Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Recruiting

+25
lomiton
aleppiek
cjacks14
piloted
Sound Voltex
bobtcat2
blacksheep
Rob's Jacket
StudentPilot
dholcombe
Stonehouse
The Wingman
pilotdad1
pilotram
wrv
Shadrach
Rochin54
terpcard
ExpatPilot
mattywizz
Dean Murdoch
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
29 posters

Page 28 of 32 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

Go down

2017 Recruiting - Page 28 Empty Re: 2017 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 17, 2017 8:43 am

All Eight!

http://portlandpilots.com/news/2017/5/16/mens-basketball-pilots-add-talented-guard-marcus-shaver-jr-to-decorated-recruiting-class.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed May 17, 2017 9:07 am

2017 Recruiting - Page 28 Tp3010
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Wed May 17, 2017 9:09 am

Will this be complete in time to make Portside tonight?

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 17, 2017 9:21 am

wrv wrote:....In addition, we should consider that Shaver signed a financial aid agreement during the period he could have signed a National Letter of Intent. .
Stonehouse's interpretation of the financial aid rules is correct, but as all of us were feeling a little uncomfortable about this financial aid vs. NLI thing, I did a little checking.

It turns out Marcus Shaver has signed scholarship papers, is enrolled at UP for Summer Session 2, and could NOT sign a NLI because he had already done so at UCSB last fall.  Apparently if an athlete signs a NLI once, he/she cannot do it again....so the financial aid agreement, in this case at least, is the alternative that says, "I'm committed!" Cool

(Still waiting for the BSU fan forum to ask, "Portland freaking State??") Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed May 17, 2017 9:32 am

DoubleDipper wrote:It turns out Marcus Shaver has signed scholarship papers, is enrolled at UP for Summer Session 2, and could NOT sign a NLI because he had already done so at UCSB last fall.  Apparently if an athlete signs a NLI once, he/she cannot do it again....so the financial aid agreement, in this case at least, is the alternative that says, "I'm committed!" Cool

Aha! Good detective work, DD. I feel a bit guilty that my wonking out on financial aid agreements might have made people a bit nervous yesterday. (In general, I think the NLI system is punitive to student-athletes and I have always been interested in the alternative route.) I have zero doubt that this is anything other than a 100% solid commitment!

Super, super excited to have Marcus on The Bluf!!!!!!!!!!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed May 17, 2017 9:36 am

As promised...

2017 Recruiting - Page 28 Newcha11
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed May 17, 2017 9:49 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
wrv wrote:....In addition, we should consider that Shaver signed a financial aid agreement during the period he could have signed a National Letter of Intent. .
Stonehouse's interpretation of the financial aid rules is correct, but as all of us were feeling a little uncomfortable about this financial aid vs. NLI thing, I did a little checking.

It turns out Marcus Shaver has signed scholarship papers, is enrolled at UP for Summer Session 2, and could NOT sign a NLI because he had already done so at UCSB last fall.  Apparently if an athlete signs a NLI once, he/she cannot do it again....so the financial aid agreement, in this case at least, is the alternative that says, "I'm committed!" Cool

Thanks for the explanation. Love the coin "In Porter we trust."

PilotNut speculated some time ago whether Shaver might be lured by the basketball experience of Coach Porter: I suspect there may be some truth to PiloNut's speculation. That is not to suggest that Porter's character did not aid Shaver's recruiting, but potentially playing for someone with that NBA experience had to help.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed May 17, 2017 9:51 am

The O is back on it.  

Oregonian Article Link

Arizona prep star Marcus Shaver is eighth player to sign with Portland Pilots' mens basketball since November

By Nick Daschel ndaschel@oregonian.com

The Oregonian/OregonLive

A breathtaking recruiting season looks to have come to an end for the Portland Pilots, as the men's basketball team signed Phoenix guard Marcus Shaver to a financial aid agreement.

Shaver, a 6-3 all-state guard who led Shadow Mountain (Ariz.) to its third state championship in four years this past winter, is the eighth player the Pilots have signed since November.

Shaver previously signed with UC Santa Barbara, but asked for a release from the school when coach Bob Williams was fired.

Shaver averaged 22.4 points, 2.5 assists and 2.7 steals this season for Shadow Mountain. He is the second player to turn from UC Santa Barbara to the Pilots, as Hawaii prep post Hugh Hogland, a Gauchos verbal commit, signed with Portland in April.

Portland's roster remake includes four players it signed in November, and four this spring.

Since the April signing period started, the Pilots added Pitt transfer Crisshawn Clark, JC shooting guard Josh McSwiggan, Hogland and Shaver.

In November, Portland's signings include: Tahirou Diabate, a 6-10 forward from Japan; Austin Stone, a 6-9 junior college transfer post; JoJo Walker, a 6-1 point guard from Southern California; and Taki Fahrensohn, a 6-5 combo guard from New Zealand.

A UP source says Shaver is likely the last player the Pilots will add to their current roster.

The only players remaining from last year's team are guards D'Marques Tyson and Rashad Jackson, forward Joseph Smoyer and post Philipp Hartwich. Coach Terry Porter's sons, freshman Malcolm Porter and sophomore transfer Franklin Porter, are also back, but did not play last season.

Portland heads into its second year under Porter, the former Portland Trail Blazer guard whose Pilots record this past season was 11-22. Several Pilots asked for transfers, including starters Jazz Johnson and Gabe Taylor. Johnson accepted an offer at Nevada, and Taylor at Cal Baptist.

--Nick Daschel

Last edited by PilotNut on Wed May 17, 2017 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added article text)

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed May 17, 2017 10:17 am

Here is the University release.  "The best recruiting class in program history" sure has a nice ring to it...

UP Link

Pilots Add Talented Guard Marcus Shaver Jr. to Decorated Recruiting Class

PORTLAND, Ore. – Head coach Terry Porter and the University of Portland basketball program locked up the best recruiting class in program history with the signing of combo guard Marcus Shaver Jr. (Phoenix, Ariz./Shadow Mountain HS) to a Financial Aid Agreement, the school announced on Wednesday. The signing completes an eight-player 2017 class that was previously ranked No. 12 nationally by Hoop Scoop and is expected to go up with the announcement of Shaver, one of the top unsigned guards on the West Coast.

Shaver (6-2, 180) guided the Matadors to a perfect 27-0 record and Arizona 4A State Championship this season. He earned All-Arizona Basketball First Team honors after averaging 22.4 points, 2.5 assists and 2.7 steals per game.

Shadow Mountain, coached by for NBA standout Mike Bibby, earned an invite to the prestigious 2017 Dick's Sporting Goods High School National Tournament which featured eight of the top high programs in the nation. Shaver finished with 19 points, three rebounds, four assists and four steals in an opening round loss to Montverde Academy.

Shaver originally signed a National Letter of Intent in November with UC Santa Barbara, but was granted a release from his NLI after a coaching change. He became one of the most highly sought-after guards available in the late signing period.

"Marcus is a great guard with such a quality skill set," Porter said. "He can guard at the defensive end and is also very skilled offensively. We appreciate Marcus and his family valuing the University of Portland education and the commitment to be part of building a winning program. He will be a great fit in the Portland community, both academically and as a student-athlete."

Shaver joins a heralded and diverse Portland recruiting class that now features five incoming freshmen, two junior college transfers and an ACC transfer. Portland signed four players early in a group that was rated the No. 17 class in the nation and the top mid-major recruiting class after the November signing period by the Hoop Scoop. Updated rankings last week listed the Pilots as No. 12 nationally and once again No. 1 among all mid-majors.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Wed May 17, 2017 11:50 am

PilotNut wrote: "The best recruiting class in program history" sure has a nice ring to it...

It does, but I'm still trying to temper my expectations. Does the fact that we 8 recruits change the way rankings are done? We are still going to be a young team next year, plus a couple of our guys are coming off injuries. We really won't know how good this class is for at least a couple years.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Wed May 17, 2017 12:00 pm

https://arizonapreps.com/marcus-shaver-picks-portland/

After re-opening his college recruitment this spring and then seeing his college recruitment soar, Shadow Mountain High School's highly skilled and high powered 6-foot-2 senior point guard Marcus Shaver has made his college decision - picking the University of Portland and former NBA head coach and legendary player Terry Porter and his staff for his college career.

Shaver is an amazing get for the Portland staff, that already has a top-rated class of prospects coming in next season. Shaver emerged this spring as the top overall unsigned 2017 prospect in the West, after his stellar performance in Las Vegas. While playing in the West Coast Elite Unsigned Senior/JUCO Showcase event in Vegas during the second NCAA evaluation period, Shaver electrified the coaches, scouts and media in attendance with his superior overall play - turning in an amazing peformance that put everyone in attendance in amazement.

Shaver showcased his stellar physical frame, which he has developed through many hours of hard work with his personal trainer Sidd Sharma from Explosive Athlete Institute (EAI). Shaver worked with Sidd for 4 years - throughout his high school career.

Shaver also showed off his superb ability to score and pass the basketball with excellent efficiency from anywhere on the floor. Shaver scored almost at will against older competition and proved that he is almost unguardable one-on-one.

Shaver chose Portland over offers from Boise State, Seattle, UC-Santa Barbara, Fordham, Portland State, Eastern Michigan and Hawaii. LSU, Seton Hall and New Mexico were also each expressing serious interest in Shaver, with many more schools in hot pursuit.

Shaver originally signed this fall with UC-Santa Barbara, but when the current staff's contract was not extended, Shaver decided to re-open his college recruitment. UC-Santa Barbara long-time head coach Bob Williams was released from his contract with the UCSB program at the end of this season.

In recent years, there have been numerous top-rated prospects that have signed college basketball scholarships. This young man is one of those prospects that I really believe will make an immediate impact at the collegiate level, and, with continued hard work, will have an opportunity to play even further. Shaver's commitment to his craft and level of excellence on the floor are glaring, and I have become a true fan of this young man's ability to play the game, and also how he carries himself off the basketball court. There are no limits for Marcus Shaver.

Arizona Hoop Review Scouting Report: Shaver is a big-time athletic talent at the guard position, and is capable of playing both guard positions, as a result, of his ability to score the basketball at a very high rate. He plays above the rim in the open floor and is a superb athletic talent that has excellent work ethic on and off the basketball court. A big-time scorer with the basketball in his hands, Shaver is able to make plays for himself and others almost at will. A very good shooter of the basketball with excellent range on his shot, Shaver is difficult to defend one-on-one, as a result of his ability to score off the dribble and make plays in the paint, where he is an excellent finisher. A very good rebounder for his size. He pushjes the basketball on the break at a high rate and applies serious pressure on opposing defenses. An excellent on-the-ball defender that also plays passing lanes. A potential lock-down defender at the next level. An excellent ball handler and passer that sees the floor. An excellent sleeper prospect that should become an immediate contributor - regardless of the level he lands at. Has gotten it done nationally against the countries top competition.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed May 17, 2017 12:05 pm

blacksheep wrote: It does, but I'm still trying to temper my expectations.  Does the fact that we 8 recruits change the way rankings are done?  We are still going to be a young team next year, plus a couple of our guys are coming off injuries.  We really won't know how good this class is for at least a couple years.  

I agree with you... this team will be young and need time to gel. The good news is that Porter and the coaching staff are signing players that--on paper--should help us move up the WCC ladder. I think there is reason to be optimistic here... but I need to see some wins before I mortgage the house to buy NCAA tourney tickets.

It will be interesting to see what the recruiting looks like when the staff only has to focus on 2-3 spots to fill...

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Wed May 17, 2017 12:08 pm

PilotNut wrote:
blacksheep wrote: It does, but I'm still trying to temper my expectations.  Does the fact that we 8 recruits change the way rankings are done?  We are still going to be a young team next year, plus a couple of our guys are coming off injuries.  We really won't know how good this class is for at least a couple years.  

I agree with you... this team will be young and need time to gel.  The good news is that Porter and the coaching staff are signing players that--on paper--should help us move up the WCC ladder.  I think there is reason to be optimistic here... but I need to see some wins before I mortgage the house to buy NCAA tourney tickets.  

It will be interesting to see what the recruiting looks like when the staff only has to focus on 2-3 spots to fill...

Agreed, momentum will be key. We need to win some games so that he can convince some kids that he's building something real here.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Wed May 17, 2017 12:32 pm

I'm curious what the belief is that we would put out a starting lineup that does not include a single returning player? I know this class is good ("scarey" good (old joke)). But, will they come in and all be better than the upperclassmen we are returning?

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Wed May 17, 2017 1:17 pm

2017 Recruiting - Page 28 Owl10

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed May 17, 2017 1:34 pm

Hooray! Go Pilots!

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Wed May 17, 2017 10:19 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:

http://www.scout.com/college/boise-state/forums/2248-taco-bell-arena-talk/16142818-marcus-shaver-to-portland
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 17, 2017 10:32 pm

Bronco County wrote:......but to lose him to Portland. Discouraging    
Wow, not confused with "Portland freaking State." Razz

UP plays at BSU this coming season....I plan to be there!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Wed May 17, 2017 11:00 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:Will this be complete in time to make Portside tonight?

Looks like they squeezed it in!

Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed May 17, 2017 11:23 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:
SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:Will this be complete in time to make Portside tonight?

Looks like they squeezed it in!

The televised version did not have the Shaver information... I am sure there was not time to get the updated version in. This is a great video... I really enjoy listening to this coaching staff!

Is it November yet?!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu May 18, 2017 1:02 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
Bronco County wrote:......but to lose him to Portland. Discouraging    
Wow, not confused with  "Portland freaking State." Razz

Apparently Boise State knows how to evaluate talent as well.

After losing out to the Pilots for Shaver, they offered Ty Cockfield!

Ty Cockfield Retweeted
Verbal Commits‏ @VerbalCommits  4h4 hours ago
2017 Georgia Highlands College (GA) G Ty Cockfield received an offer from Boise State. (HT @AlexGold) @TyCockfield1 http://verbalcommits.com/players/ty-cockfield …

I wish them well, but I understand he has a large number of offers. . .

Go Pilots.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu May 18, 2017 2:21 am

Sound Voltex wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:

http://www.scout.com/college/boise-state/forums/2248-taco-bell-arena-talk/16142818-marcus-shaver-to-portland

Lets add the NMSU fan forum also?

http://www.scout.com/college/new-mexico-state/forums/2377-sports-trough/15670432-marcus-shaver

My favorite:

Clearly he's not going to Portland for the basketball. 11-22 last year. He knows he's not going to be playing for the Trailblazers right?
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 18, 2017 4:29 am

Sound Voltex wrote:
Sound Voltex wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:

http://www.scout.com/college/new-mexico-state/forums/2377-sports-trough/15670432-marcus-shaver

My favorite:

Clearly he's not going to Portland for the basketball. 11-22 last year. He knows he's not going to be playing for the Trailblazers right?
Well, he certainly won't be playing with last year's team.

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Thu May 18, 2017 6:16 am

up7587 wrote:
Sound Voltex wrote:
Sound Voltex wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:

My favorite:

Well, he certainly won't be playing with last year's team.

I think I enjoyed the two posters bickering about each other basketball knowledge the most. I'm glad we all get along.

Last edited by SouthCarolinaPilot on Thu May 18, 2017 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Thu May 18, 2017 6:29 am

After having watched the Portside feature, I have to say that we need to celebrate not just Porter, but also Cantu, Johnson, and Knutson. They were likely the ones in the trenches with this recruiting class.

I especially loved Cantu's remarks: "we only wanted guys who could be all-conference or start at Gonzaga." Then, he follows that up with the: "come play for and NBA player/coach with his jersey retired, for this staff with so much experience, in a conference that had a team in the title game, in the Phil Knight tournament in front of 100 NBA scouts." Goodness, I'm alreay a fan, but he re-sold me on the Pilots. We need to hold on to him as long as we can.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 32 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next