Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots vs. Virginia Tech, Friday 11/20, Merlo Field

+33
mattywizz
jc
FSUfan
Harry Redknapp
KFTC
tootallref
MonkeyFan
FANatic
pms275
letsgopilots11
merlogirl
ohhh_yeah
purple haze
PurplePrideTrumpet
eProf
runner girl
DaTruRochin
PilotDrummer
SoreKnees
ShipstadPilot11
Poopdeck Pappy
fwill
PilotNut
onetouchfutbol
harryb
fan from afar
UPSoccerFanatic
Telionis
gnarly
A_Fan
Geezaldinho
ktinpurple
Stonehouse
37 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Pilots vs. Virginia Tech, Friday 11/20, Merlo Field - Page 5 Empty Re: Pilots vs. Virginia Tech, Friday 11/20, Merlo Field

Post by fan from afar Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:45 am

fwill wrote:VT wants to shut out UP at home. When was the last time UP was shut out at Merlo? Against UNC several years ago? My memory is a bit foggy, but that might be because shutouts don't happen very often to UP.

I think I'm right about this:

UCLA last year - we lost 1-0. It was the weekend of my annual trip to Portland. We dominated possession pretty well without scoring, and Cheney scored late on a breakaway. Two days later, we also got shut out in regulation by USC but scored in overtime to win 1-0. I think Sophie scored.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. Virginia Tech, Friday 11/20, Merlo Field - Page 5 Empty Re: Pilots vs. Virginia Tech, Friday 11/20, Merlo Field

Post by fwill Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:59 am

Yeah, but that was in LA, not at Merlo. So when was the last time UP was shut out at home?
fwill
fwill
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by harryb Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:17 am

It was the home opener, the only game we lost last year (until the quarterfinals).
http://www.portlandpilots.com/news/2008/8/31/WSOC_0831081624.aspx?path=wsoc
harryb
harryb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:01 pm

To clarify - We lost the home opener last year 1-0 to UCLA on a late goal by Cheney.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyFan Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:28 pm

Check out this link on this years "Dynamic Duo's" in college women's soccer. http://www.collegesoccer360.com/dynamic_duos.html

The irony is that the picture shown of Dani is her getting flagerently tripped (no call) on the way to an open net in the UCLA game last year. It would have been the equalizer and changed the complexion of the rest of the match. Both of the goalies hands are reaching back to tackle her.

MonkeyFan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-10-02

http://www.mrboulder.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fwill Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:02 pm

Hmm, that makes me like UCLA even less - not that I liked them much to start with!
fwill
fwill
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:23 pm

That's a pretty broad interpretation of that photo.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. Virginia Tech, Friday 11/20, Merlo Field - Page 5 Empty Trip not called at UCLA..

Post by tootallref Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:58 pm

Hi, All.
Great website.. gotta love it! No flame wars!

Re: comment about Dani getting tripped at UCLA. Notice that that "call" was the opposite of the phantom foul call against Cori for the quarters in 2007. Much review of the available video shows clearly no contact, but as the UCLA player jumped over Cori, she pulled up her legs, knees to chest and landed on the ground, sliding on her knees, arms in the air. As it was a break away, the ref was just getting to the center circle to make the call. Maybe the video is still on the web? To the UCLA forward, not sure who it was, but she didn't "flop" and my comment is in no way meant to imply that.

To make a long story short, PK called, and knocked in for the winning goal.

Also of interest to note, as soon as they went up by one, someone from the UCLA bench went around and pulled the ball-girls from the sidelines. So every ball kicked out had to be chased by UP, taking up a lot of time.. (Ooops, must have been a mistake!)...

Take it to Texas, UP, seems you get a bit better officiating!

tootallref
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2007-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by ktinpurple Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:49 pm

Okay... This is the game I was at. This game was very physical and, boy, those UCLA players were great at shoving, pulling, tackling, holding, tripping, ect... all missed by the ref (it appeared that they are trained that way). They are the devil!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku5OHbpY5_Q
ktinpurple
ktinpurple
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:19 pm

Yeah, the foul on Enyeart looks pretty blatant and obvious in that video. I guess the lessons of the game though are to play through fouls. Honestly, our national championship teams committed a fair number of fouls too and played very physical. We should be able to compete with anyone in rainy conditions.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ktinpurple Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:30 pm

Yeah, but they broke my heart that day. Let's get them this year!
ktinpurple
ktinpurple
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:35 pm

... not to overlook VT or anything... Smile
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:15 pm

The irony is that the picture shown of Dani is her getting flagerently tripped (no call) on the way to an open net in the UCLA game last year. It would have been the equalizer and changed the complexion of the rest of the match. Both of the goalies hands are reaching back to tackle her.

It isn't from the UCLA game because a) those are this year's uniforms, and b) UCLA is an adidas school and the goalkeeper is wearing Nike gloves. Can't tell which game it's from. No reason getting riled up for UCLA yet when we still have to beat Virginia Tech and they still have to beat Virginia.
KFTC
KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2007-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:38 pm

MonkeyFan wrote:Check out this link on this years "Dynamic Duo's" in college women's soccer. http://www.collegesoccer360.com/dynamic_duos.html

Nope.

That's the San Francisco keeper, and Dani wasn't taken down, she scored on the play. You can see it on this clip at about the 1 minute mark.
You can even see the guy on the sideline who took the still photo.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyFan Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:40 pm

You are right, google images shows we were in white against UCLA last year. I will do better research next time. Someone posted a picture shortly after the game and I thought that was it. Time to focus on VT anyway I guess.

MonkeyFan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-10-02

http://www.mrboulder.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:01 pm

Alright, Pilots: Gametime. Let's do this!
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:15 pm

Wow. 4-1 Pilots at the half. I guess I'll eat my words that this one could go to a shoot out. How about Kendra getting it done!
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Telionis Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:21 pm

FANatic wrote:Telionis,

Maybe it's because of your football reputation...I don't know. But you guys scare the holy bejeebers out of me.

Really? We do supposedly have the most aggressive / loudest stadium in football. Not so much with soccer. But hopefully, doing reasonably well the last two years, we'll get some better recruits and have an even stronger program next year.

Ladies and Gentlemen of Portland, I salute you!

Your team is clearly a great team. Go kick UCLA's ass!!!
Telionis
Telionis
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by fwill Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:32 pm

It was a pleasure having you in the Pilot Nation, Telionis. Come back and visit us again real soon!
fwill
fwill
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:11 pm

It was the Kendra Chandhoke show tonight folks. Kendra made two goals for Dani with excellent one touch passes that split the defense and Dani finished with authority. And she scored two as well - one from a lovely feed from Sophie and the other from a series of efforts on the VT goals - two of which were scrambled out before Kendra finished it off. Nice night for her after what has been an amazing season. She runs and runs and runs. And is the most graceful player on the field.

Pilots got just what we wanted - an early goal, Kendra to Dani before 5 minutes were on the clock. But for the second week in a row thwey gave upa goal within 60 seconds. Elli lost the ball on the edge of the box, and the VT player turnerd Megan and finished into the far corner.

Unlike last week UP got back ahead relatively soon. And VT did not pose much more of a danger.

Jess and Elli played well. Megan and MO did not have as much to do. Keelin was tough in the middle. Kendall had a good game. Charney was tidy. Sophie is awesome and Dani is not only the fox in the box but continues tio show a strong all around game.

Slight scare late on when hallie went down and limped off buit she appeared to eb OK minutes later and was moving freely on the sidelines.

Last game at Merlo for Kelsey and Megan. Both have had great careers.

UCLA next week. Let's hope we can break the QF jinx.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by gnarly Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:27 pm

Write-up on the VT site

http://www.hokiesports.com/wsoccer/recaps/20091121aaa.html

gnarly
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by pms275 Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:34 pm

I was mildly amused that the loud and somewhat obnoxious VT cheering section in the row right behind us got quiet in a hurry. But, I believe they were also members of the Timbers Army, so at least they knew their soccer--even if they didn't know their own players. Shocked
pms275
pms275
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:49 pm

When we were getting ready to kick off at the start of the match, Dani and Sophie were smiling at each other so confidently, and they seemed so relaxed.

I learned something critically important about the Pilots right then and there. This team has a very strong chance at all the marbles this season.

Talent + Tournament Experience + Momentum = The Big Deal! Twisted Evil
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by harryb Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:50 pm

If Kendra gets a goal next week, we'll have 5 players with 10+ goals. Nobody else has more than 2.
harryb
harryb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:05 pm

pms268 wrote:I was mildly amused that the loud and somewhat obnoxious VT cheering section in the row right behind us got quiet in a hurry. But, I believe they were also members of the Timbers Army, so at least they knew their soccer--even if they didn't know their own players. Shocked
WHAT WHAT WHAT?

I was not aware any TA were VT fans. I suppose it's possible.

There were 7 TA in my group on the far side, suppporting the Pilots as we have always done.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next