Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bringing Back Porter

+21
pilots#1
SpikeHoops
VillaGorilla
The Wingman
JimmAlacki
lomiton
blacksheep
optimist
bullwinkle
Woodless 2.0
SoCal_Pilot
Dean Murdoch
ExpatPilot
dholcombe
StudentPilot
NoPoNeighbor
bobtcat2
mikemac65
Geezaldinho
DoubleDipper
wrv
25 posters

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Bringing Back Porter - Page 10 Empty Re: Bringing Back Porter

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:14 pm

Coaching changes in 2018 - 55
Coaching changes in 2019 - 60

This year, there's been 11 firings/parting of ways/resignations since the season ended. Just 5 of those 11 since the Rudy Gobert domino fell last Wednesday night. It's all at a standstill, and for good reason.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:25 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
NY Times wrote:WASHINGTON — A federal government plan to combat the coronavirus warned policymakers last week that a pandemic “will last 18 months or longer” and could include “multiple waves,” resulting in widespread shortages that would strain consumers and the nation’s health care system.
The federal government plan would seem to indicate we've got a lot more to be concerned with than a new coach to replace Terry Porter or a lack of toilet paper.

If the dire prediction that the pandemic will last 18 months or more comes to fruition, it would mean the Pilots will go undefeated next season (as will all the other teams) and Porter's contract will simply expire in April 2021.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-plan.html

I’m not worried. The Mango in Chief says it will be gone by April.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11823
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:14 pm

lomiton wrote: DoubleDip are you suggesting that UP bank on the pandemic cancelling next year's basketball season?

UP administration has a job to do - they need to get on with doing it.
Hmm, no I wasn't suggesting UP should count on not playing a 20-21 season, but it may make a great deal of economic sense for a school that is financially dependent on tuition to not squander $500,000 on one coach while paying another when UP may need the money to keep its doors open due to the uncertainty of the future...worldwide.

I'm sure Fr. Mark and his staff are concerned about everyone's health and welfare, but he's also got to be concerned about the future of the school after seeing two Portland universities that were as old as UP close in the last two years.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11391
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:04 pm

Does this mean I don’t win the pool?

Today was my day.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:21 pm

32 years ago...

Bringing Back Porter - Page 10 Tp_8810
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:35 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:Coaching changes in 2018 - 55
Coaching changes in 2019 - 60

This year, there's been 11 firings/parting of ways/resignations since the season ended. Just 5 of those 11 since the Rudy Gobert domino fell last Wednesday night. It's all at a standstill, and for good reason.
Today LMU hired Marquette's top recruiter, Stan Johnson, as their new head coach.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28931534/loyola-marymount-turns-marquette-stan-johnson-coach
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by lomiton Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:44 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
lomiton wrote: DoubleDip are you suggesting that UP bank on the pandemic cancelling next year's basketball season?

UP administration has a job to do - they need to get on with doing it.
Hmm, no I wasn't suggesting UP should count on not playing a 20-21 season, but it may make a great deal of economic sense for a school that is financially dependent on tuition to not squander $500,000 on one coach while paying another when UP may need the money to keep its doors open due to the uncertainty of the future...worldwide.

I'm sure Fr. Mark and his staff are concerned about everyone's health and welfare, but he's also got to be concerned about the future of the school after seeing two Portland universities that were as old as UP close in the last two years.

Dipper - let me stipulate the following:

If UP administration is prioritizing pandemic over the replacement of it's men's basketball coach I have NO problem with that.

That does not mean I wouldn't like to the see the school moving forward on the basketball front as staff hiring/recruiting is going on as you read this. I think a delay (no matter how legitimate the reason) puts the Pilots at a disadvantage, even if it's a small one. UP men's basketball doesn't need more disadvantages than it already has.

As you pointed out, the current health situation has not stopped conference mate LMU from moving forward.

However the larger point I would like to make ties into the first post I made on this thread and your latest...if UP administration is concerned that having a replacement coach on payroll at the same time they are paying off Coach Porter will ratchet up concerns about Portland being a viable educational entity (ala Marylhurst and Concordia) - then PORTLAND SHOULD DROP D-1 BASKETBALL.

Paying two coaches at one time is a(an unfortunate) cost of doing business at the D-1 level. If that money is needed to keep the doors open then get rid of the unnecessary overhead, like D-1 sports. Again, if UP can't afford to compete they need to go some level appropriate level where it can.

lomiton
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:25 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Today LMU hired Marquette's top recruiter, Stan Johnson, as their new head coach.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28931534/loyola-marymount-turns-marquette-stan-johnson-coach

Wait, what? This guy lived on my floor back in my first year at college. Small world!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:05 pm

In a normal year I think we wouldn't be expecting to hear about a coach until after the final four and coaches conference in April. While it would be nice to have word sooner if action is going to be taken I don't think the lack of word so far is cause to worry or assume that now action will be taken. There is still a lot of off season to go and the financial aspect has become more complex.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:53 pm

Coaching moves continue to happen.....slowly. Alcorn State fired their men's and women's coaches today.

Still quiet in Pilot land. scratch
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:29 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Coaching moves continue to happen.....slowly. Alcorn State fired their men's and women's coaches today.

Still quiet in Pilot land. scratch

Maybe we can hire the guy.

His team went 11-7 in conference and 15-15 overall.

He’d be a hero here.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:39 am

Bringing Back Porter - Page 10 Screen32
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:56 am

lomiton wrote:If the school administration is trying to cobble together money to get this done, last week's financial gyrations certainly weren't helpful.
Everyone's investment portfolios are their lowest ever, including UP's and that of any "booster" who might have contributed to a buyout.

TP, who may have considered retirement now that his sons are gone from the team, also found his financial worth (on paper) greatly diminished and realized retirement was not an option.

UP could not afford to pay Porter, Cantu, and a new head coach...it's as simple as that!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by lomiton Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:00 pm

https://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/2020/03/canzano-university-of-portland-stands-by-mens-basketball-coach-terry-porter.html

Well you all know where I stand. If Portland can't afford to do this, then it can't afford to be in D-1 hoops. No excuses for this - including the economy.

Get a real coach, a real AD and and a real University President and try again.

lomiton
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:17 pm

Bringing Back Porter - Page 10 516c28ae4dc99514fc252e29b1d95099
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:53 pm

This program just continues to disappoint me. I wish I could say that I am flabbergasted by this, but I'm not. It continues to prove the U's lack of priority in making the program successful. I don't know how they can convince anyone now that they are taking the necessary steps to be competitive, or how donations to the 6th Man Fund are making a difference.

I encourage everyone to let their feelings be known directly to the University now and the next time they ask for your money...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:55 pm

See you all this time next year!

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 781
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:21 pm

How utterly despairing. After 20 years of being season ticket holders, going to the tournament, and being Pilot Club members, my wife and I gave it all up last year to send a message (also sent a letter to Leykam). I planned on renewing the day it was announced he was leaving. I'd have done the same if it was announced he was retiring (or that we were just paying him to stay home) and one of the assistants would be the interim for the next year. My heart goes out to the coaches and staff who have to do public speaking about the program.

We started going to the women's games last year. What fun! They deserve every accolade. Talk about a tale of two programs!

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:25 pm

Hmm.....first thought that came to my head was.....how disgusting.

I really don’t have many words right now......
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:38 pm

I'm really looking forward to going to a bunch of the women's games next season, but I'm not spending any time or money on this dumpster fire of a men's program anymore.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 875

Back to top Go down

Post by lomiton Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:13 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
lomiton wrote:If the school administration is trying to cobble together money to get this done, last week's financial gyrations certainly weren't helpful.
Everyone's investment portfolios are their lowest ever, including UP's and that of any "booster" who might have contributed to a buyout.

TP, who may have considered retirement now that his sons are gone from the team, also found his financial worth (on paper) greatly diminished and realized retirement was not an option.

UP could not afford to pay Porter, Cantu, and a new head coach...it's as simple as that!

Dip:  As crappy as the stock market is at this point in time it is still ahead of were we were back at 2016 elections. So I don't buy the fact that everyone's investment portfolios are at their "lowest ever." *Not going to argue that it doesn't suck regardless of how we got here.

TP made approximately $80 million (eighty MILLION dollars) in his NBA career. If he did that bad a job with his financial planning he deserves to suffer another year as the hapless coach of a hapless team. *As I have said previously if he has a contract and is willing to honor it then it's up to the employer to figure it out how to terminate it, not the employee with the contract.

UP not being able to afford this is either laughable or embarrassing - and maybe even both. No one likes to pay off people for "not working" and then have to pay someone "to work" but it's not like this is NEW NEWS to people involved in athletics/entertainment.  The fact that we are in the box rests squarely on school administration. As far as I am concerned Poorman and Leykam can eat Top Ramen instead of indulging at the faculty dining hall if that helps alleviate the situation.

The bottom line is we are stealing money and credibility from every team in the WCC, from the money maker Gonzaga to the willing to pull the trigger LMU. We either need new leadership or we need to get in a situation where hiring coaches at $500k per is not the norm. That situation is out of D-1 and into D-2 or NAIA. *I am aware that the other sports are currently successful in the field of play, but I'll bet none of them carries their own financial costs, let along bringing a profit to the university.

Un-frickin-believable

lomiton
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by optimist Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:37 pm

The interim route would have been a much better way to go...if they can't even afford that, then up has bigger problems. A travesty for all involved...student athletes, staff, fans. At least an interim would have had program continuity and a hope of recruiting some decent kids who see a possible future. Now, they will see a deadend. And if Terry gets fired mid season, the interim won't have any players to work with. Sad, sad, sad day.

optimist
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2019-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmAlacki Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:59 pm

Blame it on the Corona virus- They have told people about social distancing. As a result the Pilots can keep Porter and not violate the ban on crowds more than 25 people.

I wonder if they will have the balls to ask me to renew my 4 seats for this year.

JimmAlacki
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2019-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmAlacki Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:03 pm

FloridaPilot wrote:See you all this time next year!

Wait till you see giving Porter an extension for the 21-22 season

JimmAlacki
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2019-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:16 pm

bullwinkle wrote:How utterly despairing.  After 20 years of being season ticket holders, going to the tournament, and being Pilot Club members, my wife and I gave it all up last year to send a message (also sent a letter to Leykam).  
For some perspective, this decision was made above the AD level and contrary to his plan...I hope he doesn't fall on his sword over it. Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next