study
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:31 am

Portland Recruit Jason Todd Named Two-Time Gatorade® Washington Player of the Year http://www.portlandpilots.com/news/2014/3/21/MBB_0321141440.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:04 pm

I read that 6-8 PF Devenir Duruisseau from Sylmar HS in Palmdale took an official visit to San Jose St. this week during his spring break.

No word if he's been to UP.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:44 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Jason Todd must know Tyson from the Seattle hoops scene. Hope that helps with the recruitment.
I believe Tyson and UP manager and former high school star, Gat Bol, are basketball buddies also.

I believe young Tyson will be on campus this coming weekend.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:26 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Hold on, today VC is listing UP as having "High Interest" in Cheatum instead of being one of the several schools that have made him an offer.

Hmmm. I'm pretty sure it said there was an offer. Must have been changed on the site soon after I saw it on there.

So if the Pilots are going after a guard with scholarship #3 (Tyson?), what will happen with the fourth? Transfer center, even if he has to sit out a year? I see Goodman has already started tweeting about players transferring - his big list o' transfers will likely be out soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:47 pm

A center is the obvious need for the class of 2014.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:02 pm

@qeahoops wrote:D'Marques Tyson is on an official visit at Portland University this weekend. #qeahoops #wayofthepharaoh

@qeahoops wrote:Tyson is receiving strong interest from Valparaiso and St. Bonaventure, more visits to come. Stay Tuned.... #qeahoops

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:16 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:
@qeahoops wrote:D'Marques Tyson is on an official visit at Portland University this weekend. #qeahoops #wayofthepharaoh

Let's hope the taxi doesn't take him to the Park Blocks!

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:26 pm

up7587 wrote:
DeanMurdoch wrote:

Let's hope the taxi doesn't take him to the Park Blocks!  
You've gotta hope Tyson likes the rain.....this is about the wettest day I can remember in Portland.  

If he took a taxi, it was probably a WATER taxi.   Razz 
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:39 pm

@CoachReveno wrote:Since last game of the season, I have spent 4 nights at home…excited about progress on recruiting trail but good to see the team today.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:18 am

up7587 wrote:
@CoachReveno wrote:Since last game of the season, I have spent 4 nights at home…excited about progress on recruiting trail but good to see the team today.
Rev seems to put in a lot of miles in some pretty cramped spaces.....I'd heard he was in Europe again last week.....I'm sure he and others look forward to some positive results, SOON!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:49 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:
D'Marques with Coach Jackson looking good surrounded by Purple.....

2014 Recruiting - Page 15 D_marq11
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:06 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:
@Gus_bball wrote:Vasilije Pusica (6-4, '95)has offers from San Diego, Colorado St and Utep. Creighton, Providence, Portland & Maine showing interest as well.
Pusica is a Serbian PG and goes to Sunrise Christian in Wichita.
Looks as if we'll be seeing Pusica for the next four years, or so.........he's verbally committed to USD!  Can't really fault his decision; USD is a good school with very good facilities in one of the best locations in America.

Pusica will be quite a contrast to senior-to-be Christopher Anderson.....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:32 am

Saw this over the wire today - Desmond Simmons to transfer from UW. 6-7 PF started for the Huskies down the stretch. Article indicates that he's going to graduate from UW this spring so will be eligible to play immediately somewhere.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/29/report-desmond-simmons-transferring-from-washington/

I'd assume that Goodman will be releasing his 2014 transfer list soon. Saw him tweeting about compiling it last week or so.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:49 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:Saw this over the wire today -
Still no Wi-Fi in Regina?  Razz

I know you listen to the "wireless" when driving your car.......
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:52 am

Jeff Goodman's transfer list is out......no surprises, yet!  I'm sure many names will be added in the next couple of months.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=10702122&src=desktop
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:13 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Jeff Goodman's transfer list is out......no surprises, yet!  I'm sure many names will be added in the next couple of months.

Is John Bailey planning on using his last year of eligibility? I'm sure there's a small school out there that would love to have him.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:29 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Jeff Goodman's transfer list is out......no surprises, yet!  I'm sure many names will be added in the next couple of months.

One name jumps out at you.....Sean Obi is transferring after a fine freshman year at Rice. Would imagine he'll draw interest from plenty of high major schools with the kind of numbers he put up this season, though.

Beyond that...yeah, Desmond Simmons still seems to make the most sense if you're talking possible transfers to UP. Pretty highly touted guy out of HS and has been an off-and-on starter for UW the past two seasons. Could play right away, too...wondering if he's the type of guy that could be targeted to help fill the Rhino void.

blacksheep wrote:Is John Bailey planning on using his last year of eligibility? I'm sure there's a small school out there that would love to have him.

Don't think he is...and yeah, I'd imagine there would be more than a few schools interested in him if he graduates and chooses to go that route.

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:15 pm

That's a pretty long list already. How's Altman gonna fit all these guys on the roster?

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next