Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2023 Offseason

+16
Pilot14
ExpatPilot
WCC_BasketballExpert
Kevin
StudentPilot
MJG2001
Rob's Jacket
Snus Junction
DoubleDipper
bdaddy
Geezaldinho
badcoverage
up7587
Dean Murdoch
bullwinkle
Sound Voltex
20 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:56 pm

Interesting about Applewhite. I thought the NCAA has said they’re going to crack down on granting immediate eligibility for players who are past their first transfer and aren’t graduating?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1772
Location : SK
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:14 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:Applewhite is in the portal.

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1642966261964611584
Alden says his dad is not well and he wants to move closer to home.

Because he has already transferred once, the staff will have to write the NCAA to say it's "humanitarian," or something like that, and Alden will have to "prove" how sick his dad really is.

So far, the Pilots have lost:

Chika (walk on)
Mike
Moses
Alden
Wyatt

Opening 4 scholarships...and really, the only transfer that hurts UP is Moses going to UW.  All the other positions are opportunities for upgrades from the portal and a chance to bring in another high school senior...IMO!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11056
Location : Flying, Golfing, or at the Game
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:21 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Interesting about Applewhite. I thought the NCAA has said they’re going to crack down on granting immediate eligibility for players who are past their first transfer and aren’t graduating?
You are absolutely correct!

He is (apparently) only eligible to transfer and play if he can prove he is leaving due to physical injury or mental health conditions that pushed him transfer or other exigent circumstances like sexual assault or physical abuse.  (This my interpretation...not sure what the NCAA wording is).

Alden is scheduled to have ankle surgery, I believe, but I doubt that warrants a transfer...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11056
Location : Flying, Golfing, or at the Game
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by up7587 Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:59 pm

I also saw that a couple Oklahoma players entered the portal, but not the one discussed here.

The number of players in the portal is up to 1,231.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by up7587 Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:13 pm

Jordan Ivy-Curry is leaving UOP. Not a regular starter, but their 2nd leading scorer in their positionless offense.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by up7587 Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:20 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
So far, the Pilots have lost:

Chika (walk on)
Mike
Moses
Alden
Wyatt

Opening 4 scholarships...and really, the only transfer that hurts UP is Moses going to UW.  All the other positions are opportunities for upgrades from the portal and a chance to bring in another high school senior...IMO!

Plus playing time for the guys who sat out last year: Vucasin Masic, Chris Austin, Bol Dengbit.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:46 pm

up7587 wrote:Plus playing time for the guys who sat out last year: Vucasin Masic, Chris Austin, Bol Dengbit.  
The Pilots are getting very good players next season with Vucasin and the return of Chris, and that is likely the primary reason Mike moved to LMU.  We don't know yet how Bol will do in competition, so that is why UP needs to get a bigger/taller somewhat experienced post to replace Chika and share time with Vasilije.

Such a guy might be Yuto Yamanouchi-Williams, a 6-10/215 freshman from Japan who prepped in California and played one season at Lamar before hitting the portal.

Yuto played in 28 games last season with 24 starts and averaged 21 minutes per game while averaging 7 points and 7 rebounds and hitting 75% of his free throws.

Quite a few schools have been talking to Yuto, but he knows that UP has had other Japanese players, and that is a positive for him, and he would like to move to the West Coast to continue his college years.

All positive signs he could commit to UP...

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Lamar10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11056
Location : Flying, Golfing, or at the Game
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Not true

Post by MJG2001 Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:56 pm

Meadows left because he had 39 point game and in practice couldn’t be guarded. The returning guards are not better than him. Don’t forget he had a triple double also. He can play. And Moses is a another good player who didn’t feel he was utilized in that offense right. Kristin S. Will not be on the team next seasons either. They will all be really missed the so called replacements are not like those guys.

MJG2001
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2023-04-03

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:08 pm

MJG2001 wrote:Meadows left because he had 39 point game and in practice couldn’t be guarded. The returning guards are not better than him. Don’t forget he had a triple double also. He can play. And Moses is a another good player who didn’t feel he was utilized in that offense right. Kristin S. Will not be on the team next seasons either. They will all be really missed the so called replacements are not like those guys.
Yes, we expect Kristian to leave for the professional game...

Thank you for your insight, and welcome to PilotNation. Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11056
Location : Flying, Golfing, or at the Game
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by StudentPilot Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:44 pm

MJG2001 wrote:Meadows left because he had 39 point game and in practice couldn’t be guarded. The returning guards are not better than him. Don’t forget he had a triple double also. He can play. And Moses is a another good player who didn’t feel he was utilized in that offense right. Kristin S. Will not be on the team next seasons either. They will all be really missed the so called replacements are not like those guys.
I think we will all remember Mike's triple-double, the first in school history, for a long time, but why do you say he "left because he had a 39 point game and in practice couldn't be guarded."  scratch  

So, you obviously have good contacts within the team.  Can you tell us how Mike and Moses would have preferred to have been "utilized" so that they would have remained at UP?

Also, it sounds like from your inside the team knowledge that Mike and Moses, and perhaps Kristian are leaving because of poor coaching...is that true?
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by badcoverage Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:56 am

StudentPilot wrote:
MJG2001 wrote:Meadows left because he had 39 point game and in practice couldn’t be guarded. The returning guards are not better than him. Don’t forget he had a triple double also. He can play. And Moses is a another good player who didn’t feel he was utilized in that offense right. Kristin S. Will not be on the team next seasons either. They will all be really missed the so called replacements are not like those guys.
I think we will all remember Mike's triple-double, the first in school history, for a long time, but why do you say he "left because he had a 39 point game and in practice couldn't be guarded."  scratch  

So, you obviously have good contacts within the team.  Can you tell us how Mike and Moses would have preferred to have been "utilized" so that they would have remained at UP?

Also, it sounds like from your inside the team knowledge that Mike and Moses, and perhaps Kristian are leaving because of poor coaching...is that true?

In my opinion, in today's college basketball world, the school or the coach/coaching style, will take a backseat to what can be earned on the open market. I've noticed quite a few players in winning programs, starting, 2-3 years tenure, choosing to leave for $$$$. I'm certainly not criticizing their decision, because we make those financial decisions everyday, even if we like our current place of employment. I think the TP will settle year after year, once the shine wears off, and the inevitable changes are made to tame the beast.
badcoverage
badcoverage
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 26
Location : Eugene, OR
Registration date : 2022-11-01

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:23 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Such a guy might be Yuto Yamanouchi-Williams, a 6-10/215 freshman from Japan who prepped in California and played one season at Lamar before hitting the portal.

Yuto played in 28 games last season with 24 starts and averaged 21 minutes per game while averaging 7 points and 7 rebounds and hitting 75% of his free throws.

Quite a few schools have been talking to Yuto, but he knows that UP has had other Japanese players, and that is a positive for him, and he would like to move to the West Coast to continue his college years.

All positive signs he could commit to UP...

Official. https://twitter.com/yuto_yamanouchi/status/1643416349379534849

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Fs6wdt10
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by up7587 Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:01 pm

@RoccoMiller8 wrote:The Portland Pilots have landed Lamar transfer Yuto Yamanouchi-Williams who just finished an impressive freshman campaign. Yamanouchi-Williams was Top-35 in the country in Offensive Rebounding rate and a Top-100 defensive rebounder, plus a solid rim protector.

I like those rebounding numbers.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Kevin likes this post

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:28 pm



Good agility...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11056
Location : Flying, Golfing, or at the Game
Registration date : 2011-11-03

mikemac65 and Kevin like this post

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by Kevin Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:31 am

Wow! This is really exciting! Yuto looks solid! After watching some video, he looks to have a high basketball IQ, be aggressive, good feet, agility, nice touch and good off ball skills. And he's only gonna be a sophomore! Very impressive grab for UP!
Kevin
Kevin
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 60
Location : High Desert
Registration date : 2020-04-17

DoubleDipper likes this post

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by Kevin Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:56 pm

Has anybody seen Bol Dengit play? I'm frothing at the mouth to understand what type of player he is. I was only able to find a couple of videos online.

Thanks in advance!
Kevin
Kevin
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 60
Location : High Desert
Registration date : 2020-04-17

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:04 pm

Kevin wrote:Has anybody seen Bol Dengit play? I'm frothing at the mouth to understand what type of player he is. I was only able to find a couple of videos online.

Thanks in advance!
I talked with Bol and watched him practice yesterday (Tuesday), and he has put on about 10 pounds of muscle since last fall, is becoming more aggressive, and is developing his game.  

But like just about every big who has come to UP, it is probably going to take a season or two for him to develop the skill, stamina, and toughness needed to compete with the best in the WCC.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11056
Location : Flying, Golfing, or at the Game
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Kevin likes this post

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by Kevin Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:46 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Kevin wrote:Has anybody seen Bol Dengit play? I'm frothing at the mouth to understand what type of player he is. I was only able to find a couple of videos online.

Thanks in advance!
I talked with Bol and watched him practice yesterday (Tuesday), and he has put on about 10 pounds of muscle since last fall, is becoming more aggressive, and is developing his game.  

But like just about every big who has come to UP, it is probably going to take a season or two for him to develop the skill, stamina, and toughness needed to compete with the best in the WCC.

Awesome! Thank you for the insights!
Kevin
Kevin
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 60
Location : High Desert
Registration date : 2020-04-17

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by Sound Voltex Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:51 am

SMU transfer Stefan Todorovic is taking an official visit to Portland this weekend, a source tells @247SportsPortal.

Is also considering St. Mary’s and San Francisco amongst others. Former Top150 recruit and Nike Hoop Summit selectee.

https://twitter.com/TravisBranham_/status/1645470709265702912
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by up7587 Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:04 am

Sound Voltex wrote:
SMU transfer Stefan Todorovic is taking an official visit to Portland this weekend, a source tells @247SportsPortal.

Is also considering St. Mary’s and San Francisco amongst others. Former Top150 recruit and Nike Hoop Summit selectee.

https://twitter.com/TravisBranham_/status/1645470709265702912

6'8" 190# F played two years at SMU. From Belgrade, Serbia. Shot 43.5% on 46 3P attempts in 20221-22 (88.5 of his shots were 3P tries). Played more and shot more this past season, only hit 31.6% of 3P shots. Started 7 of 31 games.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Kevin likes this post

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:24 pm

Edinboro (D2) transfer Naim Miller told @ThePortalReport that he has visits to the following schools scheduled:

Portland
New Hampshire

https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/status/1645929120952352768
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by up7587 Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:51 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:
Edinboro (D2) transfer Naim Miller told @ThePortalReport that he has visits to the following schools scheduled:

Portland
New Hampshire

https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/status/1645929120952352768

6'4" 210# SG. Played 2 years at Mount St. Mary's, with limited minutes. Then no stats in 2021-22 (Covid break?). Played last year at Edinboro, started every game, played 37.6 mpg, shot 35% from floor, 78% on FTs, averaged 16.5 ppg.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Kevin likes this post

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by WCC_BasketballExpert Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:01 pm

I was told the Nahim Miller visit is false. Either the account that posted it was wrong or it meant Portland St.

WCC_BasketballExpert
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2023-04-11

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by WCC_BasketballExpert Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:04 pm

A name I would keep an eye on is Jaylen Wells from Sonoma St. 6’7 Wing who was a D2 All-American.

WCC_BasketballExpert
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2023-04-11

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:36 pm

WCC_BasketballExpert wrote:A name I would keep an eye on is Jaylen Wells from Sonoma St. 6’7 Wing who was a D2 All-American.
Yes, he is on PN's radar...but right now it is all about prioritizing who might be offered the remaining scholarships.

Your sources are good, and thanks for the correction on Miller...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11056
Location : Flying, Golfing, or at the Game
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum