Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Final US WC Roster

5 posters

Go down

Final US WC Roster Empty Final US WC Roster

Post by DaTruRochin Wed May 26, 2010 10:41 am

http://theoriginalwinger.com/2010-05-26-2010-us-world-cup-roster-announced

The full squad : USA World Cup Team

Goalkeepers- Tim Howard, Marcus Hahnemann, Brad Guzan

Defenders- Carlos Bocanegra, Oguchi Onyewu, Jay DeMerit, Steve Cherundolo, Jonathan Spector, Clarence Goodson, Jonathan Bornstein

Midfielders- Landon Donovan, Michael Bradley, Stuart Holden, Maurice Edu, Ricardo Clark, DaMarcus Beasley, Benny Feilhaber, Jose Francisco Torres

Forwards- Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore, Herculez Gomez, Edson Buddle, Robbie Findley

So no Pearce, but UP is still represented by Cherundolo, which you gotta love. The biggest shocker to me is the omission of Brian Ching, normally I would chuckle at any slight of a Zag, but I really feel like this is a huge mistake. Ching brings a veteran quality, high work rate and imposing aerial attack to the front that we really lack. Other than Altidore there aren't really any traditional "point man" forwards, and Altidore doesn't even fully fit that role either. I'm glad they took Gomez, but Buddle AND Findley is kind of a surprise to me. Buddle has been in phenomenal form, but Findley, Bradley is reaching, looking for that speed Charlie Davies brings.

And don't even get me started on the DaMarcus Beasley inclusion....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Final US WC Roster Empty Re: Final US WC Roster

Post by Geezaldinho Wed May 26, 2010 11:02 am

Beasley actually looks in a lot better form this year after that fiasco the last time he was on the team when he shouldn't have been,

but I think you are right that they don't have a second target player. Too bad Conor isn't in better form right now.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed May 26, 2010 11:17 am

Yeah, Beasley is such an enigma, I guess Bradley must see something in training sessions that remind him of 02... I see it as kind of an all in bet, same with going with relatively internationally unproven forwards like Findley, Buddle and Gomez, it could work out REALLY well, or absolutely blow up in Bobby boy's face...

And agreed on Conor, I think his international play has just been so raw (and yet, at times, productive) and club play so shaky as of late they preferred to go with athleticism and speed over pure power.

I'd really like to see a second forward step up so we can utilize Donovan and Dempsey on the wings. Having that kind of speed and creativity on the outside is a dimension I really like on this squad, haha and I relish the chance of seeing Landon torch Ashley Cole again....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed May 26, 2010 2:27 pm

Wow, most of the analysts out there thought Findley was a long shot. Nice for the Northwest since he's a Beaver though.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by footyfan Thu May 27, 2010 11:20 am

I felt bad for Heath! Bornstein has stunk it up pretty consistantly this past year. A decent 2nd half could have put Heath on the plane.
Bornstein stunk it up in the first half and I though as bad a Bornstein played..Heath was much worse.
Can't blame Bradley for leaving him home. Too bad.

footyfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Final US WC Roster Empty Need for speed

Post by footyfan Thu May 27, 2010 11:24 am

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:Wow, most of the analysts out there thought Findley was a long shot. Nice for the Northwest since he's a Beaver though.

My guess is that Bradley wants pace...Gomez impressed but isn't a speed demon..Ching is experienced and a good post up forward..But Sloooww. Findley gives him a second speed guy.

At this point..I'm more worried about our defense than our offense..The way we looked on Tuesday...Rooney will chew up and spit out the defense.

footyfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu May 27, 2010 12:00 pm

Yeah, it is a concern, but you also have to consider that 3 of the CRs goals came against a 2nd string defense/GK with no Bocanegra, Spector, Onweyu or Howard organizing things. Furthermore any US team without Dempsey, Donovan and Altidore is going to struggle really pushing forward and giving the defense any respite...

Honestly, the only way to really shut down Rooney is to hope he gets injured, that guy is an absolute pit bull out there...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu May 27, 2010 3:41 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:Yeah, it is a concern, but you also have to consider that 3 of the CRs goals came against a 2nd string defense/GK with no Bocanegra, Spector, Onweyu or Howard organizing things. Furthermore any US team without Dempsey, Donovan and Altidore is going to struggle really pushing forward and giving the defense any respite...

Honestly, the only way to really shut down Rooney is to hope he gets injured, that guy is an absolute pit bull out there...
Really, we should all hope and pray the Czechs beat up on us becuase we were treating it as something of a tryout. Now that the 23 are set the Turkey and Australia games should show us the kind of team we will see in the Cup.

Like I said, I hope...
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat May 29, 2010 7:09 pm

OK that 2nd half of the Turkey game was really quite something. I think having Dempsey and Donovan on the wings is our best option creatively...

Jose Torres was a little playmaking pest out there! I'd rather have his creativity and grit out there than the hard mis-tackling lug that is Ricardo Clark (but I guess it's all about matchups.) JFT had a great 2nd half.

Also hats off to our own Steve Cherundolo, he commanded that right side, defending well and making some fantastic runs.

Robbie Findley had a nice chip to set up Donovans assist on the first goal, and did a nice job of using his pace to open up the defense and make runs... but Robbie, buddy, pass the f*&%$ ball before you hit the end line... It doesn't have to be pretty, just get it across the goal mouth....

Our defense was definitely suspect at times, the fact that nobody slid over to take J. Spector's man on the goal was abhorred. JS literally sprinted 8 yards and ALMOST caught the goal scorer in the process. LIttle breakdowns and small poor decisions seem to be the downfall of a back line that at times shows real promise. The key question (as always) is who plays left back?? DeMerit, Spector Bocanegra and Cherundolo all play well at the right, unfortunately there are only spots for 2 of them on the pitch at once with one playing wide and another as a center back... (I think Goodson and Bornstein are going to age me 12 years whenever they see the field...) Decisions, decisions....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun May 30, 2010 1:26 am

Argentina will be starting four center backs. Maybe the US should start four right backs. If it works Bradley will look like a genius, haha.

You think Goodson and Bornstein are disasters, try watching Quavas Kirk's attempts at playing defense for the Timbers...
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun May 30, 2010 11:27 am

Hahhaa, in the few Timbers games I have attended, I've noticed that yeah... Kirk and a few others make defending look more like an adventure than an art form..
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Sun May 30, 2010 11:53 am

All the more reason to get a certain veteran defender some more time on the pitch.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down