Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA

+5
Sound Voltex
wrv
ExpatPilot
Oldguyfan
DoubleDipper
9 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA

Post by up7587 Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:21 pm

PU had 5 players in double figures, and got 16 points off the bench, to beat LMU 72-63. I think this means the Pilots are not going to get any help finishing 7th or better, and will probably need to win 3 of the last 5 games to avoid the 8-9 game.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA

Post by up7587 Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:13 pm

Winless UOP led USD early and played them close all the way, but USD got their 5th conference win, 2 more than LMU, PU and UP.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:38 pm

up7587 wrote:PU had 5 players in double figures, and got 16 points off the bench, to beat LMU 72-63.  I think this means the Pilots are not going to get any help finishing 7th or better, and will probably need to win 3 of the last 5 games to avoid the 8-9 game.

I think the winner of Pilots/Pepperdine gets 7th.

A win there puts UP at 4 wins with the tiebreak over Pepperdine.

Pepperdine would beat Pacific to get up to 4, but then would have to beat USF away or SMC home or away to come up with the 5th. Tall order.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1777
Location : SK
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA

Post by up7587 Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:09 pm

SCU went to USF and had a 19-0 run in the first half after being tied 14-all. They lead by 10 at half, and still led by 8 with 3 minutes to go. Up 2 with 12 seconds to go, SCU turned it over on a USF steal, and fouled. USF made the first FT, but missed the second. USF got the offensive rebound, missed, got another offensive rebound, and SCU fouled with 1 second left. USF made both FTs to take a 1 point lead, their first lead since 12:38 of the first half, and got the win. USF moves to 9-2 in WCC play, 1/2 game ahead of GU. SCU fans are crying about missing 7 of their 20 FTs and letting one get away.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA

Post by up7587 Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:53 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:
up7587 wrote:And only a 16% chance of attaining the #7 seed and avoiding the Thursday play-in game, which is at 2:30pm, before the few fans even get to LV.

https://bboilercbb.github.io/conferences/WCC/index.html

Up to 40% chance of getting the 7 seed!

Chances to avoid the play-in game have plummeted. 6% chance of 6th seed, 6% chance of 7th seed, and 88% chance of 8th.

GU up next.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA

Post by up7587 Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:14 pm

SMC lost their F Jefferson to injury recently, and played USF tonight in Moraga. The Dons led by 4 late in the 2nd half, but SMC closed strong and won 70-66.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA

Post by up7587 Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:46 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Pilots picked to finish 6th and Tyler Robertson selected to the All-WCC Preseason Team.

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2023/10/12/mens-basketball-robertson-garners-preseason-all-wcc-recognition.aspx

2023-24 WCC Men's Basketball Preseason Coaches Poll
Team (first-place votes) points

1. Saint Mary's – (5) 61
2. Gonzaga – (4) 60
3. San Francisco - 45
4. LMU - 42
5. Santa Clara - 41
6. Portland - 27
7. Pepperdine - 22
8. Pacific - 16
9. San Diego - 10

As the season nears the end, let's look at the preseason predictions. Top three right on. LMU has struggled, currently 7th, so -3. SCU is 4th, +1. Pilots are 8th, -2. PU is +1. UOP is -1. And USD is 5th, +4. Basically, USD is the surprise team better than thought, and LMU and UP have underperformed.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA

Post by up7587 Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:21 pm

Former Pilots updated news:
Moses Wood has played all 26 games for UW, averaging 32.7 minutes with 11.8 points and 4.6 rebounds. He's taken the most 3P shots for UW, hitting 38.2%. UW is in 10th place in the Pac-12 at 6-9, and 14-12 overall.
Mike Meadows has played 17 games for St. Louis, last on 01/30. Injured? He's averaged 25 minutes and scored 5.7 points per game when he 's played.
Chika Nduka has played every game for Montana St, averaging 15 minutes and scoring 3.8 points with 1.7 rebounds.
Alden Applewhite has played in 17 games for Murray St., averaging 4.9 ppg and 2.7 rpg.  He missed the first 10 games, and played in all since 12/18, so maybe a delayed transfer eligibilty approval?
Wyall Lowell at Chaminade has appeared in 22 of 27 games, starting 15. He's averaged 20.9 minutes, 7.3 points, and 3.4 rebounds.
Jarrett Bryant has played in all 24 games at Westmont, starting in 20 and averaging 29.0 minutes, 10.1 points and 4.5 rebounds.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2021-06-10

DoubleDipper, Dean Murdoch and badcoverage like this post

Back to top Go down

2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA

Post by up7587 Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:27 pm

And Kristian Sjolund moved from Beyreuth in Germany to Karhubasket in Finland in January. He's averaging around 17 mpg, 8 ppg and 3 rpg.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:36 am

up7587 wrote:Chances to avoid the play-in game have plummeted. 6% chance of 6th seed, 6% chance of 7th seed, and 88% chance of 8th.

And with it, my chances of going to Vegas. Would have considered making it work if the Pilots were 6th or 7th, but with the 8/9 game moving up to 2:30 there's no way I could make it there on time without leaving on Wednesday.

So that would be an entire week in Vegas if I wanted to get there early enough to watch the Pilots and stick around to the end. I am really hoping they can find a way to cut the tournament to 4 days from 6 next year when the new bracket structure comes in along with WSU/OSU.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1777
Location : SK
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA - Page 3 Empty Thanks for mentioning the status of former Pilots!

Post by badcoverage Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:05 pm

up7587 wrote:Former Pilots updated news:
Moses Wood has played all 26 games for UW, averaging 32.7 minutes with 11.8 points and 4.6 rebounds. He's taken the most 3P shots for UW, hitting 38.2%. UW is in 10th place in the Pac-12 at 6-9, and 14-12 overall.
Mike Meadows has played 17 games for St. Louis, last on 01/30. Injured? He's averaged 25 minutes and scored 5.7 points per game when he 's played.
Chika Nduka has played every game for Montana St, averaging 15 minutes and scoring 3.8 points with 1.7 rebounds.
Alden Applewhite has played in 17 games for Murray St., averaging 4.9 ppg and 2.7 rpg.  He missed the first 10 games, and played in all since 12/18, so maybe a delayed transfer eligibilty approval?
Wyall Lowell at Chaminade has appeared in 22 of 27 games, starting 15. He's averaged 20.9 minutes, 7.3 points, and 3.4 rebounds.
Jarrett Bryant has played in all 24 games at Westmont, starting in 20 and averaging 29.0 minutes, 10.1 points and 4.5 rebounds.

My son, as a redshirt sophomore, is having a strong season down at Westmont College, and owes a lot of his success to his experiences at UP.
badcoverage
badcoverage
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 26
Location : Eugene, OR
Registration date : 2022-11-01

DoubleDipper, bullwinkle, Fox Mulder and up7587 like this post

Back to top Go down

2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA

Post by up7587 Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:16 pm

The Pilots' last two opponents this season played each other tonight, and it was a rock fight type of game. LMU and SCU combined to shoot 7 of 34 from 3P range and 9-21c on FTs. LMU led at the half 32-28. LMU still led 39-38 with 11 minutes to go. But they are down to six scholarship players, with their best player Dominick Harris, Keli Leaupepe, and others out. They ran out of gas and SCU finished with a 27-16 run to win 65-55. That's 25.5 points under Vegas' prediction.

The Pilots needed that result to stay alive for 7th place. LMU plays at UOP Saturday and hosts USD next Thursday before coming to Chiles to finish the season. LMU is 3-10, Pilots are 3-11.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA

Post by up7587 Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:12 pm

Per https://bboilercbb.github.io/conferences/WCC/index.html, with 2 games left in conference play, GU has a 65% chance of getting 2nd place, and USF has a 35% chance. GU visits USF on Thursday, for a late (8:00pm PST) game on ESPN2.

SCU and GU/USF are locked into the 3rd and 4th place seeds. USD is almost a lock (99.4%) for 5th place. 6th place is up in the air, with LMU (65.8%), PU (27.5%) and Pliots (6.1%) still in contention. LMU or PU will almost assuredly get the 7th seed (99.4%), and UP will most likely be 8th (93.3%). UOP is locked into 9th.

Pilots host SCU and LMU, and need to win both and hope other results fall their way to sneak into a Friday first game in Vegas.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA

Post by up7587 Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:37 pm

In the 02/29 games, GU went to half with a 1 point lead, and are blowing USF out in the 2nd half by 22. SMC has no problem with PU, up 23 at half. And LMU blew out USD in the 2nd half 60-30, winning by 34. These results will lock GU into 2nd, USF 3rd, SCU 4th. Not a lot to play for on Saturday at the top of the league.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA

Post by up7587 Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:56 am

Well according to the site Deaner linked:
Dean Murdoch wrote:
https://bboilercbb.github.io/conferences/WCC/index.html

If Pilots lose to LMU, they get 8th place and play UOP on Thursday, LMU gets 6th and PU gets 7th.  The winner of UP-UOP gets USD on Friday.

If Pilots beat LMU, they get 6th place.  LMU gets 7th, and PU gets 8th and plays UOP on Thursday.  Pilots would open tournament play against LMU on Friday.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA

Post by Dean Murdoch Yesterday at 2:02 pm

Official bracket released. Go Pilots.

https://wccsports.com/news/2024/2/23/seedings-announced-for-cu1-wcc-mens-basketball-tournament.aspx
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1777
Location : SK
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023-24 Around the WCC and the NCAA

Post by up7587 Yesterday at 2:29 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Official bracket released. Go Pilots.

https://wccsports.com/news/2024/2/23/seedings-announced-for-cu1-wcc-mens-basketball-tournament.aspx

wccsports.com wrote:Portland, LMU and Pepperdine each finished the regular season with a Conference record of 5-11. and tied for sixth in the standings. The seed order for those three teams was determined through the WCC's tiebreaker process. Portland recorded a victory over No. 4 seed Santa Clara, while LMU and Pepperdine finished 0-2 against the Broncos, resulting in the Pilots securing the No. 6 seed. The final WCC tiebreaker rule, the NCAA NET rankings, was used to determine LMU’s and Pepperdine’s seeds, with LMU earning the No. 7 seed with a higher NET ranking than Pepperdine.  

LMU has had a high NET (and KenPom) ranking all season, and been the #5 ranked WCC team most of the season.  They are 0-6 against Quad 1 teams (same as UP).  They are 1-3 in Quad 2 games (UP is 0-4). They are 0-6 in Quad 3 games (UP is 2-2).  However, where UP is 7-8 in Quad 4 games, LMU is 10-3.  That dominance in Q4 games plus a Q2 win for the overall 11-18 record in NCAA games gives them a NET of #187.  Meanwhile, UP is overall 9-20 in NCAA games and is #305.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum