Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 Recruiting

+14
VillaGorilla
blacksheep
KTodd
Bluff dweller
wrv
IronLions
Geezaldinho
joshhorton
Rob's Jacket
oldtimer
DTLegend
NoPoNeighbor
DaTruRochin
DoubleDipper
18 posters

Page 14 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

2014 Recruiting - Page 14 Empty Re: 2014 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:54 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:Buster Souza is a 6-7 PF/C from Lafayette, CA...apparently not only has an offer from UP, but is down to his final two schools (Pilots and UC Riverside).
Surprised by this, I asked my friend in Lafayette to see if he could determine the authenticity of this claim made on the Verbal Commits website.   It is his opinion that Souza is NOT really a D-1 caliber player at this point, and has NOT been offered by UP.

His scouting report is similar to that of David Ahern's; a good player, who'd like to have a try at the D-1 level with some good coaching.  It would appear Buster Souza would like to walk-on at UP (or UCR).

Buster is #1 in blue in this picture from his junior year:
2014 Recruiting - Page 14 Buster10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11253
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:07 pm

So on the coaches show Rev indicated that the Pilots are pursuing a shooter from a JC, which I presume to be in California and that they were pursuing a big in the midwest—a foreigner—perhaps Pusica’s teammate . . . 

A slightly different group than has been discussed.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:02 pm

wrv wrote:So on the coaches show Rev indicated that the Pilots are pursuing a shooter from a JC, which I presume to be in California and that they were pursuing a big in the midwest—a foreigner—perhaps Pusica’s teammate . . .
Well, if Rev is looking at Pusica’s team, Sunrise Christian Academy, he’s seen them play before when he was in Paducah, KY for the prep tournament.  However, there is one player who recently enrolled there that he may not have seen, Serbian center Dusan Ristic.  Ristic had been playing for the professional team Red Star Belgrade, so I don’t have clue regarding his status with the NCAA.

Another potential center at Sunrise is Spaniard, Ruben Guerrero, who recently picked up an offer from Indiana, apparently.  But he would fit very well into the UP system, both academically and athletically, from what I know of him.

Sunrise’s top big man, Rauno Nurger, from Estonia, has verbally committed to Mississippi.

It’s no surprise the Pilots are looking for a post player that can step in for Thomas and Riley for the 2015-16 season, but they’d probably like to get a red shirt year from that player first.

Remember too, they also have a good idea who might be transferring from other schools, but that is something that would NEVER be discussed publicly by the staff.

Regarding JUCO shooting guards.....there are a number of REALLY good players available in California, guys the Pilots would love to have, but it's the same old problem, do they have the potential to succeed academically at UP?  Some have good grades, but not the potential to graduate from UP.

As Rev often says, “We’re going to succeed the right way.”

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:33 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Another potential center at Sunrise is Spaniard, Ruben Guerrero, who recently picked up an offer from Indiana, apparently.

That name would seem to make the most sense out of the big men on the Sunrise roster I found...or maybe an Egyptian, Moataz Hosny (6-9 with offer listed from UTSA).

I didn't see the Estonian you mentioned on the Sunrise roster?

Staff would do very well to land an elite guy from a school like Sunrise that's right in the middle of the recruiting spotlight.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:43 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:I didn't see the Estonian you mentioned on the Sunrise roster?
Hmmm, well, he may have moved on, but thats where ESPN has him:
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/189803/rauno-nurger
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:48 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
DeanMurdoch wrote:I didn't see the Estonian you mentioned on the Sunrise roster?
Hmmm, well, he may have moved on, but thats where ESPN has him:
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/189803/rauno-nurger

Crap. I was going to edit my post but you beat me to it.

Found him on Sunrise, he's just on a different team. Apparently they've got three teams, go figure.

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:22 am

Not to be politically incorrect, but when you are a small D1 school there is a leveling, winnowing process which takes place before the recruits you would like and that you have a realistic chance of getting and who, as pointed out by DD, can pass academic muster, are evident. The ever changing topsy turvy list of of targets—uh recruits— suggests this is the case. Witness one Bryce Pressley taken at the end of the recruiting year near signing day out of Sacramento, whom I suspect the Pilots watched but may not have extended an offer to until late. I remain pretty much astonished at the extent of effort and travels this staff endures to pluck an occasional diamond. I suspect if they are looking for guidance it is to have the wisdom to recognize the diamonds, particularly when others have not been as astute. This recruiting game must occasionally daunt even the most spirited of coaches: waiting for a yes from an eighteen year old being asked the same questions and told of similar possibilities by a number of competitors, and many of those with greater resources, more acclaimed programs, better records.

Sadly it is very hard to land players the caliber of our current front court, Thomas van der Mars and even Riley Barker. Thomas may be the best Pilot center in a generation and Riley at times this year has looked better than Thomas on the court. Can’t imagine there are many of their likes available.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:09 am

If Coach Reveno is off to Wichita to watch Pusica’s and Ruben’s Sunrise Christian Academy team against the Oklahoma City Storm, he’ll find it even cooler than Spokane was last night....forecast is for -2, but it will be a dry cold.  Laughing
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:39 pm

@KUAHoops wrote:@ChristopheEPcom 6-6 Slovakian NT pt gd Oliver Tot will choose between William and Mary, Portland, St Mary's, Davidson, Vermont and Boston U

Apparently the Pilots aren't even the only WCC school in the Tot conversation.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:46 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:Apparently the Pilots aren't even the only WCC school in the Tot conversation.
St. Mary's is in desperate need of a point guard....UP is not!  (I have not researched the other schools in the mix).

From what I can determine, Tot wants to be THE point guard, but in my opinion he would fit better at the 2 or 3, not the 1, at UP.  The UP staff has a relatively "long-term" relationship with Tot and his parents, but Tot's school decision could end up being based on his projected position and projected time on the court.....and that's probably reasonable.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:46 am

Tot to William and Mary. Not a huge surprise considering his want to be THE PG. With Wintering really playing well, and Jazz Johnson coming in next year.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:08 am

DTLegend wrote:Tot to William and Mary. Not a huge surprise considering his want to be THE PG. With Wintering really playing well, and Jazz Johnson coming in next year.

Haha. Someone over at God is a Gael saw my post about Tot and they have been drooling over him as the possible solution to their PG issues for a couple days, so they're going to be pretty upset about that.

Oliver will be a good Div I player and going to a place like William & Mary where he'll likely have a good chance of starting at PG right away is a good fit for him. With the Tot situation now settled, I think we'd all like to see the staff round out this class with a quality big man and another perimeter threat. It'll be interesting to see what direction they go with these last two scholarships.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:53 pm

StanfordSt. Mary's just solved its PG problem for next year....and this kid is GOOD!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10473765/aaron-bright-transfer-stanford-cardinal-saint-mary-gaels?src=mobile

......but he's no Aussie.   Shocked

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:07 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Stanford just solved its PG problem for next year....and this kid is GOOD!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10473765/aaron-bright-transfer-stanford-cardinal-saint-mary-gaels?src=mobile

......but he's no Aussie.   Shocked 

I assume you mean SM just solved its PG problem, courtesy of Stanford?

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:14 am

up7587 wrote:I assume you mean SM just solved its PG problem, courtesy of Stanford?
Thanks, too many late nights watching the Olympics..... sunny
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:51 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
up7587 wrote:I assume you mean SM just solved its PG problem, courtesy of Stanford?
Thanks, too many late nights watching the Olympics..... sunny

Hah, me too! I meant to say 'SMC'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:18 am

Not sure if he's a possibility anymore, but Kingsley Okoroh visited Oakland last week and UTEP yesterday.

Here's a scout report on him which lists him at 6-12. I'd say he's closer to 7-0, personally - http://scoutbasketball.com/player/kingsley_okoroh_1343

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:42 am

6-12.... scratch 

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:31 pm

Gabe Taylor talks about Valley Catholic's quarterfinal win, University of Portland expectations: OSAA 3A boys basketball tournament video.....a quick interview with UP's freshman "stretch four" next year.......

LINK

If Gabe's Valley Catholic team wins tonight, they'll play for the Oregon 3A Championship tomorrow night in Coos Bay.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:19 am

DoubleDipper wrote:If Gabe's Valley Catholic team wins tonight, they'll play for the Oregon 3A Championship tomorrow night in Coos Bay.
The Valiants were dominant Friday night, beating Harrisburg 50-24 at Marshfield High School in Coos Bay.

Valley Catholic will play De La Salle North Catholic in Saturday's 3A championship game at 9 PM…….I think VC is 3-1 vs. DLSNC over the course of the season.

VC’s zone defense was stifling, and Gabe Taylor’s offensive line looks pretty good…..12-14 3-3 28  Twisted Evil
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:40 am

.....oh, and Gabe's and Joel Sobotka's Valley Catholic team DID win the Oregon 3A championship...

Congratulations.....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:47 am

Jackson's Jason Todd a humble, classy player of the year

From the Everett HeraldNet:  LINK
2014 Recruiting - Page 14 Jason10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:23 am

Nice article on Todd...but which two players are going to join him and Gabe Taylor in the 2014 class?

Maybe D'Marques Tyson, a 6-6 SG from Bothell but playing for the Quality Education Academy in North Carolina? Pilots have extended an offer to him according to the Verbal Commits site, and it appears that Tyson will be making an official visit to UP at the end of the month.

Tyson is another under-the-radar type of guy. No rating on ESPN, not even listed on Rivals or Scout. But not a complete unknown, apparently - this was from February:
@CoreyPegram wrote:Shooter alert. 2014 D'Marques Tyson a 6'5 sniper from deep. Went 5-8 from out there today

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:55 pm

You gotta like Tyson's size, and from his video highlights, smooth athleticism.  He reminds me a little of KB.  

Attending QEA is usually for one reason, getting your game and grades ready for college.

Offers from Seattle U. and UOP, apparently.....seems we've seen this scenario before.  Evil or Very Mad 

2014 Recruiting - Page 14 D_marq10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:17 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Offers from Seattle U. and UOP, apparently.....seems we've seen this scenario before.  Evil or Very Mad[/img][/url]

It would seem that Seattle will not be the final destination, as the Redhawks appear to have 14 of their alloted 13 scholarship slots filled...that, and the three players they have coming in (including one-time Pilot target Jadon Cohee) are all guards. Pacific is in a similar position with one scholarship apparently open, but already have two SG committed for next season (including one-time Pilot target Kaleb Warner).

Twitter indicates that UP will be Tyson's first official visit, so likely some serious consideration going on as we're only a month out from LOI period now.

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17 ... 21  Next