Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Red & Black

+11
mattywizz
MesaPilot1
PurplePrideTrumpet
Rochin54
DTLegend
Geezaldinho
aleppiek
SciFi
Stonehouse
DaTruRochin
FANatic
15 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The New Red & Black - Page 2 Empty Re: The New Red & Black

Post by aleppiek Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:46 am

Being a Finn myself, I hope that KP either signs Koponen, or trades his rights to allow the kid to sign an NBA contract, even if it is for a future heavily protected first. The kid has really worked hard to get here, and deserves a roster spot. For the first time I am in the let Sergio go camp, or cut someone else loose, I dunno.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:29 pm

Boy, I think we've gotten ourselves a real offensve threat in Bayless. I believe he's going to be in the playing rotation come November. This kid is very aggressive, fearless and has an obvious natural ability to score points in bundles.

Remember, even with the progress we've made in the last two years, we've still been a relatively low scoring team. No doubts with me that Jerryd is going to score a few here and there for the Blazers this upcoming season. Add Rudy's proven scoring and aggressiveness and it really could have a dramatic impact on how other teams prepare defensively for us.

We have quite the quality depth, don't we? Twisted Evil
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:32 pm

FANatic wrote:Boy, I think we've gotten ourselves a real offensve threat in Bayless. I believe he's going to be in the playing rotation come November. This kid is very aggressive, fearless and has an obvious natural ability to score points in bundles.

Remember, even with the progress we've made in the last two years, we've still been a relatively low scoring team. No doubts with me that Jerryd is going to score a few here and there for the Blazers this upcoming season. Add Rudy's proven scoring and aggressiveness and it really could have a dramatic impact on how other teams prepare defensively for us.

We have quite the quality depth, don't we? Twisted Evil

Hate to burst the bubble..

One thing I haven't seen yet is that any of these guys can play defense, Don't they do that in summer ball?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:04 pm

Geezer - good point! I don't think defense is much of a priority right now, however.

But the Blazers will eventually need "lock-down" team "D" if they hope to make a title run in the next few years. Having the "Praying Mantis" in the middle is a great place to begin building, though.

But we do need to score about 10-15 more points than we have been. I'm most concerned with offense for the regular team, geez, because I believe in the last two years our players have begun to show the discipline, hard work and character of a good, solid defensive team.

Defense - as they say - wins championships! Very Happy
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:31 pm

I am still not sold on Bayless, I see that when he is the primary option he can score like crazy, but how will he do when he is the 3rd option or so? He seemed a bit selfish with the ball during summer league, and I don't blame him. But to me summer league is a poor representation of NBA success, heck Von Wafer dropped 40 last year with Denver in summer league.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:55 pm

aleppiek wrote:I am still not sold on Bayless, I see that when he is the primary option he can score like crazy, but how will he do when he is the 3rd option or so? He seemed a bit selfish with the ball during summer league, and I don't blame him. But to me summer league is a poor representation of NBA success, heck Von Wafer dropped 40 last year with Denver in summer league.

Yeah,
As I said before, none of those guys showed they could play D. That's crucial in the regular season.

also, Bayless got himself so beat up on those drives he didn't play the last game. Makes you wonder if he'd make it through a season.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:30 pm

Great point, not to mention he was rewarded for the contact during summer league. He won't get nearly as many calls during the regular season, I would be willing to bet you could cut his free throw attempts in half with NBA officiating.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:47 pm

I hear you all, and you're making good points on Bayless.

BUT... I think it's safe to say that he has proven himself to have NBA skills. His quickness on the dribble and his ability to penetrate will translate to the NBA. Will he get as many calls? Of course not. But he's not Steve Blake 2.0 or whatever.

I think more than anything else Bayless has proven that he has great athleticism and quickness for his size (6'3", 200 lbs) and has the ability to shoot and penetrate. He's not a stiff or a project... this is a guy with serious potential.

Now will that translate to the NBA right away? Maybe, maybe not. But do I expect him to be a scoring threat and have an important role for the team his rookie season and into the future. Absolutely.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:57 pm

also consider that in the summer league, bayless was asked to be the go to guy, and during the season, he won't need to be that guy all the time. Another interesting question i have is whether he will command the point for the second team, there's been talk about Roy handling the ball and bayless guarding the other teams point guard, but if bayless fails to get in with the first team what will his role be?

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:16 am

From Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated: SI - Inside The NBA

Chris offers thoughts on his five man 2008 All-Summer League team. I give you his number one pick:

Chris Mannix of SI writes:

1. Jerryd Bayless is the real deal

I know, I know -- summer league statistics need to be taken with an entire box of salt. I'm still smarting over Marco Belinelli following a 22.8-points-per-game performance in the 2007 summer league with a 2.9-point regular season with the Warriors. But by all accounts, Bayless, the dynamic Trail Blazers guard, is legit.

Showing uncanny explosiveness, Bayless averaged 27.7 points in four games, knocking down an absurd 44 out of 55 free throws on his way to winning the award for the league's top rookie handily.

"He's got a lot of talent," an Eastern Conference personnel executive said. "He plays a little for himself, which makes me wonder whether he can be a true point guard. But he is going to be a very good player."

Bayless' ability to pick up the point guard position will be worth watching. "He's going to have to work on [playing point guard] a little bit," Blazers coach Nate McMillan said. "He can score; that's his mentality. But we need him to do more. He has to be able to set [the offense] up and create opportunities."

The Blazers will show patience with Bayless. McMillan said incumbent Steve Blake will be the opening-night starter and Bayless will have to battle for minutes with third-year playmaker Sergio Rodriguez and Rudy Fernandez, a 6-foot-6 combo guard who is coming over from Europe after spending the last seven seasons playing in the elite Spanish ACB League.

Bayless, however, may have something to say about that.

"I think it's [an open competition]," Bayless said. "Obviously, we're teammates and you have to keep a positive attitude, but when we're out on the court everyone is going to compete."

McMillan said the door is wide open for Bayless to play a significant role this season. The Blazers' coach can envision a Bayless-Blake backcourt -- "We could play some zone there," McMillan suggested -- and said that if Bayless can fill it up like he did at Arizona (19.7 points as a freshman), he has no problem leaving him on the floor.

"Even though we want him to play point guard, we need him to score," McMillan said. "Jerryd will have to work for minutes, but if he can help us win, he'll play. That's just the way I coach."

One other important quote from this OregonLive.com article: "Fearless" Rookie

"That's what we said in our evaluations -- this kid has a chance to be fearless," Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard said. "He's proven that he's willing to get hit five times and get up five times. I think he has a chance to get out there and play and really compete this season."

That means that both Coach Mac and GM wizard KP believe Bayless has a chance to not only play, but have an impact his rookie season. These are the types of quotes I look for after Summer League. Because Summer League is a bit of an enigma. On one hand, with weak competition, it seems of little value. But if you read between the lines of what the "experts" say, and EVERY team has reps there, you can get an idea which players impressed and which players did not.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:39 am

OK, but the discussion about he and Blake playing zone tells me that they know his defensive skills are unknown.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:49 am

Absolutely agreed, geez. We simply don't know yet. The Blazer's brass apparently like his aggresiveness, attitude and hard work. But we still simply must wait and see on that one! Very Happy

(And it's very important for Jerryd to develop into a strong defneder, or I guarantee Nate will find a nice, cozy, warm spot on the bench for him. He simply doesn't play guys who don't at the very least, try very hard to excel at the "D" end of the court. He's also very hesitant to play mistake-prone rookies. And Bayless did have his fair share of turnovers at Summer League.)

Defense, I learned personally playing pick-up ball years, and I do mean
years ago, is something most all athletes can play. It's all heart, hard work, blood-sweat-tears, determination and tenacity.

(I've always thought it a little crazy that local high school or college team players seemed to play better defense than some very rich NBA players.)

My bottom line is, Bayless showed stronger potential at Summer League than I thout he would. (Evidence his league MVP and invite to a very select group of ballers that are practicing this week against the Men's Oympic National Team. I think guarding Chris Paul or Kobe will be quite the challenge for Mr. Bayless. He'll no doubt get schooled big-time, but the experience is priceless.)

NO ROOKIE, even the likes of Greg Oden, is a guaranteed success in the NBA, offensively or defensively. But high school ball, college, mini-camps, summer leagues, are all showcases for talent evaluators to make decisions about their future rosters. (And a little luck doesn't hurt either.)
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:38 am

For those of you interested, here are recordings of interviews last night on Trail Blazers Courtside with Mike Barrett on FM 95.5 - "The Game".

Courtside 7-24-08

There are four recordings of four interviews. The interviewees: (1) Greg Oden. (Talking about his rehab, among other things.)

(2) Nate McMillan. (Plans for Oden include 3 on 3's in August, when he returns to Tualatin in a few weeks. And 5 on 5's in September. He also talks about the USA Men's Oympic Basketball Team he is helping coach, and the USA Select Team that practiced against them this week. That team includes Blazer's Aldridge and Bayless. Both Nate and Blazers college scouting director Chad Buchanan, who watched those practices this past week, were very incouraged by Bayless's fearlessness against Jason Kidd, Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Kobe Bryant. If you're not not backing down from the world's greatest guards, that's a pretty good sign for a rookie!)

(3) Blazers Shooting Coach John Townsend. (Discussing his 16 day trip to Spain to work with Sergio's shooting. Very positive news for "Spanish Chocolate", or whatever they call him!)

(4) As mentioned above, Blazers College Scouting Director Chad Buchanan. (Summer League and various tidbits.)

Good stuff, if you are interested. Coach wants all players to report for informal workouts by August 25th. Only one month from now! Twisted Evil
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:25 am

A lot of the players have stayed in town already working out... I know Brandon is back and forth between the PDX and Seattle, Channing Frye lives here full time, Outlaw is cutting on the fishing time but seriously working on his game, Martell is definitely in town (I have some friends who live right across from him and his array of vehicles always parked outside), lamarcus is back and forth and of course greg is here working his tail off... That said, Nate has no trouble getting the guys in for informal workouts, most come in on their own without prodding.

For a little fun...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns5_NtYvS2I

And to get us all pumped up (sorry for stealing it Stoney):
2007-2008 Blazer Highlights
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:37 pm

I got the chills - great highlights video.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:01 am

Another reasons to love the Blazers... Guys like Channing Frye....

http://www.channingfrye.com/blog/
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:18 pm

No worries, DaTruRochin... that video is freaking amazing and if that doesn't get you pumped up for next season, nothing will.

And Channing's blog is so awesome... he is so perfect for Portland and I hope that he stays around here for a while. I view him as the guy who can bridge the gap between the Blazers and Portland's more alternative scene that isn't normally into sports. He's already been features in the Willamette Week and Mercury, and next week he's a judge at the Portland Flugtag... it's just really cool that he is embracing Portland so much. Gotta love that guy.

And of course you've gotta love Brandon Roy too. Did you see Jason Quick's big series on him? Pretty great stuff:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/07/rip_city_revival.html

Impossible not to like and root for a guy like that.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:58 pm

I was wondering what J.Quick was doing this summer. Sleep Seems his understudy, Joe Freeman, has been a workhorse! Basketball

Now I know - Jason has written a ten chapter book on Roy. (Okay - not quite a book.) And I believe He, (oops! Quick's "He" should be spelled "he"; Okay to call Roy "He"), will be writing stories about the Blazers' new quest for a title all season long. Shocked

Should be interesting if you like to read. (I don't read much anymore. Taking an hour to read one page is just not something I'm willing to put up with! study = NO! Sleep = MOST DEFINITELY!) But would you guys quit calling me all the time? It always wakes me up just as I'm starting to get into a nice, warm dream... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

The New Red & Black - Page 2 Empty This makes me nervous

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:50 pm

the Blazer's website reports that Brandon Roy will undergo knee surgery.

report here

It's supposed to be minor.

No surgery is minor.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:44 am

Agreed geezer. No surgery is minor.

But he has a torn meniscus in the knee, and that cartilage is much, much less of a concern than the "big, bad, ACL tear".

For instance, Megan Sweeney had a meniscus tear last season. Later in the season, she was scrimmaging full-bore. She could have played but they held her out because they really didn't need her. Why burn a year of elegibility when you don't have to? So she reshirted.

On the other hand, when the Rapinoes tore their ACL's, they were done. Period. Both, I believe, have had multiple surgeries. Although the recovery rate is much better in this era, and usually takes a year, I remember the old days when a torn ACL very often meant the end of your career. (It's part physical, and part mental.)

What first struck me, geez, is that it's Brandon who's hurt. He has shown to be somewhat injury-prone early here in his career and that's what really bothers me. He is our franchise player. (Unless G.O. turns out to be 'The Incredible Hulk', and it sounds like he has shown glimpses of Shaq-like dominance and power.)

Although all surgeries have risks, the meniscus tear is usually not a long term recovery and recurring problem.

Don't get me wrong, I was not happy to see this morning that Brandon was going into surgery. But truly, if all things go well, he should be in the starting line-up October 28th in the season-opener at the Lakers.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:30 am

It's September and most of the Blazers are working out together informally at the Tualatin practice facility. It's a great sign that for the second straight year, guys have shown up early.

G. Oden is now scrimmaging 5x5 every other day. They say he will be ready to start training camp on time on September 30th. It's not far away. Going to be a VERY interesting fall camp and exhibition season.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:24 pm

That's not all Greg has been doing. This is too funny (might want to turn the sound down, though)! Very Happy

Deadspin video
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:37 pm

Simply put.... Beautiful...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:42 pm

If you are a Blazers fan and really pumped about "Rudy!Rudy!Rudy!", check out OregonLive's collection of stories, photos, videos...it goes on and on and on and on..... Twisted Evil

RUDY! on OregonLive.com
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:43 pm

All I need to think about is this....

Somehow it makes all my troubles melt away...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next