Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UNLV @ Pilots Tuesday 12/4 @ 8PM on ESPNU

+10
VillaGorilla
Pilot60
dholcombe
PurplePrideTrumpet
oh brody
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
ShipstadPilot11
NoPoNeighbor
DoubleDipper
14 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

UNLV @ Pilots Tuesday 12/4 @ 8PM on ESPNU - Page 3 Empty Re: UNLV @ Pilots Tuesday 12/4 @ 8PM on ESPNU

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:24 am

PurpleGeezer wrote:Just saw the O's take on the game.

Grant High star Mike Moser wore jeans, a sweater and a tie and sat for his homecoming game as he watched his UNLV team play somebody.
Yea, saw it early this morning too, but thought I would just leave it alone....it is what it is.

UP got a little boost from its home loss to UNLV last night:

KenPom: 230 to 223
Sagarin: 278 to 270

Now what UP needs is a win!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

UNLV @ Pilots Tuesday 12/4 @ 8PM on ESPNU - Page 3 Empty Re: UNLV @ Pilots Tuesday 12/4 @ 8PM on ESPNU

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:32 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Hmm; I think there's just something basically wrong with getting students to attend a game based upon their hopes of winning free tuition, when in fact they have next to NO chance.

Look, I'm all for promotions, but I'm even more in favor of a sense of fairness and the promotion of fun. I'm old!

Hello PN. I'm new here, but I have been reading for quite a while (as I am sure Stonehouse, Shipstad, and DJ Sherman know...)

I work for Marketing and we actually went out on the court and tried it before the game. It is possible and you are actually only supposed to have 25 seconds. I missed it by that much (holds up thumb and forefinger) as in I took the halfcourt shot right at the end of the time. Granted, I would consider myself more athletic than the student who tried last night.

Just letting you know its possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:33 am

Grant High star Mike Moser wore jeans, a sweater and a tie and sat for his homecoming game as he watched his UNLV team play somebody.
How does Dave Rose do it, coaching BYU and UNLV? Is Dave Rice his top assistant? Rolling Eyes
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:37 am

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:

How does Dave Rose do it, coaching BYU and UNLV? Is Dave Rice his top assistant? Rolling Eyes

And the team they Incidentally played apparently didn't have a coach at all in this contest. And the sock puppet in his place had nothing to say.

Does anybody think this report captured what happened on the court last night?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:50 am

Random thoughts this morning:

Ryan's star was about as bright as any I've seen at UP over the years. Quiet, but outstanding performance, and about as technically correct as I've ever seen. In recent years the three point shooters have received the praise...but they were generally ONLY three point shooters. Ryan did it all and was the leader of the team too.

Tanner?? Looked totally lost and missed by a mile; I can only think he too (Rogers) wasn't feeling well.

Oskars! Still looking like a freshman, but besides his turnovers and reluctance to take the open shot, he was very, very solid; the most improved since the beginning of the season.

Korey! Just plain fun to watch. His mistakes are from his energy and all-out effort, but so are all his positive contributions.....can't ask for more than that. So far, the most improved non-freshman by a long shot.

Jake? Zero minutes, as I recall. He and Ryan are probably the most savvy players on the team.....I guess J. Bailey is still out performing him in practice.

Thomas! Regardless of the numbers, probably his best performance of the year last night. Very, very solid and very under control. Still very European in his technical approach, but now a banger too....what more could you ask!

David! What a warrior he was against UNLV….also his best performance to date. Saw him get into it with Coach Jackson at one point during a timeout, and he was benched briefly….but they just couldn’t keep him out of the game. Thanks to Derrick for spelling David a couple of minutes at a time….David left it all on the floor, as they say. You gotta love his attitude.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:58 am

Oh, I forgot to mention Kevin. Where have you gone Kevin? Turnovers, fouls, wild looking shots...it's what Kevin does, but there was a time all those became positives....not last night.

Kevin seems to be playing at the speed of heat, but the team needs him to slow it down below Mach 3.0 and just play steady ball. Most everyone on the team is on an upward swing....not Kevin. He' a very bright kid, I'm very confident he'll come around.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:59 am

An_Undergrad wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:Hmm; I think there's just something basically wrong with getting students to attend a game based upon their hopes of winning free tuition, when in fact they have next to NO chance.

Look, I'm all for promotions, but I'm even more in favor of a sense of fairness and the promotion of fun. I'm old!

Hello PN. I'm new here, but I have been reading for quite a while (as I am sure Stonehouse, Shipstad, and DJ Sherman know...)

I work for Marketing and we actually went out on the court and tried it before the game. It is possible and you are actually only supposed to have 25 seconds. I missed it by that much (holds up thumb and forefinger) as in I took the halfcourt shot right at the end of the time. Granted, I would consider myself more athletic than the student who tried last night.

I'm stealing this from another PN member's facebook page Embarassed , but we are not the only school that has trouble finding fans that have a chance of making half court shots.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8712240
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:14 am

An_Undergrad wrote:

First of all, welcome....it's nice that our comments can at times provoke those who have only watched to participate.

Second, I'm glad to know it's POSSIBLE. But did you hear the boo/hiss sounds of the fans as the drummer and trumpet players were shooed away from offering any help to a young lady who was obviously in distress and not capable of even catapulting the ball from beyond the free throw line?

Again, great to see a promotion...keep up the good work...we need marketing, but if I'm the marketing person, I'm looking for the OVERALL positive experience from a marketing event. Hey, the whole thing was a baby step in a very positive direction by the marketing staff and athletic department....don't let he obvious ramblings of an old man do any more than enable you to think of bigger and better ways of bringing fans to the Chiles Center.

And hey, I defended the marketing staff on the lead-up to the game when there was criticism of UP getting the word out. Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:17 am

blacksheep wrote:
I'm stealing this from another PN member's facebook page Embarassed , but we are not the only school that has trouble finding fans that have a chance of making half court shots.

Hahaha, well, base on that, our UP young lady should obviously get free tuition to GONZAGA, at least!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by oh brody Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:20 am

And the team they Incidentally played apparently didn't have a coach at all in this contest. And the sock puppet in his place had nothing to say.

Does anybody think this report captured what happened on the court last night?

The O's priorities in order:
-Blazers
-Seahawks
-Ducks
-Beavers
-Apparently the fashion of a former high school player
-blah blah blah
-Rachel Ray's latest cookbook
-blah blah blah
-PILOTS / Vikings (they're often one in the same)

And they wonder why I cancelled my subscription.

I also noticed in ESPN.com's photos section they have several pictures of a player sitting out in street clothes incorrectly captioned as Moser before actually getting it right with several more pictures of the actual Moser sitting out, then a few action photos of UNLV players, and then...wait for it...one photo of Rev and the Pilots bench...wow I guess there actually was an opposing team and game that was played, I was beginning to think it was UNLV fashion show catwalk.

I guess the moral of the story is next time we have to win if we want any press. We gave a great effort and it was a thrilling game for both sides. Its sad our hometown paper and national sports media conglomerate don't see it that way.

I know, I know, sour grapes. I just really wanted the "W" last night. (Where's the crying in my beer emoticon?)
oh brody
oh brody
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:31 am

An_Undergrad wrote:Hello PN. I'm new here, but I have been reading for quite a while (as I am sure Stonehouse, Shipstad, and DJ Sherman know...)

Welcome. Your name is ever so clever. I'm glad you're (publicly) here now.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:24 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
blacksheep wrote:

Hahaha, well, base on that, our UP young lady should obviously get free tuition to GONZAGA, at least!

Adding insult to injury? Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:33 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:
dholcombe wrote:

In regards to the shot clock guy...I sit in the second row. I didn't see what happened this time, but that guy struggles with the equipment sometimes. I have to believe it was human error and not the equipment. I've been wondering why we don't replace him for a while now. Sometimes the guy NEXT TO HIM helps fix it because he can't do it....

I've talked to him about it. Sometimes the switch locks up and he has to use a lot of pressure together the thing to fire for the new clock. And it doesnt give a warning.
When we had the tournament here he had bruises on his hands from struggling with it. I think they have tried new switches, but I guess it's still a problem.

The trailing ref is supposed to look at the shot clock each time down the floor, but like so many other things this crew struggled with, he didn't catch it.

Well it's good to hear that it might be an equipment issue and they're working on it. The guy seems nice enough and I don't like to see nice people get canned when they're doing their best. It seems like you'd be able to fix an equipment issue sooner than we have though, which is why I was doubting it was one at first. Quick, somebody with deep pockets donate some money.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:55 pm

Finally getting a chance to chime on on last night's game. Wow, what an exciting game it was! The most encouraging part was that the Pilots got up off the mat every time UNLV went on a run. Until the last couple of minutes, when they couldn't score for over 3 minutes and ran out of time. But overall it was a gutsy performance. Standout performances by Nicholas and Van der Mars. We need to get Van der Mars more shots -- he's shooting .727 from the field on the season!

Thieleke and Reinfelds also played great ball, but each missed too many easy looks at the rim. The Pilots did an excellent job getting the ball inside the paint and creating high-percentage scoring chances throughout the game... we just missed way too many of those chances. Failure to capitalize on those opportunities, which we worked so hard to create, were the difference in the game -- along with the 21 turnovers.

Kevin Bailey's struggles are frustrating to watch. I'm sure the coaching staff is feeling frustrated, too.

As for the crowd... the student section was impressive and made a big impact on the game -- especially when Rev got them fired up. BUT... the athletic department should really reconfigure the student section seating arrangement. A bunch up students were stuck way up in the upper seats. They should get as many students as possible down close to the court. Perhaps a more horizontal arrangement of the student section, rather than a narrow vertical one.

As for the non-student fans (not counting the UNLV fans)... didn't seem like there were that many more people there than at the last few home games. But for those non-regulars who did turn out, I bet they'll be back after the performance they saw last night.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:03 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:the athletic department should really reconfigure the student section seating arrangement. A bunch up students were stuck way up in the upper seats. They should get as many students as possible down close to the court. Perhaps a more horizontal arrangement of the student section, rather than a narrow vertical one.
I disagree.

I understand your premise but a wider student section isn't what we need. We're lucky to fill the student section more than 10 rows deep as it is! If you double the width of the student section we probably wouldn't have students standing all the way across the front row (some nights we haven't even accomplished that even now). Notice that as soon as everyone realized they weren't going to be chosen for a chance at tuition, the student section dwindled to about 3/4 full. And anyone who can leave last night's game midway through the second half is a lost cause and doesn't deserve to sit near the court (even though they'll never show up again).

Last night was fantastic in terms of student turnout but it was an aberration on par with Gonzaga games - it is the exception, not the rule, and we shouldn't plan future games based on the circumstances of last night.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:10 pm

Watching my recording of the game. Just in the first half there where several easy run-out baskets for UNLV, mostly off of missed layups, because no Pilot got back on D. Hope the guys are working on that before UK. affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:23 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:I understand your premise but a wider student section isn't what we need. We're lucky to fill the student section more than 10 rows deep as it is! If you double the width of the student section we probably wouldn't have students standing all the way across the front row (some nights we haven't even accomplished that even now). Notice that as soon as everyone realized they weren't going to be chosen for a chance at tuition, the student section dwindled to about 3/4 full. And anyone who can leave last night's game midway through the second half is a lost cause and doesn't deserve to sit near the court (even though they'll never show up again).

Last night was fantastic in terms of student turnout but it was an aberration on par with Gonzaga games - it is the exception, not the rule, and we shouldn't plan future games based on the circumstances of last night.
Great point. Maybe something to revisit once there are 500 students showing up and cheering every night!

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:27 pm

Re: the horizontal vs. vertical configuration of the student section...I love the idea, but it's been attempted more than once resulting in failure. At one time, for 15 years, I had four seats in the 5th row next to the student section...we loved it, and it gave us the opportunity to interact with the students and encourage them to get off their butts and make NOISE!

But then one year we were told we had to move because the students would be FILLING both the section they are in now AND the one next to it....so we moved across the arena, were seated with a bunch of miscreants, and watched our former seats remain empty for two years before the experiment was abandoned.

Again, loved the idea, but as the 11 guys from Shipstad pointed out, there were never near enough students to fill the sections except during the Gonzaga game.

Most of the former season ticket holders returned to their seats after the experiment was over.....I would sure hate to see them uprooted (kicked-out) again. Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:33 pm

I think I'm offended by the term miscreant, however accurate it might be...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:40 pm

You're offended? You aren't even in the same section. I'm appalled.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:49 pm

up7587 wrote:You're offended? You aren't even in the same section. I'm appalled.

I was being nice. We didn't actually let DD in our section.

He's lucky to be on the same side of the floor.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:30 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:The Pilots did an excellent job getting the ball inside the paint and creating high-percentage scoring chances throughout the game... we just missed way too many of those chances. Failure to capitalize on those opportunities, which we worked so hard to create, were the difference in the game -- along with the 21 turnovers.

This is how I looked at it. We weren't shooting well at all in the first half (.367), let alone the game, and most of those were FGAs in or near the paint. Against a team of UNLV's caliber you absolutely have to make the most of every offensive trip. Too many empty possessions will catch up to you and kill you.

As for the student section, it's a good idea but look at places that arrange it horizontally like you suggest. Oregon, OSU, Duke, etc--they all put the students in the lower level with a wall in between them and the rest of the seating so when they stand they don't block the view. The Chiles Center is not really set up for that. What I did like was allowing some of the guys into the section next to the dance team to get them close to the court.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:39 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote: What I did like was allowing some of the guys into the section next to the dance team to get them close to the court.
Oh, close to the court? Is that what they were trying to get close to? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:48 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:What I did like was allowing some of the guys into the section next to the dance team to get them close to the court.
Yea, we noted the Schoenfeldt guys were there, but from the perspective of most....they weren't THERE! We couldn't distinctively see or hear them because they were hidden behind the dance team and the backboard.

So yes, it was good they were there, especially as an identifiable group, but they are much more effective as leaders of the crowd in the front rows of the student section...their proper place. Smile
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:58 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:The Pilots did an excellent job getting the ball inside the paint and creating high-percentage scoring chances throughout the game... we just missed way too many of those chances. Failure to capitalize on those opportunities, which we worked so hard to create, were the difference in the game -- along with the 21 turnovers.
This is how I looked at it. We weren't shooting well at all in the first half (.367), let alone the game, and most of those were FGAs in or near the paint. Against a team of UNLV's caliber you absolutely have to make the most of every offensive trip. Too many empty possessions will catch up to you and kill you.

After Thomas dunked with 12:40 remaining, the Pilots had a 3 point lead. UNLV started hitting 3's, and the Pilot possessions went like this:
Ryan stripped dribbling in the key
Korey shot attempt down low swatted away
Ryan missed 3pt attempt, early in shot clock
Oskars bad lob pass stolen
Oskars missed breakaway layup, basically uncontested, David reached in after UNLV rebound
Finally, Ryan made a short jumper in the key to stop the bleeding at 9:54.
Before the Ryan jumper, in 2:45 minutes, the Pilots went from +3 to -9. That was basically the final margin.

I'd say the block on Korey was a great play by UNLV, and there were no breakdowns in offensive effort (I didn't analyze the defense). But way too many technical breakdowns: dribbling in a crowd, bad pass, missed cripple, bad foul. Even with UNLV hitting their 3s, if the Pilots could have converted 3 of those 5 possessions, that's 6 points, and the game would have been in reach when the Pilots put together their final charge. "Capitalize on opportunities." "Make the most of every offensive trip." I'd say that was the key to not getting a win.

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next