Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Texas 2nd Round Game

+22
A_Fan
pms275
eProf
Poopdeck Pappy
Stonehouse
skywaker9
WPS_Movement
FANatic
ohhh_yeah
purple haze
decrink
'78 Alum
fan from afar
PilotDrummer
Harry Redknapp
aleppiek
DaTruRochin
UPSoccerFanatic
PurplePrideTrumpet
Geezaldinho
SoreKnees
Auto Pilot
26 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Texas 2nd Round Game - Page 3 Empty Re: Texas 2nd Round Game

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:00 pm

No. 9 Danielle Foxhoven, F, Fr.
On what by the difference in the second half
“At half time, G (Garrett Smith) drew a soccer field on the board with a big ‘x’ in our half
of the field and labeled it a ‘no play zone’. So to keep the ball in their half and to finally
break through it took some pressure off.”

Whaaaa? players who listen to the coach? Shocked
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:02 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
“At half time, G (Garrett Smith) drew a soccer field on the board with a big ‘x’ in our half
of the field and labeled it a ‘no play zone’. So to keep the ball in their half and to finally

We apparently recruit drones... DAMN good drones (Insert fancy assimilation smiley Geez used)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:11 pm

Auto Pilot wrote:That is flawed logic. Since when does a referee's mistake give a coach license to attack, threaten, intimidate or fling dung at a referee. Even if the time clock was truly a fiasco there still is no excuse for the red card behaviour.

Ah, but who cares, he is Texas' colic infant.

This is exactly what I am thinking right now.

No matter; we won't see him for another year (or maybe ever).
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:21 pm

Credit where credit is due. Rapinoe knocked the ball out of bounds thinking (Kreminski?) was hurt, and the ref called the ball Texas' way.

Coach P made sure his player gave the ball back on the throw-in.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:29 pm

Lowered expectations Geez. That is a common curtesy in soccer am I right?
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:37 pm

Well, yeah, it is. and I've seen other coaches and players insist on that conduct even if instructed otherwise by the ref.

But he was down with not much time left. He could have turned around to the water cooler instead, but he didn't.

He's not Satan or anything, just a coach who is having some frustrations. Isn't a Catholic upbringing about forgiveness? Wink
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Poopdeck Pappy Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:39 pm

One interesting matchup in today's game was 5' 2" Charney vs Texas #6 who has to be all of 6' tall. It was fun to watch Charney contest her for 50-50 balls and outmaneuver her with her footwork.
Poopdeck Pappy
Poopdeck Pappy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:43 pm

He's not Satan or anything, just a coach who is having some frustrations

No Satan coaches in one of the other brackets. Smile
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:45 pm

Auto Pilot wrote:
He's not Satan or anything, just a coach who is having some frustrations

No Satan coaches in one of the other brackets. Smile

Must be in the East Twisted Evil We won't see them until the finals
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:47 pm

Poopdeck Pappy wrote:One interesting matchup in today's game was 5' 2" Charney vs Texas #6 who has to be all of 6' tall. It was fun to watch Charney contest her for 50-50 balls and outmaneuver her with her footwork.

According to the respective athletic websites, Charney is 5'3", and Lucy Keith (UT #6) is 6'0". Yes, Charney's footwork is fun to watch.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by pms275 Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:54 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
I'd list all the players who had great games, but there is a post length limit.

Among the usual suspects, one player who really stood out to me today was Megan Sweeney. She had what looked like the game of her career today. Great defense.
pms275
pms275
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:58 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:

I think girls listen better. After coaching boys for many years, I switched over to a girls high school team about 6 years ago. Wow. At our first practice, I stopped what we were doing and issued a few instructions. They actually listened, and, more amazing, did just what I asked. It did not take a second and third, and then fourth stoppage, sometimes followed by something a little firmer. I think it also helps that Garrett does not seem to overwhelm with his instruction. From what I have heard, from a distance, he generally speaks softly so that when he does become a little more intense, it is that much more effective.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:03 pm

I agree that Megan S. had one of her best matches today. Also Kristen Kelly was terrific at midfield where both Jackman and Jacka had struggled for the first 60 minutes. Best work I've seen from her! Has she played midfield for the Pilots before?
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:09 pm

SoreKnees wrote:I agree that Megan S. had one of her best matches today. Also Kristen Kelly was terrific at midfield where both Jackman and Jacka had struggled for the first 60 minutes. Best work I've seen from her! Has she played midfield for the Pilots before?

she has played a little bit outside. But she played quite a bit in the middle of the midfield in the Seattle trip. There was one stint where she and Jackman controlled the middle of the midfield in a straight 4-4-2 style, not he Diamond formation we usually use. I don't know if that was on purpose, but it worked well.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:22 pm

Gotta agree on Megan Sweeney, she had a great game today.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:28 pm

I counted 3 that hit the post. Is that correct? Were they all Rapinoe?
Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:30 pm

I thought the audio said Megan had a clanger off the bar.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:33 pm

Megan hit metal at least twice, by my count. She was laughing about it after the game by the bench.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:51 pm

re petrucelli's red card. after the game an re-watching it on my dvr, comcast announced that the red card was recinded because the contact w/the 4th official was 'inadvertant', that petucelli was simply trying to move the 4th officaial out of the way of a throw in. sounds lame to me. but i didnt see the game live either.

i have never seen kristin kelly play mid before, though i didn't travel to seattle either. she was subperb at the right outside mid spot!! an jtsao was just ridiculous!! she undressed her opponent EVERY time they faced each other! how did she only get honorable mention in the wcc?!! i wouldnt trade her for anyone in the conference!!

anyone have the scouting report on james madison? all i know about the school is that every couple years they get into the ncaa men's basketball tourney an upset a team or two.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by UPWomenSoccerRookie Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:54 pm

The Pilots played with more intensity in the 2nd half than in any game I have witnessed. Almost every field player dominated their mark defensively. Again and again we took the ball from Texas. I don’t mean intercepted a pass or ran down a 50-50 ball, but contested a Texas possession and took the ball away. Garrett’s halftime talk (mentioned in an earlier post) seems to have been very effective.

I liked what I saw from Kristen Kelly. I haven’t seen her on the outside before. She demonstrated a quick touch with the ball, had a defensive presence, and appeared to flow better with the team than Sara or Janelle (see my post for the NAU game).

Did anyone else notice that Janelle was in tears after the game? She was on the field with Sophie & Garrett both of whom appeared to be encouraging her, and then she came over to the stands to talk with (presumably) her parents and still appeared to be upset.

Also, I was quite impressed with #14 Kasey Moore for Texas. She took on everyone, never backed down, blocked numerous shots, and looked like she deserved All American to me.

Last edited by UPWomenSoccerRookie on Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

UPWomenSoccerRookie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:01 pm

I said at the beginning of the playoffs that Sophie and Megan R would have to step up. They have. They are playing very well. Texas has three all Americans - crazy GK, and Moore and Logterman. Moore played center d first half and upfront second. Logterman left defense.

If Stephanie Logterman is all American then Jessica Tsao got robbed by not being so recognized. JT has been UP defensive player of the season for me.

Team played well today. Tone was set by three who rotated at forward: Sophie and Dani and Hallie played great defense and chased everything.

Only dodgy spot was outside mid. Sara did not look right and was replaced by Janelle, who also struggled. Finally Kristen Kelly played there and looked good: but UT was pretty tired by then, so who knows.

I have often been critical of Megan Sweeney so should front up and say that she played very well today. I've never questioned her heart - she goes hard and fights for every ball. I'm worried that she is not fast enough but there is not much to do about that. She was good today.

Kassi and Korie both played well although Korie made a couple of dodgy underhit passes that made life interesting for her team. As to an earlier post and next year's center d partnership, my guess would be that Michelle O would be playing next to Cloee, but that's a way off yet.

Pilots played a lot of great possession play today, especially in second half.

Megan hit a great shot that GK pushed onto bar;had a far post header that hit the post; and I can't recall who else hit the post.

Dani took her goal like the "fix in the box" that she is and was the one taken down for the PK. Sophie put the PK away with calm authority.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:02 pm

I didn't see that about Janelle. My guess is that she's ben waiting for a chance to start, and finally got the opening to stake a claim today and it did not go well.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:03 pm

From what I saw, her game was off today (Janelle) She is down for 1 shot but I think that was about it. Well, she has a week to get it going. We need all the purples in top form for this run.
Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:17 pm

I'll echo the props for Kristen Kelly at outside mid. Her passes and crosses were right on. I would be pleased to see here there again soon, like next weekend. And Texas doesn't get to use the "tired" excuse. They had 22 players introduced at the start -- not sure if all were game-ready; in contrast the Pilots had only 4 field players on the bench.

Kristen will be first off the bench to play on the backline, I expect. Pilot depth across the back 4 for the playoffs is not what it will be next year when there will be at least 7 starters or contenders for playing time: Jessica, Megan S, Kassie, Michelle O, Cloee, Kristen and Ellie

Gotta love Halley when she extended full length for a long cross at the far post, and ended up sprawled by the Texas endline -- valiant try. She is fearless, strong and a serious scoring threat with head or foot -- tons of potential. Late in the 2nd half the experiment with Halley at attacking mid was intriguing. Versus NAU it was Jessica who played there a while.

Altogether a sweet game -- as in Sweet 16. Take that to mean Jessica's number or the Pilots' next round as you see fit.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:26 pm

im with you haze,
i also found it intriging that both jess an halley played center mid in the last two games. but as for now, my money is still on charney. yes, i know she still sometimes holds the ball a little too long, an maybe takes shots she shouldnt, but...she is a freshman! think about it. we all, think i can safely say, loved keelin an jess last year but had some concerns. compared to where they are this year an how well they performed last year? light years an they were very good last year. i think the same will happen for charney. like people are saying with greg oden, be patient!!
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next