Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'07 - '08 Roster

+5
Rochin54
wrv
68OrBB
losttime
PilotNut
9 posters

Go down

'07 - '08 Roster Empty '07 - '08 Roster

Post by PilotNut Fri May 18, 2007 12:39 pm

Well, according to another site, we have lost both Emerson (not a huge surprise if true) and Jones (surprise if true). I will wait for official word, but this leaves a couple holes to fill.

Emerson was a walk on last year, and contributed a lot in that capacity. He will be missed in that regard, but he is worthy of a scholarship somewhere else (D-II, etc).

Jones is an experienced player with needed defensive skills. *If* he is indeed gone, should we go after a transfer to get someone with some experience (as opposed to a freshman who needs time to mature)?

Thoughts?

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

'07 - '08 Roster Empty Re: '07 - '08 Roster

Post by losttime Fri May 18, 2007 1:21 pm

JJ is gone because of grades. Sad but true. JJ could have a big difference in the future.

losttime

losttime
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 68OrBB Fri May 18, 2007 5:36 pm

As an outsider looking in it is a loss for the program. Even though he was a walk on, Emerson played better than the scholarship players. Jamie was a very solid inside player and a good rebounder. For next year UP has no leadership, 1 senior and 2 juniors who play a backup role. You win with Juniors and Seniors. I do not see a chance of a winning season until 3 or 4 years.

68OrBB
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sun May 20, 2007 5:12 pm

I think it unlikely that the Pilots will put a winning product on the floor next year. Both loses are significant. It is interesting that Jones apparently is considering a transfer to PSU? We ship them out for academic deficiencies and PSU picks them up . . .On the other hand, I do not think we have ever taken a transfer from PSU. I agree with letting players go, however, if they are unable to meet academic standards. Just wish it weren't so painful. Reveno seems to be recruiting athletes capable of meeting academic standards. Kramer, for instance, was/is an exceptional student. Go Pilots and keep those players.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

'07 - '08 Roster Empty vacancy

Post by PilotNut Sun May 20, 2007 10:19 pm

One would have to think that if Jones is leaving for Academic reasons, it is not a surprise to Reveno... so what do we do? Who fills the scholarship position? I hope he has someone in mind...

And if we go for another incoming freshman, wow, we are disproportionately balanced. I think we need to go for a transfer...

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon May 21, 2007 6:54 am

How about we extend a scholarship to Emerson, if it is not to late--although I have never been quite sure whether he was on a scholarship while here or not . . .

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Mon May 21, 2007 1:28 pm

Hmm. This stinks. Jones was definatly solid. Looks like we will rely heavily on Kramer, Sikma, and Hannibal in the post. The lack of exeperience could really hurt us there. I'm not sure if Smuelders will be a guy able to bang around down low, but he may be playing there. We'll have to see what happens there.

As far as scoring goes, I'm not sure who we'll be relying on. Presumably, Watson will step it up, and hopefully Raivio's experience will allow him to step right in and score. Perhaps we will have guys like Niedermeyer and stohl step up as well. For me, this season could be a big question mark, but it could reveal the foundation for some good years ahead.\

I do wonder how we can have so many academic fallouts. It seems odd to me. Don't know what to say about that quite yet.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

'07 - '08 Roster Empty Updated Roster... JJ & Parker Gone

Post by PilotNut Wed May 30, 2007 9:57 am

I happened to check out the roster on the UP website, and Jones and Emerson are not listed, so I guess that is as official as it gets....

http://www.portlandpilots.com/sports/mbball/rosters/index.asp

The roster now has only 12 players, so we should be hearing some news this summer on an addition or two. Man, we are young... we need some experience.

Freshman: Hannibal, Stohl, Porter, Sikma, Knutson.
Soph's: Raivio, Niedermeyer, Ito, Smeulders,
Juniors: Thompson, Carter
Senior: Watson

We are going to need Ito to step up into the leadership role immediately; a role I think he can excel in. Raivio should also bring some leadership.

Any way we could still get James Loe?!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Wed May 30, 2007 2:18 pm

Good stuff PilotNut. I would think that we may want to go after a transfer, JC is good cause they don't have to sit out, so we can even out the classes a bit. Here's how we look position wise:

4/5: Hannibal, Sikma, Knutson, Smuelders (perhaps he could also play 3)

3: Watson, Niedermeyer, Porter, Carter (Porter and Carter likely more ideal for the 2 spot considering their height)

2: Raivio, Stohl, Thompson

1: Ito (Raivio as back-up)

Hmm...lot to think about there.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Wed May 30, 2007 8:17 pm

Back up PG is clearly a big need, as Rochin54's post indicates.

Wow, we've sure had had some academic casualties the last couple of years haven't we? Rev needs to recruit guys who can play who can also cut it in the classroom (these were Holton's recruits, I know). They're out there, he just has to find them.

This new board rocks! Basketball cheers
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 270

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu May 31, 2007 7:18 am

Well, for those in the know, are the Pilots actively recruiting or are they going to wait until November to sign a 13th player? I assume there is absolutely no chance that Parker Emerson would accept an offer at this point?

I thought someone (Pilot Nut) had linked a quote in which Reveno had characterized Stohl as being able to play the point. I think it more likely Stohl will be playing backup point, not shooting guard.

Go Pilots!

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

'07 - '08 Roster Empty Article

Post by PilotNut Thu May 31, 2007 9:40 am

here is the article you referred to:

http://www.portlandpilots.com/sports/mbball/release.asp?release_id=4000

From the article:
"Projected as a combo-guard for the Pilots, Reveno is excited about Stohl’s ability to score and work ethic.

'Jared has the skills and ability to play the point guard position, but is also one of the best shooters in the West,' Reveno said. 'He is a prototypical gym rat and is always working on his game. He has a tremendous feel for the game, good instincts and is a highly competitive individual. Coach Gould does a great job of making his players understand how to play, and play hard, so Jared will be a good fit with our program.' "

Basketball

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PSUVikings Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:51 am

talk on the psu site is Jamie Jones is now at PSU?

PSUVikings
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 54

http://www.psufansforum.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

'07 - '08 Roster Empty If so, what's the deal?

Post by PilotNut Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:00 am

What is the deal with all the UP academic casualties ending up @ PSU? It seems odd that any school would want or have spots for that many transfers in such a short period of time. There is at least the one transfer from UW, too...

Is PSU recruiting any kids directly out of high school? It just seems odd to me. Nothing against the Ken Bone or the Viks, but just odd.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:58 am

Hello friends! It's been a long time since I've been able to post one here... some of you know why, some don't - it doesn't really matter. What does matter is I have a new job now that will allow me to return to my obsessive posting glory!

Lots to talk about... will touch on all of it in time. But first things first, no matter the reason for Jones' departure (pretty obvious it's academic), it dramatically hurts the team next year.

The Pilots now have exactly ZERO returning post players. It will be up to three freshman and Smuelders (who will have sophomore eligibilty but no US game experience) to take care of business down low. Yikes.

Anyway, I'll write more soon. It's nice to be back!

GO PILOTS!!!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

'07 - '08 Roster Empty Welcome

Post by PilotNut Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:08 pm

Good to have you back, Stonehouse.... and I will be interested to hear your take on things.

Are you going to be my seat neighbor again this season?

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:38 pm

I hope so! It will be nice to be a season ticket holder again and enjoy the games, that's for sure.

As for next year... there was a secret part of me that was thinking that maybe somehow the Pilots could surprise some people, especially in the WCC. Loyola appears to be in shambles, Santa Clara loses everyone, and Pepperdine, well... Pepperdine looks like they will be even worse than last year.

So right there, my mind was thinking that the Pilots could finish 5th. And then, if Grier doesn't fit in San Diego or if USF falls apart because of Kellogg... heck, top half wasn't entirely out of the picture.

But... then Jones leaves. Make no mistake, that is a HUGE hit. Reveno was able to do a lot with the post guys last year (positive rebounding margin, one of the top offensive rebounding teams), but you can never expect a lot out of freshmen and Jones was clearly going to be a 30-35 minute a game kind of guy.

Hannibal has the body to compete right away, but hasn't played anywhere near at this level of competition.

Sikma is skillful but needs to physically mature a considerable amount - he is still skinny and soft. I can see him getting pushed around a lot down there.

I have no idea about Knutson (I've never actually seen him) but from what I've heard his has a lot of development to do as well, both physical and skill.

Smuelders is the wildcard. I have seen him lots of times in practice, and he has often looked like the best post player out there. He's got good shooting range, some decent moves down low, and is a good shot blocker. Basically, he is like Ben Sullivan, except with a much better work ethic. Remember those times when Sullivan played hard and was actually a very valuable and versatile player? I think we can expect that from Smuelders.

So... if you had to ask me, I would say that the onus will be on Hannibal. If Hannibal can come in and contribute major minutes, than the Pilots might be OK. If not, I really think Sikma and Knutson will be totally overmatched if they have to play 25+ a game.

Now for the possible positives. Jones, while a very active and good player, was undersized and actually wasn't a great rebounder in the old-school sense. He was a ball hawk and had a great motor, but he wasn't terrific at positioning and boxing out and all of that. Case in point - he often got more offensive than defensive rebounds. And while he had a pretty good little baby hook, he didn't have a wide variety of post moves and could be shut down by a bigger defender with good skill.

So... while Jones would easily have been our best post player, it's not like they are losing someone who is going to go be all-world. He is a solid player and a good hustler and I am going to miss him like heck, but it's time to just take the loss and look forward to the future. And hopefully the future is Jaisonn Hannibal.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

'07 - '08 Roster Empty Speaking of Smeulders...

Post by PilotNut Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:23 pm

Interview with him on portlandpilots.com:

http://www.portlandpilots.com/sports/mbball/release.asp?release_id=4380

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PSUVikings Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:19 pm

Jones coming to PSU must mean yet another athlete is academically ineligible. Who it is I have no clue.

PSUVikings
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 54

http://www.psufansforum.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:46 am

ryan sommers, PSU point guard for the last two years and a would be senior for 07-08 has departed PSU. Rumor has it that he and Bone did not see eye to eye. I think Dominguez being there may have had more to do with it.
Odd the droppindimes hasnever mention this.

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:19 pm

Honestly, I liked JD's game. I thought he did a good job with what he had, and saw the court especially well. He obviously has his limitations, but I think he will do quite well at PSU. And, honestly, I generally like to see Oregon products do well.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:01 am

Seriously, PSU got some players in Dominguez and Tiefenthaler. JD is what he is, but I really liked what I saw out of him at the end of his sophomore year at UP. Once his shot started to fall, he really became a good contributer. And he is definitely a pest on defense. Considering that the talent level in the Big Sky is a bit lower than in the WCC, I think that JD won't be as overmatched on the defensive end as he was at UP.

As for Tiefenthaler... well... he's a solid enough post player who gives size, rebounding, and an OK stroke. I bet he will be a solid perfomer, especially at PSU. Of course, he has to try and refrain from skipping class, getting in fights at parties, dropping people while they are doing keg stands and causing them serious eye injuries, but other than that... he'll be a player! Wink
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:55 am

I had forgotten about Alex. He showed a lot of promise if you ask me. He obviously had a good feel for the game, and some decent post moves for a frosh. Also, I really think JD will be able to distribute the ball well for PSU. Guys like Jones and Alex will love getting open looks from him.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down