Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bringing Back Porter

+21
pilots#1
SpikeHoops
VillaGorilla
The Wingman
JimmAlacki
lomiton
blacksheep
optimist
bullwinkle
Woodless 2.0
SoCal_Pilot
Dean Murdoch
ExpatPilot
dholcombe
StudentPilot
NoPoNeighbor
bobtcat2
mikemac65
Geezaldinho
DoubleDipper
wrv
25 posters

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Bringing Back Porter - Page 5 Empty Re: Bringing Back Porter

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:12 pm

lomiton wrote:  I know earlier in the thread you were told by multiple insiders they didn't have the resources -- has that changed since then?  Thanks in advance!
Canzano’s dream and mine are the same…TP should retire gracefully back to Blazerland. If TP leaves, regardless of the mechanism used to make it happen, I’m confident it will be called “retirement,” as it does neither UP nor TP any good to say otherwise.

Regarding the resources available to see TP leave, sorry, I have no update…in fact it has been very, very quiet on the Porter front on campus this week.  

However, I was recently in a meeting that included a discussion of some of the UP budget that included the needed athletic facility upgrades/additions and the very strong need for dollars for scholarships and to cover the ever-increasing cost of salaries and employee benefits without raising tuition…again.

My conclusion was there was just not enough money available to pay Paul without robbing Peter…plus it sets a poor precedent and is demoralizing to faculty and staff when someone could be so richly rewarded for failing while the average successful UP employee might find higher wages elsewhere.

On a positive note for those wanting change, me included, two regents have said, “we’re working on it” when it comes to passing the hat in front of those who pushed to hire TP four years ago.  I saw both of those regents sitting with the vice-president for athletics (Scott's official title) at the (UP) President’s Biennial Address this past Tuesday.

As I and others have mentioned before, I don’t see why TP would come back next season now that his sons are gone…both leaving with a year of eligibility remaining. Rolling Eyes

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11391
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmAlacki Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:09 am

If the boosters are so enthralled about Porter, the danger lies in anything better than the first 4 years resulting in an extension. UP athletic department will provide a schedule that will have more cream puffs than a local bakery.

JimmAlacki
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2019-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:57 am

JimmAlacki wrote: UP athletic department will provide a schedule that will have more cream puffs than a local bakery.
For UP students and the many kids that now attend the games, who the Pilots play doesn't matter, and to some extent, winning doesn't either.

I cannot speak for those who are older, but most of us just want to be entertained and support our basketball player and dance team classmates. And if you look at the line for Pilot autographs after the Pilots have been trounced, you get a different perspective...the Pilots' opponent and winning and losing are not that important to some.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:16 pm

JimmAlacki wrote:If the boosters are so enthralled about Porter, the danger lies in anything better than the first 4 years resulting in an extension.  UP athletic department will provide a schedule that will have more cream puffs than a local bakery.

Would have to win the conference.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11823
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by optimist Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:21 am

The boys might be able to take one or maybe even two games in Vegas...but even if they do, a press conf should already be prepared for Monday March 9 announcing a change in head coach (search for new, interim) so that the ship can start to be turned immediately. Not another second should be wasted. A huge mistake was made and it needs to be fixed (should have been done last year or even during this season). Perhaps they can find an appropriate slot in the athletic Dept for TP to get some value for his 500k. But it is time for a change in the head coach slot that is long past due. If they don't, it will only get worse next year...is that is even possible?!

optimist
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2019-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmAlacki Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:29 pm

How many players will stay if he leaves and how many will leave if he stays?

JimmAlacki
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:39 pm

Some of the current players seem very loyal to Coach Porter, based on their twitter comments. I have never talked to them, so I can't really know how they feel.

Right now five players are gone: seniors White and Harewood, Malcolm (we assume since he was recognized at Senior Night), Collinsworth and Hogland transferring. Only one recruit, Triplett has committed that I recall.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:36 pm

up7587 wrote:Right now five players are gone: seniors White and Harewood, Malcolm (we assume since he was recognized at Senior Night), Collinsworth and Hogland transferring.  Only one recruit, Triplett has committed that I recall.  
You're correct, there are currently four open scholarships for next season.

Regardless of who the coaches will be next season, I would like to see two of the departing players come back, Isaiah White and Lavar Harewood...as graduate assistants!

Unless they end up playing professional ball next fall, both will be back at UP for their second and final year to complete their MBA studies.  Both Isaiah and Lavar are leaders in the locker room and on the court, and I've often observed them acting as leaders even when not playing.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:44 pm

JimmAlacki wrote:How many players will stay if he leaves and how many will leave if he stays?
If the NCAA adopts the proposal that would allow first-time transfers to play immediately at their new school, there could be a wholesale change of players and coaches at UP in the next season or two.

But that could happen at many other schools too...which could be looked upon as an opportunity as much as a liability when you consider the performance of the Pilots over the past couple of seasons. pale

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar -- as if anyone would notice.)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:00 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Maybe Shantay Legans at Eastern Washington? In his third year at EWU, team is 16-7 and 136 in Kenpom.

Don't look now, but after their nicest win of the year on Saturday (a road victory over Northern Colorado) EWU is now 21-8, up to #125 in the Kenpoms, and tied for first in the Big Sky.

I can't be the only one noticing the great work Coach Legans is doing in Cheney!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:11 pm

DoubleDipper wrote: You're correct, there are currently four open scholarships for next season.

Shocked
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by optimist Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:32 pm

I bet chase Adams would leave if TP goes. It feels like he is struggling to fit into his role...defense and distribution. I'm guessing Josh Phillips is going to see the writing on the wall and exit like collingsworth did. Too bad hogland left...he could have helped us this year and next. So, I predict six new recruits coming in addition to Triplett.

optimist
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by lomiton Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:45 am

optimist wrote:The boys might be able to take one or maybe even two games in Vegas...but even if they do, a press conf should already be prepared for Monday March 9 announcing a change in head coach (search for new, interim) so that the ship can start to be turned immediately.  Not another second should be wasted.  A huge mistake was made and it needs to be fixed (should have been done last year or even during this season).  Perhaps they can find an appropriate slot in the athletic Dept for TP to get some value for his 500k.  But it is time for a change in the head coach slot that is long past due.  If they don't, it will only get worse next year...is that is even possible?!

Opty: I wouldn't hold my breath for a press conference on the 9th as it's an unwritten rule that the post season tournament is left "news free" so all attention can be placed on the on-court results. Although I'm doubting national fan/WCC fan/PacNW based fan would even be paying on spittle of attention even if were to happen during the 2nd half of tonight's game.

Oh, GO PILOTS!

lomiton
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmAlacki Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:54 am

UP does not know how to win, but UP knows how to lose.

It will be business as usual next year.

JimmAlacki
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:41 pm

On the bright side, our band was way better than Santa Clara’s and the dance team was awesome.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by optimist Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:50 pm

lomiton wrote:
optimist wrote:The boys might be able to take one or maybe even two games in Vegas...but even if they do, a press conf should already be prepared for Monday March 9 announcing a change in head coach (search for new, interim) so that the ship can start to be turned immediately.  Not another second should be wasted.  A huge mistake was made and it needs to be fixed (should have been done last year or even during this season).  Perhaps they can find an appropriate slot in the athletic Dept for TP to get some value for his 500k.  But it is time for a change in the head coach slot that is long past due.  If they don't, it will only get worse next year...is that is even possible?!

Opty: I wouldn't hold my breath for a press conference on the 9th as it's an unwritten rule that the post season tournament is left "news free" so all attention can be placed on the on-court results.  Although I'm doubting national fan/WCC fan/PacNW based fan would even be paying on spittle of attention even if were to happen during the 2nd half of tonight's game.

Oh, GO PILOTS!
After the big three, this league is wide open every year. Look at Pepperdine...just a few years ago the bottom of the barrel. Get a few quality players, surround them with the right supporting cast, coach 'em up and voila! UP should be able to compete for fourth every year and get into the top three on occasion. So press conf, or not, lets start the transition asap! There is some work to be done.

optimist
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by SpikeHoops Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:49 am

Hire Rodrick Rhodes at Concordia. He only had one season due to the school closing (not his fault obviously) and had a bunch of returning players from the previous staff that were not his recruits. Great coach, great person !!! Would be a great hire !!!

SpikeHoops
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2020-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by lomiton Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:25 pm

The Wingman wrote: We’re fortunate to have an AD of the quality of Scott Leykam. He’s a pro and he’ll guide us out of this unfortunate position. Leykam has made very successful hires in men’s and women’s soccer, volleyball, baseball and women’s basketball. He’ll get it right this time.

Winger: As we get to next week your statement above is going to be front and center. If one looks at Leykam's AD reign on a percentage basis in the hiring department, hard to argue with.  If one were to weight the hires, like Men's Hoop gets a 10X multiplier due to obvious reasons, that doesn't grade out so good.  He own's the Porter hire and he can't have an even remotely similar result with the next one. And to Opti's point - Leykam needs to be announcing that search sooner versus later.  

A young energetic coach would be great.  So would an old hand that has connections/plan that can get in here and "plug and play." Don't care. I too agree that UP should be competitive with the middle of the WCC and on occasion rise above it. Portland area has too many good basketball players and is too nice a city to settle for anything below that. It's not a lot to ask frankly.

Basketball  Basketball  Basketball

lomiton
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:22 pm

lomiton wrote:
The Wingman wrote: We’re fortunate to have an AD of the quality of Scott Leykam. He’s a pro and he’ll guide us out of this unfortunate position. Leykam has made very successful hires in men’s and women’s soccer, volleyball, baseball and women’s basketball. He’ll get it right this time.

Winger: As we get to next week your statement above is going to be front and center. If one looks at Leykam's AD reign on a percentage basis in the hiring department, hard to argue with.  If one were to weight the hires, like Men's Hoop gets a 10X multiplier due to obvious reasons, that doesn't grade out so good.  He own's the Porter hire and he can't have an even remotely similar result with the next one. And to Opti's point - Leykam needs to be announcing that search sooner versus later.  

A young energetic coach would be great.  So would an old hand that has connections/plan that can get in here and "plug and play." Don't care. I too agree that UP should be competitive with the middle of the WCC and on occasion rise above it. Portland area has too many good basketball players and is too nice a city to settle for anything below that. It's not a lot to ask frankly.

Basketball  Basketball  Basketball

What makes this exchange funny is that Laikam fired your dream (a guy who could compete with the middle and occasionally Rise above it) and hired Porter to get where we are now.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:36 am

According to the LMU board, the rumour is that their AD Craig Pintens is already interviewing candidates and will “meet” with Dunlap tomorrow.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:20 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:According to the LMU board, the rumour is that their AD Craig Pintens is already interviewing candidates and will “meet” with Dunlap tomorrow.
The OSAA 6A Boys Tournament starts Thursday in the Chiles Center...if we don't see any UP coaches there we can start our own rumor...or maybe we'll hear something sooner. tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by lomiton Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:23 pm

Geezaldinho wrote: What makes this exchange funny is that Laikam fired your dream (a guy who could compete with the middle and occasionally Rise above it) and hired Porter to get where we are now.

Geezer: Ironically I was just fine with Reveno (honestly) and bummed he was let go, but I understood the thinking...he had been there long enough and the trend was downward. I wasn't necessarily jacked at the time about Porter but I got the appeal; local, Blazer. All-star, NBA coaching experience. Then he hired some experience on the bench and I got to thinking this might just work out. In the end, not so much.

No use crying over spilled milk. The powers that be just need to get on with it. This situation is not going to "smell" better as time goes on.

2XDipper: How's the money search coming? In hand yet? Timing? Inquiring minds want to know!

lomiton
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:49 pm

I wish Reveno had hired a stronger staff. I think his last hire came from AAU. Ironic that GT hired him as asst. We needed that kind of strong hires IMO. But was there money for that, IDK.
But I have no knowledge of what else was going on. Personalities, money demands, budget, etc., that led to making the change. We were all dismayed that Rev's teams couldn't seem to execute an end line out of bounds play. Terry Porter brought a lot of excitement to many in the Pilot community, but hasn't worked out.

Last edited by up7587 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:58 pm

And there it is.

@GoodmanHoops wrote: Loyola Marymount has parted ways with Mike Dunlap, source told @Stadium.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:36 pm

On the Porter front... this from Friday:

@johncanzanobft wrote: University of Portland basketball coach Terry Porter will meet with UP AD Scott Leykam next week, per source in Porter’s camp.

Porter went 9-23 this season. He’s 37-92 in four seasons at UP. WCC record: 7-61.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next