Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots vs. Virginia Tech, Friday 11/20, Merlo Field

+33
mattywizz
jc
FSUfan
Harry Redknapp
KFTC
tootallref
MonkeyFan
FANatic
pms275
letsgopilots11
merlogirl
ohhh_yeah
purple haze
PurplePrideTrumpet
eProf
runner girl
DaTruRochin
PilotDrummer
SoreKnees
ShipstadPilot11
Poopdeck Pappy
fwill
PilotNut
onetouchfutbol
harryb
fan from afar
UPSoccerFanatic
Telionis
gnarly
A_Fan
Geezaldinho
ktinpurple
Stonehouse
37 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Pilots vs. Virginia Tech, Friday 11/20, Merlo Field - Page 6 Empty Re: Pilots vs. Virginia Tech, Friday 11/20, Merlo Field

Post by fan from afar Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:55 am

fwill wrote:It was a pleasure having you in the Pilot Nation, Telionis. Come back and visit us again real soon!

Ditto, Telionis. Stay in touch!!
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. Virginia Tech, Friday 11/20, Merlo Field - Page 6 Empty Re: Pilots vs. Virginia Tech, Friday 11/20, Merlo Field

Post by ohhh_yeah Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:44 am

Yahoo!

Pilots vs. Virginia Tech, Friday 11/20, Merlo Field - Page 6 4121677493_246088193b

Pilots vs. Virginia Tech, Friday 11/20, Merlo Field - Page 6 4122448176_62422acb90

Pilots vs. Virginia Tech, Friday 11/20, Merlo Field - Page 6 4122447262_e583bd5180

Goal Celebration!

Last edited by ohhh_yeah on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:34 am

The first half against VT was the most explosive stretch of Pilots playoff soccer I can recall since ... (dramatic pause) beating UCLA for the title! 4 goals from Dani and Kendra was awesome. 4 goals on 7 shots -- that's shooting a high percentage. To coin a term, it was Sinclairian. The confidence and finess with which Pilots closed out the game also shows how they are growing even from one game to the next. Versus Huskies, the Pilots game up a corner and a free kick in the last minute -- not good! Last night they owned the ball, possessed it, played the keepaway game, dribbled deep into the VT corner and never gave a chance for Hokies to get back in it. Some of the newest Pilots were in on that savvy time management -- Kendall, Taylor and Elinor. Pilots look strong now and show a great future as well. What a great home season wrap-up for the fans and the team.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by runner girl Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:40 am

Did anyone watch the game on tv? The filming might have been the worst I've ever seen for a soccer game. Have they never seen a soccer game before? They were constantly switching cameras so that it was difficult to keep track of which way each team was going, shooting from way too close in, keeping a close up on a player after the ball had long since been passed off. It was almost worse than not seeing it at all.

As for the game itself, it was pretty awesome. I will be thrilled if the Pilots take this level of play down to UCLA. If they do, the Pilots will clean their clocks!

runner girl
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by runner girl Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:42 am

Oh yeah, and all of the outside Pilots owned their VT counterparts. Not that the middle wasn't great too, but it was just so blatant whenever the ball went outside.

runner girl
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by FSUfan Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:12 am

Cheers on the great win, it looks like the Pilots came out with their hair on fire and VT never knew what hit them. Well done!

FSUfan
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:27 am

Lots of great performances in white last night, and Kendra should be national player of the week with two goals and two assists. But I'd like to give special kudos to Kendall Johnson. VT's #14 was trying to mark her in the first half, but Kendall beat her three times in a row down the left side sending in dangerous crosses. Next thing you know, there's a sub waiting for #14! The replacement did a little better, but Kendall was truly dangerous all night running up the touch line and, as always, was back in the mix on defense as well.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by pms275 Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:31 am

Agreed on Kendall. The VT fans behind us were shocked to find out she was a freshman. She's going to be a blast to watch over the next several years. Loved the standing ovation she got when coming off the field in the 2nd half.
pms275
pms275
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by jc Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:10 pm

VT appeared to be playing 3-4-3 at least most of the time. They did better holding possession mid-field than some others we've faced, but what they gave up was apparent in how Kendra and Kendall dominated the wings. It takes a double-team to stop either consistently and VT simply didn't have the numbers back on several Portland runs.
jc
jc
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:25 pm

Agree about the VT midfield. We were not able to completely dominate the middle like we usually do, but Keelin and Sophie still had nice games. It's nice having attacking threats on the outside as well as inside.

Question: After VT's goal the Pilots just took the kickoff and knocked it all the way down for a goal kick. Did they do that because they felt they had a better chance of gaining the ball and setting up an attack off a goal kick?
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:31 pm

I noticed this pattern of sending long balls on kickoffs in other recent games as well. When Michelle was racing on the sideline it seemed plausible to sneak a quick scoring opportunity, but in the playoffs it has usually just meant a turnover. I wonder if they'll change this strategy and opt for possession from the start.

Hopefully we'll only have one more kickoff per game the rest of the way!
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:07 pm

Are they long balls...or are they just trying to send a through ball? A through ball is a pretty traditional start to a game for an attacking team. Little league and professional teams do that all the time. Cross the mid-field line, tap back to the half back, who kicks a through ball to the attacking forward. Losing one possession in the beginning rarely affects a whole game. It seems pretty low risk to me...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:34 pm

If the opposing team was all lined up at the half-line for the kickoff then you could call it a through ball. But I doubt anyone would do that.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:48 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:Agree about the VT midfield. We were not able to completely dominate the middle like we usually do, but Keelin and Sophie still had nice games. It's nice having attacking threats on the outside as well as inside.

I thought Sophie had an outstanding game. Very active both offensively and defensively.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:51 pm

Both last night and especially the Washington game Sophie looked a like an attacking/holding mid hybrid. I love her work rate.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:28 pm

Here's what I'm wondering about:

Did Geez aim any projectiles at the VT bench? If so, was he doing the "Hokey Pokey"? Evil or Very Mad

Sorry, I couldn't resist...
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:35 pm

SoreKnees wrote:Here's what I'm wondering about:

Did Geez aim any projectiles at the VT bench? If so, was he doing the "Hokey Pokey"? Evil or Very Mad

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

There is no evidence even one pokie made it on the field silent
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:22 pm

Regarding the long kicks off the kickoff, I think Sophie, who hit that one, was trying to put it over the touch line deep in the corner so that VT would have to start the play with a throw in from deep in their defensive zone. If someone gets up the wing and can get to the ball, all the better. But, on this particular one, it was too deep and not enough to the side, so VT ended up with a gk. I think a mix of starting that way and giving it to a player to dribble down the field as Enyeart did is the way to do it. If I recall correctly, last weekend the Pilots did both.

Last edited by UPSoccerFanatic on Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:32 pm

Playing the devil's advocate for a second regarding the long balls, do you think that Garrett was just trying to create some chaos on their side of the field since they have a somewhat faulty defense and have given up a lot of goals this season? In a perfect world it would be nice to dominate possession time, but, in the end it's tough to argue with the result of the game.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:04 pm

both watched the game live an then re-watched on the dvr when i got home. watching the game live, i really thought dani, kendra an sophie were the 'stars' of the game in no particular order. watching the game again at home, i didnt notice how good kendall was in the game. during the game i appreciated her defensive efforts, but didnt truly realize how good she actually was offensively.
also, watching the game live, i noticed that michelle e wast around an wondered why. learned during the broadcast that she had her surgery this week an went home to cali to rehab. pretty sure we will see her at the ucla game.. just a hunch.
lastly, caomcast did a feature on kelsey. her trials an tribulations, especially this past year. again, i have to save that im stunned at how soft spoken kelsey actually is after listening to her 'bark' at her teammates these last three years. an i mean that in the nicest terms. she's a real jekyll an hyde alright!

love this team!! goooooo pilots!
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:47 pm

Just noticed: This is the most viewed ever thread on PilotNation!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:33 am

For those with cable who did not record the game: I just checked the schedule for Comcast Sports NW and I see "Women's College Soccer : NCAA Tournament: Portland vs. Virginia Tech" listed at 4:30 p.m. today. That's channel 37 here in Portland. I want to see the 4-goal explosion in the first half again!
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:18 pm

If nothing else I want to see Kendra's first goal again because it was a crazy burst with Sophie's shot, Dani's header, and then Kendra's finish.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:37 pm

Harry Redknapp wrote:If nothing else I want to see Kendra's first goal again because it was a crazy burst with Sophie's shot, Dani's header, and then Kendra's finish.

Your wish is granted

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by letsgopilots11 Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:17 pm

magic. thank you UP sports marketing

letsgopilots11
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-11-06

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next