Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun

+14
DaTruRochin
goldhelmet
PurplePrideTrumpet
bdaddy
blacksheep
dholcombe
oldtimer
DoubleDipper
onetouchfutbol
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
wrv
DTLegend
NoPoNeighbor
18 posters

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun - Page 4 Empty Re: 2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:14 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:Spain as in Spain, or Spain as in the Canary Islands are part of Spain?
Dunno! But I would think he'd want to keep the Canarius pump primed. Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun - Page 4 Empty Re: 2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun

Post by Guest Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:22 pm

Hope the trip improves after the start:
@CoachReveno wrote:Flight to Europe just went out to runway and turned back due to "indicator light". Does @JayBilas cover international travel in "Toughness?"

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:54 am

Bobby Sharp, listed as a shooting guard, only smaller, but was the player of the year in his junior college basketball conference and is being recruited by the U, according to the story. His ability to shoot the three would help the Pilot cause.

SRJC ready to make deep playoff run
Emmanuel Mar 2nd, 2013
By HOWARD SENZELL
FOR THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

Santa Rosa Junior College’s Bobby Sharp was named Big Eight player of the year. (Crista Jeremiason / The Press Democrat)
Bobby Sharp, who made 50 percent of his 3-point shots while leading conference champion Santa Rosa JC in scoring, has been named Big Eight player of the year.

Sharp, who will be in action tonight when his team hosts Chabot in the CCCAA Northern California Regional, averaged 17 points in the regular season. The sophomore was also effective from inside the arc where he connected on 49 percent of his shots, and the free throw line where he nailed 82 percent of his attempts.

Two other SRJC men were voted to the all-conference first team — Max Fujii and Connor Gillett. Xavier McCall and Jajuan Hammond received honorable mention plaudits.

McCall and Sharp were teammates at Cardinal Newman and Fujii was All-Empire Player of the Year at Analy. Gillett is from La Mirada, and Hammond from Fresno.

The Bear Cubs women’s team, co-champions of the Big Eight, are represented by Whitney Edens (Cloverdale) and Arianna Hanson (Rincon Valley Christian) on the all-conference first team.

The women’s team will play the first game of the doubleheader tonight at Haehl Pavilion. They’ll host San Jose City College (12-16) at 5:30 p.m. The Bear Cubs (24-6) are the No. 1 seed in the NorCal Regionals.

The No. 4-seeded men, sporting a 25-5 record and eight-game winning streak, finished atop the Big Eight. Their game against No. 13 Chabot (14-13) is scheduled to tip off at 7:30 p.m.

Craig McMillan feels his fellow coaches made the right choice in picking Sharp for the conference’s biggest honor.

“Besides his great shooting touch, he does so many other things well,” McMillan said. “In his two years at the JC, he’s become an outstanding defender and rarely turns the ball over.”

Sharp, who is 6-foot and weighs 170 pounds, is drawing interest from Division I schools and has been contacted by Hawaii, UC Riverside and Portland.

Sharp was at practice when he learned he was getting the award.

“It’s exciting to be recognized like this,” he said.

Sharp believes his game has improved since his days at Cardinal Newman.

“I have a much better basketball IQ,” he said. “On offense, I’ve learned to read screens and my timing making the right plays has improved. I’ve also stepped up my defense.”

Fujii, who plays point guard, averaged only one turnover per game and shot 88 percent from the free throw line. Gillett, a power forward, averages eight rebounds a game.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:51 am

DoubleDipper wrote:BTW, if anyone is researching JCs, you might want to checkout Santa Rosa JC in Calif---they have a helluva good team! Shocked
Thanks for the research, wrv, when I mentioned SRJC on Saturday it was because of a comment I'd heard from Rev, but it was without a name.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am

DD, thanks for the direction because obviously it is why I looked.

Whomever they land let's hope it improves Pilot fortunes next year.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 am

Conference player of the year? 50% shooting from three-point range? Sign me up!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:39 am

rarely turns the ball over
I'm sold.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:46 am

It has to help recruiting when you can say that the starting PG position will be WIDE open to start the season...

I always find it interesting to see which other schools are interested in the players we may be interested in. If he is throwing out these sorts of numbers, it would seem that some bigger names should be interested in him...?

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:58 am

Found this article about Mr. Sharp. http://norcalpreps.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1467073

Liked this:
Majoring in communications is his current plan and his academics are in order.

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:58 am

Rumor has it that we have only one scholarship to offer. If so, it is not clear that the Pilots will offer Mr. Sharp because apparently Reveno continues to do what his mother told him and "shop around."

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:16 pm

Rumor has it that we have only one scholarship to offer.

Does this "rumor" have sources or is it just from whats been talked about on this page?

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:22 pm

DTLegend wrote:Does this "rumor" have sources or is it just from whats been talked about on this page?

Rumor? I thought it was just basic math.

13 total scholarships available
-13 players on roster
+1 graduating senior (Rodgers)
+1 walk-on (Ahern)
-1 commit (Wintering)

Equals 1 open scholarship. What am I missing?

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:29 pm

What happened to the Cason slot?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:38 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:What happened to the Cason slot?

I believe it is Cason's spot that is still available... scratch

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:42 pm

13 total scholarships available
-13 players on roster
+1 graduating senior (Rodgers)
+1 From Dorian's Transfer
-1 commit (Wintering)

When I asked for sources I was just infering about Oskars status, because that rumor could add another scholarship. I was curious if wvr had any insight on what that decision may be.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:49 pm

DTLegend wrote:When I asked for sources I was just infering about Oskars status, because that rumor could add another scholarship. I was curious if wvr had any insight on what that decision may be.

I see what you're saying. DD's post had some insight on that.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:52 pm

Scholarship players that should be returning next year (Ahern is a walk on):
1 Kevin Bailey
2 Bryce Pressley
3 Tanner Riley
4 John Bailey
5 Jake Ehlers
6 Thomas van der Mars
7 Riley Barker
8 Korey Thieleke
9 Ryan Nicholas
10 Oskars Reinsfelds
11 David Carr
12 Alec Wintering (Rodgers graduation)
13 To Be Determined (Cason departure)

So, unless there is a surprise (or truth to the Oskars rumor), we have 1 schollie to fill for next year.

Last edited by PilotNut on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Any rumor cited by me is no more than speculation from an eye on the program and this website. Don't mean to imply inside knowledge.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:22 pm

Maybe I missed it in an earlier post but isnt Santa Rosa JC where Nik Raivio went before UP??
Heck if this kid is half as good as Nik sign me up!

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:44 am

Coach Rev made it to Europe. He tweeted that he likes the prosciutto, cheese and bread breakfast.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:53 am

up7587 wrote:He tweeted that he likes the prosciutto, cheese and bread breakfast.

It's officially the offseason if we've resorted to these sort of updates.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:53 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:
up7587 wrote:He tweeted that he likes the prosciutto, cheese and bread breakfast.

It could actually have been Jamón Ibérica Belloto, which is from a pig raised exclusively on acorns. Quite yummy. Italian Prosciutto is one of those regional marks like French Burgundy in the EU.

I think Spanish Ham is better
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:19 pm

oldtimer wrote:Maybe I missed it in an earlier post but isnt Santa Rosa JC where Nik Raivio went before UP??
Heck if this kid is half as good as Nik sign me up!
Ha-ha, good memory, especially for an oldtimer, oldtimer.

Nik did indeed attend SRJC after playing one year at Northeastern JC in Sterling, CO, but he did not play at SRJC due to a broken collarbone. Fortuitous for UP that he DNP, as it gave him three years eligibility at UP.

I don't know how good a program Northeastern has today, but at the end of Nik's one year there, Northeastern sent 11 players to D-1 schools. #impressive
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:54 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:
DeanMurdoch wrote:

It could actually have been Jamón Ibérica Belloto, which is from a pig raised exclusively on acorns. Quite yummy. Italian Prosciutto is one of those regional marks like French Burgundy in the EU.

I think Spanish Ham is better

Specifically the whey leftover from making Parimiggiano Reggiano was fed to the pigs that are used to make traditional Prosciutto so unless it was shipped in from Italy it was probably some other type of pig. I don't know what the regulations for making Prosciutto are these days or if they still feed the pigs leftover whey.... Also, I can't say I've ever had Prosciutto although real Parmiggiano is delicious.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:01 am

In order to bring this discussion to it's logical conclusion, it turns out that barleywine is recommended as the pairing with prosciutto.

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun - Page 4 Prosci10

Dried Black Mission Figs stuffed with bleu cheese and wrapped with prosciutto sounds delicious. http://drinkwiththewench.com/2011/03/featured-beer-pairing-barleywine-prosciutto-wrapped-figs-stuffed-w-bleu-cheese/

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next