Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2020 Recruiting

+14
GoPilots19
SoCalPilot
Shadrach
Kevin
StudentPilot
Sound Voltex
optimist
OZBaller
NoPoNeighbor
SoCal_Pilot
Geezaldinho
Dean Murdoch
ExpatPilot
DoubleDipper
18 posters

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

2020 Recruiting - Page 6 Empty Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:18 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:But now DeAnthony has decided decommit from UP...
Tipler lands at Coastal Carolina...

I used to live just down the road from CC in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina...that's why we now live in the Portland area.  Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11238
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:58 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:But now DeAnthony has decided decommit from UP...
Tipler lands at Coastal Carolina...
Honestly, I too would have chosen CC over UP, just because of the background/record of the Chanticleers Head Coach, Cliff Ellis:  
Ellis has compiled a Division I record of 692-435 (.614) and 770-447 (.632) overall and ranks ninth in NCAA Division I wins among active coaches. He is also just one of four coaches in NCAA Division I history to make multiple NCAA Tournament appearances with four separate schools and has been named conference Coach of the Year six times in his career.

Over his 40-year coaching career, Ellis has guided his squads to 10 NCAA Tournaments and earned 13 National Invitation Tournament bids. Ellis’ teams have advanced to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament three times: once with Clemson in 1990 and twice with Auburn (1999 and 2003).
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:35 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:RayQuawndis Mitchell 6-5/200 SG from Blaine, MN.  Mitchell spent a year at Idaho before transferring to Otero Junior College in Colorado.  Two years left...
Take Mitchell off the board...he has narrowed his choices to his Top-5, and UP ain't one of them, but UOP is!
Well, at least UOP didn't land Mitchell...instead he's headed to Illinois-Chicago (UIC).

Two open scholarships at UP, and the team is in need of another point guard and a post, and there's less than 48 yours before the first of the signed NLIs begin arriving.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:06 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Jaylon had seven offers in March (and a couple earlier in the year) and cut down to a top five today with the Pilots still under consideration. Albany, Towson, Western Michigan, and Wright State are the others.
Jayon Holmes, the 6-6 JUCO point guard, has decided Western Michigan is where he'll play his two remaining years of college basketball.

The only player left on the board that we know about is another point guard, 5-10 JUCO freshman Javaunte Hawkins, but it's difficult to say whether he's interested in Portland, or at this point, if UP is still interested in him, especially as he is in the same year group as Chase.

There are still plenty of immediately available transfers and grad transfers out there, and it's my guess the staff will be looking for one to shore-up the interior for this coming season, and maybe another.

Seems like the Pilots are due for at least one surprise recruit/transfer!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:42 pm

Four grad transfers the Pilots have been linked to, none of which are small. And one of which will for sure we'll see at Chiles next year.

James Karnik (Lehigh / 6-9, 225)
Bash Townes (Bryant / 6-5, 255)
Destin Barnes (Jacksonville / 6-7, 215)
Christian Carlyle (Florida Gulf Coast / 6-6, 210) > signed with Santa Clara

If they're still searching for immediate help up front you'd think the staff will also be reaching out to Portland State grad transfer Austin Trice, who entered the portal a few hours ago.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:06 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:Four grad transfers the Pilots have been linked to, none of which are small. And one of which will for sure we'll see at Chiles next year.

James Karnik (Lehigh / 6-9, 225)
Bash Townes (Bryant / 6-5, 255)
Destin Barnes (Jacksonville / 6-7, 215)
Christian Carlyle (Florida Gulf Coast / 6-6, 210) > signed with Santa Clara

If they're still searching for immediate help up front you'd think the staff will also be reaching out to Portland State grad transfer Austin Trice, who entered the portal a few hours ago.
It's good to know the UP staff has been in contact with these players in the transfer portal, but apparently the only ones immediately available are Barnes and Townes, and Barnes is a considered a wing or shooting guard.

The Pilots need a "banger" who can use his body to block-out the opponents and grab rebounds, IMO, and "Bash" Townes at 6-5/255 would seem to fit that bill, but he also has a lot of suitors (Fresno State, Longwood, Sam Houston, Norfolk State, UMKC, UMES, Gardner-Webb & Cal State Fullerton among them) and it would seem power forwards/centers are a hot commodity right now.   

It's still my guess UP will grab an immediately available transfer or two, or even a JUCO player we have not previously heard of, as TP needs/wants results now, and I doubt he has any interest in signing someone merely to turn him over to the next coach for the 21-22 season. Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:02 pm

It's about time UP added another Canadian to the team!

According to his school, we can add Clythus Griffith, a 6-4 point guard out of Mississauga, Ontario, and currently enrolled at Southwest Tennessee Community College in Memphis after a year at Monroe College in the Bronx. (Yes Mississauga, the home of former Pilot, and everyone's favorite, Jasonn Hannibal).

Hmm, how come Dean Murdoch didn't tell us about this guy?  Razz

Griffith started all 26 games for the Saluqis (that's how they spell Salukis in Tennessee, apparently) this past season while averaging 21 ppg...hitting nearly 80% from the free-throw line and 38% from behind the arc.

One scholarship left...let's make it a transfer "banger" while they last.

2020 Recruiting - Page 6 510

Shooter!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:33 pm

A Pilot Nation exclusive! Thanks for the updates as always, DD.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:12 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:

Griffith started all 26 games for the Saluqis (that's how they spell Salukis in Tennessee, apparently)

That’s also how the folks who first bred them spell it. It’s Arabic for “from Saluq” of which there is one in Yemen and one in Armenia.

But it could be a reference to one of a half dozen towns in the Middle East named Saluquiyah ( Seleucid).
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:18 pm

Verbal Commits is reporting that Isiah Dasher, a 6-3 sophomore shooting guard at State College of Florida, a community college, has signed with the Pilots.  Dasher's is not a player I've heard of before, and as far as I can tell, no other D1 school made him an offer.  However, JUCO Basketball Top 100 Player Rankings, gives Dasher an "Honorable Mention."

Not the banger around the glass UP needs, IMO, but perhaps the staff has a plan of which we are not aware.  Evil or Very Mad

If the signing of Dasher is accurate, the Pilots are out of scholarships for the coming season...unless someone else transfers.

2020 Recruiting - Page 6 Isiah11
2020 Recruiting - Page 6 Screen35

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:08 pm

Interesting. I didn't think guard-guard would be the way the last two scholarships would end up, that's for sure.

His coach at Manatee tweeted here that he holds four D1 offers without specifying which schools. Dasher is also listed as an "honorable mention" top 100 on jucorecruiting.com along with Eddie Davis and the newest Coastal Carolina Chanticleer, DeAnthony Tipler.

To be honest I'm struggling to envision how this team looks next year. Seven newcomers, five returners, and one returner who might as well be a newcomer.

Is this maybe what it looks like? I really have no idea.

PG - Adams, Ferebee
SG - Walker, Griffith, Dasher, Triplett
SF - Jones, Fahrensohn
PF - Davis, Phillips, Seymour, Curtiss
C - Diabate
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:18 pm

Not much inside, maybe a full court press, run and gun approach?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:54 pm

Call me crazy, but I like this Dasher kid more than Tipler!

He isn't afraid to penetrate and draw contact. He's a great finisher for his size.

To shoot almost 50% overall with only 30% from 3 means he is extremely efficient inside the arc.

His 7 reb/gm in his Sr yr in high school and 5 rebound average his first two years in college indicate that the kid hustles.

Welcome to Portland ID!

Kevin
Kevin
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2020-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:11 pm

up7587 wrote:Not much inside, maybe a full court press, run and gun approach?
Oh, even though I'm disappointed UP hasn't (yet?) brought aboard a BIG transfer, I think Diabate and Davis could be a very good inside tandem, and Seymour has a great deal of upside if the staff can develop his game.

One thing for sure, when the new head coach comes in next year (?) he'll have plenty of opportunity to build his own team if everyone stays and no one redshirts...10 players will graduate in the next two years, 3 in 2021 and 7 in 2022.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:32 pm

Courtside Kev wrote:His 7 reb/gm in his Sr yr in high school...
And it's very cool that he scored over 1,000 points at Ferris High School in Jersey City, matching the 1,000 points his dad scored at the same high school 20 years earlier before moving on to D1 Fairleigh-Dickinson.

After high school the younger Dasher attended one year at a prep school before spending the last two years at SCF.

Welcome to PilotNation, CK...looking forward to your continued insight. Very Happy
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:37 pm

DoubleDipper wrote: . . . if everyone stays . . .

In this day and age, almost unheard of, coaching change or no.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:38 am

Thank you for the warm welcome DoubleDipper!

I've been a lurker in this forum ever since I found out about it earlier this season. I appreciate everybody's insights and willingness to talk about the team whether they're winning or losing.

For whatever reason, I have a lot of passion for Pilots basketball. Every now and then, something magical happens. I was fortunate enough to attend the Pepperdine game when Quincy Ferebee had that amazing run up from behind block on a guy going to the basket where his vertical leap was as quick and high as any I've seen from anybody that size, and I watch a lot of basketball. Even more shockingly, the referee didn't call a foul on the play. Usually when a guy gets a block from behind, the ref blows the whistle whether he touched him or not. Absolutely spectacular and moments that I live for!

Lastly, I always enjoyed the band director that wore the purple hair that would dance around when the music started playing. I was once sitting next to a professor who leaned over and said to me "see that guy over there with the purple hair?" I said yes? He said "you wouldn't believe how different he is in class." He claimed that the guy was an absolute introvert. He said that when he stepped on the court and the music started, he started dancing. He couldnt figure it out.

I sure know why though. He had PASSION and was feeling the love.

Sadly, one season I showed up and he was no longer there. I asked somebody about him and they said that he had passed away from an illness. I miss the heck out of that guy and oftentimes find myself looking over that way to reminisce. If anybody happens to know what his name was, I would love to hear it! I would love to etch it in my brain because he holds a very special place in my heart.

The team loses a heck of a lot more than they win, and for all I know, that may never change. One thing can be said for sure though.... It feels great to be there! For two hours or so, all of life's concerns, stresses and problems seem to disappear for a handful of people who come together to share their passion for Pilots basketball. I've done a lot of cool stuff in my life and it doesn't get much better than that!

Kevin
Kevin
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:29 am

Thanks for the reminder about why I attend games.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:17 am

Courtside Kev wrote:Lastly, I always enjoyed the band director that wore the purple hair that would dance around when the music started playing.

If anybody happens to know what his name was, I would love to hear it! I would love to etch it in my brain because he holds a very special place in my heart.
We were able to honor Dr. Phil Cansler at a game in February 2008 when, in a wheel chair and his head wrapped in bandages, he came out onto the court to thunderous applause and tears too as we said goodbye to him before he passed away from brain cancer four months later.

Yes, "Dr. C" was a part of the fabric of UP, and loved by all...

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/june042008/cansler_passes_6-4-08.php

2020 Recruiting - Page 6 Dr-can10

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadrach Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:18 am

Thanks for the memories of "Dr. C." Philip T. Cansler was a music professor and pep band leader extraordinaire during his tenure at UP. His signature purple hair and horse ride of his trumpet endeared him to hundreds of Pilot fans over the years. He was a unique character and well loved by students and all who knew him. He died of cancer about 10 years ago. RIP Dr. C.

Shadrach
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by SoCalPilot Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:53 am

So did all the commitments listed above sign LOIs? I’ve seen no announcement. Are they officially in the program or are we waiting to see who else decides on going elsewhere?

SoCalPilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2015-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:29 am

SoCalPilot wrote:So did all the commitments listed above sign LOIs?  I’ve seen no announcement. Are they officially in the program or are we waiting to see who else decides on going elsewhere?

Per Verbal Commits, Hayden Curtiss, Hunter Seymour, Latrell Jones, Eddie Davis, Clythus Griffith, Isiah Dasher all are signed with UP.

I am definitely going to need a program next year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:30 am

SoCalPilot wrote:So did all the commitments listed above sign LOIs?  I’ve seen no announcement. Are they officially in the program or are we waiting to see who else decides on going elsewhere?

The letter of intent rules are that you can only sign one letter of intent at a time and it is good for a full academic  year. Don’t expect any signing proclamations until the old letters are void.
Verbal commits are verbal. They aren’t letters of intent.
2020 Recruiting - Page 6 1569cf10
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:07 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
We were able to honor Dr. Phil Cansler at a game in February 2008 when, in a wheel chair and his head wrapped in bandages, he came out onto the court to thunderous applause and tears too as we said goodbye to him before he passed away from brain cancer four months later.

Yes, "Dr. C" was a part of the fabric of UP, and loved by all...

THANK YOU for taking the time to share this with me. I can't believe he's been gone for 12 years. I feel like I just watched him dancing in his "spot" just a few short years ago.

Now I know why I missed this. My second Son was born January 31st, 2008. I missed that whole month of games. Ironically, my kid LOVES going to Pilot games and shares the same passion for purple that Dr. C had.

I will be having that picture blown up, framed and put on my office wall as it brings me an immense amount of joy.

I think I might have an extra one made and then some game day sneak it on a wall near where Dr. C used to do his thing. Smile

Thanks again Double Dipper!

With a tear of passion in my eye, I wish you a great day!
Kevin
Kevin
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:56 am

Hmm, seems to be a three-part question, one of which requires a speculative answer.

1. Have all the commitments listed sign LOI's?  Yes, all, including the JUCO players, have signed an NLI.

An NLI is not signed when enrolling at a JUCO, therefore this will be a first-time signing for both high school recruits (Curtiss and Triplett) and the five JUCO players.

2. I've seen no announcement. Are they officially in the program...? Yes, I'm sure there will be an announcement from the athletic department just as soon as all the signed documents are received, reviewed and processed.  UP has generally stuck to this format in the past...introduce everyone at once, not individually.

3. ...are we waiting to see who else decides on going elsewhere? Yes, it's likely the staff is continuing to recruit. There is little prospect the team will get together and  bond anytime soon and there's a good possibility that some current players will drift away as they realize they are enjoying being home or they are being influenced by others to change schools while they are at home.

TP has said on more than one occasion that he'd like to sign JUCOs and transfers for the coming season...I'm still waiting for a transfer BIG! tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next