Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots vs. Virginia Tech, Friday 11/20, Merlo Field

+33
mattywizz
jc
FSUfan
Harry Redknapp
KFTC
tootallref
MonkeyFan
FANatic
pms275
letsgopilots11
merlogirl
ohhh_yeah
purple haze
PurplePrideTrumpet
eProf
runner girl
DaTruRochin
PilotDrummer
SoreKnees
ShipstadPilot11
Poopdeck Pappy
fwill
PilotNut
onetouchfutbol
harryb
fan from afar
UPSoccerFanatic
Telionis
gnarly
A_Fan
Geezaldinho
ktinpurple
Stonehouse
37 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Pilots vs. Virginia Tech, Friday 11/20, Merlo Field - Page 4 Empty Re: Pilots vs. Virginia Tech, Friday 11/20, Merlo Field

Post by SoreKnees Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:09 pm

I'd rather have the home game ... and watch them go down in another 4-0 clinic!
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. Virginia Tech, Friday 11/20, Merlo Field - Page 4 Empty Re: Pilots vs. Virginia Tech, Friday 11/20, Merlo Field

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:13 pm

I don't give a hoot whether we play UCLA or not, as long as we advance.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:53 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:We have the frapuchinos and vegan wraps, then after the game some of us head out for the microbrews and maybe some Putine (cheese curds and Gravy) poured over some fries cooked in lard.

MMMM....
Are you saying you go down to Hawthorne for some Potato Champion, Geezer? Because I've been stopping there on the way home from pretty much every night game this season for fries or a pie from the pie cart.

MMMMMPotato Champion...
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:55 pm

Shhhh.... it's our secret.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:58 pm

I've driven by there countless times wondering if it was worth stopping in... Haha the Geez seal of approval is good enough for me...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Then you can go across the covered tent and get a great Pastrami and the best Egg Cream in town. .
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:02 pm

Back in the day when I had a girlfriend who was a University of Virginia graduate, I had a UVA shot glass with a line around it at the half-ounce mark for Hokies and a line at the 3-ounce mark for Virginia Gentlemen. Such a genteel way of showing disdain for an in-state rival. Pilots must definitely respect VT on Friday -- and pour out more shots.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Telionis Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:25 pm

purple haze wrote:Back in the day when I had a girlfriend who was a University of Virginia graduate, I had a UVA shot glass with a line around it at the half-ounce mark for Hokies and a line at the 3-ounce mark for Virginia Gentlemen. Such a genteel way of showing disdain for an in-state rival. Pilots must definitely respect VT on Friday -- and pour out more shots.

LOL. Most of mine are football specific, but maybe some can be modified for your use against Santa Clara...

Why is it that the UVA football team doesn't have a web site?
- They can't string three "Ws" together.

*Knock* *knock*
Who's there?
UVA.
UVA who?
Exactly!...

You know, UVA does do a really good job at teaching their students how to multitask.
- It must be pretty hard to walk around with your nose in the air and a stick up your butt at the same time?

What is the difference between UVA and Rice Crispies?
- Rice Crispies belong in a bowl.

When OJ was on the run, he should have hidden in Charlottesville, VA...
- That's the last place anyone would look for a football star.

How many UVA students does it take to change a light bulb?
- Just one: he holds it in place then waits for the world to revolve around him.
Telionis
Telionis
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Telionis Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:49 pm

Hey guys. How do they decide who gets to host the game? Does it just go by record? If for example, by some very good fortune we beat you, and UVA beats UCLA, where would the VT/UVA rematch be held?
Telionis
Telionis
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:59 pm

Good question. You don't get many unseeded teams playing each other in the late rounds. It might go by better record, but then again, the team with the better record has to apply to the NCAA to host, and the the NCAA has to be satisfied with the facilities at the host site. For example, they have sent USC on the road in spite of their high seed in the past because of their field.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:01 pm

Because you are a #3 seed and UVA is a #4, it should be at your place. Sometimes there is a facility issue or other conflict that forces a variance, as happened to USC a few years back, but the general rule is that the higher seed hosts in the 3rd and 4th rounds.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Telionis Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:10 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:For example, they have sent USC on the road in spite of their high seed in the past because of their field.

Goliath doesn't have good soccer facilities??? LMAO. Guess they spend it all on football.

What qualifies as a good field anyway? I assume the actual fields themselves are the same from high school to MLS (unless there is heavy rain, etc.), so I'm guessing you mean the stadium and media facilities???

http://www.hokiesports.com/wsoccer/thompsonfield.html

Sounds alright, but I have nothing to compare it too... I know Merlo Field holds almost 5,000, but then again, don't you also set NCAA records for attendance? Is our 2,500 person stadium tiny or average?

PortlandPilots.com wrote:Merlo Field’s 4,892-seat capacity was stretched to the limit and then some when 5,596 fans, then the largest crowd in United States women’s soccer history, turned out for a 1992 game between Portland and North Carolina.

Wow. Who won that game anyway, I can't believe your own website doesn't say!

Our attendance is usually between 500 and 900. Though at this year's BC game (they were #8, we were #16), we got only 204 fans... We only had 40 show up to one of the men's games... and all soccer games are free to the public. Sad

Last edited by Telionis on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Telionis
Telionis
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:18 pm

Telionis wrote:

Wow. Who won that game anyway, I can't believe your own website doesn't say!

UNC won that game something like 6-1. It was our first taste of big-time soccer. That was a really loaded UNC team--perhaps the best ever--with Mia Hamm and Kristine Lilly among others.

We've come a long way since then!
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by fwill Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:21 pm

Telionis wrote:
PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:.

What qualifies as a good field anyway? I assume the actual fields themselves are the same from high school to MLS (unless there is heavy rain, etc.), so I'm guessing you mean the stadium and media facilities???

Our attendance is usually between 500 and 900. Though at this year's BC game (they were #8, we were #16), we only got 204 fans... and everything but basketball and football is free admittance. Sad

Nah, there's a big variation in field quality. The worst is when we have to play on football or lacrosse turf fields with all the wrong markings everywhere. Field dimensions can also be odd, like Oregon State's really narrow field. Oh, and locker rooms are a biggie. It seems that a lot of other schools just put up tents next to the fields and that's where the teams spend half time.

We pay for soccer here. The funniest thing is seeing the scalpers selling tickets at the games, which is now pretty common. In 2005, our tourney game against Notre Dame sold out in 4 minutes. You've probably noticed that we are pretty serious about our women's soccer in Pilot country!
fwill
fwill
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Telionis Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:42 pm

SoreKnees wrote:with Mia Hamm and Kristine Lilly among others.

Lilly and Hamm were on the same collegiate team? Good God!!! They must have destroyed everyone.

I was just looking at the US national team roster... half of those players went to UNC. How do they manage to consistently recruit so many good players? Also, I'm embarrassed to admit that while reading said roster I just realized that the US has a professional women's soccer association (WPS).

fwill wrote: You've probably noticed that we are pretty serious about our women's soccer in Pilot country!

Indeed!!! Well if you beat us, I'll be pulling for you guys.

fwill wrote:Oh, and locker rooms are a biggie.

As I recall, when the NY Yankees came to play an exhibition against VT, they refused to use our baseball field's facilities, and instead were given the visitor's locker room at Lane Stadium (just across the street). Kind of embarrassing... seriously, how much could a good locker room cost, a few hundred grand?
Telionis
Telionis
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:51 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Shhhh.... it's our secret.

have you tried the food carts behind Prost? Wink
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by ktinpurple Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:18 pm

#1 rivalry: UCLA

I hate them so much! Traveled to UCLA a couple years ago for the quarter final round. They are the devil Twisted Evil

I would really love to beat them on their own field! That would be so satisfying. Can you tell I am good at holding a grudge?
ktinpurple
ktinpurple
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:07 pm

Telionis wrote:Hey guys. How do they decide who gets to host the game? Does it just go by record? If for example, by some very good fortune we beat you, and UVA beats UCLA, where would the VT/UVA rematch be held?

SoreKnees answer, shortly after your post, is the correct answer. Here's what the NCAA rules say, followed by an explanation of why the game would be at VT:

"To assist the committees in selecting sites, an evaluation will be made of institutional facilities to determine if they are acceptable for championship play.

"....

"In addition to the quality and availability of facilities, the Division I Women's Soccer Committee applies the selection criteria to assist in determining the host sites. Institutions who desire to host one or more rounds of the championship ... must complete the budget packet (online) by October 9.

"Neutral sites (i.e., off-campus sites or facilities not used during the regular season) are not permitted unless approved in advance by the Women's Soccer Committee.

"The Division I Women's Soccer Committee prefers for games to be played on grass fields 70 yards by 115 yards and larger, but will not preclude artificial turf (if approved by FIFA)."

What the last sentence refers to, which I gather will surprise you, is that not all soccer fields are the same size. There is a permissible range of sizes. That's one of the reasons home field advantage can be pretty important. USC did not host a quarter-final game the year they won the Championship because (1) their regular field did not meet the NCAA preferred size standard and (2) the LA Coliseum, which is their home football field, was not available.

So far as VT is concerned, I'm going to assume it has filed the necessary documents with the NCAA in order to permit it to host games. (I'm assuming the reason it was sent to Dayton for the first two rounds was the NCAA's travel rules, not that VT did not apply to host games.)

If my assumption is correct, then VT would get to host the game. The NCAA criteria resulted in VT being seeded, whereas UVA is not seeded. Since there would not be a travel rule issue (no air travel, under the NCAA's rules), this means VT would host.

However, it's hopefully all academic. We'd be happy for UVA to beat UCLA so the quarter-final round game could be here, but we'll be making so much noise Friday night that the other half of the equation won't be able to happen.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:54 pm

Really nice preview article from the Virginia Tech student newspaper. Check it out. The Hokies sound loose and confident... that always kind of scares me:

After defeating the No. 23 University of Dayton Flyers (16-1-6) last Sunday 3-1 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, the No. 17 Virginia Tech Women’s Soccer Team is ready for its next challenge.

“We’re really confident,” said junior forward Marika Gray, who scored three goals last weekend. “We’re just trying to work hard and keep going, and it’s awesome. We’re all excited and blessed to have the opportunity to be here.”

Having already made history by qualifying for back-to-back NCAA appearances, the Hokies have advanced to the Sweet 16 where Tech, the No. 3 seed in the UCLA bracket, will face the No. 2 seed, the University of Portland Pilots (20-1-0) on Friday night.

Portland has a long-standing tradition of excellence in the world of women’s soccer. This is their tenth-straight NCAA appearance and their tenth-straight Sweet 16.

“We play in the ACC, we play against the best teams – including two No. 1 seeds in the tournament – and seven out of eight teams in the Sweet 16,” said senior forward Emily Jukich. “I feel like that’s really prepared us for this and we definitely respect Portland and know that they’ll be a great opponent, but I don’t think we’re psyched out. We have a lot of confidence going in knowing that we’ve been prepared all season.”

The Pilots have outscored their opponents by a margin of 70 goals this season, scoring 78 and allowing just eight. They are also on a 13-game winning streak and have not lost a game at home all year.

“I think we just really need to focus on ourselves and the things that we can control,” said Head Coach Kelly Cagle. “In order for us to maintain our confidence, regardless of the opponent, we just focus on the things that we have control over and how we approach each game and the overall respect we have for each opponent only generates more motivation for us to play knowing that every game needs to be our best game.”

Against a team that averages 3.71 goals per game, the Hokies will need to rely heavily on their defensive core, led by sophomore goalkeeper Kristin Carden.

“I think it’s going to be challenging [to stop them defensively], but the way I see it, every goal has to go through your entire team,” Gray said. “We have to do our jobs up top, and if we do, hopefully we can come out with a shutout.”

In Tech’s last game against the Dayton Flyers, Carden finished with five key saves.

“She’s been playing really well in the postseason,” Jukich said of Carden. “She just seems to get stronger and stronger as we go on.”

Coming into the season, the Hokies’ main goal was to make it to their second straight NCAA tournament. Having done that and then some, they have had to reevaluate what more they want out of this season.

“We have tried to set goals as we went,” continued Jukich. “So our first goal was to make it to the NCAAs, and as we kept progressing, we kept setting new goals so we didn’t lose focus and didn’t think that it was okay just to make it.”

Coach Cagle agreed.

“We’ve actually reset goals three times this year,” Cagle said. “At the beginning of the year, our goal was to have back-to-back NCAA appearances and to try to create that tradition here. Once we did that, we reestablished our postseason goals and they’re actually now just game-by-game.”

So far this season, the Hokies have scored 44 goals while allowing 31. Compared with Portland’s goal differential, the Hokies seem to fall short.

Gray disagrees.

“I think it gives us a little bit more fire,” Gray said. “We are very much the underdogs coming in here, and I think it gives us that fire. You always want to be that team that can upset. They’re a very good team, and it’s probably a little bit intimidating, but I think that that intimidation and nervousness kind of help – we can channel that energy. I think it’s a good opportunity and it’s going to be a good game.”

The Hokies return to action to face the Pilots on Friday night in Portland, Ore. Game time is set for 7:30pm and the game will be televised on Comcast Sportsnet Northwest.

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/14718/womens-soccer-team-ready-for-next-challenge
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:01 pm

Stonehouse wrote:

This season, the Hokies have scored 44 goals while allowing 35.

fixed your post.

We always win 4-nil. Goal Celebration!
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. Virginia Tech, Friday 11/20, Merlo Field - Page 4 Empty Pie and the Pilots

Post by merlogirl Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:57 am

The pre-game coverage from Aaron: http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2009/11/pilots_womens_soccer_team_set.html

Mostly what we know already, though I find it particularily interesting that their top scorer has ten goals, with two other players having made 9 goals this season. If we've gone over that already I missed it.

I'm starting to look forward to watching the Thanksgiving weekend game. More than I'm looking forward to pumpkin pie--which is saying a lot.

merlogirl
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by letsgopilots11 Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:38 am

I'm very excited for this game- I might just have to wake up for it (being 9 hours ahead does not help out big time Pilot soccer fans...)

letsgopilots11
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by pms275 Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:41 am

While VT does sound confident and loose, I still think that the atmosphere at Merlo is going to be the wild card. They haven't experienced Portland soccer yet. Smile

We'll see how well they handle that, especially in the first 10 to 15 minutes. That being said, I expect a close match.
pms275
pms275
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by fwill Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:10 am

VT wants to shut out UP at home. When was the last time UP was shut out at Merlo? Against UNC several years ago? My memory is a bit foggy, but that might be because shutouts don't happen very often to UP.
fwill
fwill
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:44 am

Telionis,

Maybe it's because of your football reputation...I don't know. But you guys scare the holy bejeebers out of me.

Let's get this game on. Let's settle it. (So we can pack for a trip to Los Angeles next week-end.)
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next