Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Texas 2nd Round Game

+22
A_Fan
pms275
eProf
Poopdeck Pappy
Stonehouse
skywaker9
WPS_Movement
FANatic
ohhh_yeah
purple haze
decrink
'78 Alum
fan from afar
PilotDrummer
Harry Redknapp
aleppiek
DaTruRochin
UPSoccerFanatic
PurplePrideTrumpet
Geezaldinho
SoreKnees
Auto Pilot
26 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Texas 2nd Round Game Empty Texas 2nd Round Game

Post by Auto Pilot Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:35 pm

Okay I started this as a consolation prize for not being at the game or beers at the T-Room. First question. What in the heck did Petrocelli do this time?
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Texas 2nd Round Game Empty Re: Texas 2nd Round Game

Post by SoreKnees Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:50 pm

Here's what I saw:

With UT ahead 1-0, the center official, Desi Miller, was stopping the clock pretty much every time the ball went out of play in the last two minutes. Petrocelli got more and more angry (with some justification, since the clock is usually only stopped when the ball goes into the stands or there is a considerable delay). Finally, with about 45 seconds left (and the clock stopped), he went ballistic, including getting rather physical with Ryan Abbott, the 4th official, who was trying to calm him down. Abbott blew the substitution horn to get Desi's attention before the restart (presumably to suggest issuing a misconduct), but was not heard. After the match, the officials met at the center, and after considerable discussion, Desi walked over and sent him off.

The sendoff was, I think, totally appropriate. You simply don't abuse the 4th official under any circumstances. However, he did have a legitimate question about the stoppages.

I wonder if he was in the line at the Chiles Center to buy a ticket for Sunday? His season's over! Smile
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:00 pm

If he keeps that up his job may be over. He makes the distinguished University of Texas look bad. And the trade off for his coaching skills isn't worth the reputation of the university. But hey look at Anson Dorrance.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:22 pm

What probably set Petruccelli off is when Desi had the scoreboard clock changed from 5:15 remaining to 5:45. I don't believe an official is allowed to do that. Though he is responsible for managing the start and stop of play, I don't think he can add time.

and I think he had a point about desi stopping the clock when WSU was making substitutions and putting the ball in play.

That still doesn't justify manhandling the #4.

Petrucelli was already disciplined by the Big12 and Texas was forced to write him a disciplinary letter earlier this year. I don't know what this means will happen next.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:23 pm

Okay, I asked the same question in another thread. Thanks for the answer. But the Timbers Army guy I was with was wondering, like me, why the referee would stop the clock every time the ball was out of play.

I'll also repeat that the Texas goal was a nice strike. One WSU defender tried to dive. Emily Anderson, their forward, just went around the end of the other three and launched one right above the 18 box.

We also suggested to the Longhorns that they might not want to stay to watch the Pilots and instead just celebrate their victory... Wink

add: I'm glad referees are taking action when coaches throw tantrums.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:39 pm

Regarding Petrucelli, here's what I posted on the NAU thread:

"Petrucelli was yelling at the ref every time he made a call Petrucelli didn't like. The ref was stopping the clock at the end while waiting for the ball to be retrieved. The first time, Petrucelli yelled at the ref, and the ref came over to the sideline and essentially told him to shut up. The next time the ref did it, Petrucelli yelled at him again. The sideline ref again told Petrucelli to shut up. Petrucelli continued doing it and the auxiliary ref read him the riot act. Somewhere in there, he got a red card."

I did not see Petrucelli "get physical" with the auxiliary ref, but our friend sitting next to my wife said Petrucelli shoved him. That's an absolute 100% "no, no." Petrucelli knows that and either is so far gone he can't control himself or thinks it will inspire his team or is looking for an excuse for going home with a loss or? Who knows?

I would have been embarrassed and humiliated if I had been a Texas fan.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am

I posted on the NAU thread I'm glad to see a referee deal with a red@ss coach by actually showing a card. Too many times this year I've seen coaches go crying to the referee after the match like they're the next Alex Ferguson.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:06 am

Haha I was waiting for some people over by Chlies after the game and the UT coaching staff walked by... Let's just say they had some very grim looking faces walking out.... And I'm pretty sure it wasn't because of the hideous orange sideline jackets they had to wear...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:39 am

I think some sort of "Putrucelli got angry" chant may be fun on Sunday by the villains
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:56 am

What an ass! His team has just won a close playoff game on the road, but now the story is about him and not them. UT should fire him.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:58 am

Too many sillables (for Villa). How about "Where's your head coach?" or something similar.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:13 am

Or, Where's your head, coach?
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:29 am

Nice, fan!

(Wow that was challenging... I had to determine where to put the comma so as to not sound like I was complimenting your avatar but rather your post)

And BTW drummer, nice to see you and actually know who you are at the game last night.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:35 am

Ditto. We've seen each other all season and not known who was who. Wonder how many other people around here are like that. I think I know who 7 people are in person.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:36 am

I know who UPSF is, and met FANatic last night, I think.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:39 am

Coach got angry

Coach will be angry

I think Petrucelli deserves some fun poked at him.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:43 am

Doesn't the card mean Petrucelli has to miss the game?
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:44 am

With respect to putting time back on the clock: I don't know the details of the college rule, but in high school (where the stadium clock is also "official"), the referee can add time if the clock should have been stopped but wasn't, either because the referee forgot to signal the stoppage or because the timer didn't stop when he did. I strongly suspect that the NCAA rule is similar.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by '78 Alum Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:46 am

Petrucelli didn't get mad. He has no idea why he got the red card. See below from Austin paper:

Texas advances in NCAA but coach gets the boot
After Longhorns win 1-0, baffled Petrucelli receives red card.

By B. SCOTT ANDERSON

SPECIAL THE AMERICAN-STATESMAN

Saturday, November 15, 2008

PORTLAND, Ore. — If the Texas Longhorns are going to make it to the third round of the NCAA women's soccer tournament, they'll have done it without head coach Chris Petrucelli.

The No. 19 Longhorns used a goal by junior Emily Anderson in the 52nd minute to grab a 1-0 win against No. 24 Washington State on Friday, but it was what happened after the first-round game that caught many by surprise, especially Petrucelli.

As both teams began walking back toward their respective benches at Merlo Field, the head referee issued Petrucelli a red card. Petrucelli appeared upset after the referee continually stopped the clock in the final moments, and he had a brief exchange with the fourth referee (the referee who signals the head referee for substitutions). After the game concluded, Petrucelli was issued the red card.

Afterward, he said he still was unsure of his error.

"When you find out, let me know," he said. "I'll be honest with you. I don't really understand what went on. The fourth official became very animated."

Petrucelli will not be on the sidelines for his team's second-round game Sunday, when Texas (13-3-4) plays the Portland-Northern Arizona winner.

"I'll have the ability to impact what they do going into the game, but when the whistle blows, it's all theirs," Petrucelli said. "They don't need me. I can sit in the stands any game."

Senior goalkeeper Dianna Pfenninger, who had three saves in the win, said the Longhorns will have to focus even more now.

"I think our team has enough maturity to know what he expects from us, whether he's right on the sidelines or not," she said. "That just means that the rest of our coaching staff and the rest of our team needs to step it up that much more so that we make it through the second round and that this isn't our last weekend.

"I'm really confident that the leadership of this team will prevail."

Petrucelli's red card overshadowed a game Texas dominated both offensively and defensively in the second half.

After the Longhorns struggled to manage just four shots in the first half, they doubled that number in the first 10 minutes of the second half . Meanwhile, Washington State, which was given three yellow cards in the second half, ended the game with six shots, two of which came in the closing minutes .

"But in the end, the difference in the game is an individual effort by Emily that was outstanding at a huge moment in the game, a huge moment in her season and a huge moment in her career," Petrucelli said. "She scored a great goal."

'78 Alum
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:59 am

"Who me???" That's just plain silly! He could only get away with that to the home-town paper where none of the readers had seen the match. I wonder if the TV crew for the second game had any of this on tape and would share it with the Austin media. (Not that the Texas media care about any ball without points and laces.)
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:03 am

HAAAAAAHAHAHAHAH!

What a rat. Or is he saying he does that every time, so he doesn't know why he got punished now?

Sure he doesn't know.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:31 pm

'78 Alum wrote:Petrucelli didn't get mad. He has no idea why he got the red card. See below from Austin paper:

As both teams began walking back toward their respective benches at Merlo Field, the head referee issued Petrucelli a red card. Petrucelli appeared upset after the referee continually stopped the clock in the final moments, and he had a brief exchange with the fourth referee (the referee who signals the head referee for substitutions). After the game concluded, Petrucelli was issued the red card.

Afterward, he said he still was unsure of his error.

"When you find out, let me know," he said. "I'll be honest with you. I don't really understand what went on. The fourth official became very animated."

Petrucelli will not be on the sidelines for his team's second-round game Sunday, when Texas (13-3-4) plays the Portland-Northern Arizona winner.

"I'll have the ability to impact what they do going into the game, but when the whistle blows, it's all theirs," Petrucelli said. "They don't need me. I can sit in the stands any game."

Um... Chris, Here's the explanation you asked for....

The animation the #4 showed was from you shaking him so he looked like a bobble head doll.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by decrink Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:10 pm

Petrocelli is a piece of work. He got the red card for what he did during the game, not for his perfect behavior 20 seconds before the red card. Talk about cognitive dissonance. I've never been fond of the college countdown clock. It doesn't really allow the ref the discretion of stoppage time, the natural addition of seconds or minutes for stoppage of play. I don't think I've ever seen a ref do it quite like last night however since it didn't really wasn't TX stalling the game. I only remember him stopping the clock three times though. Were there that many more?
decrink
decrink
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2007-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:10 pm

Anger Management
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:34 pm

Can I get an "amen" for the behavior of UP's unflappable coach Garrett Smith? For him, an emotional outburst is to stand up and sit down again without saying anything. Or, in an extreme case, he might pace 10 feet, or quietly give advice one-on-one to a player at the sideline. Smith knows the game belongs to the players and keeps it that way. For someone with so much at stake every game, he shows the placid calm of a Buddha statue.

Dump the micromanagers shouting instructions at players, dump the yellers who equate volume with instruction, dump the bark-till-they-spit drill sergeants -- soccer doesn't need them. At least, UP soccer doesn't need them.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next