Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2023 Offseason

+16
Pilot14
ExpatPilot
WCC_BasketballExpert
Kevin
StudentPilot
MJG2001
Rob's Jacket
Snus Junction
DoubleDipper
bdaddy
Geezaldinho
badcoverage
up7587
Dean Murdoch
bullwinkle
Sound Voltex
20 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by Sound Voltex Mon May 01, 2023 9:12 am

Mike has now committed to Cal.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2017-01-12

DoubleDipper and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by DoubleDipper Mon May 01, 2023 10:37 am

up7587 wrote:... but I have not seen anything regarding the Pilot men.  After Mike Meadows decommitted from LMU, Moses Wood is the only Pilot with a reported new home.  Mike, Chika, Alden, Wyatt and Jarrett still show no new school.
Moses - UW
Mike - Cal (awfully big Shantay Legans shoes to fill there  clown )
Chika - Montana St.
Alden - not sure the NCAA will allow him to transfer without sitting a year.
Wyatt - Taking a well-earned playing vacation with his wife to Chaminade.
Jarrett - I'd heard he was considering Westmont, but "badcoverage" would probably know best.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11332
Location : Flying, Golfing, or at the Game
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by StudentPilot Mon May 01, 2023 11:31 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
Moses - UW
Mike - Cal (awfully big Shantay Legans shoes to fill there  clown )
Chika - Montana St.
Alden - not sure the NCAA will allow him to transfer without sitting a year.
Wyatt - Taking a well-earned playing vacation with his wife to Chaminade.
Jarrett - I'd heard he was considering Westmont, but "badcoverage" would probably know best.
Two guys from UP to major universities, UW and Cal.

Unheard of, right?
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by DoubleDipper Mon May 01, 2023 11:59 am

StudentPilot wrote:Two guys from UP to major universities, UW and Cal.

Unheard of, right?
Two at once, for sure!

We've probably had this discussion before, but I cannot think of any player who has gone to a major from UP.

Tim Frost earned first-team all-West Coast Conference honors for 2000-01, and then moved on to Utah, but Utah was a member of the Mountain West Conference then.

Greg Anthony was the WCC Freshman of the Year in 1987 before transferring to UNLV where he won a National Championship in 1990, but UNLV was a member of the Big West Conference, I think, and the school is/was not considered a "major" despite its success of that era.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11332
Location : Flying, Golfing, or at the Game
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by ExpatPilot Mon May 01, 2023 12:13 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Greg Anthony was the WCC Freshman of the Year in 1987 before transferring to UNLV where he won a National Championship in 1990, but UNLV was a member of the Big West Conference, I think, and the school is/was not considered a "major" despite its success of that era.

I don’t think I ever realized that he spent a season at UP!

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 781
Location : Outside the US
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 02, 2023 8:36 am

Sound Voltex wrote:Mike has now committed to Cal.
2023 Offseason - Page 5 Scree139

A Cal fan since I was 6 years old, you will have to excuse my joy of seeing Mike in Cal colors.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11332
Location : Flying, Golfing, or at the Game
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue May 02, 2023 11:16 am

Meadows to Cal always seemed like an obvious fit, surprised it took him this long and needed a side trip to LMU to get there!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1790
Location : SK
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 02, 2023 4:43 pm

up7587 wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:Parker Braun, a 6-10/215 center, has decided to leave Santa Clara.

Braun was one of only two players to start every game (33) last season for the Broncos and played 30 minutes per game while averaging almost 8 points and 6 rebounds per game.

Bronco fans are not surprised.  They have had question marks behind his name on their list of returning players for weeks.  Sounds like all of their starters from last year are not returning.
Braun ends up at Seton Hall.

The flight/drive from Braun's home in Brampton, Ontario to Seton Hall is a lot closer than SCU was... and the flights are a lot less expensive.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11332
Location : Flying, Golfing, or at the Game
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by up7587 Tue May 02, 2023 4:52 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
up7587 wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:Parker Braun, a 6-10/215 center, has decided to leave Santa Clara.

Braun was one of only two players to start every game (33) last season for the Broncos and played 30 minutes per game while averaging almost 8 points and 6 rebounds per game.

Bronco fans are not surprised.  They have had question marks behind his name on their list of returning players for weeks.  Sounds like all of their starters from last year are not returning.
Braun ends up at Seton Hall.

The flight/drive from Braun's home in Brampton, Ontario to Seton Hall is a lot closer than SCU was... and the flights are a lot less expensive.

Sorry to correct you, but according to Verbal Commits, it is a different former SCU big, Jaden Bediako, who is from Brampton and commited to Seton Hall.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1433
Registration date : 2021-06-10

DoubleDipper likes this post

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by up7587 Tue May 02, 2023 5:02 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Sound Voltex wrote:Mike has now committed to Cal.
2023 Offseason - Page 5 Scree139

A Cal fan since I was 6 years old, you will have to excuse my joy of seeing Mike in Cal colors.

Cal should be interesting next year. Nine players entered the portal. So far they have added Mike, Fardaws Aimaq, 5'11" PG Jalen Cone from NAU, and 6'5" SG Keonte Kennedy from Memphis (Cal will be his 4th school).

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1433
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 02, 2023 9:21 pm

up7587 wrote:Sorry to correct you, but according to Verbal Commits, it is a different former SCU big, Jaden Bediako, who is from Brampton and committed to Seton Hall.
Thanks for the assist and getting me back on track.

All those SCU bigs start looking alike after awhile... drunken
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11332
Location : Flying, Golfing, or at the Game
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by up7587 Wed May 03, 2023 5:22 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Meadows to Cal always seemed like an obvious fit, surprised it took him this long and needed a side trip to LMU to get there!

LMU replaced Mike with a good shooting guard from UT-RGV. Will Johnston (6'3" 180#) started 31 games and averaged 14.5 ppg in 32 mpg.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1433
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by up7587 Thu May 04, 2023 9:25 am

And now Dominick Harris (6'3" PG), who left GU, has committed to LMU. The Lions are really stocking up on guards.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1433
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by up7587 Thu May 04, 2023 1:46 pm

When a player enters the portal are they barred from using the athletic department facilities? I assume they can use the facilities open to all students. Does their scholarship end immediately? Do they have to pay for the remainder of the school year to finish out their academics? Do they lose meal support, if any exists? What are the impacts of entering the portal?

Is it similar or different if a player announces they will be leaving after the school year to pursue a pro career?

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1433
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Kevin likes this post

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by badcoverage Fri May 05, 2023 3:58 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
up7587 wrote:... but I have not seen anything regarding the Pilot men.  After Mike Meadows decommitted from LMU, Moses Wood is the only Pilot with a reported new home.  Mike, Chika, Alden, Wyatt and Jarrett still show no new school.
Moses - UW
Mike - Cal (awfully big Shantay Legans shoes to fill there  clown )
Chika - Montana St.
Alden - not sure the NCAA will allow him to transfer without sitting a year.
Wyatt - Taking a well-earned playing vacation with his wife to Chaminade.
Jarrett - I'd heard he was considering Westmont, but "badcoverage" would probably know best.

Yes, Jarrett Bryant, committed to Westmont College (provisional D-2), as of yesterday, 05/04/23. He's looking forward to the new challenge, but will miss his teammates and friends at UP.
badcoverage
badcoverage
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 26
Location : Eugene, OR
Registration date : 2022-11-01

DoubleDipper and up7587 like this post

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by DoubleDipper Fri May 05, 2023 4:06 pm

badcoverage wrote:Yes, Jarrett Bryant, committed to Westmont College (provisional D-2), as of yesterday, 05/04/23.  He's looking forward to the new challenge, but will miss his teammates and friends at UP.
So, badcoverage, what is your plan?  How are you and Mrs. coverage going to watch him play...move to California?

As I've written before, we are really going to miss both of you at Pilots events... pale
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11332
Location : Flying, Golfing, or at the Game
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by DoubleDipper Fri May 05, 2023 4:11 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Moses - UW
Mike - Cal (awfully big Shantay Legans shoes to fill there  clown )
Chika - Montana St.
Alden - not sure the NCAA will allow him to transfer without sitting a year.
Wyatt - Taking a well-earned playing vacation with his wife to Chaminade.
Jarrett - I'd heard he was considering Westmont, but "badcoverage" would probably know best.
With Jarrett heading to Westmont, that leaves just Alden with no known school.

I really hope he, Alden, made the right decision going into the portal having transferred once already.  Unless the NCAA is not cracking down as it indicated it would, he may have to sit a year wherever he goes.


Last edited by DoubleDipper on Fri May 05, 2023 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11332
Location : Flying, Golfing, or at the Game
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by badcoverage Fri May 05, 2023 4:22 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:Moses - UW
Mike - Cal (awfully big Shantay Legans shoes to fill there  clown )
Chika - Montana St.
Alden - not sure the NCAA will allow him to transfer without sitting a year.
Wyatt - Taking a well-earned playing vacation with his wife to Chaminade.
Jarrett - I'd heard he was considering Westmont, but "badcoverage" would probably know best.
With Jarrett heading to Westmont, that leaves just Alden with no known school.

I really hope he made the right decision going into the portal having transferred once already.  Unless the NCAA is not cracking down as it indicated it would, he may have to sit a year wherever he goes.

From what I understand,  since he was a walk-on at UP, this transfer is just a standard student transfer. However, now that he is a scholarship player at Westmont, if he enters the portal in the future, it will technically be his one transfer opportunity without penalty. At least, that's what I comprehend from reviewing the transfer guidelines.

Also, his first transfer, from Bushnell (NAIA) is not of consequence.
badcoverage
badcoverage
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 26
Location : Eugene, OR
Registration date : 2022-11-01

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by up7587 Fri May 05, 2023 4:36 pm

badcoverage wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:With Jarrett heading to Westmont, that leaves just Alden with no known school.

I really hope he made the right decision going into the portal having transferred once already.  Unless the NCAA is not cracking down as it indicated it would, he may have to sit a year wherever he goes.

From what I understand,  since he was a walk-on at UP, this transfer is just a standard student transfer. However, now that he is a scholarship player at Westmont, if he enters the portal in the future, it will technically be his one transfer opportunity without penalty. At least, that's what I comprehend from reviewing the transfer guidelines.

Also, his first transfer, from Bushnell (NAIA) is not of consequence.

Best of luck to your son at Westmont, and congrats on his scholarship.  Santa Barbara's probably a nice place to go to school.  Cool  
I'm pretty sure DD's comment was about Alden Applewhite, who did make a D1 portal transfer to come to UP, and has entered a second time.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1433
Registration date : 2021-06-10

DoubleDipper likes this post

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by up7587 Wed May 17, 2023 7:55 am

up7587 wrote:Parker Braun, a 6-10/215 center, has decided to leave Santa Clara.

Braun was one of only two players to start every game (33) last season for the Broncos and played 30 minutes per game while averaging almost 8 points and 6 rebounds per game.

Braun commits to Kansas. Big time step up for him.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1433
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by Sound Voltex Tue May 30, 2023 12:52 pm

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Fxy2fb10
https://twitter.com/PortlandMBB/status/1663576585176268800

Don't think anyone was concerned he was leaving, but nice to have confirmation I guess?
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Kevin likes this post

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 30, 2023 2:36 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:Don't think anyone was concerned he was leaving, but nice to have confirmation I guess?
Actually, there has been quite a bit of concern because of the number of schools that have been (illegally) contacting Tyler and telling him how much NIL money he can make by transferring.

Tyler never tested the waters by entering the portal, and he told others that he was coming back to UP for his final year, but this the first we've seen it in writing.

Now that Tyler is back in Australia for part of the summer, I am hoping he is doing something to receive NIL money from UP...something international players cannot do while in the US on F-1 visas.

https://www.bestcolleges.com/news/2022/05/18/ncaa-nil-international-college-athletes-student-visas/#:~:text=If%20you%27re%20an%20international%20student-athlete%20hoping%20to%20cash,in%20the%20U.S.%2C%20you%27re%20probably%20out%20of%20luck.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11332
Location : Flying, Golfing, or at the Game
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by Geezaldinho Wed May 31, 2023 8:15 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
StudentPilot wrote:Two guys from UP to major universities, UW and Cal.

Unheard of, right?
Two at once, for sure!

We've probably had this discussion before, but I cannot think of any player who has gone to a major from UP.

Tim Frost earned first-team all-West Coast Conference honors for 2000-01, and then moved on to Utah, but Utah was a member of the Mountain West Conference then.

Greg Anthony was the WCC Freshman of the Year in 1987 before transferring to UNLV where he won a National Championship in 1990, but UNLV was a member of the Big West Conference, I think, and the school is/was not considered a "major" despite its success of that era.

Ummm

Was there a P5 designation back then?
P5, also known as Autonimous conferences, didn’t exist in the NCAA hierarchy until 2006 when those conferences were guaranteed a certain number of bowl appearances or  2014, when the BCS football playoffs were concocted.

I don’t think there is anybody who can seriously claim that  UNLV under the Shark or Utah in the Majerus era weren’t major programs.


Last edited by Geezaldinho on Wed May 31, 2023 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11814
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by Kevin Wed May 31, 2023 10:07 pm

Tyler is a classy kid. He came up to my 15 year old Son and II, shook our hands and thanked us for attending the game.
Kevin
Kevin
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 61
Location : High Desert
Registration date : 2020-04-17

DoubleDipper and Kevin like this post

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:53 pm

2023 Offseason - Page 5 Coache10
At the WCC Coaches meeting last week, retiring referee/administrator Bobby Dibler was presented a gold watch.  (Obviously, Coach Few needs a pay raise so he can improve his wardrobe).

Most probably don't remember Dibler, who started refereeing D1 games in 1973 and then left the court in 1993 to become the Coordinator for Basketball Officials for the Western Basketball Officiating Consortium (WBOC).

So now you know who's been sending the referees to the various games at 67 institutions across 13 states in the Pac-12, Mountain West, Big Sky, Big West, West Coast and Western Athletic...it was Dibler!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11332
Location : Flying, Golfing, or at the Game
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum