Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun

+14
DaTruRochin
goldhelmet
PurplePrideTrumpet
bdaddy
blacksheep
dholcombe
oldtimer
DoubleDipper
onetouchfutbol
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
wrv
DTLegend
NoPoNeighbor
18 posters

Page 9 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun - Page 9 Empty Re: 2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:25 pm

wrv wrote:Rafal Juc ‏@rafjuc 2 Apr According to his Twitter account @AitorXubi9 6-2 combo Aitor Zubizarreta ('95) from class 2013 visited University of Portland past week.Retweeted by EuropeanProspects
Retweets 8:06 AM - 2 Apr 13 · Details

Confirmation . . .
Ha-ha, yup!

I guess our actually seeing him at the Chiles Center couldn't be real unless someone tweeted it.... Razz #funnyworld
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11217
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun - Page 9 Empty Re: 2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun

Post by wrv Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:52 pm

Though the enthusiasm for confirmation might not be what it should be, coach Reveno likewise provides confirmation via recent twitter posts that he is seeking help to improve the three point shooting so that spacing may benefit. This acknowledgement confirms what many on this site have suggested is needed and perhaps confirms that Reveno does know what he is doing, if there remains doubt.

First: "3 best teams we had when won 60 gms in 3 yrs were perimeter oriented. Led country in 3 pt%. All-WCC guards. Agree, need to better."

And: "True. Slashers that need to attack in transition, off boards and isolations. Need to improve floor balance (3 pt % issue) for space."

Hope that Sharp and Zubizarreta, assuming we offered him, will provide floor balance by knocking down the three.

Go Pilots.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:21 am

From Twitter:
BasketHoopSpain ‏
@hoopspain Aitor Zubizarreta ('95), base-escolta de Iraurgi, jugará la próxima temporada en la Universidad de Portland || vía @juan_cobos
Juan Cobos Hernández
‏@juan_cobos Aitor Zubizarreta ('95), a 6-3 PG/SG playing at Iraurgi (Azpeitia, Spain), has signed a LOI to play basketball with the Portland Pilots
Both of the above were re-tweeted by Aitor himself (and the first one by Rev)... so I will take that as fact that he has signed! Very Happy

Welcome, Aitor!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:48 am

Que bueno, maravilloso, excellente

Notwithstanding the tepid report from DD of his performance at the Chiles center, I hope that he can compete immediately at this level and that he can shoot the three like no Basque before . . .assuming he is Basque.

Go Pilots.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:16 pm

wrv wrote:assuming he is Basque.

Go Pilots.

If he's not Basque with that name he is doing a hellish good imitation.

Love that he follows this guy on twitter
2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun - Page 9 311d492607e07b4ba53c43c3ae8e9730

He's coming to the right part of the world.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:45 pm

https://twitter.com/ColinPfaff/status/324603732300009472

Colin Pfaff confirms that Bobby Sharp has signed with UP...so no surprises in Pilot land on NLI day.

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:48 am

Coach Rev on the new recruits:

blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:34 am

Anyone got time to look up this player?
@RafalJuc wrote:Thanks to @ColinPfaff, @CoachMikeWolf & @CoachReveno for showing me so much love. University of Portland is a great place for int'l recruits

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:49 am

up7587 wrote:Anyone got time to look up this player?

He's a European scout in town for the Nike summit. About 5-11, has a Beatles haircut.

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:51 am

Anyone care to venture a guess as to which of our intrepid scholarship athletes will most significantly impact Pilot fortunes for the upcoming 13-14 school year?

Sharp? Wintering? Xubi?

I suspect that Sharp and Wintering will be competing for that distinction. Will be interesting to see if Rev uses Sharp at the point at all and whether he plays the two of them together, which may make us vulnerable defensively.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:14 am

wrv wrote:Anyone care to venture a guess as to which of our intrepid scholarship athletes will most significantly impact Pilot fortunes for the upcoming 13-14 school year?

I'd say if you can answer the "who's the starting PG" question, you'll have the answer to yours.

A not unrelated question - when was the last time the Pilots had a freshman PG that started his first game on campus? Don't believe it was this century...

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:37 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:A not unrelated question - when was the last time the Pilots had a freshman PG that started his first game on campus? Don't believe it was this century...

The only one close that I can recall was Taishi Ito... but upon checking, he "only" started the last 15 games of his freshman season... Hmmm. confused

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:01 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:
up7587 wrote:Anyone got time to look up this player?

He's a European scout in town for the Nike summit. About 5-11, has a Beatles haircut.
Thanks, haha. I didn't remember his name from the posts a couple weeks ago. And I was in a hurry.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:58 am

With all credit to DTLegend for the original "box," I've updated the roster as we believe it to be:

2014 2015 2016 2017
pg Wintering
Zubizarreta
sg Thieleke
Riley
Carr
Sharp
Pressley
sf K. Bailey
pf Nicholas J. Bailey
c van der Mars
Barker
Zubi is more a "combo" than a true PG, similar to the now departed Oskars but without the physical maturity and size. It's going to be an interesting October determining the starting PG with Carr recovering from knee surgery and Zubi and Alec just arriving from high school.

It's my belief that J. Bailey will NOT be on the roster after he graduates in May 2014....leaving UP with ZERO PFs on the roster from the current group.

Please, no more defections!! pale
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:07 am

For Pilots fans needing a bit of a “lift,” Zubi scored 30 points today in his club’s victory in The Basque Country Club Championships.

His junior team, Loiola Indautxu-95, won the first semi-final in overtime, 76-73, and now moves onto the final and a chance to not only win the Basque Championship, but a chance to participate in the Spanish Junior Championship’s.

(I believe the “95” in Zubi’s team’s name refers to all players must be born in 1995 or later to qualify for the team. Zubi was born in June, 1995.)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:52 am

Zubi's junior team is Glual Hydraulics ISB...they had a nice 76-73 playoff win OVER Loiola today.

Big wins over teams named Loiola. Keep that trend going when you arrive on campus, Aitor!

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:56 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:Zubi's junior team is Glual Hydraulics ISB...they had a nice 76-73 playoff win OVER Loiola today.

Big wins over teams named Loiola. Keep that trend going when you arrive on campus, Aitor!
Seriously, you mean I totally screwed-up the translation? Oh well, Zubi scored 30! Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:06 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Seriously, you mean I totally screwed-up the translation? Oh well, Zubi scored 30! Cool
Awww, who am I kidding...I cheated and looked at the guy that up7587 found the other day.

@rafjuc wrote:Portland 2013 commit 6-2 combo Aitor Zubizarreta ('95) scored 30 points in his Iraurgi's 76:73 OT win over Loiola Indautxu in U18 League
Twitter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:39 pm

I saw this interview (written in Spanish) on a website that features Spanish players who play at various places in the US. I took two years of Spanish at UP and I’ve lived in Spain and Southern California, but it was all some time ago....regardless, here goes my shot at translation:
Aitor Zubizarreta is a Spanish player who plays for Iraugi SB and has verbally committed to the University of Portland. (Since this interview he has signed a LOI with UP).

Note: Good player. Better person. Best wishes.

Q: You've been selected to the Spanish team at the junior level for a number years....is that your best basketball experience so far?

A: None of my experiences were better than another, but in the end my selection to the Spanish team was a nice experience with many good times. I played with some very good players and traded uniforms with many of them.....those were some memorable experiences.

Q: Focus on your game. You're a scorer. What improvements do you want to make in the future prior to your professional league play?

A: Well, I play as a combo guard, SG and PG, and as I go forward I would like to be a complete player.....to help my performance at both positions.

Q: You've committed to the University of Portland. How did you come about taking that step? Was your decision complicated?

A: My family and I think that to continue playing at a high level, and continuing to study to get a college degree, the USA is the right place. I was very sure in selecting Portland and I did not hesitate much in choosing UP.....because in the end, they were ones who showed the most interest in me and treated me the best during recruiting. Then I made the visit, and we thought it was the right place for studies and basketball.

Q: We know that you have visited Portland. What did you most like about the city?

A: Everyone I talked to spoke well of Portland, and I know someone who was three for three years, and he told me that it was an OK city. What I also like is that is similar to the Basque country.....raining much of the time...I will feel at home there.

Q: What do you expect from your freshman year at D-1 with the Pilots?

A: I look for a tough season but at the same time a season that will help me a lot to grow as a person after leaving family, friends, and the club (Iraurgi SB)....it will be complicated to be without them, but it will surely help me a great deal to be there. And I expect to help the team as much as possible while earning minutes and enjoying myself.

Q: What is the objective you have in mind?

A: The aim I have in mind right now is to win all matches with my club Iraurgi, and then face the future while attempting to win the most games possible with the Pilots while improving every day and winning the league race.

Finally, I would like to thank all those who have been at my side all these years, family, friends, all members of the club, players and referees….without them not I would not have gotten this opportunity to play in the USA.

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun - Page 9 Zubi10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:01 am

So, any good HS PFs available?

Tanner Lancona is a no (down to K-State, BYU, Saint Louis, and Colorado State). Fast-rising Jamal Aytes is gonna be a no (he's drawing interest from Pac-12 schools along with K-State).

Anyone else out there?

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:31 am

Well that was fast...

From Rev's Twitter:

Great weekend recruiting. Received a commitment from a transfer and did some solid work evaluating HS players. Only negative was...
..,jamming my thumb protecting my coffee from a loose ball in the 8 am game. Both ease of injury and pain level reminder of getting old...

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:05 am

Hmmmm. Juco transfer or D1 transfer? Or perhaps DoubleDipper isn't just pulling that Gerun name right out of thin air?

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:07 am

Yeah, I'm assuming that he is not refering to Sharp, but he could be. I've done a quick search and haven't found any information so at this point just wait and see who can find any sort of clues online.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:36 am

I think it is safe to say that it isn't Sharp, as he has already signed: LINK.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:27 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:Hmmmm. Juco transfer or D1 transfer? Or perhaps DoubleDipper isn't just pulling that Gerun name right out of thin air?
Ha-ha. The O2 level in that thin air was only about 5% after a very short conversation with a current Pilots player in Las Vegas.....we'll just have to see what shakes out.

Regardless of who it is, if it's a D-1 transfer, it leaves the PF position very, very thin for next year! Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next