Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current state of the program

+23
Urika
bullwinkle
Pilot60
DaTruRochin
mattywizz
writerpilot
Stonehouse
goldhelmet
blacksheep
oldtimer
bctigard
newpilotfan
DTLegend
Another Pilot Fan
PurplePrideTrumpet
NoPoNeighbor
Woodless!
pilotram
Geezaldinho
dholcombe
wrv
DoubleDipper
PilotNut
27 posters

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Current state of the program - Page 17 Empty Re: Current state of the program

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:11 pm

I'm told Oskars' interview lasted a lot longer than 30 minutes. Embarassed

Apparently the team wants him back AND the coaching staff wants him back too and "will go to bat for him," but it's up to the "school."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:56 pm

O, BTW, Oskars tuns 19 tomorrow----how many of us were given multiple second chances as teen agers? And if we hadn't gotten those second chances---where would we be today?

I wouldn't be a UP graduate---that is for sure!!! tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:46 pm

I used up my second chances before I got out middle school.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Current state of the program - Page 17 Empty Miscellaneous Thoughts

Post by bullwinkle Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:52 am

1. Derrick stepped up to a whole new level of play this year after Carr went down. He, and the Pilots, were far more likely to be at their best when he ran the ball up the court. He controlled the team’s energy level. When LMU players could have coffee and a smoke waiting for Derrick to get the ball to half court, it’s no surprise we lost in Vegas.

2. The other reason it wasn’t a surprise – my wife predicted a loss before the game began when she observed Rev looked grouchy and the players didn’t seem happy or enthusiastic.

3. Never understood the offensive play that starts with lining up across the free throw line. Other than waste time and show the men could line up as straight as the dance team, what was the point?

4. While we saw individual player improvement over the season from a number of the guys, we didn’t appear to improve as a team.

5. Reveno’s oft quoted remark about “defense determines who wins the game and offense by how much” only applies when you have an offense.

6. How many offensive plays do we actually have?

7. The last few games of the year, I preferred to watch the second team for the few minutes they were in together. They ran, they passed, they moved, and they all took shots – even if they missed, they looked like a team with a purpose and one having fun at a game they love.

8. I’m just guessing here, but I doubt any of these kids were reluctant to shoot the ball in high school. Why does it look like Kevin, Ryan, and Thomas are the only players with a green light, and an expectation, to shoot?

9. I agree whole-heartedly with the post that suggested a preference for summer pics of these kids taking 2000 shots a day instead of pushing tractor tires. Yes, there needs to be strength and conditioning. Let’s face it though, they could all look like Chippendales, but if they can’t hit a three point shot (hell, even a shot outside the paint); our rank in the conference ain’t gonna change (though attendance might pick up).

10. Keep hearing about Tanner being a streak shooter. I feel for him. Think of the pressure he’s under knowing he gets a couple shots and if one doesn’t fall, he’s out. I’ve watched Kevin Pangos, Anthony Ireland, Johnny Dee, Cody Doolin all have bad shooting games and their minutes don’t change much. Make a commitment here. He’s the best three point shooter on the team.

11. We desperately need a true point guard (though Carr has done a great job stepping in, it’s not his natural position).

12. I’m not buying that the problem is the quality of the recruits until I see the quality of our coaching improve.

13. I love Reveno, but he hasn’t delivered. Even in our 20 win seasons, we didn’t do anything post season. He’s a quality guy, deep thinker, and great defensive coach – so what to do? A. The whole crew goes and we start over? B. Some of them go (we get a new assistant that knows offense)? C. They get a last chance agreement? Personally, my preference is B – C – A.

14. And one last thing. The cheer squad is great. It’s wonderful to see they have new outfits. I remember a few years ago, there was one outfit and it looked out of date. They do great routines. But here’s my observation – look around the arena. Besides empty seats, what do you see? A pretty diverse crowd in terms of age. How about playing to them. I don’t know what today’s music is called, but really how about some variety – blues, jazz, country, hits from 30 to 50 years ago, I don’t care. Pick a tune your parents listened to. St. Mary’s did a couple dances to other music and I loved it. I get tired of routines to music I’ve never heard of and won’t listen to again.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:04 am

Great stuff, Bullwinkle! Thank you for posting... not much to disagree with.

If others have random thoughts, please post them! If we don't let the U know how we feel, how is anything ever going to change?!! Also, a reminder to let the Athletic Director, Scott Leykam, know how you feel! His contact information is on the UP site, here.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:07 am

14) the guy who sits in back of me has been grousing all year that the dancers only dance to the student side of the court, even when there are no students there.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:15 am

PurpleGeezer wrote:14) the guy who sits in back of me has been grousing all year that the dancers only dance to the student side of the court, even when there are no students there.

The UP Dance Team has a Facebook page... and they are responsive. I would recommend that this feedback be given to them directly... I am not sure if it is a conscious decision or not.

They also have a page on the UP site, with some email addresses (and a link to the facebook page): LINK.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:41 am

That would have to be somebody else writing.

I'm really not opposed to the umm...
perspective presented.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by bctigard Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:43 am

#4!!! Evil or Very Mad
#3---I'm so tired of watching them try to set whatever that is up.
#12...I won't argue with improving recruiting, but this team could be much more successful with the same set of kids.

Where are the easy shots? where is the movement? Anyone seen a pick and roll?

If something doesn't work (see #3) make adjustments and move forward. It might make scouting us a little bit more difficult!

Go Pilots!

bctigard
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:48 am

bullwinkle wrote:9. I agree whole-heartedly with the post that suggested a preference for summer pics of these kids taking 2000 shots a day instead of pushing tractor tires. Yes, there needs to be strength and conditioning. Let’s face it though, they could all look like Chippendales, but if they can’t hit a three point shot (hell, even a shot outside the paint); our rank in the conference ain’t gonna change (though attendance might pick up).

This point has come up a couple times in this thread. Apparently the NCAA is behind it.

CoachReveno wrote:@CoachReveno: Friend just emailed asking why we dont show off season skill work pictures -because its against NCAA rules. Why weights not? I have no idea.

Go figure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:04 pm

Not that THIS helps our program, but we can at least be thankful that we are not at this point.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:14 pm

Interesting article on OSU in the Oregonian tonight... it almost exactly states what we have been saying about our program. Replace the references to OSU, Pac-12 & Robinson with UP, WCC & Reveno, and it is amazingly similar... LINK

Goe: Craig Robinson says it's time to raise the bar at Oregon State, and he's right

By Ken Goe, The Oregonian
on March 13, 2013 at 7:38 PM, updated March 13, 2013 at 7:39 PM

LAS VEGAS – It’s hard to put a positive spin on the way Oregon State’s season of futility ended Wednesday in MGM Grand Garden Arena, but goodness knows OSU coach Craig Robinson tried. “We’ve made a lot of progress,” Robinson insisted. “You know, when I first got to Oregon State we were trying not to lose by 30. This year, because of these guys’ hard work continually, we were in every game we played in the Pac-12 this year.”

The statute of limitations for blaming the predecessor is long over.

Robinson has had five full seasons in Corvallis. He recruited every player on the roster. This team’s record is his responsibility, and his alone.

The record isn’t pretty.

The Beavers lost 15 of 19 games against conference opponents this season, the worst in his tenure.

Wednesday’s 74-68 loss to Colorado in the first round of the Pac-12 Conference tournament was typical of the season. OSU played hard and well enough to be in the game late. Roberto Nelson’s three-point play with 18 seconds left had the Beavers within 72-66.

But here is the thing. That isn’t good enough. A close loss still is a loss. When it happens consistently, it’s worse than being blown out because it shows that you’re physically able to play with your opponents.

It’s the coach’s job to take a team the rest of the way.

To his credit, Robinson said after the game the Beavers wouldn’t pursue a berth in the College Basketball Invitational, the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl of college postseason basketball.

The CBI is a tournament that schools have to buy their way into, and Oregon State wasn’t too proud to do it in three of Robinson’s first four seasons.

“Normally we would say yes to that,” Robinson said. “But these guys want to be NCAA Tournament guys. I don’t know with our record if we would even be invited. But we are raising the bar. We want to feel the sting of not playing in the postseason and see how that motivates us for next year.”

Well, good. I don’t know how many OSU fans who aren’t friends or family members would want to watch another CBI foray.

Heck, some friends and family members wouldn’t either.

The Beavers shot less than 40 percent against Colorado and were pounded 43-30 on the boards.

They played a scrappy 2-3 zone that gave Colorado fits. But it was a seriously ugly game to watch. Give former OSU greats A.C. Green and Gary Payton credit for sticking out all 40 minutes.

Robinson seems to be in no danger of losing his job. His contract runs through the 2016-17 season. And, besides he brings real strengths to the school.

He recruits well. He effectively raises money at a school where fund-raising is critical. He represents Oregon State well in the community.

Oh, and he is President Obama’s brother-in-law.

But on the court, this isn’t working. Eventually, every coach at this level gets judged on his record, no matter how good the family connections.

Maybe Robinson should retool his coaching staff to bring in a veteran assistant. An experienced voice beside him on the bench might help. It couldn’t hurt.

At the very least, the long offseason should give Robinson time to come up with a better plan on offense. At the moment, it seems to feature too much perimeter passing with post players handling the ball 25 feet from the basket, and too often results in a forced jumper to beat the shot clock.

Certainly, OSU caught some bad breaks this season with season-ending injuries to post players Angus Brandt and Daniel Gomis.

But that is college basketball. You rarely make it through a season untouched. Players get hurt. They go into funks. Sometimes they leave.

Sophomore forward Eric Moreland, for instance, could turn pro before the 2013-14 season convenes. He will have the opportunity if he wants to take it.

Constant references to players who aren’t on the floor are losers’ laments. Good teams have the depth, will and, yes, coaching to persevere anyway.

“We want to be an NCAA Tournament team next year,” Robinson said. “I mean that’s what programs at this level strive for. That’s what we strive for.”

OK, Robinson is on record.

It’s time for the decision-makers at OSU to hold him to it.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:48 pm

Reveno is the President's Brother-in-Law?!?!

(Ok i'll stop...)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by bctigard Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:08 am

"played hard and well enough to be in the game late"

We play hard, but rarely well enough to be in the game late.

As far as the Grambling stats are concerned: they're awful, but we're not far from those numbers.

I love the pilots, but our current offensive "system" is an atrocity. It's not just because of the injury issues or talent. It just doesn't work.

bctigard
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by writerpilot Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:55 pm

Rev returns, per the Oregonian:
http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2013/03/mens_basketball_reveno_will_be.html#incart_river_default

I kind of figured this was the case. You usually don't send a coach halfway around the world for a recruiting trip only to can him upon his return.

Hope things get turned around next year!
writerpilot
writerpilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by bctigard Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:02 am

U kidding me? confused

bctigard
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:45 pm

I really hope we see a change in assistant coaches and get an assistant to help create an offense. I don't think Rev's a bad coach, but I haven't seen evidence lately anyone on staff is an offensive expert. I see players skills improving, evidence of coaching happening between games, etc. Exceptionally good defense at times and always pretty good on D, but offense. Oh man.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:12 am

dholcombe wrote:I really hope we see a change in assistant coaches and get an assistant to help create an offense.
Um, I haven't heard of any changes coming to the staff, but you never know.

I did see the entire staff (minus 1)just yesterday at the Chiles Center. The "minus 1" still identifies himself as Assistant Men's Basketball Coach @ University of Portland on social media.....I just didn't see him.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by bctigard Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:10 pm

Some change would be nice. Based on the last 2 years, I was shocked to see that Rev's coming back.

His scheme should look much, much different next year. If it isn't, we should be prepared for more of the same. The effort is there, but these kids were just not in a position to be successful given their skill set and athleticism.

Any more news on Oskars?

bctigard
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:29 pm

He's coming back, but I imagine with little room for error. So as a career preservation strategy, if for no other reason, Rev had better go back to the drawing board for the offense.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:31 pm

I must have missed that meeting.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by bctigard Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:36 pm

Sarcasm?

bctigard
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:25 pm

dholcombe wrote:I really hope we see a change in assistant coaches and get an assistant to help create an offense. I don't think Rev's a bad coach, but I haven't seen evidence lately anyone on staff is an offensive expert. I see players skills improving, evidence of coaching happening between games, etc. Exceptionally good defense at times and always pretty good on D, but offense. Oh man.
bctigard wrote:Some change would be nice. Based on the last 2 years, I was shocked to see that Rev's coming back.

His scheme should look much, much different next year. If it isn't, we should be prepared for more of the same. The effort is there, but these kids were just not in a position to be successful given their skill set and athleticism.
NoPoNeighbor wrote:He's coming back, but I imagine with little room for error. So as a career preservation strategy, if for no other reason, Rev had better go back to the drawing board for the offense.
From Rev a couple of hours ago on Twitter:
Amazing impact of internet...patients think they are doctors, investors think they are stock guru's and everyone thinks they can coach.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:42 pm

Great quote from Rev. Can't remember one I liked better. But can we get off this topic. The "Current State of the Program" can generate only so many comments. We have decided its lacking, but there is basketball still and I prefer being a fan for the home team that leaves the coaching decisions where they belong.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:47 pm

wrv wrote:Great quote from Rev. Can't remember one I liked better. But can we get off this topic. The "Current State of the Program" can generate only so many comments. We have decided its lacking, but there is basketball still and I prefer being a fan for the home team that leaves the coaching decisions where they belong.
Yea, I too think we've chopped down about every tree in this forest.....maybe a new thread titled "Current State of a Program on Its Way Back, Baby!"
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next