Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Red & Black

+11
mattywizz
MesaPilot1
PurplePrideTrumpet
Rochin54
DTLegend
Geezaldinho
aleppiek
SciFi
Stonehouse
DaTruRochin
FANatic
15 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The New Red & Black - Page 3 Empty Re: The New Red & Black

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:27 pm

It's the first time I've ever heard "awesome, babe, awesome." in spanish

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11823
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:28 pm

Haha just trying to bring Pilot Nation a little bilingual flavor... Bow
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:49 pm

Dwight Jaynes weighs in on the Rudy and Greg hype.
From the captains deck
Is he being positive or negative?

Discuss.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:47 am

I'm not a big Jaynes fan, Geez. But I thought this particular article was excellent. Not positive or negative. Just very well written.

There is way too much hype right now for this Blazer's team. No one knows how things will go, and if the usual injuries happen to the central figures, another up and down wacky season ahead.

But personally, all I care about right now is one player: Greg Oden. We have a lot of other very talented and intriguing players on our roster. But my focus, for the most part will be on Greg.

He must be recovered from his knee injury. That's the key. If he is, then we've got a story to watch. Greg Oden dwarfs every player on this team for me from the start of training camp until later in November or early December.

Sure I'm interested in Rudy, Bayless, and all the returning Blazers and how much they have improved, (or not).

G.O. is my focus, starting next Tuesday, September 30th, first day of training camp two-a-days.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

The New Red & Black - Page 3 Empty Exhibition Opener '08-'09

Post by FANatic Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:28 am

First exhibition game tonight at the Rose Garden against Sacramento, (10/7/2008).

Starting point guard Steve Blake's got a hammy, so no one knows how long he will be out. Coach says Sergio will start at PG, backed up by physical rookie Jerryd Bayless. Roy at SG, backed up by Rudy. Martell at SF, backed up by Travis. Aldridge at PF, back by Ike Diogu, with Channing injured, (but apparently ready soon). And the 'Monster' at Center, backed up by Joel.

I don't follow ex. games too closely 'cause it's mostly the team getting used to regular games again, and the coach experimenting. And I do not care about wins and losses until the regular season begins. Basketball
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by SciFi Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:37 am

Yeah, but it will be interesting to see how Oden stacks up against another team. . .

-SciFi

The New Red & Black - Page 3 Header10
SciFi
SciFi
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 313

http://pilotfans.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:57 pm

OK Oden is a curious commodity, but I'm not expecting a ROY type season (It would be nice, but I'm being realistic) My biggest concern is the big time Question at the PG position.... Can Bayless become a playmaker?? Or is scoring going to be his only forte... What the hell is Sergio's purpose? and Rudy looked good against NBA calibur competition in the Olympics, but does he have the defensive prowess for an 82+ game season??

I see mental fortitude being one of the key questions of this team. That said I expect LaMarcus to have a HUGE year, he slides to his natural position and with that other big guy drawing hype and attention, should be able to slide in for a potentially breakthrough all star season. I think the key is that the players keep from drinking the hyper expectation koolaid everyone seems to be mixing for them and focuses on playing solid team basketball.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

The New Red & Black - Page 3 Empty 13 days to go for GO!

Post by FANatic Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:28 am

Nice to have starting PG Steve Blake back practicing this week as well as back up PF Channing Frye.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all the regulars look like they're going to be healthy for the start of the regular season, except starting SF Martell Webster. Interestingly, Coach Mac has been using Nicolas Batum at SF recently with the first team. Word is he has looked surprisingly good.

Travis and Rudy will also be given a shot at that starting SF spot with Martell out. However, I really think deep down Coach wants to keep Travis and Rudy with the second unit along with Sergio, Frye and Joel. That is a very explosive unit, and should be able to wear down the opposing team's 2nd unit. (That's the theory, anyway.)

I am really looking forward to GO's regular season debut on national TV Oct. 28th against, who else, those fabulous, wonderful Lakers. (Got a puke bag I could borrow?) pale
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:32 am

Haha... FANatic, I'm sure fans of the SCU women's soccer time might have one you can borrow....

I think the Batum playing with the first team was a good chance to see what the kid can do. Martell was hurt, Roy, Aldridge and Rudy were sitting. Why not let the kid get some NBA run?? I think he will still spend a good chunk of the season in Idaho playing NBDL ball getting lots of on court time, improving his strength and further adjusting to the NBA style game. That said I think he proved a lot of people wrong who were questioning his pick. (me too, I was kind of excited about the concept of Darrell "I never took one test since middle school and got caught with women and weed at a Rookie Symposium" Arthur), but after this once again I have further reason to never question Pritch.

The SF injury leaves some interesting quandries.... We could go HUGE and stick Frye at the 3 to creat mismatches at times, roll Roy/rudy over, and of course the Trout... I love how versatile this roster is.

Also Rudy... his 6 steal game is so encouraging, and while I appreciate the concept of going for swipes on steals.... (Just refer to the video of Kobe going for the steal, bad things can happen to you.) I would prefer he lay back, play solid stay-in-front defense and learn to read the passing lanes a la Nate/G. Payton back in the day. Anyway I'm ready for this pre-season crap to be done so we can start playing real basketball, be done with "tinkering" and seeing how Nate chooses to use his enviably deep bench...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:45 am

So I already posted the link under Men's B-ball because of Eric Spolestra's accolades but...

Oden is up for ROY and a pre-season favorite, although I'm glad the analysts are already saying much of his effect is going to be outside the box score, unlike say a Michael Beasley who is going to put up LOTS of big points and whatong.

Nate for coach of the year.... I find this one interesting. While I love Nate, have ever since he was a player, I am not sure if he is going to be the guy to take this team to a championship. I think he's good at getting the most out of young guys and instilling defense, but his in game coaching is less than exemplary and I question his pressure situation play calling and game management so key to the post season. Maybe it's just me.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:11 am

Roch - I tend to agree with your assessment of Nate.

I can't say for sure, since we've had lower level teams thus far in his tenure, but as we become contenders he's going to have to show some flexibility and just let his horses go a little bit, or in a few years Pritch may be looking for "his" coach.

No offense to Nate, who I like as a coach, but KP didn't hire him. Can you imagine the coach that KP would probably bring in? (I have complete confidence in the man with the Midas Touch: KP would hire someone who thinks like he does. Interesting to ponder, eh?)
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:25 pm

First off..... DARIUS IS WAIVED!!! YAY!!! Now nobody needs to sign him and we can keep his ludicrous salary off the books. Hopefully he forgets about playing and goes back to his budding acting career. I mean he was beautiful in Van Wilder and The Perfect Score....

I think he would probably want a more versatile coach as far as playing abilities. I mean the Blazers have been AWFUL in the fastbreak, but with the personel they have that should be NO excuse what so ever, I mean the only guys on the squad who can't run are Joel and Raef.... And to be honestly Blake doesn't really run the break too well either.

To be honestly I don't think KP is done yet... I see another PG in our future... By the end of the year. There I said it. And it won't be Sergio or Blake leaving. Just saying.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:25 am

Roch - there seems to be an obsession with PG's. Not just the fans, but KP is always drafting PG's it seems. (Taurean Green was another one last year that KP drated and Nate liked. They finally waived him.)

Isn't Roy the PG of the future with Rudy at the 2? Can you think of a better guard combination a year or two from now? Also, Sergio is starting to impress.

Unless we can get Steve Nash or someone like him, (and maybe we will this off-season with all the cash we should have under the cap. I know - Nash is too old.)

I think we might target Deron Williams in the off-season if he hasn't signed a new contract with his current team. And I think we had our eyes on Chris Paul before he re-signed in the past off-season with his team.

The other possibility for the big cash is a small forward. But he'd have to be a real superstar. And then we'd probably trade Martell.

What do ya think about all this? Anybody? Basketball
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:39 am

Yeah there is an obsession with PGs because like C it is a postion that is very limited talent wise. I mean sure height has something to do with the lack of C, but honestly how many elite PGs are there? Maybe 6-7?? And how many elite swingmen?? 15-18?? It is a very difficult position to nail down.

Yes Brandon CAN play the PG position and likely will in crunch time, however it is a VERY exhausting postion and having to deal with guarding smaller, quicker players the whole game on D could potentially take away from Roy's effectiveness on the offensive end. I do thing a big time pure PG is definitely on their way in. I would say we have Bayless, but he really has yet to show what it takes to be a pure PG. He is more off a shoot first player, which reallyl isn't THAT helpful on a roster full of offensive weapons.

I really don't think Martell is going anywhere if he shows. I think he has way too much potential on both ends of the court, it's basically his to lose. I love Outlaw, but he just doesn't have that killer instinct and seems to almost have to be goaded into intense situations. A choice between those two is imminent. I'm putting my money on Martell.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:05 pm

This one's for you FANatic...

http://www.dwightjaynes.com/the-clippers-put-a-bounty-on-greg-oden

AND one more for good measure

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jack_mccallum/10/22/greg.oden/index.html
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:06 pm

Thanks, Roch. A couple good articles.

Watching GO this season is going to be very interesting. Cool
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:12 am

Exhibition season is wrapped. 15 player roster set. (The 14 guaranteed contracts, and the surprise of fall camp, Shavlik Randolph, a 6'10" PF, nailed down the 15th roster spot and a non-guaranteed contract.)

Shavlik has NBA experience and played extremely well in the pre-season. He gives the Blazers more depth up front. And as the saying goes, you can't have too may quality bigs, and apparently this guy is not a stiff.

Greg Oden's grand premiere will be next Tuesday, 10/28/2008, at 7:30pm on TNT national television.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:58 pm

truehoop's Henry Adams has what I think is the best article so far about the expectations for the team this year. Well worth the read.

The Oregon Trail of Expectations
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:34 pm

Thanks Geez. Henry Abbott is always a good read.

So tomorrow night it all begins. A win against the Lakers in LA on national TV would be nice, but it wouldn't surprise me if we got blown out by 20.

Oh - I forgot about Brandon in the 4th quarter. If we lose by 10, I wouldn't be surprised.

And what will GO do. You just know he will have the jitters. And probably won't sleep much tonight. But some time tomorrow night, perhaps Kobe will be driving the lane and have his shot swatted back in his face. (Time out Lakers: Got to clean up the blood).The New Red & Black - Page 3 Battle-6
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:15 pm

OK GAME DAY!!! Things I'm looking forward to:

~ Who the hell guards Kobe?? Martell is ideal, he has the speed and intensity to match up with Kobe. Roy can do it, but I'd rather he save his energy for offense. BatOOOOm as the starter is the guy I would pick to do it, he has the length and athleticism and that whole unknown factor... If it doesn't work out platoon everyone else. Also Rudy vs. Kobe could be interesting ever since the gold medal game where rudy lit up Kobe for 22...

~ Oden vs. Bynum A HUGE matchup, I would argue two of the best young true Cs not named Howard.

~ LaMarcus vs. Odom they HATE each other, if Odom gets matched up with him, look for sparks. These teams already have had bad blood the last few years, look for this to continue esp in this matchup.

~ The White Team: I am looking forward to this highlight reel 2nd unit, it's so fun that the Blazers can put their bench on the floor and field a PHX suns hybrid squad circa 3 years ago... And good luck with defenses matching up with that.

~ THe Demopolis Temple Zone - It will be interesting how teams prepare for the switching zone the Blazers like to bust out in the second half. It caught the lakers by surprise several times last year, lets hope we can use it well this year.

BEAT LA!!!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:28 pm

anyone going? I'm happy I get to watch on national tv...oh wait, it starts at 10:30 my time Crying or Very sad
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:51 pm

Adam gets to go..... In a suite, but it's in LA sooooo....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:58 pm

riiigghhhtt....I truly am an out of towner now... Very Happy
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:02 pm

THURSDAY!
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SciFi Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:35 pm

*bump*

Can't let this thread slip into obscurity. The Blazers beat Miami 104-96 last night in Miami. They improve to 5-3.

-SciFi

The New Red & Black - Page 3 Header10
SciFi
SciFi
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 313

http://pilotfans.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next