Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun

+14
DaTruRochin
goldhelmet
PurplePrideTrumpet
bdaddy
blacksheep
dholcombe
oldtimer
DoubleDipper
onetouchfutbol
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
wrv
DTLegend
NoPoNeighbor
18 posters

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun - Page 2 Empty Re: 2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun

Post by DTLegend Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:32 pm

I know there has been talk about where our last scholarship should go this year.

I'm not really sure if there is a fix-all option but it has been discussed that we are in desperate need of a knock down, CONSISTENT, shooter.
Just reading some stuff online and I came across Connor Toolson.

He may not be the most sought after recruit, and I'm not sure if he holds any scholarships. He plays on one of the top teams in the country with 3 BYU recruits. Not sure if he is Mormon and planning on a mission.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun - Page 2 Empty Re: 2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:05 pm

Good find....Toolson is well known by many schools, and I would imagine UP is no exception.

He is a member of the LDS Church, and has a 99% likliehood of staying in Utah for college. Maybe BYU, but others have a shot too.

Source: a distant relative who's a prof. at BYU.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:09 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Good find....Toolson is well known by many schools, and I would imagine UP is no exception.

He is a member of the LDS Church, and has a 99% likliehood of staying in Utah for college. Maybe BYU, but others have a shot too.

Source: a distant relative who's a prof. at BYU.

Maybe the kid doesn't want to play in the Mountain West. Surprised
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:24 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:Maybe the kid doesn't want to play in the Mountain West. Surprised
Haha; conspiracy theorist!

Far better in the MWC than with Utah St. in the WAC or Weber St. in the Big Sky. If he has a choice, I’m betting on Utah in the Pac-12.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:32 pm

This talk of needing to find a shooter is both accurate, in that we do need a shooter, and alarming, in that our clear need from a depth standpoint (as opposed to a performance standpoint) is at forward, not guard.

From a position standpoint, we have PLENTY of shooters: Riley, Carr, K. Bailey, Reinfelds, Pressley... The sad truth is that none of them is good enough as a shooter, which puts us in a position of clamoring for the coaches to recruit yet another guard, when clearly our biggest need in terms of depth is at forward.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:20 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:From a position standpoint, we have PLENTY of shooters: Riley, Carr, K. Bailey, Reinfelds, Pressley... The sad truth is that none of them is good enough as a shooter, which puts us in a position of clamoring for the coaches to recruit yet another guard, when clearly our biggest need in terms of depth is at forward.
Totally agree, NPN. I've stated before, in a different thread, that I believe Oskars, Bryce, and KB will blossom....eventually. Watching them in practice you can see their skill...and they are young and developing.

When I call for a SHOOTER, now, I'm calling for one from the current ranks.....we do need a POWER forward….soon.

I know, I know, it’s a lot of pressure on young Alec….but he can handle the ball and shoot. If Rev can keep the roster together, I think there’ll be more options next year.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:11 am

Anyone know what the deal is with Dezmyn Trent? SG out of Henry Foss HS in Tacoma....no college interest listed on his ESPN recruiting page.

Hey, maybe I'll text him to ask...he tweeted his cell number yesterday Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:57 am

Yeah that PF spot is a big need. Especially for the long term development of the Pilots. Our big's are Ryan, Thomas, Riley, and Jake. So after next season we're left with Thomas, Riley, and Jake. If we go big, we have a season to groom some more depth. If we go the JC rout, I really don't see us getting a big. If it's the JC rout its a solid, strong, ballhandling PG or a pure shooter. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing a stretch 4. Usually big's don't develop an outside shot until later in thier college careers, but if there were a stretch 4 that would be pretty sweet.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:31 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:Anyone know what the deal is with Dezmyn Trent? SG out of Henry Foss HS in Tacoma....no college interest listed on his ESPN recruiting page.

Hey, maybe I'll text him to ask...he tweeted his cell number yesterday Rolling Eyes
I realize you were just joking about contacting young Dezmyn.....but something I learned the hard way many years ago is you've got to be careful when contacting a recruit or even a potential recruit.

A week ago a number of us heard a short presentation from UP's Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance about the pitfalls that can occur through a simple contact made or benefit given a high school age kid.

DM, this is not aimed toward you, but in general to all, if you see someone with potential, the coaching staff would love to hear from you....they will almost always follow-up in some fashion and keep you in the loop.

Face it, UP has a reputation for being squeaky-clean......to keep it that way, all are encouraged to contact Assistant Athletic Director/Compliance, Ryan McAlvey; mcalvey@up.edu; 503-943-7127 if you have any questions or concerns.

Sorry for the public service announcement, but the more we spread the word, the easier it to avoid problems down the road. We all know many of the NCAA's rules are stupid, but that doesn't mean we don't have to comply.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:43 am

Along those lines DD, I know this may not be the best place for this, but I understand that contacting a recruit or potential recruit can become an issue. The question I have is involving Twitter or Facebook. Any top recruit now gets hounded by fans making their cases for different universities. How does that play into all of this?

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:06 am

I think kids just don't realize how public all this stuff is. I certainly wasn't looking for it - I just googled Dezmyn Trent looking for his scout.com page. Twitter thing pops up as #4 on the search, click that and there's his number.

Once they get past HS they'll get a talk about how important it is to maintain your private information as private information and I think that drives the point home, but until then...they're just like any other high schooler who wouldn't think twice about sending it as a tweet instead of a DM and you hope some donkey doesn't get ahold of it. With the whole Manti Te'o thing you just never know. It's a scary and anonymous world out there sometimes.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:57 pm

DTLegend wrote:Along those lines DD, I know this may not be the best place for this, but I understand that contacting a recruit or potential recruit can become an issue. The question I have is involving Twitter or Facebook. Any top recruit now gets hounded by fans making their cases for different universities. How does that play into all of this?
Good question….so I took my own advice and asked Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance, Ryan McAlvey your question.

Here’s his response (slightly edited for this forum):
It is NOT permissible for a representative of athletics interest (booster) to have any type of contact with a recruit or his/her family be it in person or via phone, email or social media.

In fact, in-person contact is prohibited even if a booster is approached by the recruit or their family….if there is a conversation it cannot be in excess of a polite greeting and explanation that you cannot talk due to NCAA rules or a violation is committed.

Initiating contact via social media sites is impermissible and a violation. Repeated violations could result in the institution not be allowed to recruit the prospect.

It is permissible to follow a recruit’s Twitter page or Facebook but you cannot post or comment on their pages. We would have to report any violations to the WCC should it happen.
In his email, Ryan encouraged all to contact him if there are questions...mcalvey@up.edu.

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun - Page 2 Social10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:22 am

So...what makes one a booster. Donation to Pilot Club? Having season tickets? Owning a purple shirt?

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:54 pm

dholcombe wrote:So...what makes one a booster. Donation to Pilot Club? Having season tickets? Owning a purple shirt?

Yes.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:34 pm

@CoachReveno wrote:After practice, snuck down to California ahead of the team to check out a junior college game. Not disappointed.

There were only 68 CCCAA teams playing tonight...we got 'er narrowed down! #RevWatch2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:47 pm

blacksheep wrote:
dholcombe wrote:So...what makes one a booster. Donation to Pilot Club? Having season tickets? Owning a purple shirt?

Yes.

Being an alumn does it.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:45 am

Not sure if anyone saw this, but I think that it is important considering all this talk about Rev and his ability to recruit and evaluate talent.

http://instagram.com/p/Vry4ncR2Jz/

While this is just the nomination it's still a big accomplishment for Alec.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:54 am

A nice accomplishment for sure....I was surprised to see that there were a total of 814 nominees across the nation for the McDonald's All-American game. Alec is one of 27 from North Carolina.

I think Ehlers was a McDonald's nominee last year.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:25 pm

Alec did NOT make the McDonald's All-American team, but if look at the players who did, you see some really big time players heading to some really big time programs.
LINK

Congratulations to Alec on his nomination.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:43 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:
blacksheep wrote:
Yes.
Being an alumn does it.
Not so fast there, Geez, simply being an alum does NOT make one a booster.

Again, I went to our best source when it comes to recruits and how to avoid recruiting violations, Ryan McAlvey, Assistant Athletic Director - Compliance and Student Services. Here's what Ryan wrote:
Just being an alum of UP does not make one a booster (being a former player or parent of a player does, however).

There are a few ways one can become a booster, or in NCAA terms, a “Representative of Athletics Interest.”

Most individuals who are boosters are those who have EVER contributed financially towards the institution’s athletic program. This includes donations to the Pilot Club, the athletics department in general or any individual sports program, or buying season tickets.

One gets booster designation also if their business is a sponsor of one of our athletics teams or the department or has arranged for or provided employment to one of our student-athletes.

Remember too that designation of a booster status is for life. This is where an individual got in trouble at Indiana this past year and 2 players were subsequently suspended; he thought that because he had only given a small amount of money 20 years ago it was not an issue....it was!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:08 am

Here’s another one for you….the NCAA apparently has one individual whose job it is to look at all message boards like PilotNation.net……..I know, wow, really?

Again, from Ryan McAlvey:
If a poster on a message board is also a booster he/she needs to be careful if a prospect or a parent of a prospect begins posting.

If it is known that a poster on a message board is a recruit or their family member, you as a booster cannot address posts to them or respond to their posts.

That may seem farfetched but at one school I worked at we had the father of a high level prospect openly posted about his son and even had the board name “tylers dad.”
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:17 am

you told Ryan the discussion here was about a fan Contacting chatting with a recruit, right?

Every school that has a policy on their website strongly discourages fan contact, booster or not, with prospective recruits, whether you are a defined booster or not.

Here is the one from UP's sister school. Note they aren't saying if you don't have a season ticket go ahead and call the kid up.

I'm an Alumnus, am I a Booster?

Not necessarily. Not all Notre Dame alumni are considered boosters. Likewise, a booster does not have to be a graduate of Notre Dame. Boosters meet at least one of the criteria listed above. Thus, an individual who has ever made a financial contribution to the Athletics Department is a booster. In a 
general sense, a season ticket holder in any sport at any time is a booster. Members and financial supporters of the Notre Dame Monogram Club or any other Notre Dame athletic organization are boosters. These are only a handful of examples of typical "boosters" who may be affiliated with an athletic program. Many additional scenarios exist, but, regardless of a booster affiliation with the university, it is important that all supporters follow NCAA rules as they interact with prospects, current student-athletes, their families and friends.

So if you are just an alumn, act as a booster, is the advice Notre Dame gives.

It's a pretty instructive web page. Basically, the operative word is "don't"

http://ncaacompliance.nd.edu/boosters.shtml

And "Tyler'sdad" was me. Razz
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:52 am

Saw a headline that said something like "top juco recruit sets up two PNW visits" - was hopeful, but Elgin Cook of NW Florida State College (6'6" 2/3) will be visiting Gonzaga and Oregon.

Guess they're after him hard...guy's got three years of eligibility yet.

This site - www.jucorecruiting.com - is supposedly going to be listing their top 100 juco recruits in the nation in the next couple of days. Will be interesting to take a look at.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:32 pm

The latest really good verbal commit I saw was from one of the best high school shooting guards in the country; Evan Payne from Cuyahoga Falls, OH….he’s going to LMU this summer.

I’ve followed jucorerecruiting.com for a couple years, as does Rev, but it’s really going to be our coaches traveling to the near-empty gyms around the country and continuing their contacts with coaches that’s going to make the difference.

You don’t hear a lot about it, but all the coaches have been on the road scouting and building relationships. Coach Pfaff was in Charlotte having lunch with Alec just yesterday....I'm hoping he was learning about even more good guards.

I don’t really know specifics about any one JC player’s ability to matriculate at UP, but it IS a problem, and subject that is mentioned quite often on campus. Allowances can be made, but they can only go so far……

The really good ones who are also good in the classroom are picked off by the BIG conferences…..BUT it could take only one good one to turn the team/program around...if it starts a winning trend.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:31 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:BUT it could take only one good one to turn the team/program around...if it starts a winning trend.
Like TJ Campbell? The winning trend lasted for three seasons. Whoops!

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next