Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2020 Recruiting

+14
GoPilots19
SoCalPilot
Shadrach
Kevin
StudentPilot
Sound Voltex
optimist
OZBaller
NoPoNeighbor
SoCal_Pilot
Geezaldinho
Dean Murdoch
ExpatPilot
DoubleDipper
18 posters

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Go down

2020 Recruiting - Page 12 Empty Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:15 pm

Based purely upon the numbers, I don't think there is much doubt the waiver system is a wreck that can't be fixed.  
After this coming season the NCAA is apparently going to adopt the one-time transfer/free-agency rule anyway, so why not do it now?

There is also a lot of talk right now about granting all the winter sport athletes another year of eligibility to align with the fall sports athletes in that respect.

I'm personally not in favor of allowing another year of eligibility unless the season is cut by more than half.  Having all the student-athletes hang around another year is going to have a big effect on the the high school seniors and JUCO athletes who may not have a place to go if smaller schools like UP cannot absorb the cost of both returning and new student-athletes, regardless of how many scholarships the NCAA allows.

Apparently the NCAA D1 Oversight Committee will vote on granting winter sport athletes an extra year sometime next week.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11238
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by optimist Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:02 pm

I couldn't agree more that the waiver system is a complete mess/joke. that said, I hear Eddie Davis is a stud! evidently he's only been able to play the last few weeks during workouts but they have been a great few weeks! let's get this season underway. what have you guys heard?

optimist
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2019-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:25 pm

optimist wrote:I hear Eddie Davis is a stud! evidently he's only been able to play the last few weeks during workouts but they have been a great few weeks! let's get this season underway. what have you guys heard?
I'm hearing Zac Triplett is a SHOOTER!!  

I'm told a couple of ABL teams tried to convince him to stay in Australia and play professionally.

I know, I know, that's what Aussie Baller has been telling us, but in this crazy year he could actually break into the starting lineup based upon his offensive capabilities...although I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude.  Smile
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:30 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I'm hearing Zac Triplett is a SHOOTER!!

And he'll have five full years to break UP's three-point record which I assume is held by Jared Stohl!

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/30116895/ncaa-grants-extra-year-eligibility-all-winter-sport-athletes
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:31 pm

2020 Recruiting - Page 12 Screen46
In other words, all basketball players on a current D1 roster are eligible for an extra "free" year of eligibility.

When a student-athletes gets to the point they have used their four years of eligibility, they can be invited back for the "free" extra year by their school without counting against that school's scholarship limit.

For the Pilots it could mean that Diabate and Ali could come back on scholarship after their senior years and freshmen Zac Triplett and Hayden Curtis could play for 5 years at UP.  (I guess it could also mean Mikey Henn could come back for a 5th year of basketball during his 7 years attending college  Shocked ).

Of course the problem for small schools like UP is money.  Some schools may opt to bring back several players who used up their normal eligibility the previous season, as these players don't count against the scholarship limit (13 for men and 15 for women), but small school athletic departments may not be able to afford to do it.  The final decision to bring back a student-athlete for an extra year is up to the school.

(It is unclear to me if a player can transfer to another school for his or her 5th year and still not have their scholarship count against the new school's scholarship limit, but I suspect that is an option).
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:07 am

DoubleDipper wrote:(It is unclear to me if a player can transfer to another school for his or her 5th year and still not have their scholarship count against the new school's scholarship limit, but I suspect that is an option).
I'm told that a player who transfers this coming spring after his or her fourth year of eligibility will get their extra/fifth year of eligibility, but the transferring player WILL COUNT against the new school's scholarship limit.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:00 pm

Next year's transfer season is going to be wild.

I suppose this means there won't even need to be a discussion about redshirting anyone this year. Nothing to gain by saving them a year, so get everyone some garbage time if the situation arises.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:09 am

It is unknown to me whether Ahmed will return to play at Portland, (he is apparently taking online classes from Toronto now) or if he'll find a professional team that suits him...but for now,

‘He’s living out every Somali kid’s dream’

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2021/03/15/hes-living-out-every-somali-kids-dream-how-torontos-ahmed-ali-overcame-all-odds-to-become-an-ncaa-basketball-player.html
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:49 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
@Compton_Magic wrote:Paris Dawson @Cen10Hoops has picked up another offer from Portland @parisdawson19 ✔
Aussie Prospects wrote:OFFERED - 6’6 Point Guard, Daniel Foster has received an offer from NCAA D1 University of Portland. Big congratulations @danielfoster___ after showing out at the GASO tournament in Dallas
Not sure if UP is still recruiting point guards, but two that UP previously offered scholarships to have committed elsewhere.

Paris Dawson, who once said it was "important to play for a coach who had been a point guard," has committed to Portland State...not sure what position Coach Peery played at Snow College and Southern Utah in the '90s.

@jakelieberman2 wrote:Freshman guard Parison Dawson (@parisiodawson) from Portland State has entered the transfer portal, he's told me.

Dawson averaged 5.4 points per game.

Out of HS, he held offers from Southern Utah, Portland, Sacramento State, Seattle U, and Portland State.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:25 am

@GoodmanHoops wrote:Mikey Henn has committed to Penn State. It’ll be the 5th Division 1 team he plays for.

2016-17: UC Davis: 4.1 ppg
2017-18: Cal Baptist (sat out)
2018-19: Cal Baptist: 6.4 ppg
2019-20: Cal Baptist (DNP-INJ)
2020-21: Portland: 7.8 ppg
2021-22: Denver: 8.8 ppg
2022-23: Penn State:

Found via@willmaup, who congratulates UP on being part of this insanity.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2021-06-10

DoubleDipper and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:37 am

@RoccoMiller8 wrote:We Are. Henn State.

Rocco Miller is a great follow on Twitter if you're on there.

Last edited by Dean Murdoch on Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:40 am

Good for Mikey!

Talk about perseverance to finally make it to a major and a very good school.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Dean Murdoch and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:56 am

Lots of comments on Goodman's post decrying Henn's travels through the D1 world. One commentor simply states "24-year-olds should not be playing college ball." DD should introduce that guy to his friends at BYU.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12