Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gonzaga Notes

+12
wrv
StudentPilot
up7587
ExpatPilot
blacksheep
PilotNut
PurplePrideTrumpet
dholcombe
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
DaTruRochin
DoubleDipper
16 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Gonzaga Notes - Page 4 Empty Re: Gonzaga Notes

Post by Guest Mon May 12, 2014 10:31 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:It seemed from the beginning of WCC play that onetime 4-star SG Gerard Coleman might transfer closer to home to play his 5th year after graduating this spring, but GU's signing of  3-star Silas Melson out of Jefferson HS in Portland probably sealed the deal.

Coleman announced he'll be moving closer to his Boston home to play next year.
Reading the GU Board, it appears Coleman did not graduate, and may have to move to a lower division if he doesn't get a waiver.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon May 12, 2014 11:21 pm

up7587 wrote:Reading the GU Board, it appears Coleman did not graduate, and may have to move to a lower division if he doesn't get a waiver.
 ??????  Well, if that's the case, Coleman transferring makes NO sense to me.

Walk away from a Top-25 team and walk away from Gonzaga without a college degree......there's got to be something more to the story. scratch
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun May 18, 2014 12:20 pm

In HUGE news for GU, USC transfer Byron Wesley is now a Bulldog. Combined with other transfers, talented freshmen, and returners, GU has got to be an instant Top-10 pick for next season.

Wesley, a 6-5 senior wing, was the top scorer for the Trojans last year averaging almost 18 ppg.  He'll be immediately eligible.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 18, 2014 9:15 pm

I guess we can only hope for chemistry issues, with all the transfers in and out at Spokane.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 27, 2014 1:55 pm

6-8 PF Luke Meikle will transfer from GU after just one year.

I would imagine Meikle saw little playing time for himself with the eligibility of Kyle Wiltjer and the enrollment of Domantas Sabonis. A hard working, blue collar guy, Meikle will add his very good rebounding ability to some D1 school.

Another open scholarship for Coach Few; maybe he can finally build a Final Four team.   Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue May 27, 2014 2:18 pm

what do you want to bet Few already has somebody in mind?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:54 pm

El Geez wrote:what do you want to bet Few already has somebody in mind?
Gonzaga scored another highly regarded transfer when guard Eric McClellan, (dismissed from Vanderbilt in January after just half a season, and that was after two years playing at Tulsa, that included a redshirt year), signed-on for one and one half years of play with the Bulldogs beginning in late December……just about the time WCC play begins.

McClellan is an attacking guard who can easily score in double figures and has spent quite a bit of time at the free-throw line in the past due to his speed to the basket.

Probably not a big contributor this coming year, but he’ll almost certainly be a key backup or even a starter next season.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:40 pm

So let's see, Karnowski will have graduated, perhaps Sabonis will have turned pro, and 7-1 Edwards will be a senior, so it's probably a good thing that GU just got a 2016 verbal commit from 4-star center 6-10 Zach Collins from Bishop Gorman HS in Las Vegas

Collins is rated by ESPN as the 52nd best player at any position from the class of 2016.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:08 pm

Five Million Dollars to Gonzaga Basketball.....
Assoicated Press April 4, 2015 wrote:SPOKANE — Gonzaga University's recent success on the basketball court caught the eye of a benefactor who responded with a $5 million gift.

The university said it received the gift Friday from an anonymous donor who was inspired by Gonzaga's student athletes and the success of the men's and women's basketball teams.

The gift was given to support basketball performance and training. The university said it is working on a plan to expand facilities, add practice and training areas and student-athlete support services.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:33 pm

Drexel senior Damion Lee, considered by many to be the top player on the current transfer list, cut his potential landing spots to five schools today, and Gonzaga remains in play.....

Arizona, Gonzaga, Louisville, Marquette and Maryland.

The leading scorer in the Colonial Athletic Association and fifth-highest scorer in D1 with 21.4 points a game this past season, the 6-foot-6, 200-pound shooting guard will be eligible immediately as a graduate student.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:30 pm

Drexel has 9,500 graduate students, and more than 120 graduate degrees and certificates, according to their web page.  GU has some 33 programs for 2,500 graduate students, including their nursing, law, engineering and theology programs. I wonder what graduate program they can offer the young man that Drexel can not. Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:41 am

Jesuit studies?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:36 am

Remember that annoying onetime walk-on at GU, David Stockton?

Well, he just signed a one year contract for the 2015-16 season with the NBA Sacramento Kings..... Shocked
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:39 pm

Hearing reports out of Spokane that Kyle Wiltjer is thinking about declaring for the NBA....

Seriously dumb move, Kyle.  The college coaches I've talked to said he's not quick enough and he's not ready.

Maybe the NBA coaches have a different scale, but I don't think so.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:40 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Hearing reports out of Spokane that Kyle Wiltjer is thinking about declaring for the NBA....

Seriously dumb move, Kyle.  The college coaches I've talked to said he's not quick enough and he's not ready.

Maybe the NBA coaches have a different scale, but I don't think so.
If he's not quick enough, that won't improve with time. As far as ready, what skills can he get better at?  Maybe he's tired of school and ready to do something else.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:18 am

Apparently Karnowski is also considering leaving when he graduates this summer.  At least there is a thread about it on the GU board.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:07 am

up7587 wrote:Apparently Karnowski is also considering leaving when he graduates this summer.  At least there is a thread about it on the GU board.
One can only hope he and Wiltjer get some good advice and evaluations before taking the next step.

From my perspective, Sabonis has the most upside of the three, but Coach Few has already stated that he's staying at GU.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:35 pm

up7587 wrote:
If he's not quick enough, that won't improve with time. As far as ready, what skills can he get better at?  Maybe he's tired of school and ready to do something else.

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  Apr 13    
Gonzaga's Kyle Wiltjer is considering declaring for NBA, sources confirm to ESPN. NBA execs just told me he might go undrafted.

NBA exec on Wiltjer: "He has a chance to work himself into a guaranteed contract if he comes back and improves his quickness and defense."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:38 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
up7587 wrote:

Gonzaga's Kyle Wiltjer is considering declaring for NBA, sources confirm to ESPN. NBA execs just told me he might go undrafted.

NBA exec on Wiltjer: "He has a chance to work himself into a guaranteed contract if he comes back and improves his quickness and defense."
I suppose he could spend time with Mr. Miyagi.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:22 pm

I think the consensus is both Karnowski and Wiltjer should stay at GU, but both certainly have the option of playing in Europe if the NBA doesn't come calling.

One would think Coach Few would like to know NOW so he can do the necessary recruiting and signing.....

One man's opinion: http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2015/4/14/8411891/gonzagas-kyle-wiltjer-przemek-karnowski-considering-entering-nba-draft
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:58 am

While LMU's Evan Payne is transferring just down the street to Long Beach St, GU's Angel Nunez is getting as far away from Spokane as possible....he's headed to U. of South Florida in Tampa.. Razz

In other GU news, it may come as no surprise to most, but multiple sources are saying that Kyle Wiltjer has decided to stay one more year in Spokane.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:22 am

Posted on Facebook by KHQ Local News
Gonzaga's Domantas Sabonis will declare for NBA Draft according to ESPN sources. He's expected to sign with an agent & head to the NBA.

Looks like the ESPN source is Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN. He tweeted this a few hours ago.

Last edited by up7587 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add note)

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:31 am

up7587 wrote:Posted on Facebook by KHQ Local News
Gonzaga's Domantas Sabonis will declare for NBA Draft according to ESPN sources. He's expected to sign with an agent & head to the NBA.
I guess we can't blame him, it's probably been a dream of his for many years, but for selfish reasons I would love for him to stick around at GU awhile longer....definitely my favorite to watch in the WCC.

I'm afraid he'll be lost in the crowd in the NBA.....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:13 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
up7587 wrote:Posted on Facebook by KHQ Local News
I guess we can't blame him, it's probably been a dream of his for many years, but for selfish reasons I would love for him to stick around at GU awhile longer....definitely my favorite to watch in the WCC.

I'm afraid he'll be lost in the crowd in the NBA.....

He played really well in the tournament with a lot of NBA eyes on him. It's a no brainer for him to go.

You are right about watching him play. This year was the first time in a long time I actually enjoyed watching Gonzaga.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:58 am

GU has already reloaded at the PF spot with 3 guys coming in....and in addition they've got one of the top big men in the country in 4-star Zach Collins arriving to either redshirt behind Karnowski or fight Edwards for the starting position if Karno were to depart.

The rich are staying rich.......
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next