Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 Recruiting

+14
VillaGorilla
blacksheep
KTodd
Bluff dweller
wrv
IronLions
Geezaldinho
joshhorton
Rob's Jacket
oldtimer
DTLegend
NoPoNeighbor
DaTruRochin
DoubleDipper
18 posters

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

2014 Recruiting - Page 16 Empty Re: 2014 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:03 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:One name jumps out at you.....Sean Obi is transferring after a fine freshman year at Rice. Would imagine he'll draw interest from plenty of high major schools with the kind of numbers he put up this season, though.

Beyond that...yeah, Desmond Simmons still seems to make the most sense if you're talking possible transfers to UP. Pretty highly touted guy out of HS and has been an off-and-on starter for UW the past two seasons. Could play right away, too...wondering if he's the type of guy that could be targeted to help fill the Rhino void.
Totally agree with your comments on both players mentioned....and I'm sure both would be welcome at UP.

I think it's important to know WHY Obi is transferring, as he a VERY good student, but after the mandatory redshirt year he would be a terrific fit for the Pilots upon the graduation of Riley and Thomas.

Simmons has the potential to be a season changer for UP....IF everyone can remain healthy.  His play could be very similar to Rhino's, and with everyone else returning, his addition could mean a top-four finish in the WCC while giving Gabe Taylor a desired redshirt year.  The downside is it would mean 7 seniors graduating in 2015.....but I believe the addition of Simmons would be worth it!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:09 pm

blacksheep wrote:Is John Bailey planning on using his last year of eligibility?  I'm sure there's a small school out there that would love to have him.  
I too had heard John was NOT pursuing another year somewhere, but as mentioned, I'm sure there are plenty of schools that would welcome him while he begins a graduate degree in Canada or at a D-II or D-III school.

Perhaps the reality of graduation and the requirement to enter the workforce will jolt him into changing his mind.   tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:49 pm

Something's gonna have to give at USD. According to VerbalCommits they now have "-1" available scholarships for next season.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:01 am

DoubleDipper wrote:I read that 6-8 PF Devenir Duruisseau from Sylmar HS in Palmdale took an official visit to San Jose St. this week during his spring break.

No word if he's been to UP.
Word is the 3-star PF has now verbally committed to San Jose St.  The Pilots will get a chance to face him in San Jose next season....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:31 pm

Vasilije Pusica (6-4, '95)has offers from San Diego, Colorado St and Utep. Creighton, Providence, Portland & Maine showing interest as well.[/quote]
Pusica is a Serbian PG and goes to Sunrise Christian in Wichita.[/quote]
Looks as if we'll be seeing Pusica for the next four years, or so.........he's verbally committed to USD!  Can't really fault his decision; USD is a good school with very good facilities in one of the best locations in America.

Pilots have missed on so many prospects, one wonders if quality players are still out there with whom the Pilots have any chance.

Recruiting to Portland is not easy following a couple of losing seasons.[/quote]

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:54 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Jeff Goodman's transfer list is out......no surprises, yet!  I'm sure many names will be added in the next couple of months.
OK, this is a surprise.  Matt Carlino is graduating and will transfer from BYU for his final year of eligibility.....

http://byucougars.com/m-basketball/carlino-transfer-his-senior-season
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:03 pm

School of nursing?

I understand the graduate programs in recreational management are full up.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:28 pm

So heading for his third school, after UCLA and BYU?   Suspect  It won't hurt my feelings not to see him again, after the way he torched the Pilots in Provo.

Last edited by up7587 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:54 pm

up7587 wrote:So heading for his third school, after UCLA and BYU?   Suspect  I won't hurt my feelings not to see him again, after the way he torched the Pilots in Provo.
Umm, he can't transfer to USF, can he?  Shocked 
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:40 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
up7587 wrote:So heading for his third school, after UCLA and BYU?   Suspect  I won't hurt my feelings not to see him again, after the way he torched the Pilots in Provo.
Umm, he can't transfer to USF, can he?   Shocked 

You mean to get that masters in organizational leadership they offer?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:08 pm

Per his twitter account, D'Marques Tyson has commited to the Pilots.

Tyson joins Gabe Taylor and Jason Todd in the 2014 class. It's still early in the transfer period and things can still change, but I'm expecting only one more spot for this class.

As has been mentioned plenty I'd look a traditional big man to be the target. I wouldn't be surprised, and no one on here would either, if the spot was filled by a transfer.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:38 pm

So, to recap, that's a 6'6" SF, a 6'8" PF, and a 6'6" SG. All from the PNW.

Now, all we need is a C.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:28 pm

Welcome D'Marques! @QEAHoops had tweeted something about him visiting St. Bonaventure and Valparaiso in the coming weeks but I guess he enjoyed all the rain you guys threw at him on the visit.

up7587 wrote:Now, all we need is a C.

If they go the transfer route it'll be a PF coming in. Pilots have two extremely capable post players coming back for their senior year and I doubt a true big would want to sit behind van der Mars and Barker for a year if he's only got two years to play. Same goes for a D1 transfer that could play right away.

That, and this team could use a PF next year. Otherwise you're asking van der Mars, Barker, and Gerun to average 25-30 minutes per game apiece. With foul trouble considered, that can be tough to do on a consistent basis for a big. (Wildcard - contribution from Gabe Taylor)

If it ends up not being a transfer coming in with scholarship #4, I agree with you - a center would fit nicely when you look beyond the graduation armageddon coming next summer.

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:44 pm

My thought is that it seems very convenient that we could get a transfer that needs to sit out this season per NCAA rules, and then will have a cleared out depth chart at the Center position heading into next season

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:39 pm

DTLegend wrote:My thought is that it seems very convenient that we could get a transfer that needs to sit out this season per NCAA rules, and then will have a cleared out depth chart at the Center position heading into next season

I do agree with the idea in theory. Seemed like it would have been a perfect situation for a transfer to come into. Two problems -

1) PF depth in 2014-15 as described in my last post. As it stands, the Pilots are one injury away from relying on Gabe Taylor to make the transition from 3A high school basketball to meaningful minutes for what will hopefully be a decent WCC team next season. I can't state enough how much I hope this happens, but I also don't think the Pilots can rely on it.

2) Just as important, I don't see too many centers on that transfer list that could be a fit. Trevor Thompson is probably the most coveted guy on the list and he'll end up at a high major.

Nolan Berry from Butler is probably next on the wish list with three years still left. According to @BWeixScout, he had heard from Saint Louis, Loyola (IL), Northwestern, Vermont, Davidson, FGCU, and UC Davis as of a couple days ago. So you've got Big 10 and A10 schools in the mix for this guy already.

I would assume John Cannon (Georgia) will get plenty of attention.

Who's left? Cody Johnson from Loyola Chicago is probably the most realistic option because he's at least from the general region (Utah). Started for the Ramblers for a bit but saw minutes diminish as the year went on. Keep in mind I'm just throwing a name at a wall here, don't know a thing about this guy.

My point is that unless I'm overlooking someone or the decision to switch schools hasn't been made yet, I'm just not seeing a name on the transfer list that's worth risking the gamble with the Pilots' PF depth next season. Maybe there's a HS C out there that IS worth the gamble and would be willing to redshirt - I guess we'll find out in the very near future.

Last edited by DeanMurdoch on Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:34 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:...Just as important, I don't see too many names on that transfer list that could be a fit...
What about the aforementioned Simmons from UW?

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:11 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:What about the aforementioned Simmons from UW?

I was only considering transfer centers that would need to sit out a year as per DTLegend's post.

I've seen Simmons described as a tenacious rebounder. Seems like he'd be a great candidate to fill the void at PF left by Rhino!

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:50 pm

I love that the next four recruits coming into the program (as of now) are from Oregon and Washington. Getting more local talent should help our 'brand' and potentially lead to more recruiting success. I hope it can also lead to more fans of the team.

Thinking about the turnover in personnel (outgoing seniors vs. incoming freshmen), and if we are bringing in better players... of course this is based only on recruiting reports, high school performance, and hype:

Todd should be an upgrade over T. Riley.
Taylor should be better than J. Bailey.
Will Tyson be a bigger all-around contributor than Thieleke?
It will be tough to fill Rhino's shoes.

We need a center recruit with a "T" last name to join Todd, Taylor and Tyson!

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:00 pm

up7587 wrote:So, to recap, that's a 6'6" SF, a 6'8" PF, and a 6'6" SG. All from the PNW.

Now, all we need is a C.
Kingsley Okoroh has released a new mixer tape:
I still see him as a "project," but he does take up space.  IMO the speed of the D-1 game will eat him up at first, but he should be able to pull down some rebounds.

Sorry, NPN, no T in his name that I can detect..... Razz 
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:29 pm

@JamieShaw5 wrote:Love the DMarques Tyson pick up for Portland. Great size and a pure shooter off the catch

Anyone else like the sound of that?

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:33 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Word is the 3-star PF has now verbally committed to San Jose St.  The Pilots will get a chance to face him in San Jose next season....
The San Jose State men’s basketball program is anticipating sanctions for next season, due to poor academic performance....but they are "getting better."
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/04/02/san-jose-state-mens-basketball-team-expects-sanctions-over-academic-performance/
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:00 am

up7587 wrote:So heading for his third school, after UCLA and BYU?   Suspect 
Well, maybe not....

Among the schools that have apparently contacted Carlino about transferring.....is UCLA.   Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:51 pm

wrv wrote:Is there a realistic possibility that the Pilots will offer relatively local West Albany player Nate Sherwood?
I see Sherwood was selected to the Oregonian's 5A First Team.....although he's generating interest from a number of schools, he apparently has not received a firm offer yet.  I'm hoping Yale grabs him!

BTW, the 5A POY, Silas Melson, is headed to Gonzaga.  

In other news, apparently Domantas Sabonis, originally from Portland, but living in Malaga is also headed to GU.  Sabonis is of course the son of the legendary Arvydas Sabonis and is one of the most highly thought of European big men headed to college this year....he's 17 years and still growing at 6-10.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:30 pm

The boys basketball rosters for the Oregon-Washington Shootout, featuring Nate Sherwood from West Albany, but no Gabe Taylor. Possible Sherwood was chosen over our pledge? Also listed is one Jason Todd for Washington. Might be a good game.

2014 Oregon Boys
Mike Doherty                                          Head Coach
David Michaelis                                       Asst. Coach

Keaton Bankofier                                     Clackamas High School
Bryan Berg                                              Tigard High School
Tyler Gutierrez                                        Sunset High School
Taylor Harris                                           Sunset High School
Silas Melson                                            Jefferson High School
Arkadiy Mkrtychyan                                 Columbia Christian High School
Malik Morgan                                          Churchill High School
DeVaunte Paschal                                    Jefferson High School
David Shedrick                                        Churchill High School
Nathan Sherwood                                    West Albany High School

2014 Washington Boys
Pat Fitterer                                             Head Coach
Bill Liley                                                 Asst. Coach

Josh Martin                                              Bothell High School
Jamie Orme                                             O'Dea High School (Seattle)
Ahmaad Rorie                                          Lincoln High School
Nathan Streufert                                      Richland High School
Jason Todd                                              Jackson High School
Kaleb Warner                                          Mercer Island High School

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:06 am

wrv wrote:The boys basketball rosters for the Oregon-Washington Shootout, featuring Nate Sherwood from West Albany, but no Gabe Taylor. Possible Sherwood was chosen over our pledge?
I've not seen Sherwood play, and when I've seen Taylor it has not been against the best competition, so it's difficult to make comparisons between the two, but Taylor is the 3A POY and he's apparently been groomed for UP/WCC basketball.  I don't read too much into his non-selection to the O-W Shootout team.

BTW, the games are at 4 PM (girls) and 6 PM (boys) at Liberty High School in Hillsboro on Saturday April 26......
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next