Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun

+14
DaTruRochin
goldhelmet
PurplePrideTrumpet
bdaddy
blacksheep
dholcombe
oldtimer
DoubleDipper
onetouchfutbol
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
wrv
DTLegend
NoPoNeighbor
18 posters

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun Empty 2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun

Post by Guest Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:38 pm

I felt kind of bad for littering the Cason thread with talk about what to do with an allegedly open scholarship, so I thought I'd open this.

Assuming Cason is gone, here's where the Pilots stand in terms of graduating classes -

2014 - Nicholas (PF), Thieleke (SG), Riley (SG)
2015 - K. Bailey (SF), van der Mars (C), Carr (PG), Barker (C), J. Bailey (PF)
2016 - Reinfelds (SG), Pressley (PG), Ehlers (PF), Ahern (PG)
2017 - Wintering (PG)

And projected depth for 2013-14:

PG - Pressley (So), Wintering (Fr), Ahern (So)
SG - Reinfelds (So), Thieleke (Sr), Riley (Sr)
SF - K. Bailey (Jr)
PF - Nicholas (Sr), Ehlers (So), J. Bailey (Jr)
C - van der Mars (Jr), Barker (Jr)
Status unknown - Carr (Jr)

Last edited by DeanMurdoch on Thu May 09, 2013 8:03 pm; edited 11 times in total

Back to top Go down

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun Empty Re: 2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun

Post by Guest Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:39 pm

Rev tweet from Tuesday night -

Spoke at Providence Hosp today then hit road recruiting. Saw a GREAT high school game in Canada. No surprise practice went well w/ out me.

Yeah, we're hiding a few gems up here on the frozen tundra. Pretty curious as to who he was up looking at....

Back to top Go down

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun Empty Re: 2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:38 am

KGW Sports did a story last night on Chiles Center renovations. Talked about them as a recruiting tool: http://www.kgw.com/sports/UP-Pilots-soar-into-21st-century-recruitin-184192691.html

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1396
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:52 am

Here is a chart of what our team looks like next year in a table format:

Class of 14Class of 15 Class of 16 Class of 17
pg David Ahern (WO) Alec Wintering
sg Korey Thieleke
Tanner Riley
David Carr Oskars Reinfelds
sf Kevin Bailey Bryce Pressley
pf Ryan Nicholas John Bailey (RS)Jake Ehlers
c Thomas van der Mars
Riley Barker (RS)

We have one open scholarship. Any thoughts on position? JC route or HS Senior?

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:08 am

wrv wrote:In this thread there is a suggestion that we recruit a power forward to replace Dorian. Though I am not opposed to the Pilots bringing in another big, I think our area of greatest need is in the backcourt where shooting, scoring or the ability to make a play if the called play breaks down is limited, arguably more limited than I have seen. We are not getting much production from our back court.

If there is a JC swing player who can shoot and score and perhaps start at the big guard, who can give us an offensive threat from that position, I would take him, leave the boards to our current roster of players.

I certainly don't disagree with you that adding a legitimate outside threat for the 2 would be a definite boost for next year's squad....I just think that adding a juco player this year sets the Pilots up for another year like last year when KB, vdM, DC, Barker, and J. Bailey all graduate in 2015.

My opinion is that you groom a Nicholas replacement next year that would hopefully be ready to step in as a starter when the big group above is seniors, then go the juco route to help replenish when they're gone.

Edit: Also, I think we're all hoping that Wintering is able to provide at least part of the solution for the backcourt issues you mentioned.

Wrv wrote:On a related note, anyone have any insight into who Reveno might have gone to Vancouver BC to watch and recruit?

I know that Luka Zaharijevic (6'8" PF from Kitsilano HS) has been among the most highly touted members of the 2013 draft class from BC. There's some absolutely baseless speculation for you.

Last edited by DeanMurdoch on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wintering addition)

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:10 pm

I just think that adding a juco player this year sets the Pilots up for another year like last year when KB, vdM, DC, Barker, and J. Bailey all graduate in 2015.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Having our scholarships broken into a 3,6,3,1 format gets us into the same cycle. I'd much rather see a 3,5,3,2 format and eventually even it out more in a couple of years. I'm assuming just looking at what we have/what we need that either another pg will be targeted or a PF/C that can fill in when VDM/Barker graduate. I'd really like to see ehlers get some more minutes as it seems like he has passed up John Bailey on the depth chart.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:11 pm

DTLegend wrote: I'd really like to see ehlers get some more minutes as it seems like he has passed up John Bailey on the depth chart.
While I think that this SHOULD be the case, I don't think it IS the case. Ehlers hasn't played a single minute in the last two games, 1 minute against UK, and did not play against UNLV. At this point, it seems like a shame to have burned a potential redshirt year for Jake.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:30 pm

Luka references his desire to play in the Oregon, Washington area and to play D1 ball in the linked article. Uof P mentioned prominently. The mystery of Reveno's jaunt to watch what he described on the radio as a really good high school basketball game may well be resolved, as well as his intentions regarding recruiting. Considering that Reveno is no doubt the closer for our recruiting efforts, Luka must be high on the Pilots list.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Bazooka+Demons+trounce+Saints/7657489/story.html

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:43 pm

We gotta get this guy, if only to be able to talk about " Luka the Bazooka."
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:49 pm

Oh, snap. Nice find, wrv - Luka even specifically mentions UP in his quote.

I was just throwing crap at the wall with that name...he's the only one I had heard of in the Lower Mainland. Looks like there might be some substance to it!

How can you not like the name Luka Bazooka....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:52 pm

“The CIS wouldn't be bad, of course, but I just want to go to the NCAA, even a low Division One school like Seattle University or the University of Portland. It doesn't have to be one of the high ones like Gonzaga or Washington.”

Well, Bazooka. I'd love to argue with you about Portland being a low Div I school...but I'll wait until we're ranked higher than 211 out of 347 D-1 teams before doing so.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:54 pm

I agree that unless TJ Campbell's clone is available, we should go after a HS player, to keep the scholarship classes as even as possible.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:04 pm

Looking at the chart, where is the next center? I think a true center needs to be added to the roster. Unless Rev has a line on a Class of 2018 guy who could play very quickly, I think a big man should be added who could red shirt next year, get some playing experience as a frosh with two senior bigs, and then be ready to go when VDM and Barker leave. As much as I want to see more ball handlers and athletes, I think another big man is the highest priority.

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:30 pm

wrv wrote:Luka references his desire to play in the Oregon, Washington area and to play D1 ball in the linked article. Uof P mentioned prominently. The mystery of Reveno's jaunt to watch what he described on the radio as a really good high school basketball game may well be resolved, as well as his intentions regarding recruiting. Considering that Reveno is no doubt the closer for our recruiting efforts, Luka must be high on the Pilots list.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Bazooka+Demons+trounce+Saints/7657489/story.html

As far as I know, U of P does not offer an architecture program, but, if he wants to play for a coach of big men...Rev is as good as it gets.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:01 pm

onetouchfutbol wrote:As far as I know, U of P does not offer an architecture program, but, if he wants to play for a coach of big men...Rev is as good as it gets.
Agreed!

When you get right down to it, the question is, what is most important to you (and your parents, to some degree) at age 16 or 17? If Luka the Bazooka really wants to stay in Washington or Oregon, and he really wants to get a degree in architecture, and he really wants to play NCAA D-1 ball, he's got five choices: UW, WSU, PSU, OSU, or UO....which has one of the better architecture programs in the Western US.

As a Serbo-Canadian, Luka the Bazooka may have an opportunity to play on a couple of national teams and make some money playing basketball.....if that's what he really wants, then UP and Reveno have a chance at the big guy, and he has a chance of following his basketball dreams.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11095
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:16 pm

up7587 wrote:Looking at the chart, where is the next center? I think a true center needs to be added to the roster.

Dunno, I see more of an immediate need at PF with Nicholas graduating a year earlier than vdM/Barker. Don't see John Bailey being able to carry the mail on a full-time basis at PF and (correct me if I'm wrong) does Ehlers not project out more as a SF than a PF?

For those reasons - and the fact that the article indicates that he's a smart kid that would likely be able to handle the academics at UP - I think Bazooka seems like an outstanding fit to fill the last open scholarship.

If you think that Ehlers can indeed step in at PF, then I'll agree with up7587 that a C should be targeted here.

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:56 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:If Luka the Bazooka really wants to stay in Washington or Oregon, and he really wants to get a degree in architecture, and he really wants to play NCAA D-1 ball, he's got five choices: UW, WSU, PSU, OSU, or UO....which has one of the better architecture programs in the Western US.
From what I know about the rigors of studying architecture, I doubt that many Division-I athletes are able to get architecture degrees (especially in the Pac-12). Architecture requires A LOT of time in the studio, and requires students to be present for lots of in-person presentations.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:04 am

PilotNut wrote:I agree that unless TJ Campbell's clone is available, we should go after a HS player, to keep the scholarship classes as even as possible.
Or a Canaan Chatman clone....oh wait there is one....and he's a high school kid!

Canaan played two years on the Bluff after transferring from Oregon St. He was a two-year starter ... led Portland in scoring as a senior ... led the team in rebounding both seasons ... was a two-time Team MVP ...a two-time All-West Coast Conference … WCC All-Tournament team as a senior ... and fastest player in UP history to 1,000 points. Finished with 1021 total points in his two years on the Bluff.

The reason I mention Canaan, besides him being one of the all-time best players at UP, is his son, Kameron will begin playing for Canaan’s one-time UP teammate Sharrief “Doc” Metoyer at Long Beach Poly High School in California later in the spring

Canaan is still very active in youth basketball in Portland, but he sent his son to play for Doc to so he could play on an elite high school team and develop against higher caliber opponents.

Long Beach Poly was rated #1 in California in the preseason, but then junior forward Kameron lost his transfer appeal to the CIF and will be ineligible until March 16, 2013, which is the day the state regional finals begin. Chatman moved from Oregon last March, but he was declared ineligible for following Doc, who also happenes to be his club coach and godfather.

Virtually all the Pac-12 schools have already made offers to Kameron…..but maybe the Pilots will get lucky in 2014.
2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun Kamero10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:08 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote: From what I know about the rigors of studying architecture, I doubt that many Division-I athletes are able to get architecture degrees (especially in the Pac-12). Architecture requires A LOT of time in the studio, and requires students to be present for lots of in-person presentations.
You are correct, but of course one has to ask, how many Pac-12 players actually graduate in 4 years? If your education is paid for, and you can get a "redshirt" year, GO FOR IT!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:13 am

I recall that recent UO QB Justin Roper was an architecture major, but dropped it due to the conflicting demands on his time.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:24 am

up7587 wrote:I recall that recent UO QB Justin Roper was an architecture major, but dropped it due to the conflicting demands on his time.
Ha ha, yea, but as I recall his time on the field was not as in-demand as he'd liked, and he transferred to Montana to play out his eligibility for two years. Rolling Eyes

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun Roper10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:00 am

PilotNut wrote:I agree that unless TJ Campbell's clone is available, we should go after a HS player, to keep the scholarship classes as even as possible.
Ha ha, I think we may have gotten our TJ clone as an early Christmas present with the signing of Alec Wintering in November. Not only does Alec look up to TJ as his “big brother” and mentor, from everything I’ve been told, Alec will mature into a very similar body type to that of TJ’s.

Now we just have to hope he can develop the outside shot to match…..
2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun Tj10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:34 pm

Next year’s team, that will include Alec and at least one other new face, will have to adjust to the 10 team WCC that will eliminate Christmas Break non-league games and will dictate a December start to WCC play.

From AD Scott Leykem:
Scheduling basketball non-conference games will be a bigger challenge in 2013-14 with the 10-team WCC starting before the New Year.

Picking up two additional Conference games is a benefit in scheduling landscape, but lose a prime non-conf. week between 12/25 and 1/1.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:42 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Next year’s team, that will include Alec and at least one other new face, will have to adjust to the 10 team WCC that will eliminate Christmas Break non-league games and will dictate a December start to WCC play.

From AD Scott Leykem:
Scheduling basketball non-conference games will be a bigger challenge in 2013-14 with the 10-team WCC starting before the New Year.

Picking up two additional Conference games is a benefit in scheduling landscape, but lose a prime non-conf. week between 12/25 and 1/1.

If that means we dont have to schedule a UTPA or a Portland Bible, I am all for it. The other added bonus is even travel partners, UP an GU again. No more single game flights to play in California as the Pilots will do against LMU next week.

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:06 am

Hate to see home conference games when the students are not on campus. Oh well.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next