Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

spring training

+14
PilotNut
aleppiek
ninjapizza
Harry Redknapp
SoreKnees
FANatic
GUPhantom
UPWomenSoccerRookie
A_Fan
UPSoccerFanatic
KFTC
Stonehouse
Geezaldinho
fozziewozzie
18 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

spring training - Page 2 Empty Re: spring training

Post by SoreKnees Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:13 pm

Michelle Olivier seems like a sure starter in the back if she's as good as advertised. Inside or outside?

Beyond that, it seems like the Pilots have three players whose best position is holding midfield: Keelin (who took control of the spot last year), Sophie (who never looked quite comfortable to me up front), and Sara Jackman (who looked good early before losing the spot to Keelin). Would it seem reasonable to expect one or two of those players to compete with Kristen Kelly and Kori Nicholson for a spot as inside back?
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:25 pm

The first question is who'll be around for the 2008 season? Will Michelle, Ellie, Keelin and Sophie all be away for the U-20 World Cup? That's potentially 4 starters who could be absent....it's hard to "phantom" how the Pilots would do without them.

But, excluding any surprise walk-ons or transfers Garrett may bring it...there'll be many opportunities for the reserves and the incoming freshmen to fill in!

UPSF...I agree. The center back line spots are open. I think Jessica Tsao and Megan Sweeney have proven themselves on the outside. They're quick and consistent. The only missing attribute I see with them is size. But they're smart players and seem to stay organized with other teammates on defense. What we're missing in Central defense is SPEED!! I think the size is there with Kori and Kristen....but like you...I did notice too that SPU seemed to challenge and pressure the middle of our defensive line. There were a couple of runs up the middle by SPU forwards which left me with some trepidation! It'll be interesting to see how threats from bigger, faster and more skillful forwards are managed. We were killed last year by UCLA up the middle...remember Cheney's and Adam's runs?

In looking at the incoming 2008 class....I'm thinking that a couple of them may fill the spots in the middle back line...McCluskie, Oliver and Foxhoven anyone?

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:34 pm

KFTC...you're killing me? Ok...I'll bite and ask? How about a hint? Late August arrival...Are you saying post-Olympics? Must be an international player? Another Canadian National? Or maybe a transfer? Who and where from? Hmmmmm??? Question
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:16 pm

Starting XI in the fall is wide open right now because of three major questions:

Will Enyeart, Reed, Winters, and Schmidt be available or will they redshirt because of U20 World Cup? Schmidt's status is more uncertain because I'm not sure if she's still playing U20 or if Canada have or will qualify.

Will Megan and/or Rachel Rapinoe be fit? Megan was kicking the ball about in warm-ups yesterday, but neither of the sisters played.

How many recruits do we have and how good are they? Five names have been most spoken of: Michelle Olivier, Charney Burk, Danielle Foxhoven, Kassandra McCluskie, Hallie Kreminski.

We've got two very good goalkeepers. No problem there. After that it's all a bit speculative.

Megan Sweeney looks very strong at RB. Jessica Tsao was very good at the end of last season: can she play LB or does she move to MF. Korie Nicholson and Kristen Kelly are playing CB in spring: jury is out on both of them. Olivier is a national team CB. Sara Jackman has the size to play back there. McCluskie is listed as a defender. Reed has looked fabulous at LB but may not be playing. Schmidt could be great at CB alongside Olivier but ditto.

Kendra Chandhoke is playing on the right in MF in spring; she's not seeing the ball as much as she'd like but she tackles back and fights for everything. Winters is looking marvelous as the holding MF but ... Jackman is a level below Winters. Burk and Foxhoven are both hightly regarded and maybe Tsao plays MF. Megan R would be automatic choice at the point of the diamond if she's healthy.

At forward it's anybody's guess. Enyeart is brilliant but will she be playing. Rachel R would be starter if she's back to full fitness. Janelle Jacka is playing in spring but is a step off the game if we're honest. Schmidt? Tsao?

Not sure where Kreminski plays.

So if everyone 's here and fit we could have:

Davis/DeYoung; Sweeney, Olivier, Schmidt, Reed; Foxhoven/Chandhoke, Winters, M. Rapinoe, Burk; R. Rapinoe, Enyeart. With Tsao, Chandhoke/Foxhoven, Jackman, Nicholson ,Kelly, Kreminski, McCluskie, Jacka off the bench. That's a heck of a team!

Or worst case:

Davis/DeYoung; Sweeney, Olivier, Nicholson/Kelly, McCluskie; Kreminski, Tsao, Jackman, Burk; Chandhoke, Foxhoven.

Or any combination of the above!!!
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:55 pm

KFTC, since you seem to have the information on this one, how much should we speculate about who the mystery newcomer might be? If the Pilots are keeping a very tight lid on it, if one of us has an educated guess, should we avoid making it in public? The Pilots must have their reasons for keeping this confidential, so if they're good reasons, I wouldn't want to be one to figure it out and make the information public and upset their plans. Of course, it would be fun for all of us to try figure it out, and some of us might actually come up with the right guess, but maybe we should just let it be. Any guidance? Evil or Very Mad
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjapizza Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:16 pm

Is the big secret the reason why there hasn't been a formal announcement of incoming freshmen? It seems like the Pilots are the very last school to announce it every year. People have waited for Godot less than we've waited for these releases.
ninjapizza
ninjapizza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:23 pm

NP - good to see you posting. It seems Garrett is never in a hurry to introduce the upcoming season's new recruits. I think he is a quiet and patient kind of guy, at least with the public. Nothing wrong with that. Probably just a comfort level thing.

In KFTC's first posting of the "rumblings" of a possible new recruit, she may have given us a few important clues. (Yes, I do have my Sherlock Holmes hat on and am smoking a pipe that hangs down about as far as my scraggly beard)! farao Let's first look at the quote "potential recruiting coup". (I am using KFTC's exact quotes from her first mention of this issue on the previous page of this thread.) The word recruiting to me implies an incoming freshman. Could mean something else, but I'm going with incoming freshman until I hear otherwise. (Watson, stop tickling my feet!!!)

The word "coup" may imply that she had already committed to another school, changed her mind, and somehow got the school she signed with to let her out of her letter of intent. Coming here in late August is obviously a reference to her being on a senior women's Olympic team in the summer Olympics being played in China this coming August. And the word "potential", I should say, means that it ain't completely done! However, the "feel", if you will, of this post and a later mention in a post to UPSF, is very much one of muted excitement. And I trust, real EXCITEMENT.

Simply put, (I am running out of gas - and you know how expensive gas is nowadays), this player is one the top players in her country. Period. A genuine monster, right KFTC? Yea, that's what I thought! Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:11 am

I am a little stunned that all of you with your superb web-crawling skills haven't honed in on this, though I am giving Geezer a pass because I understand he is out of town?!? (But then again, since I heard by word of mouth, then maybe it's not so public) To answer your questions, I'm not exactly sure how "mum" this is; I just know that NO ONE is talking about it for one reason or another...it may be that it's not set in stone yet, it may be because it is set in stone and there's going to be some super-duper press conference. Whatever the case may be, it has to be slightly public at this point, because this popped up this morning on one of my feeds.

http://sambafutebol.blogspot.com/

There's an English translation link on the right side. Have at it.
KFTC
KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2007-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:28 am

I couldn't find the translation, but I got the gist. Wow and double Wow if it is true.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:00 pm

Let's see if I can copy and paste from the link:

Marta makes examination of a new road

Announced Marta Veira Da Silva of Villa in DoisRiachos, province of Alagoas that would put its game of club Umeå IK of Swedenon the hold to pursue a medical career. Marta decided itself to register in the University of the Portland School of the Nurses, in Oregon U.S.A. and game for the team of the soccer of its women of the college when she will be there. The players of the women in Brazil are not paid because he does not consider them to be professional for FIFA standards, it are still one amateur; also Marta refused of a payment in Sweden in the hopes to play the soccer of the College in U.S.A.

“For me, it is perfect” said. ” I have that to think on what I will make when my career about the soccer he is finished. In the end, it is only a game, and I have already 22 years old. I have that one to decide what to make when I changed myself to the mature adult one. I have years of the remaining eligibility of NCAA. The University of Portland will allow that she pursues a degree the nurses it still plays and it to the soccer in the most raised level. The nurses are lacking in the forests of Brazil, This way I will be able to give my country. Portland is perfect for me. They are always in the high one of the NCAA, I came to love trees of the fir since that I moved myself for Sweden, and I hear that windsurfing in the Gorge of the River Colombia is fantastic. “

Marta said that she has become good friends with striker Michelle Enyeart of the University of Portland when ones against the others in the national level of the team of youth had played. “I really Love Michelle” Marta I was cited,” Michelle to make one imitation really good of the Jimmy Stewart that makes I laugh in the wooden floor. We love buying the together clothes ", in we explain, “I we are trying to convince my cousin, Cristiane, (Cristiane Rozeira de Souza.Silva, also in the national team) to also come there.” When asked if its English he will be good sufficient to study the medicine, answered to “¿ Why not? The Operas of the Soap are the love of the Brazilians. The General Hospital is my favourite program. Me It is helped really with medical terms.”

When contacted, Directór-Technician Garrett Smith of the Portland refused the commentary, citing NCAA regulations hinders that he speaks on conscripts in this time. “the NCAA regulators are very strict, and I do not only want to risk to start in the problem. I will only say that the future of the “Soccer” of Portland, (the way is called in this nation) is very shining”.

Marta will start studies in September after the Olimpicos Games.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjapizza Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:02 pm

God Bless Michelle Enyeart.
ninjapizza
ninjapizza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:10 pm

All I can say is OH MY GOODNESS!
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:11 pm

Holy Cow! Shocked

If this is true.... WOW! WOW! WOW!

This would be huge.... we already have an amazing following... adding Marta to the mix would be incredible, and one of the biggest coups in U of P and NCAA soccer history...

I am going to try to control my excitement, as this is just an internet rumor at this point... but Garrett's quote is very telling, even though he cant tell us anything!!

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:20 pm

So... I have a question for those of you who know the compliance issues better than myself. How would she possibly be eligible? doesn't she have endorsements? Hasn't she been playing Pro in Sweden?
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjapizza Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:32 pm

From the translation of the post:
"The players of the women in Brazil are not paid because he does not consider them to be professional for FIFA standards, it are still one amateur; also Marta refused of a payment in Sweden in the hopes to play the soccer of the College in U.S.A."

If this is true, it was her plan from the beginning to play for a college in the states. (It's curious as to why we had not heard about this before now, though.) And it somewhat explains why she doesn't have a shoe model yet. I thought she was sponsored by Puma at one point, but I guess not?

Then again... it IS April 1st and we've probably all been had. Google is less mean! In the words of Tina Fey, "You MONSTER! Why are you like this?!"
ninjapizza
ninjapizza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:42 pm

I didn't even think of it being April 1st... I am not so confident/excited as I was 20 mins ago Smile
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjapizza Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:45 pm

No kidding. It took me awhile. A good one, but so cruel.

The only thing I would take more seriously is a So You Think You Can Dance cancellation rumor.
ninjapizza
ninjapizza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:50 pm

But KFTC did start talking about this several days ago, so unless KFTC is fluent in portugese it may be legit after all, if it is a prank I think KFTC is going to have some grumpy folks around here:) J/k
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:53 pm

Can you imagine the other WCC schools reaction when the press release goes public... bearing in mind this could all be a cruel cruel prank. Between Marta and this quote “I we are trying to convince my cousin, Cristiane, (Cristiane Rozeira de Souza.Silva, also in the national team) to also come there.”

I can hear Jerry Smith banging his head against a wall from here.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:48 pm

If you google Marta Viera Da Silva, you will get to her website, which has nothing about this. Happy April 1, I guess!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:54 pm

UPSF, I'm taking your tack on this. Considering what day it is, I'll take it with a grain of salt. Of course, who would make up a joke like that, especially naming Enyeart and Smith?

Then again, there were some rumblings about a big player coming in before today.

Still... I can't even begin to say how incredibly, amazingly, wonderfully HUGE that would be. Oh my gosh... I can't even imagine it!!!!!!!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:58 pm

Hmmmmm......... look at the page closely. I'm saying this is a terrific (and cruel) April Fool's Joke.

http://sambafutebol.blogspot.com/

Smile

Nice one!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:03 pm

Well played, I fell in hook, line & sinker! cheers

I was all excited, now i am kinda depressed. Rolling Eyes

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:07 pm

What did I miss on the page?

Nevermind... got it
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by SciFi Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:39 pm

Not sure what you are seeing. . . would somebody be willing to point it out to those of us who are less observant? scratch Suspect

-SciFi

spring training - Page 2 Header10
SciFi
SciFi
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 313

http://pilotfans.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next