Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bringing back Porter - 2021 Edition!

+2
Geezaldinho
lomiton
6 posters

Go down

Bringing back Porter - 2021 Edition! Empty Bringing back Porter - 2021 Edition!

Post by lomiton Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:56 pm

So the April 15th signing day has come and gone and it looks like the Pilots are going to be able to field a team!  Lots of different pieces and parts (to quote myself from another topic:)

Barring some miracle, Porter is not going to be back the (2021-22) following season. Therefore players are going to look at joining the Pilots only as their last best option. Kids that are borderline D-1, injury issues where no one really wants to take a chance on them, troublemakers, players that want a different role (like being the main man) vs. taking a perceived lessor role some place else.

By my non-expert analysis it doesn't looks like my crystal ball was that far off.  That said, it looks like the crew looks hungry and things to prove so who knows how everything will turn out; it is after all, why they play the games.  

So while I await the new 5 year rebuild plan that unfortunately starts in earnest two years from now, my hypothetical question and topic discussion to what is left of the Pilot Nation is this:

Under what set of circumstances does UP administration and Terry Porter agree to stay in partnership beyond March 2021?

• Pilot NCAA bid?
  • Beating Gonzaga?
  • Pandemic continues?
  • Porter says he will coach for free?
  • Top recruits say they will only come to UP is Porter is coaching?
  • Board of Trustees can't find a new fourth for their golf foursome?
  • Our parent school Notre Dame wins national championship and gives UP school leadership something to consider as a 2021 success?
  • Rick Petino decides to leave Iona and says he'll come to Portland as chief recruiting assistant?
  • Something else???

Seriously, is there a scenario out there for forgiveness between the parties or has TP already cleared his office and is only stopping by every two weeks to pick up his paycheck?

Stay well gang!

lomiton
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Bringing back Porter - 2021 Edition! Empty Re: Bringing back Porter - 2021 Edition!

Post by Guest Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:17 pm

• .500 or slightly better in conference and a weekend game in the WCC tournament?
  • a couple 3* recruits sign early?

Back to top Go down

Bringing back Porter - 2021 Edition! Empty Re: Bringing back Porter - 2021 Edition!

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:26 pm

D1 sports still exist.
Ncaa bid.
Beat the Zags twice.

The rest are silly. There ain’t going to be no leprechaun champ.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:21 pm

up7587 wrote:

• .500 or slightly better in conference and a weekend game in the WCC tournament?
  • a couple 3* recruits sign early?

I'm not sure a .500 record is going to do it.

The big question is always who are you going to get instead? If Porter goes .500, Leykam doesn't have a good replacement lined up, and Porter is willing to take a short term deal, then I guess I could see him staying.

I'm more concerned that we have yet another bad start to the season, Porter gets fired mid season and the team unravels even worse that it already has.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodless 2.0 Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:47 pm

I'll probably be submitting this to freezing cold takes next winter

Geezaldinho wrote:

There ain’t going to be no leprechaun champ.
Woodless 2.0
Woodless 2.0
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2015-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:23 pm

Porter doesn't need to beat Gonzaga or get an NCAA bid. A .500 record in WCC play would be plenty to earn him an extension. Reveno achieved that feat only three times in 10 years. If Porter does it next year that would be the Pilots' best finish in a decade. Leykam would absolutely give him at least one more year.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:31 pm

Heck, let's be realistic. Throw out the games against Gonzaga, BYU and SMC. If we finish above .500 against the other WCC opponents I'd say give Porter another year. (The last time that happened was 2014-15. UP went 7-5 against the non-Big-3 WCC teams.)

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by optimist Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:45 pm

IMHO, there is no scenario that they bring back tp. Zero chance. The uncertainty around the virus probably kept him at the helm this year, and of course the $'s he is owed. But he won't be back for 2021. He has shown that he can't get it done in the college ranks. I bet he won't even be around for conference play. Takers?

optimist
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2019-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:39 pm

optimist wrote:IMHO, there is no scenario that they bring back tp.  Zero chance.  The uncertainty around the virus probably kept him at the helm this year, and of course the $'s he is owed.  But he won't be back for 2021.  He has shown that he can't get it done in the college ranks.  I bet he won't even be around for conference play.  Takers?
Oh I completely agree that he won't be coming back. But I do think the bar he would have to clear to earn an extension is rather modest. Like a winning record against the 6 WCC opponents not from Spokane, Moraga and Provo. But I concur there is zero chance of that happening.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down