Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 Recruiting

+14
VillaGorilla
blacksheep
KTodd
Bluff dweller
wrv
IronLions
Geezaldinho
joshhorton
Rob's Jacket
oldtimer
DTLegend
NoPoNeighbor
DaTruRochin
DoubleDipper
18 posters

Page 9 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 21  Next

Go down

2014 Recruiting - Page 9 Empty Re: 2014 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:41 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:Also related from Reveno on twitter - "Great day recruiting in Florida. It was long way to come but saw a workout and player that were worth it."
A spy in Sacramento tells me Coach Reveno was in town last week looking at a JUCO player.....don't know if he's a BIG or not.

I kind of get the impression the coaches are not too worried about finding a center....and they are being pretty picky about who they might pick up....someone who will be a really good fit!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11238
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:36 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:Anyone seen Arkadiy Mkrtychyan play? Born in Turkmenistan but represents Armenia internationally, plays AAU for ICP Elite (with Chatman, Melson, Dorsey, etc) and HS for Columbia Christian.

Pilots apparently have "interest" in Arkadiy at this point. He's got offers from Oregon State, Portland State, Seattle, Weber State, and Stony Brook.
Portand Columbia Christian forward Arkadiy Mkrtychyan verbally committed to Idaho today.....seems strange a young man from Turkmenistan wants to go to Moscow.  Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:02 pm

Earlier today from the Seattle area, I believe:
Eric Reveno‏@CoachReveno
Just met with a player who will sign a letter of intent in Nov and am really excited about bringing more quality people and players to UP.
I don't believe any of us on PN have a clue who it is...Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:23 pm

Jon Galloway is taking his official visit to Cal Poly this weekend....sources say he's now ready to sign....we'll just have to see...sources aren't always that reliable.  tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:33 pm

Hmm, just doing the math, and if all the rumors are correct.....UP has no more scholarships to give for 2014.

1. SF Jason Todd
2. PF Gabe Taylor
3. Unknown from Eastern Europe, perhaps
4. Unknown from Seattle area

Really?  We have no more speculating to do except guessing a couple of names?  Gotta get a life.....Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:56 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:

Really?  We have no more speculating to do except guessing a couple of names?  Gotta get a life.....Razz
Shoot....

I haven't heard one name from 2017.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:03 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Earlier today from the Seattle area, I believe:
Eric Reveno‏@CoachReveno
Just met with a player who will sign a letter of intent in Nov and am really excited about bringing more quality people and players to UP.
I don't believe any of us on PN have a clue who it is...Rolling Eyes
Couldn't this just be in reference to Todd, if Rev truly was in the Seattle area?

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:45 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:1. SF Jason Todd
2. PF Gabe Taylor
3. Unknown from Eastern Europe, perhaps
4. Unknown from Seattle area
Well I'm guessing #4 and #1 are the same...and I've seen no confirmation of #3. So there's plenty of rampant speculation left to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:41 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Couldn't this just be in reference to Todd, if Rev truly was in the Seattle area?
Oh yea....I probably just got too excited thinking we snagged someone huge who was under the radar.  Razz 

I guess KT will have to check-in to confirm it, but yes, it was probably Todd.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Shoot....
I haven't heard one name from 2017.
Not so fast there, Geezer....you spoke of Jaylen Nowell, Class of 2017 here:

https://www.pilotnation.net/t5211-2017-recruiting tongue 
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by KTodd Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:37 am

Yes, confirmed.  Good meeting with Coach.

Tune in to College GameDay this morning, Jason and his sister are there - 4:30 AM wake up call.  Prepping for those UP early practices.

KTodd
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:17 am

KTodd wrote:Tune in to College GameDay this morning, Jason and his sister are there - 4:30 AM wake up call.  
Kids!!

Wouldn't it be nice if they bounded out of bed so easily to go to school......Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:20 pm

With offers from virtually every college, including UP, 7 foot center Thomas Welch was spotted at UCLA this past weekend on an "unofficial" visit.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:55 pm

A reminder from the compliance office to coaches:  
30 days to signing day! Even though you've got solid verbal commitments public comments and publicity about recruits is still prohibited.

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:32 am

DD, have you ever violated this rule prohibiting comments and publicity about recruits? And, if so, is there anyone who has violated the rule more? I think you and Dean Murdoch may need to find a chalk board on which to write 100 times that you will not violate the rule. Or is there a loose interpretation of this rule of which we should be aware?

I enjoy the info but now that we know you have been wantonly ignoring the solemn directives of our esteemed NCAA and the clear public wishes of the U, perhaps we should . . .shut down the website . . .ban violators . . .seek public apologies . . .

Maybe I missed something and this is tongue in cheek.

Your reply and that of Mr. Murdoch would be appreciated

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:31 am

The rule is just for coaches and athletic departments making public comments about specific unsigned student-athletes - if it applied to everyone, there'd be a whole bunch of people (@jucorecruiting, @TheRecruitScoop, Verbal Commits, etc) that'd be shut down.

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:29 am

While DD may in fact hold the record for UP NCAA violations, this is one rule that doesn't apply to him. jocolor 

Recruiting information usually comes for the recruit himself or from their family/friends. It's then just repeated at sites like this. There is no rule against recruits telling the public where they are going, but the coaches can't say anything until they student has signed.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:36 am

wrv wrote: I think you and Dean Murdoch may need to find a chalk board on which to write 100 times that you will not violate the rule. Or is there a loose interpretation of this rule of which we should be aware?

Ha-ha, not bothered much about writing anything 100 times; the biggest hurdle will be find a chalk board to do it on.  Seems to me the only place we see those anymore are in bars and restaurants advertising the changing brews and menu items.  Laughing

As our PN colleagues have already noted, the compliance message and rule applies to the school staff.....not to the fans or the student-athlete and his or her family and friends.

What does apply to us on PN is communicating in any form with the potential student/athlete prior to his or her enrollment and attendance of classes at UP, or whatever college they attend.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluff dweller Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:41 pm

wrv wrote:DD, have you ever violated this rule prohibiting comments and publicity about recruits? And, if so, is there anyone who has violated the rule more? I think you and Dean Murdoch may need to find a chalk board on which to write 100 times that you will not violate the rule. Or is there a loose interpretation of this rule of which we should be aware?

I enjoy the info but now that we know you have been wantonly ignoring the solemn directives of our esteemed NCAA and the clear public wishes of the U, perhaps we should . . .shut down the website . . .ban violators . . .seek public apologies . . .

Maybe I missed something and this is tongue in cheek.

Yeah, it's not a violation for normal fans to comment on recruits. It's just a problem if an official University coach or admin. does it.

Bluff dweller
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:32 pm

Bluff dweller wrote:
Yeah, it's not a violation for normal fans to comment on recruits. It's just a problem if an official University coach or admin. does it.
Not that easy. Here is the rulebook :
“13.02.14 Representative of Athletics Interests. A “representative of the institution’s athletics interests” is an individual, independent agency, corporate entity (e.g., apparel or equipment manufacturer) or other organization who is known (or who should have been known) by a member of the institution’s executive or athletics administration to: (Revised: 2/16/00)
(a) Have participated in or to be a member of an agency or organization promoting the institution’s intercollegiate athletics program;
(b) Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution;
(c) Be assisting or to have been requested (by the athletics department staff) to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes;
(d) Be assisting or to have assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families; or
(e) Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution’s athletics program.
13.02.14.1 Duration of Status. Once an individual, independent agency, corporate entity or other organization is identified as such a representative, the person, independent agency, corporate entity or other organization retains that identity indefinitely. (Revised: 2/16/00)

Excerpt From: NCAA. “2012-13 Division I Manual.”
This material may be protected by copyright.
Tell me what part of talking about the program and recruits is NOT promoting the program. That is what Pilotnation does.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:57 pm

Well, if someone decides to enforce the literal interpretation of that rule, the good news is that there'll be 350 other schools in violation as well Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:06 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Tell me what part of talking about the program and recruits is NOT promoting the program. That is what Pilotnation does.
All true.....but nothing in that prohibits us from communicating ABOUT a recruit.....however, by rule, we are NOT allowed to communicate WITH a recuit until they become a student attending classes.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:33 pm

DeanMurdochs defence is a better one, though a BCS school has a much better chance of beating the rap than little UP.

SMC is a case in point. Compare them to the penalties BCS schools haven't gotten.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:19 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Jon Galloway is taking his official visit to Cal Poly this weekend....sources say he's now ready to sign....we'll just have to see...sources aren't always that reliable.  tongue
Galloway to visit UC Irvine this weekend and will make a decision next week, according to @JoshGershon. I guess considering he only visited Cal Poly and UC Irvine following the other guy committing to Montana, it'll likely be between those two schools.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:16 am

A bit of an update to Deaner's list....
DeanMurdoch wrote:Here's your August 26 recruiting update! Rating after each name is just from ESPN.

SG
Kaleb Warner - 69 (**) - SG/SF just short of getting 3 stars from ESPN but is not even listed on Scout or Rivals, showing how inconsistent these nat'l recruiting DBs are. Offers listed from UP and PSU, but there are more likely others. VC Pacific
Robbie Berwick - 66 (**) - Scout gives him 3 stars. At least 10 offers outstanding including one from an ACC school (Florida State). .VC Florida St.
Ronnie Harrell
- NR - not even listed on ESPN, but 3 stars from both Scout and Rivals. The high majors agree with the latter two, as he's visiting Purdue and Kansas State in fall. Probably safe to say he's not an option. VC Creighton
Grant Sims - NR - down to Portland, Illinois-Chicago, UT Martin, UNC Asheville, and Maryville (D2). Air Force with recent offer as well. VC Illinois-Chicago

SF
Temidayo Yussuf - 66 (**) - other offers from LMU, Pacific, and a bunch of Big West and Big Sky schools. VC Long Beach St.
Spencer Mathis - 62 (**) - not on Scout, on Rivals but no rating. According to the Las Vegas Prospects, will visit Portland, Santa Clara, Northern Colorado, and Grand Canyon in the fall. VC Northern Colorado
Jason Todd - NR - not on ESPN or Rivals, on Scout but no rating. Other offers from Pacific and Santa Clara.  VC Portland!

PF
Gabe Taylor might be committed, but the Pilots may well add another here. VC Portland
Evan Fitzner - 71 (***) - 3 stars from Scout, no rating from Rivals. Offers from half the Pac-12 so he's probably gone.VC St. Mary's
Joe Furstinger - 70 (***) - 3 stars from Scout and Rivals as well. Visited Pepperdine a couple days ago. Has offers from half the WCC. VC New Mexico
Devinir Duruisseau - 69 (**) - 3 stars from Scout, not listed on Rivals. LMU, Pepperdine among other offers for him.
Jacob Lampkin - 66 (**) - Not on Scout or Rivals. Also has offers from Pacific and out east from Dartmouth and American. VC Pacific

C
Thomas Welsh - 80 (****) - 4 stars from Scout and Rivals too. If the coaching staff lands this guy I'll FedEx them 24 of Saskatchewan's finest Pilsner. Trimmed his list to Stanford, Cal, and UCLA.
Added, and still on the board, since August 26:

PG
Oliver Tot 6'6" 200 from Slovakia via Kimball Union Academy in New Hampshire.  Known to have offers from Lehigh, William & Mary, and UP.

C
Jon Galloway, 6'10" 225 from Richmond, CA Looks to be narrowing it down to Cal Poly SLO or Cal Irvine.Known offers from Cal Davis, Pacific, Pepperdine, and Sacramento St.  VC Cal Irvine 10/27 

Remember, these are only recuits we know about....there are others being recruited in Europe and at the high school and JUCO level in the US.

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:36 pm; edited 4 times in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 21  Next