Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gonzaga Notes

+12
wrv
StudentPilot
up7587
ExpatPilot
blacksheep
PilotNut
PurplePrideTrumpet
dholcombe
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
DaTruRochin
DoubleDipper
16 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Gonzaga Notes - Page 5 Empty Re: Gonzaga Notes

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 11, 2016 11:33 am

DoubleDipper wrote:GU has already reloaded at the PF spot with 3 guys coming in......
One of those three, and apparently only the 5th Japanese player to play D1 basketball, has qualified academically, and will arrive in Spokane any day now:

"Rui Hachimura will enroll at Gonzaga in time for 2016-17 season"

http://www.slipperstillfitsa.com/2016/5/11/11657118/rui-hachimura-will-enroll-at-gonzaga-in-time-for-2016-17-season
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11391
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2016 3:21 pm

@pkarnowski wrote:After talking with my family and coaches I am happy to announce that I will be back for one more year with @ZagMBB #letsdoit #ZagUp

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 24, 2016 4:37 pm

up7587 wrote:
@pkarnowski wrote:After talking with my family and coaches I am happy to announce that I will be back for one more year with @ZagMBB #letsdoit #ZagUp
That is very good news, and really the best decision IMO.

Karno will continue get professional training and medical care in Spokane as he recovers from his back surgery, and with some luck and a reasonably good year on the court he should recover enough to play professionally......and barring that, he should at least lead a "normal 7-1 life" upon his recovery.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue May 24, 2016 4:50 pm

Are you Karno's dad?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11823
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:04 pm

Not unexpected, but guard Jordan Mathews will transfer to GU for his final year of eligibility after graduating from Cal.....

Interesting how GU has become the landing spot for a number of outstanding transfers in recent years.

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2016/6/24/11826052/cal-jordan-mathews-transfers-to-gonzaga
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:54 pm

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2016/10/14/13280918/gonzaga-basketball-preview-2017-mark-few-nigel-williams-goss

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:24 pm

WRV mentioned this on the 2017 recruiting thread. Zach Collins is a one-and-done. http://www.sbnation.com/gonzaga-zach-collins-2017-nba-draft-projection-lottery-pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:12 pm

@SportsCenter wrote:This Just In: Nigel Williams-Goss will enter the NBA draft and sign with an agent.  
Sorry to see him go because he's good for GU and good for the WCC, but I understand.....
nigelwg5 wrote:Two years ago I transferred to Gonzaga University with three main goals: earn my college degree, improve my game and help Gonzaga reach its first ever Final Four. I’m proud to say all three of my goals were met. In the classroom, I earned my degree in Psychology and have begun work on my Masters. On the court, my teammates and I made school history winning 37 games, advanced to the Final Four, and played in the National Championship game. Coming to Gonzaga is the best decision I ever made.

What I was most surprised by this season was not the wins, awards, or recognition, but rather the genuine love I felt with our fans in Spokane. Since arriving, everywhere I went, I have been surrounded by love from the Gonzaga community. I cannot describe the incredible relationships I have formed in my time here and would not trade my experience for anything in the world. I could not be more grateful or humbled to call myself a Zag for life!

After many discussions with my coaches and family, I have decided to enter the 2017 NBA Draft with representation. I am 100% confident in this decision and believe I am prepared both mentally and physically to take this step in my career and my life. As always, I give all glory to God for granting me this opportunity. I will continue to represent the entire Gonzaga community to the best of my ability. To all my teammates, coaches, fans, supporters, and believers…I love you and thank you! Forever and always... #GoZags

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:46 pm

The draft is going to be interesting this year. I heard one report that Collins may have to play D-league for a year. Wonder who else might be outside looking in?

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:54 pm

up7587 wrote:The draft is going to be interesting this year. I heard one report that Collins may have to play D-league for a year. Wonder who else might be outside looking in?
Mrs. DD and I were discussing the same thing.  There are going to be a lot of college dropouts entering the job market in the next couple of months, and some are going to be disappointed....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:58 pm

One such player that has many South Carolinians scratching their heads is PJ Dozier. But, D-League salaries are on the rise so you can actually make a living off of it so I have heard.

When your choice is NCAA-style uncompensated labor or make money playing basketball then the decision seems a bit more clear for some of these kids.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 781
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:38 pm

On the other hand, Grayson Allen is returning to Duke. Must be he wants that coveted Duke diploma. And all the love he gets at road games. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:47 pm

up7587 wrote:The draft is going to be interesting this year. I heard one report that Collins may have to play D-league for a year. Wonder who else might be outside looking in?

Well, that was a bogus speculation. Collins goes #10 in the NBA draft, and the Trailblazers traded up to get him.

Real estate: location, location, location. NBA: potential, potential, potential.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:54 pm

Read it and weep.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2018/3/21/17144294/gonzaga-basketball-2018-ncaa-tournament-mark-few-final-four-sweet-16

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:11 pm

up7587 wrote:Read it and weep.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2018/3/21/17144294/gonzaga-basketball-2018-ncaa-tournament-mark-few-final-four-sweet-16
From the article, "The 2017-18 Bulldogs roster featured eight players who have redshirted. That’s down from 11 on last season’s national runner-up squad."

Rev rarely redshirted players, and usually left the decision to redshirt up to the player, but TP and his staff have a different approach. For them it is ideal to have one transfer and one or two freshman redshirt each season to gain the maturity, strength, and one year of practice before taking to the court....without wasting a year sitting on the bench.

Generally, TP probably won't have a rotation beyond 8 players, and with a couple of walk-ons (this coming season there will be at least 4) and 2 or 3 redshirts, you've got plenty of practice players, thereby really cutting down on the wear and tear on the starters over the course of the season.

There is no doubt that Taki and Hugh would have rarely gotten off the bench this last season had they not redshirted, and there's no doubt in my mind that Josh Phillips will redshirt this coming season,...and I bet there will be at least one more new players who will do the same.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:53 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/gonzaga-to-the-mountain-west-zags-hope-to-reach-conference-decision-in-next-two-weeks/

Is this gaining momentum? Or is this more leverage against the WCC?

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 781
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:04 pm

Jesse Wade, the top high school recruit in Utah in 2015, prior to his 2-year LDS mission, has decided to leave the team.

Jesse played minimal minutes in 20 games this past season as a freshman, but was thought to be one of the stars of the future in Spokane.  My guess is he'll end up closer to home, but I would imagine one of the conditions of his release is he will not be allowed to go to BYU, or any other WCC school.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:43 pm

Some may recall the "tune-up" game in Spokane GU had against North Dakota last December that ended up going to overtime with the Zags finally pulling out the win.

In that game UND's Geno Crandall, a 6-4/180 guard, scored 28 points, and for the season he shot 48% from the floor.

I don't know if GU will face UND again this season, but this time Crandall will be wearing a Gonzaga uniform after signing with them as a grad-transfer.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:49 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Jesse Wade, the top high school recruit in Utah in 2015, prior to his 2-year LDS mission, has decided to leave the team.

Jesse played minimal minutes in 20 games this past season as a freshman, but was thought to be one of the stars of the future in Spokane.  My guess is he'll end up closer to home, but I would imagine one of the conditions of his release is he will not be allowed to go to BYU, or any other WCC school.
Well, the new "unrestricted" NCAA rules have changed the transfer landscape as schools can no longer prohibit a transfer from going to a specific school or conference....everyone is pretty much a free-agent, but still must sit one year per NCAA rules.

Jesse Wade and his wife have decided to transfer from Gonzaga to BYU!

It's a new era for intra-conference transferring.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:42 pm

Zags had two players drafted in the 1st round of the NBA draft.
Washington took Hachimura with the 9th pick. Memphis took Clarke with he 21st pick.
Interestingly, one draft analyst rates Hachimura as a 'D' and Clarke as an 'A+'.
www.sbnation.com/nba/2019/nba-draft-grades-2019-first-round

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:36 pm

Zach Norvell Jr was undrafted.
@slipperstillfits wrote:Zach Norvell reportedly signed a two-way contract with the Los Angeles Lakers after going undrafted last night.
 Seems a two-way contract is basically a minor league contract that can be converted to a standard contract if the player develops.  Meanwhile, the teams retains rights to that player.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:44 pm

Gonzaga picked up grad-transfer Ryan Woolridge as its PG for next season.  Woolridge, initially signed with USD out of high school in 2015, but transferred to North Texas before ever suiting-up for the Toreros.

Last season in Hawaii, Woolridge scored 22 and dished out 8 assists against the Pilots in North Texas' 78-73 win.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:30 pm

When Holland Woods, from Phoenix, announced his decision to transfer from PSU, he listed Gonzaga, Arizona St., New Mexico, and OSU as his likely choices, he's now a Sun Devil!

There was some speculation he would return to PSU where he averaged  17.7 points per game...but he made the wise choice, IMO,
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:45 pm

Two Zags drafted in NBA 1st Round, Suggs at #5 and Kispert at #15.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:02 pm

What does Gonzaga (eventually) do when/if BYU jumps to the Big 12?

https://zagaholic.net/words/oh-shoot-here-we-go-again
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next