Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portland State @ Pilots, Friday, Nov. 11th, 7:00pm

+4
Rob's Jacket
Dean Murdoch
Geezaldinho
up7587
8 posters

Go down

Portland State @ Pilots, Friday, Nov. 11th, 7:00pm Empty Portland State @ Pilots, Friday, Nov. 11th, 7:00pm

Post by up7587 Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:12 pm

This Veteran's Day match-up will be the initial game for the Vikings, and third game in 5 days for the Pilots. The Vikings have a couple players who Pilot fans may be familiar with. Kendall Munson is a transfer who played two years for Pepperdine. Hayden Curtiss played one year for the Pilots, moved on with the coaching change, and played last year with the Vikings. Only two of their players did not come to PSU via transfer or from a CC.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Portland State @ Pilots, Friday, Nov. 11th, 7:00pm Empty Re: Portland State @ Pilots, Friday, Nov. 11th, 7:00pm

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:59 pm

It looks like Curtiss is one of only 4 returning players.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Portland State @ Pilots, Friday, Nov. 11th, 7:00pm Empty Re: Portland State @ Pilots, Friday, Nov. 11th, 7:00pm

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:10 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:It looks like Curtiss is one of only 4 returning players.

I'd assume Mikal Starks and Jacob Eyman will be asked to do a lot more than they did last year for this PSU team.

They have a few quality pieces incoming. Cameron Parker comes home for his final season after a real good couple of years at Montana. Jorell Saterfield was great in a limited role at UTEP. Hunter Woods (Elon) gives them a bit of size.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:22 pm

This game is an absolute rock fight.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Rob's Jacket likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:34 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:This game is an absolute rock fight.

Rock fight is right. This is a legit rivalry now.

What a wild win.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:00 pm

Portland State @ Pilots, Friday, Nov. 11th, 7:00pm Captur12

Enjoy this view of first place while you can? (Yeah, one of those was from a D3 team but whatever)

Post game radio with Legans: https://vocaroo.com/1g0XyQl1mYV7
Post game radio with T-Rob: https://vocaroo.com/1iqRP06kFppu
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Geezaldinho, Dean Murdoch and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:01 pm

Rob's Jacket wrote:What a wild win.

I can't decide if I even enjoyed that game or not. I wasn't even in the building, the game's been over for a half hour, and I'm still exhausted.

Moses must be frustrated, feels like at least 3 of his 5 fouls were complete BS (most notably on the brilliant block from behind).
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:26 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:

I can't decide if I even enjoyed that game or not. I wasn't even in the building, the game's been over for a half hour, and I'm still exhausted.

Moses must be frustrated, feels like at least 3 of his 5 fouls were complete BS (most notably on the brilliant block from behind).

The block and the reach where it just looked liked the refs couldn't believe Moses' arms were long enough to get the ball without making contact both seemed particularly egregious.

I'll second the sentiment that it was an incredibly stressful game. But I'm not sure I've ever seen the Chiles Center that alive for the third game of the season.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874

Snus Junction likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:36 am

Rob's Jacket wrote:
Dean Murdoch wrote:This game is an absolute rock fight.

Rock fight is right. This is a legit rivalry now.

What a wild win.

Catching up on highlights and box scores: was the technical foul for chirping/banter? I think I caught it in the highlights but it’s a quick moment.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Snus Junction likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:42 am

Rob's Jacket wrote:
Dean Murdoch wrote:

I'll second the sentiment that it was an incredibly stressful game. But I'm not sure I've ever seen the Chiles Center that alive for the third game of the season.

It was interesting that at the end of the game the coaches met at half court, talked for a few seconds, and then Coburn turned and had his team head to the locker and skip the normal high fives /good-game exchange.  I'm guessing their stress level had reached the "Unpredictable" mark on the dial.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:51 am

ExpatPilot wrote:
Catching up on highlights and box scores: was the technical foul for chirping/banter? I think I caught it in the highlights but it’s a quick moment.

No, it was near the very end of the game with like 10 seconds to go when a Portland State player clotheslined T-Rob during an out of bounds play (unintentional but pretty obvious call). You can see it in the full game replay at the 2:26:57 mark.

Portland Pilots prevail over Portland State in frenzied basketball game:
https://pamplinmedia.com/pt/12-sports/563589-451363-portland-pilots-prevail-over-portland-state-in-frenzied-basketball-game
https://archive.ph/S3dcm
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:04 am

Do you mean the flagrant at the end or the T to Gorosito? Juanse drilled a 3 right in front of the PSU bench, then blew several kisses in that direction to earn the tech.

Which I admit was hilarious, but maybe not exactly what the Pilots needed as they were already down 10 before that three.

As for the handshakes at the end, it seemed like it was Coburn that suggested to Coach Legans that they not do the full handshake and Legans then agreed and waved off his team. Good on both coaches to read the temperature of the gym at that point, if that’s indeed how it played out.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Snus Junction and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:53 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:Do you mean the flagrant at the end or the T to Gorosito? Juanse drilled a 3 right in front of the PSU bench, then blew several kisses in that direction to earn the tech.
Well, not exactly kisses, and certainly not obscene by any means, but definitely "in your face" in front of the PSU bench and the referee.

More like this, but the Pilots were down 10 at the time and needed the spark that Jauanse gave the team with 2 big 3-pointers.
Portland State @ Pilots, Friday, Nov. 11th, 7:00pm Giphy11

Lots of deserving accolades given out last night to Tyler and Mike and others, but the man of the match for me was the hard-working Chika who came off the bench to play 23+ minutes when Vasilije was struggling.  My second unsung hero was Joey, who was a possible scratch from the game due to nagging asthma issues, and who came in for some wonderful rebounds and swat backs to keep the Pilots comeback alive.

Here's the full game so you can see for yourself:

More than once Ann and Jennifer called the game "chippy" the rest of the way after Juanse's T, and it was, but it was fun!!  drunken

Oh, and finally, there was a Stonehouse sighting in the building last night... Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11237
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:54 pm

Free throws: 35 of 44. Robertson 22-24, everyone else 13-20, 65%. Including 60% combined shooting from Wood and Sjolund, 4 total misses. I still fear this is going to cost the Pilots a game this year.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down