Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots vs. BYU Saturday @ 7:30 – TV on ESPNU

+8
Pilot60
Geezaldinho
dholcombe
oh brody
PurplePrideTrumpet
PilotNut
blacksheep
DoubleDipper
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pilots vs. BYU Saturday @ 7:30 – TV on ESPNU  Empty Pilots vs. BYU Saturday @ 7:30 – TV on ESPNU

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:07 pm

VillaGorilla wrote:Well that was quite a punch to the gut.

Onward to BYU.
Miami annihilated #1 Duke a couple of nights ago; if the guy’s legs and psyche are intact….there’s always a chance the Pilots can do the same against BYU.

I watched BYU lose by 20 at GU; if the Pilots can defend, and as many have said, take the pressure off our bigs by hitting from outside…..

BYU will bring their wards, stakes, and bishops, and be ever so nice….let’s just hope the Pilots are rude hosts.

The game will be broadcast live on ESPNU @ 7:30 and delayed on BYUtv @ 10 PST.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11238
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. BYU Saturday @ 7:30 – TV on ESPNU  Empty Re: Pilots vs. BYU Saturday @ 7:30 – TV on ESPNU

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:15 pm

Another good TV night for WCC fans on Saturday:

SCU @ USD on Root TV (taped) @ 3 pm
PU @ SMC CSN @ 3 pm
USF @ GU Root TV @ 5 pm
BYU @ UP ESPNU @ 7:30 pm (taped on BYUtv @ 10pm)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. BYU Saturday @ 7:30 – TV on ESPNU  Empty Re: Pilots vs. BYU Saturday @ 7:30 – TV on ESPNU

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:02 pm

When we last played BYU, 11 months ago in Provo, the Cougars won 76-66. We’re in the Chiles Center now; we can do this!

From UP Athletics:
ABOUT BYU
• The Cougars (15-6, 5-2 WCC) dropped an 83-63 decision at No. 10 Gonzaga on Thursday.
• Leading scorer Tyler Haws, who averages 20.6 ppg, was held to one point on 0-for-9 shooting from the field against the Bulldogs.
• BYU also lost a home heartbreaker to Saint Mary’s last week, 70-69, on a 35-foot buzzer-beater by Matthew Dellevadova.
• The Cougars’ non-conference losses came to Florida State (88-70), at Notre Dame (78-68) and at Baylor (79-64).
• Senior Brandon Davies averages 17.8 points and 7.2 rebounds, while sophomore guard Matt Carlino adds 9.9 points per game.
• Head coach Dave Rose is in his eighth season with the Cougars and posts a 200-60 overall record.
• BYU is coming off of a 26-9 season and advanced to the second round of the 2012 NCAA Tournament. The Cougars were picked to finish second in the WCC Preseason Coaches Poll.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:53 pm

DoubleDipper wrote: we can do this!

It might be the Pliny talking (no, just like Geez, I'm not telling where I found it), but I agree; I'm excited for a big Chiles upset! Cheers!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:05 pm

0-7 lifetime against BYU. No time like the present, eh boys? And on national-ish TV...should be a nice stage for a minor upset.

Let's hope for some early foul trouble from Davies...BYU had difficulty against USF with Davies on the bench saddled with fouls for the majority of the game.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:31 pm

39-29 Cougars at the half... The Pilots are really playing decent, with the exception of 12 turnovers so far. Evil or Very Mad

Take care of the ball! Lets go in the 2nd half!!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:35 pm

PilotNut wrote:39-29 Cougars at the half... The Pilots are really playing decent, with the exception of 12 turnovers so far. Evil or Very Mad

Take care of the ball! Lets go in the 2nd half!!

TOs killed us, like they've been killing us all year. And can we get a big man who isn't afraid of contact and will just go up strong to the basket? I've seen more than enough of that the last couple weeks.

On to the next one I guess.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by oh brody Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:59 pm

Ok couple of thoughts after facing BYU.

Imagine what the BYU fans would be like if they DID drink alcohol and caffeine? (Vodka red bull anyone?)

Also did anyone else notice the BYU shirts that said "Every day is gameday"? ...uhhh what about Sundays?

oh brody
oh brody
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:09 pm

Other than turnovers and FT's, not too shabby of a showing... I agree with PPT about the Centers. Pressley looked good tonight.

Tanner's takedown was unfortunate. He finally provided the spark we have been looking for and promptly lost his cool & made a bonehead move... and will miss the game @SCU, too.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:12 pm

Anybody have video of what started the fight?

Also....Free throws....last game swapping the miss/make rate would have won us the game. This game it would have made it close well into the second half.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:13 pm

Nicholas Records Double-Double, But Pilots Lose to BYU

PORTLAND, Ore. --- Portland junior forward Ryan Nicholas scored 16 points and grabbed 11 rebounds, but the BYU Cougars scored 24 points off of 17 Pilot turnovers to pick up an 85-67 win Saturday night at the Chiles Center. Kevin Bailey added 12 points for the Pilots before fouling out in just 21 minutes of action.

Sophomore guard Matt Carlino scored a game-high 24 points with six assists and four steals to lead the Cougars (16-6, 6-2 WCC). Senior forward Brandon Davies added 20 points and 11 rebounds, while sophomore Tyler Haws chipped in 19 points.

The Pilots (8-14, 1-6) were effective offensively for the second straight game, finishing at 47 percent from the field, but struggled to a 17-for-30 clip at the free throw line. Giveaways were once again problematic as Portland committed 17 and forced 11, leading to a 24-4 disadvantage in points off of turnovers.

BYU shot 52 percent from the field and the 85 points scored were an opponent season-high for the Pilots.

Nicholas got off to a fast start with 11 first half points, but the Pilots trailed 39-29 at the half after committing 11 turnovers in the first period.

Carlino sparked a 10-2 run to open the second half with a pair of three-pointers and the lead would grow to 57-36 on a Haws jumper with 14:53 remaining.

The physical game reached a boiling point shortly thereafter when a scrum for a loose ball near midcourt led to multiple players from both teams entangled well after the whistle had blown. Portland junior Tanner Riley was issued a flagrant foul and ejected for what the officials determined was fighting. He will miss Portland’s next game according to NCAA rules.

Freshman guard Bryce Pressley hit a runner followed by a Nicholas free throw to pull Portland within 13 at 68-55 with 5:47 remaining, but BYU would not let the Pilots any closer down the stretch.

Pressley was solid once again off the bench and finished with six points, three rebounds, four assists and three steals with no turnovers in 27 minutes of action.

The Pilots will look to snap a four-game losing streak with a tough Bay Area road trip next weekend. Portland faces Santa Clara on Thursday at 7 p.m. and then concludes the season series against Saint Mary’s on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. Thursday’s game will be televised on Comcast SportsNet Northwest and Saturday will be featured on ROOT Sports. All Pilot games are available live True Talk 800 AM with a 30-minute pregame show.

Newspaper Box Score
BYU vs Portland
01/26/13 7:30 PM at Portland, Ore. (Chiles Center)
At Portland, Ore. (Chiles Center)
BYU 85, PORTLAND 67

BYU (16-6, 6-2 WCC)
CARLINO, Matt 10-17 2-3 24; DAVIES, Brandon 7-14 6-11 20; HAWS, Tyler 5-14
7-10 19; WINDER, Anson 2-3 2-3 6; SHARP, Josh 3-4 0-0 6; ZYLSTRA, Brock 2-6
0-0 5; CUSICK, Craig 1-1 0-0 3; AUSTIN, Nate 1-1 0-0 2; AMBROSINO, Agustin
0-0 0-0 0. Totals 31-60 17-27 85.

PORTLAND (8-14, 1-6 WCC)
NICHOLAS, Ryan 6-11 2-4 16; BAILEY, Kevin 5-9 2-3 12; VAN DER MARS, Thomas
3-6 1-2 7; REINFELDS, Oskars 1-5 3-7 6; RODGERS, Derrick 2-2 2-2 6;
THIELEKE, Korey 1-4 4-6 6; PRESSLEY, Bryce 3-5 0-0 6; BARKER, Riley 1-5 2-4
4; RILEY, Tanner 1-1 0-0 3; EHLERS, Jake 0-1 1-2 1. Totals 23-49 17-30 67.

BYU........................... 39 46 - 85
Portland...................... 29 38 - 67

3-point goals--BYU 6-12 (HAWS, Tyler 2-4; CARLINO, Matt 2-2; CUSICK, Craig
1-1; ZYLSTRA, Brock 1-4; WINDER, Anson 0-1), Portland 4-12 (NICHOLAS, Ryan
2-3; RILEY, Tanner 1-1; REINFELDS, Oskars 1-3; THIELEKE, Korey 0-2;
PRESSLEY, Bryce 0-1; BARKER, Riley 0-1; BAILEY, Kevin 0-1). Fouled
out--BYU-ZYLSTRA, Brock; AUSTIN, Nate, Portland-BAILEY, Kevin. Rebounds--BYU
30 (DAVIES, Brandon 11), Portland 36 (NICHOLAS, Ryan 11). Assists--BYU 16
(CARLINO, Matt 6), Portland 15 (PRESSLEY, Bryce 4; RODGERS, Derrick 4;
REINFELDS, Oskars 4). Total fouls--BYU 24, Portland 19. Technical
fouls--BYU-None, Portland-RILEY, Tanner. A-3078
POR No. 3 Tanner Riley Ejected

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:21 pm

PilotNut wrote:Other than turnovers and FT's, not too bad of a showing... I agree with PPT about the Centers. Pressley looked good tonight.

Tanner's takedown was unfortunate. He finally provided the spark we have been looking for and promptly lost his cool & made a bonehead move... and will miss the game @SCU, too.
Yeah, I can understand guys must be getting frustrated with the season.

Lost in the USF post-mortem was that Pressley was the leading rebounder Thursday. He might be adjusting to the college game.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:22 pm

The Riley incident looked WAY worse live than it did on the replays. He had Zylstra in a headlock from the point where they both got off the floor, and his mistake was trying to get Zylstra back into the headlock after he broke free and kind of cuffed him and down he went.

Call me old-fashioned but I thought the worst part of it was the gesturing to the crowd on the way out. I'm not going to get overly mad at a 20-year-old for showing emotion in a heated environment...but when you get the boot and are getting followed by a camera on national TV, just go quietly.

I thought Pressley played well tonight in his 27 (!) minutes.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:23 pm

dholcombe wrote:Anybody have video of what started the fight?
I'm sure the video will surface... there was a scrum on the floor for a loose ball, Tanner came in a little late, and it got physical... the players were partially separted but kept going at it, and still had arms intertwined when they stood up... Tanner had his arm close to a headlock on the BYU player and threw/forced the him down. It was a heated moment, words were being exchanged both ways, but Tanner needed to keep a cool head, which he did not. IMO it was a warranted & appropriate flagrant foul.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:27 pm

Agreed on the gestures, DM. He should have just walked off the floor after a dumb move and giving 2 FT's & possession to the opponent.

Last edited by PilotNut on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by oh brody Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:27 pm

Anybody have video of what started the fight?
From my perspective it looked to me that after Tanner stole the ball away from the BYU player, that player threw a major elbow at Tanner. Tanner then lost his cool in the scrap for the ball that followed. I haven't seen the replay on the DVR yet but at the time I thought it was a major miss by the refs to not call a foul immediately on the BYU player. That being said I noticed at least two "haymaker" type elbows thrown tonight that didn't elicit any attention by the refs. All round it was a pretty rough and tumble game.
oh brody
oh brody
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:29 pm

No video from me, but basically there was a loose ball and Riley jumped onto the fray late to try to pry it free. Zylstra took exception and kind of grabbed him while both players were down, then they kind of both tied each other up. Zylstra broke free for a second then hit the ground hard. I thought Tanner had decked him with a straight right at first, but replays showed he kind of hit him in the back on the neck with the inside of his elbow which indicates it was more of a mistimed attempt to get him back into a headlock.

Will be a shame if he indeed has to miss the next game for that.....I thought if you got into a fight, you just had to sit out for five minutes and then you're good to go. You crazy Americans and your strict fisticuffs rules!

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:44 pm

It looked like a baseball fight to me.

Don Zimmer could have taken anybody out on the floor

Umm.. Except maybe Rev.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilot60 Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:49 pm

While I will not condone fighting, and I was glad no punches were thrown, I was glad to see Tanner step up. We were joking this team could use a little more Patrick Gallos.

Pilot60
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:01 am

I was at the game, so I saw the whole thing once they were up. I was just wondering if there was something I missed while they were on the ground.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:37 am

The sad part is that Tanner hit his first three, which for him is usually a lead-in to good things.

Then he got a really nice steal....

Then he read notices on the bulletin board in the locker room for the rest of the night.

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Pilot Fan Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:19 am

Right here. It starts around the 3:00 mark. Real nice, Tanner...especially telling your coach to f off Rolling Eyes.

Another Pilot Fan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:14 am

Another Pilot Fan wrote:

Right here. It starts around the 3:00 mark. Real nice, Tanner...especially telling your coach to f off Rolling Eyes.

Watching it live, I thought Tanner probably deserved to be kicked out. Watching the replay, I think Tanner deserves more that his one game automatic suspension.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by writerpilot Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:46 am

1) So embarrassing to feel like a visitor in your own stadium. BYU fan's filled at least two-thirds of the seats. The camera crew had a real struggle to find Portland fans cheering, as every other BYU fan seemed to have a BYU sign.

2) Student section was mostly uninvolved, again.Seemingly Every time they were shown on the monitor (toga guys excepted) they were texting.

3) Not going to defend Tanner, as he deserved to get thrown out after throwing a punch. However, the incident personified the typical WCC officiating response of allowing things to get way out of hand before taking action. "Oh look those guys are throwing elbows going for the ball...Now they are on the ground throwing punches...now there are a bunch of guys piling on top of them...hmm the benches have cleared and the coach is having to hold the Portland guy back...I suppose I should probably blow my whistle now."

4) Considering he didn't play at all in the first half, Tanner may be about to find out if Rev's doghouse has a sub-basement.

5) So frustrating that we have a coach who is reputed to a) be big on fundamentals and b) be a great big man coach, while have a team that can't bring the ball up the floor without kicking or passing it to the other team, and big men who have no confidence in asking for the ball or going to the hoop.

6) Please Mr. Rodgers: just shoot the ball. Also, please move around when you don't have the ball in your hand. Standing at the three point line on the other side of the court doesn't do a whole lot.

7) Was glad to see the team play hard after the fight and at least prevent the Cougars from running them out of the gym.
writerpilot
writerpilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:14 am

1) actually, it looked like a lot of BYU faNs stayed home. I think you forget what the place was like when the Jimmer was here. I think BYU was expecting to be champs in the WCC every year, and they will leave the conference without any.

2) the student section that was there was pretty good. Kudos to the boys in Togas. The problem was that the students were mostly at a dance.

3) the officiating has been horrible this year, perhaps more than ever. What Tanner did was inexcusable because it is not the sort of conduct we expect in amateur sports. We expect player's to respect each other.

What makes it more inexcusable is that he let down his team mates. He is a young kid, let's hope he learns.

4) not really sure Rev has a doghouse. I'm pretty sure there will be consequences for behavior. You don't get free passes.

5) it is the players who have to take responsibility. The bigs don't have confidence because the entry passes are sloppy. Why you think it is OK to throw a bounce pass at a 7' players ankle escapes me. And I would like them to use some of their strength.

But beyond that, I think sometimes they just try too hard. How many times in the last couple games have we seen great steals followed immediately by a try at a highlight reel break that ends up with giving the ball right back?

6) Derrick is not a 3 point shooter. Not that he can't do it, but he just doesn't have the confidence. He is a good assets when he drives. It causes problems. But each game he has a spell where he forgets to take care of the ball. Still, he is trying to help the team. The guy competes.

7) yes, the effort was there. I'm not sure what happened this year, but we have players who have forgotten how to shoot.

Next summer I don't want to see pictures of them rolling tractor tires. They don't keep stats for that. How about we see shots of players taking 2,000 shots a day?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next