Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Recruiting

+25
lomiton
aleppiek
cjacks14
piloted
Sound Voltex
bobtcat2
blacksheep
Rob's Jacket
StudentPilot
dholcombe
Stonehouse
The Wingman
pilotdad1
pilotram
wrv
Shadrach
Rochin54
terpcard
ExpatPilot
mattywizz
Dean Murdoch
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
29 posters

Page 32 of 32 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32

Go down

2017 Recruiting - Page 32 Empty Re: 2017 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:54 pm

StudentPilot wrote:Remember this guy, Fardaws Aimag?

Believing they could find a better post player, UP did not offer him a scholarship, so Aimaq signed with Mercer and subsequently transferred to Utah Valley.

Fardaws Aimaq currently leads the nation in rebounding, averaging over 15 rebounds per game!
Rolling Eyes  Good thing Porter and his staff declined Aimaq, because today he declared for the NBA Draft, but said he'll maintain his college eligibility throughout the process just in case he decides to return to Utah Valley where he averaged 15 rebounds and 14 points while shooting 62% this past season.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11237
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:02 pm

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2022-02-14/san-diego-state-sdsu-aztecs-basketball-tahirou-diabate-portland-transfer-mali
https://archive.md/lld12

The basketball court was in a nearby community park, but it was away from the children’s playground and you could have some privacy, even if the rim was an inch or two too high. If that was occupied, there was a court behind a dorm complex at the University of Portland that was usually empty.

This is where begoggled San Diego State transfer center Tahirou Diabate played basketball last season, working out by himself, outdoors, in the wind, in the cold. A lot of times, it rained. A few days, it snowed.

“The rim was little bit higher, but it is what it is,” Diabate says. “It’s a hoop, so you can’t complain.”

So if he was a little rusty this season, well, that’s what happens in the rain.

Diabate opted out of his senior year at Portland for COVID-19 reasons after the Pilots were one of the last Division I teams cleared for full practice and played only 18 Division I games. He could stay in school to complete his degree in communications, but NCAA rules precluded him from participating in any team activities or using any team workout facilities.

In the spring, after coach Terry Porter was fired, he transferred to SDSU.

“It wasn’t an easy transition for me, coming from the team I came from and also sitting out one year without playing basketball,” Diabate says. “For me, I had to relearn everything in a way — how to play the game, how to approach the game, how to be compatible with my new teammates. It’s not easy, but I’m thankful I’m able to at least make a dent in it.”

Portland had a single, simple way of defending ball screens. SDSU has a half-dozen that involve sophisticated, nuanced reads and regularly change based on the scouting report, sometimes even during games. He also was asked to switch ball screens and stay in front of speedy point guards at 6-foot-9, 225 pounds.

“Definitely a challenge for me,” says Diabate, who missed two games with COVID-19 and another to tend to a family matter, “because when I first came here, I didn’t know anything about any of this stuff.”
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:35 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:Portland had a single, simple way of defending ball screens. SDSU has a half-dozen that involve sophisticated, nuanced reads and regularly change based on the scouting report, sometimes even during games.

2017 Recruiting - Page 32 53fa4110
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Rob's Jacket, mikemac65 and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:02 pm

Marcus Shaver Jr., who highlighted the famous Hoop Scoop recruiting report and played for the Pilots for two years, has been named to the Mountain West 2nd Team All-Conference for Boise State. Congrats to a strong finish to his career.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:10 pm

up7587 wrote:Marcus Shaver Jr., who highlighted the famous Hoop Scoop recruiting report and played for the Pilots for two years, has been named to the Mountain West 2nd Team All-Conference for Boise State.  Congrats to a strong finish to his career.

And now Boise State wins its first conference championship and a trip to the big dance.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:49 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:And now Boise State wins its first conference championship and a trip to the big dance.
Of course the team Boise St. beat by 1 point, San Diego St., also has a member of the infamous Class of 2017, Tahirou Diabate ("D").

D did not get much playing time in his final year, less than 6 minutes per game while averaging around 2ppg.

Shaver is deserving of a chance at the Dance, he put in a lot of work and sat a year under the old transfer rules, but Diabate may also get a Dance chance, as the Aztecs could/should get an at-large bid...they are a much better team than BYU.

Funny thing about the Class of 2017...none of the players lasted the full four years at UP... Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:14 am

Sound Voltex wrote:And now Boise State wins its first conference championship and a trip to the big dance.
Seems like BSU has been to the NCAA Tournament quite a few times but has had bad luck in the Mountain West Tournament in the past.

They must have won the WAC Tournament sometime this century, but I think they've been in the MWC for at least 11 or 12 years and apparently have never won their tournament until this season.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:22 am

DoubleDipper wrote:They must have won the WAC Tournament sometime this century, but I think they've been in the MWC for at least 11 or 12 years and apparently have never won their tournament until this season.

Once actually, 2008.

Seems like they won more when they were in the conference before that, the Big Sky (1976, 1988, 1993, 1994)

On the topic of conference tournaments, I noticed Theo Akwuba's new team, Louisiana, made a run as the 8th seed to the Sun Belt championship game before falling to Georgia State.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Fox Mulder Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:45 am

Isaiah Dasher made the tournament with St. Peters as they won their conference tournament yesterday too.
Fox Mulder
Fox Mulder
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2021-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:31 pm

Fox Mulder wrote:Isaiah Dasher made the tournament with St. Peters as they won their conference tournament yesterday too.
Good job, Isaiah!

Back in his hometown, Jersey City, and playing for the hometown team, St. Peter's, Isaish had a solid year.  Not a star, for sure, but very dependable off the bench.

Yesterday he played 19 minutes, scored 5 points, and had a couple of steals...about average for him for the season.  

Good to see these UP guys getting a chance on the big stage.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Fox Mulder and up7587 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:50 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
Of course the team Boise St. beat by 1 point, San Diego St., also has a member of the infamous Class of 2017, Tahirou Diabate ("D").

D did not get much playing time in his final year, less than 6 minutes per game while averaging around 2ppg.

Shaver is deserving of a chance at the Dance, he put in a lot of work and sat a year under the old transfer rules, but Diabate may also get a Dance chance, as the Aztecs could/should get an at-large bid...they are a much better team than BYU.

Funny thing about the Class of 2017...none of the players lasted the full four years at UP... Evil or Very Mad

So is "D" any relation to Moussa Diabate at Michigan?

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:24 pm

up7587 wrote:So is "D" any relation to Moussa Diabate at Michigan?
Considering their French and Malian heritage, I think there has to be something that can tie them in the distant past besides the fact they both wear jersey #14.  Very Happy
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Fri May 20, 2022 11:02 am

up7587 wrote:Marcus Shaver Jr., who highlighted the famous Hoop Scoop recruiting report and played for the Pilots for two years, has been named to the Mountain West 2nd Team All-Conference for Boise State.  Congrats to a strong finish to his career.

Marcus announced on Twitter that he is returning for another season, his sixth year in college. Has played 124 games already over four seasons at UP and BSU, plus sat out his first year at BSU. He should have a pile of degrees by the time he actually finishes.

@marchusshaverjr wrote:10 is back

@mid_madness wrote:Boise State is getting back “Mr.Clutch” Marcus Shaver!

He seemed to hit every big shot in Mountain West play, leading the Broncos to a regular season title.

13.3 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game in 2021-22.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 32 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32