Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2024 Men's Roster

4 posters

Go down

2024 Men's Roster Empty 2024 Men's Roster

Post by SoreKnees Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:10 pm

Many of the players are listed on the Web site as juniors, but I think that is because of the extra year every one got due to covid. Can anyone with inside knowledge share who is likely not coming back?
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

2024 Men's Roster Empty Re: 2024 Men's Roster

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:24 pm

SoreKnees wrote:Many of the players are listed on the Web site as juniors, but I think that is because of the extra year every one got due to covid. Can anyone with inside knowledge share who is likely not coming back?
I do not have inside knowledge, but I can tell you 10 student-athletes were recognized as "seniors" in a pregame ceremony before defeating USF on Veterans Day:

Marios Andreou
Jacob Babalai - Junior
Kevin Bonilla - Junior
Julian Conze
Boyd Curry
Nick Denley
Buba Fofanah - Junior
Jacob McDaniel - Junior
Jose Olmos
Jesus Salazar
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11238
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:30 pm

As many likely know, the MLS can now draft college sophomores and juniors...not just seniors like in the past...and the draft take place on December 19.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-expands-eligible-player-pool-for-mls-superdraft-presented-by-adidas

With that in mind, there is a very good chance Jacob Babalai, Kevin Bonilla, and Buba Fofanah will be drafted and sign MLS contracts.

Looking at the UP roster, there's a good chance sophomore Nick Fernandez could also be drafted along with Samory Powder, who is listed as a senior.

Efe Aror will likely play just one more year before being drafted after his sophomore year...that's just conjecture, but he sure looks like a pro in the making.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:26 am

Article on Kevin Bonilla:
https://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/2023/11/portland-pilots-star-might-be-the-best-kept-secret-in-college-soccer-but-his-biggest-dream-isnt-about-sports.html

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2021-06-10

DoubleDipper and PNWPilot like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:26 am

December 6-9 in Phoenix, the 2023 Adidas MLS College Showcase, a closed-door scouting event officially sanctioned by the NCAA, will feature the top college players ranging from freshmen to graduate students participating in training sessions, testing, interviews and match play.

Of the 44 invited, two are from UP:

Jacob Babalai and Kevin Bonilla cheers
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:37 am

"The accolades keep rolling in for Portland Pilots Men's Soccer, with Kevin Bonilla making the United Soccer Coaches All-American First Team and Nick Fernandez making the third team. They are the first United Soccer Coaches All-Americans for Portland since 2018 and it's the first time they've had multiple from United Soccer Coaches since 2001."

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2023/12/8/mens-soccer-bonilla-fernandez-garner-all-american-honors.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

bullwinkle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:01 am

Portland Pilots Men's Soccer has six players available in the eligible player pool for tomorrow's (Wednesday 12/20) 2024 MLS SuperDraft:

Kevin Bonilla; Jacob Babalai; Nick Denley; Nick Fernandez; Buba Fofanah; and Samory Powder.

The draft begins at noon Pacific time, but because it's the MLS, it's probably only viewable on Apple TV... Evil or Very Mad

The last time the Pilots had a player drafted was four years ago when Rey Ortiz was taken with the 29th pick of the 2020 MLS SuperDraft by FC Cincinnati.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:04 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Portland Pilots Men's Soccer has six players available in the eligible player pool for tomorrow's (Wednesday 12/20) 2024 MLS SuperDraft:

Kevin Bonilla; Jacob Babalai; Nick Denley; Nick Fernandez; Buba Fofanah; and Samory Powder.

The draft begins at noon Pacific time, but because it's the MLS, it's probably only viewable on Apple TV... Evil or Very Mad

The last time the Pilots had a player drafted was four years ago when Rey Ortiz was taken with the 29th pick of the 2020 MLS SuperDraft by FC Cincinnati.

This was a pretty good draft for UP players, though others will have to pursue their soccer careers by other means.

Here is the list of selections and their order of pick and team this year.
Kevin Bonilla (18) picked  by RSL
Jacob Babalai (41) picked by Charlotte
Buba Fofanah (81) picked by the Sounders

I believe this is the most players UP has had selected in the Superdraft.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:27 am

Geezaldinho wrote:This was a pretty good draft for UP players, though others will have to pursue their soccer careers by other means.

Here is the list of selections and their order of pick and team this year.

Real Salt Lake signed former Portland Pilots defender Kevin Bonilla to a contract for the 2024 MLS season. The contract also includes club options for the 2025, 2026 and 2027 season.

"I'm excited for this next chapter in my life," Bonilla said. "Having the opportunity to play at a club like RSL is perfect for me and I can't wait to get started. To Portland — I will be forever grateful. Coach Nick and the community took a kid in and supported him when he was at his lowest moment and have given not just me, but also my family the opportunity to live a dream only a few can live. Once a Pilot, always a Pilot."

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2024/1/11/mens-soccer-kevin-bonilla-signs-contract-with-real-salt-lake
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

SoreKnees likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:28 am

Geezaldinho wrote:Here is the list of selections and their order of pick and team this year.

I believe this is the most players UP has had selected in the Superdraft.
Fan favorite, Buba, passes on a chance to play for the Sounders...
Buba Fofanah wrote:"As I look to the future in 2024, I am motivated to fulfill my late mother's dream for me to finish my education before pursuing a professional soccer career."
https://portlandpilots.com/news/2024/1/17/mens-soccer-buba-fofanah-to-return-to-portland-for-final-year-of-eligibility.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:53 pm

It’ll be nice to see him on the pitch at Merlo another year.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Rob's Jacket and SoreKnees like this post

Back to top Go down