Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2020-21 Schedule

+14
optimist
bullwinkle
Sound Voltex
Snus Junction
StudentPilot
Kevin
dholcombe
Aussie Baller
NoPoNeighbor
JimmAlacki
deprofundis
Geezaldinho
DoubleDipper
Dean Murdoch
18 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

2020-21 Schedule - Page 7 Empty Re: 2020-21 Schedule

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:16 pm

Good to see the guys get aggressive on the boards in the second half and pull out a much needed victory heading into the Christmas break.  As unusual as it is to see the Pilots come from behind and then hold the lead to the finish, their aggressiveness on both ends of the court was the key.

Two things I've never seen at a Pilots game before:

1. The Pilots made 25-26 free throws and won by 3 points, however, 3 of those made free-throws were do-overs after MSU lane violations on the initial missed shots.

2. Fortunately, hanging on the rim is not necessarily a foul anymore, as both Curtiss and Jones were hanging and swinging there together at one point after following a missed shot.

Players of the game: Davis, Jones and Curtiss because of their work inside.  I thought Curtiss should have been credited with a 7th block, which would have tied the UP records set over 30 years ago...but he's got time on his side.

Barring any changes, next up is Seattle U. on the road on December 30th.  The Redhawks led Cal most of the game today in Berkeley before losing it in the last two minutes.

WCC play for the Pilots was supposed to begin in Stockton on January 2nd, but as UOP is paused due to COVID, the Pilots may play another opponent or just stay home and practice.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11391
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2020-21 Schedule - Page 7 Empty Watched recording and Comcast cut away with 45 seconds left.

Post by Snus Junction Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:35 pm

Great effort especially after ragged 1st half. Gotta say, I am impressed. with then team’s effort. Interesting approach to fire your entire team of last year(s) and replace with talented and under appreciated JUCOs.

Snus Junction
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2020-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:21 pm

The lane violations cost them the game.
DD wrote:
2. Fortunately, hanging on the rim is not necessarily a foul anymore, as both Curtiss and Jones were hanging and swinging there together at one point after following a missed shot.
you can swing all you want to protect your landing. Especially with an opponent in the arc.  You have to be pulling up pretty hard to get noticed..

The second half was a great team effort, even with the late mistakes. The first half had a couple of good efforts and lackluster play from some.

That won’t be enough in the WCC season, I’m afraid, but maybe they’ll figure out how to keep it together for 40  minutes by then.

When they want to, they play with better energy than recent teams. Last year a 10 pt deficit was death.

I hope Curtiss keeps doing what he did today.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11823
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:21 pm

optimist wrote:is it to early to get out the broom?!?!  
PSU had OSU on the ropes late with a good chance of winning when a ref called a PSU player for a moving screen giving the ball and the game to OSU tonight.

Replay after replay showed the player was set and not moving...an awful call, an OSU victory, and Tinkle can coach a while longer, but Beaver Nation is not happy.

(PSU and OSU have now met 15 times in total, and PSU is still looking for its first victory).

KenPom rankings:

#19 UO
#134 OSU
#266 UP
#310 PSU

Again/still, KP is predicting UP will not win another game this season...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by GoPilots19 Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:53 pm

Its worth noting that finding ways to win ugly games is a skill within itself. However my long standing concern with this group is just how talented most of the rest of the WCC is at this point

GoPilots19
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2020-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:28 am

I think we are up against it in Seattle. That team has pretty good chemistry.

The Cal Bears were missing two of their best players so probably shouldn't been as close as it was, but they gave pretty good effort and team chemistry looks pretty darn good.

They have some nice pieces up there. That coach is excellent. Maybe the UP athletic director will take note and try to steal him!
Kevin
Kevin
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2020-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:56 pm

Snus Junction wrote:Any chance ESPN picks up the Seattle U game?
Nope!

The game will be streamed at https://www.wacdigitalnetwork.com/?bfplayvid=214092
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:29 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Snus Junction wrote:Any chance ESPN picks up the Seattle U game?
Nope!

The game will be streamed at https://www.wacdigitalnetwork.com/?bfplayvid=214092
Having already lost at home to Seattle U., it is expected the Pilots will also lose in Seattle this evening at 6pm.

Although UP is struggling offensively, they have been very good at the foul line.  If they can continue to get multiple attempts and continue to shoot 82.5% they have a chance of turning the tables on the Redhawks.

Long bus ride each direction in rain today, a win will make it a lot easier.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:07 pm

Oh...dear....me....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11823
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Aussie Baller Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:15 pm

Offensively disgraceful, 22-64

I have no idea what Porter is trying to do on offence, some of the shot selection and shooting is little league stuff. Think our Aussie boy needs to get out of the joint,
QUICKLY
Great to see Aussie Kobe Wiliamson, playing 32 min, 7 points, 2/6 with a real licence, 1/2 from 3, and he aint a shooter.

Not to sure how many Ws are coming in conference play, but from what i have seen, and read, cant see it being to many. Pain for the Pilots.

Aussie Baller
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2020-06-02

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7