Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots vs. Portland State (Wednesday, Nov. 21 @ 7:00)

+7
PurplePrideTrumpet
oh brody
DaTruRochin
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
11 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Pilots vs. Portland State (Wednesday, Nov. 21 @ 7:00) - Page 4 Empty Re: Pilots vs. Portland State (Wednesday, Nov. 21 @ 7:00)

Post by Guest Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:26 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Speaking as one of those who at times begins a Men's Basketball thread, I say, "You've got the stick." I'm sure PilotNut and others will jump in if need be, but with the cold Regina winter setting in, you've got to have something "productive" to do!! Cool

Actually, it's been the NHL lockout that's driven me to look for something else to watch at night rather than the cold weather...and in this day and age when essentially any game can be seen live it's been pretty easy to get back into UP hoops (my time there was the Pooh/Wilson/Coop era). Especially when they play the way they did last night!

pilotram wrote:Great showing last night, and props to UP for putting up an online stream of these last two games for us out of towners.

Ditto. Have you seen De Ciman yet? I see he's checked into a couple of games so far.

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. Portland State (Wednesday, Nov. 21 @ 7:00) - Page 4 Empty Re: Pilots vs. Portland State (Wednesday, Nov. 21 @ 7:00)

Post by pilotram Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:06 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:
Ditto. Have you seen De Ciman yet? I see he's checked into a couple of games so far.
Seen him, but he's had very little playing time. Certainly not enough to make an evaluation. He probably won't see the court much until next year.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:16 am

Had to miss last night's game, but I'm pleasantly surprised to read the good news about the victory and the impressive performance. Tried to watch the video archive online and the video stops at about 8 minutes in. E-mailed the Stretch internet people and got this back: "Unfortunately it appears that the recording failed after that point, so that is all that we have from that game. Let us know if you have any further questions."

Any further news on Cason? Was he in the building?

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:31 am

He was there.

I watched the 8 minutes on your suggestion. What is actually there is some of Rev's pregame and a bounce pass by Cory.

Great bounce pass.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:05 pm

Video interviews with Rev, Ryan, and Tanner here:

http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landing3?Video-Recap-University-of-Portland-Win-O=1&blockID=805035&feedID=10492
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:25 pm

A write up from the Tribune here: http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/123693-rileys-perfecto-rubs-off-on-pilots

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:27 pm

Cheers to the Tribune. Good article. Pretty outrageous the the Oregonian didn't have any coverage of this game.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:48 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Cheers to the Tribune. Good article. Pretty outrageous the the Oregonian didn't have any coverage of this game.

Well, they did have three paragraphs onpage 2 of the sports page( college basketball highlights) and the Olive had this

http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2012/11/pilots_tanner_riley_perfect_fr.html

I have read the O is projected to be dead in 2 years, so cut them some slack.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:49 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Cheers to the Tribune. Good article. Pretty outrageous the the Oregonian didn't have any coverage of this game.
Yea, obviously a deadline problem because of Thanksgiving (and all the advertisements)....you'll notice they had no west coast scores in today's paper....but still, I felt the same way.

The Tribune article was much more complete than the O's would have been anyway. Embarassed
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:52 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:I have read the O is projected to be dead in 2 years, so cut them some slack.
Where did you read that, in the Portland Journal....or was that before your time?

I gotta say, the O has one of the best comic sections in the west....must have: coffee and comics in the morning! Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:38 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Video interviews with Rev, Ryan, and Tanner here:

http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landing3?Video-Recap-University-of-Portland-Win-O=1&blockID=805035&feedID=10492
Nicholas: "We can go to the Downtown Chipotle with our head high." Laughing
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:50 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:

Well, they did have three paragraphs onpage 2 of the sports page( college basketball highlights) and the Olive had this

http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2012/11/pilots_tanner_riley_perfect_fr.html

You might notice NoPoNeightbor's comment on the bottom of that article. It was also just the write up that Portland State posted on their website. Similar to how the O just pulls our write ups.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:28 pm

Here is a comment one of the PSU fans made on their forum:
- The Chiles Center had the atmosphere of a cold wet sponge. Must have been the Thanksgiving holiday.

I was not there as I'm sure most students were not because of the holiday. It must have been bad, but I'm sure however many showed up to the Chiles Center would have easily filled their gym.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Yeah, the eve of Thanksgiving is not a great time to schedule a game. Students traveling, and I'm sure lots of fans were traveling, too, or entertaining guests.

I'm sure the fans behind the Vikings' bench were a little more "cold wet sponge" than the fans behind the Pilots' bench, especially when Rev was leading cheers.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:49 pm

RipCityPilot wrote:Here is a comment one of the PSU fans made on their forum:
- The Chiles Center had the atmosphere of a cold wet sponge. Must have been the Thanksgiving holiday.
I was not there as I'm sure most students were not because of the holiday. It must have been bad, but I'm sure however many showed up to the Chiles Center would have easily filled their gym.
With Rev leading the cheers and fans (finally) having some good Pilots basketball to get excited about; I thought it was a terrific atmosphere.

Sure, the student crowd was sparse and the dance team consisted of seven instead of the original 17, but for those of us who were just enjoying the evening, it was an atmosphere of holiday good cheer and good will towards our fellow fans.

There appeared to be no more than about 10 PSU fans in attendance, although it was difficult to tell because they didn't have much to cheer about, so wet sponge atmosphere notwithstanding, I'm assuming our PSU fan felt a little lonely.....but there is NO comparison between the Stott Center and Chiles Center as a place to watch basketball. Evil or Very Mad

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:00 pm

I think he might have been referring to the dance team's uniforms.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:29 pm

RipCityPilot wrote:Here is a comment one of the PSU fans made on their forum:

Is there a reason that a crosstown rivalry shouldn't have been 50-50?

The last time we were at stott is was.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:06 pm

[quote="DoubleDipper"]
RipCityPilot wrote:there is NO comparison between the Stott Center and Chiles Center as a place to watch basketball. Evil or Very Mad

CC Perry Gym at Warner Pacific blows them both away.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:20 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:CC Perry Gym at Warner Pacific blows them both away.
Seriously! Can you imagine the atmosphere you could create here at CC Perry Gym?

Pilots vs. Portland State (Wednesday, Nov. 21 @ 7:00) - Page 4 Cc10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:26 pm

YUP.

no comparison.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:15 pm

RipCityPilot wrote:A write up from the Tribune here: http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/123693-rileys-perfecto-rubs-off-on-pilots
It was a nightmarish evening for the visitors from the Park Blocks, who were nearly as bad at the defensive end as with their offense. They shot .357 — in no small part due to missing at least 10 cripples — and made just 2 of 15 attempts from beyond the arc.
Is this a basketball term I've just never heard before?
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:02 am

Well, it is certainly better to miss them, than hit them.... Embarassed

In that context, does the author mean "Gimmes"?

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:11 am

He wrote it on an iPad.

He meant triples - missed the "c" and got bit by word replacement.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:17 am

No, no, no.....a "cripple" is an easy to the basket, "no chance of missing," move that is meant to "cripple" the opponent. Sheesh!

To miss a "cripple" is to let the opponent stay in the game when your team could have ended the opponent's chance of winning.

In my opinion, the writer used "cripples" out of proper context in the article....probably didn't know what it meant, but had heard or seen some old guy use it somewhere. Embarassed
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:25 am

What they missed was threes, not easy runs to the basket. 1/9 in the first half.

UP was someting close to perfect and Tanner was 4/4
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next