2017 Recruiting

Page 31 of 31 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 29, 30, 31

Go down

Re: 2017 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:33 pm

It's difficult to speculate on Austin Stone's future (or even his present) with the Pilots, but this article from the Rock Hill, SC Herald tells us a little about Austin's past.  

www.heraldonline.com/sports/high-school/article197812504.html

(Hard to say why so many are unable to determine what conference UP plays in.)
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 7387
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:58 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:It's difficult to speculate on Austin Stone's future (or even his present) with the Pilots, but this article from the Rock Hill, SC Herald tells us a little about Austin's past.  

www.heraldonline.com/sports/high-school/article197812504.html

(Hard to say why so many are unable to determine what conference UP plays in.)

Thanks for pulling up that article DD. I have noticed Austin is" fundamentally sound" like the article mentions,probably the best of our bigs in that area. He just doesn't have the length/height or skill set of the others. I for one hope he can contribute to this team,and  I wish him well.

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1140
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:37 am

Given that we have almost a full season under our belts with what Hoop Scoop online labeled the #10 recruiting class, is Hoop Scoop's rating of the class at all supportable? Has the Pilot class shown enough promise that you could argue without being disingenuous that perhaps Hoop Scoop was right?

Revolutions have taken place throughout the world where the ultimate result is the country is worse off, sometimes far worse, despite promises of change for the better. Here, Porter's approach to the program was akin in that he did bring not back some important parts of the team--Jazz and Taylor.  Not sure whether that was intentional but it appeared so. Despite the allure of starting the program over, anyone think that starting things anew, throwing the baby out with the bath water, was not wise?

I am not advocating for Porter's release at all--I am mildly optimistic for the program, but wonder if our competitiveness has improved with all the change? Let's hope we at least retain the roster that we brought in.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-05-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:09 pm

After the [Pepperdine] game, I asked Diabate about his impressions of his first season of NCAA basketball and found that getting used to the differences between Japanese basketball was the most difficult. From November until today, he participated in 29 games (of which he started in 21) playing a little under 20 minutes on average. It is great that he gained so much experience in his first year.

https://twitter.com/yokomiyaji/status/967634350501015552

I also talked with Hugh Hogland (Hiyuu Watanabe). It was unfortunate that he wasn't able to represent the Japanese national team this past weekend (it seems the university did not give the OK). If he gets selected from the camp held in June/July, he will participate in the representative battle.

(The Japanese national team played Chinese Taipei this past Thursday as part of FIBA 2019 qualifiers and lost a heartbreaker 70-69)

https://twitter.com/yokomiyaji/status/967635242071728129
Sound Voltex
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 265
Registration date : 2017-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:38 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:With the help of StudentPilot's cell phone camera and Dean Murdoch's extensive knowledge of Canada hoops, we now know the "near Vancouver" man who's name starts with "F" with Kramer-like hair who is currently visiting UP....it's Fardaws Aimaq, a 6-10/245 power forward from Richmond, Canada.

Probably a man who could use a redshirt year to develop, but certainly "under the radar" with only one known offer: USF, but with interest from Yale, which could indicate very good academic credentials.
An inch, taller and after almost a year at prep school, Aimaq has committed to Mercer University in Macon.

After visiting UP with Marcus Shaver a year ago, UP did NOT offer him a scholarship, but at one time he apparently had offers from USF, Pepperdine's previous staff,  and Yale.
StudentPilot
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2016-10-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:27 am

wrv wrote:On a more earthly note: Gabe Taylor reported to be transferring to California Baptist where he will join Jason Todd to finish his career. He has decided to leave the institution afterall.

Good luck Gabe.

Taylor and Todd finished their careers in Division II, but Cal Baptist is moving up to D-1.  They'll play in the WAC with Seattle U. and Grand Canyon U.  https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/4/6/17194098/cal-baptist-lancers-division-one-wac-2018-rick-croy

Perhaps a future WCC member when GU moves to the PAC-12.
up7587
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 4145
Registration date : 2007-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:04 pm

If I read the announcement last year that Cal Baptist and North Alabama were going D1, I certainly don't remember it.

One additional West Coast D1 team can't hurt for scheduling options. If I'm reading it correctly, the two transitioning teams will be RPI counters next year if they follow D1 scheduling rules (no more than four games against non-D1 teams). They'll be RPI counters for sure in 2019-20, when they HAVE to follow D1 rules.

Maybe Cal Baptist can replace Incarnate Word on Gonzaga's non-conference schedule next year...
Dean Murdoch
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2015-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:00 pm

Deano wrote:Maybe Cal Baptist can replace Incarnate Word on Gonzaga's non-conference schedule next year.

Imagine the possible headlines if World B. Free had played for Incarnate World...
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10654
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 31 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 29, 30, 31

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum