Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots @ Portland St. Vikings

+8
Rochin54
blacksheep
SoCal_Pilot
Dean Murdoch
bobtcat2
DoubleDipper
StudentPilot
Geezaldinho
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pilots @ Portland St. Vikings - Page 2 Empty Re: Pilots @ Portland St. Vikings

Post by Guest Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:11 pm

In the ugliest final two minutes I've seen in a long time, the Vikings fouled every possession and managed to score 75 points. Fortunately, the Pilots had enough points to survive poor FT shooting and win by 7.

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:15 pm

Nice. Go Pilots. Does not seem inappropriate to suggest the team is better than anticipated. Leykam may have been right to retain Porter and to suggest last year not all Potter's fault.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1443
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:21 pm

PSU losing Nuhu sure hurt them, but it was great to see the Pilots calmly break that press over and over again tonight.

The better team won tonight. Can’t say I saw this Pilots team with a 4-1 but I am sure happy to be proved wrong!!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:45 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Can’t say I saw this Pilots team with a 4-1 but I am sure happy to be proved wrong!!

Hear, hear!

There certainly seems to be a much-improved vibe/chemistry around the team, which I think has helped. Of course we haven't faced a murderer's row in terms of strength of schedule, but at least we are beating teams that likely would have (and did, in some cases) beat us last year.

Conference play will be very tough. But at least there's a glimmer of progress happening right now.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:53 pm

Excellent win. Most impressive was overcoming a couple of stretches of self-induced damage in each half. That string of turnovers in the beginning of the second half was quite painful, but the Pilots' recovery and solid offense down the stretch was encouraging.

Tryon should give up on shooting threes and just try to get fouled. Like a reverse hack-a-Shaq strategy. He was unstoppable from the free throw line.

Nice to break that losing streak to PSU, and to get a second road win. Like Mr. Murdoch, I'm pleasantly surprised with the 3-1 start (I choose not to recognize the Willamette game).

The Pilots are now up to #226 in the KenPom rankings (anyone remember what we were ranked pre-season?). We've beat #323 (SJSU), #317 (Maine), and #278 (PSU). UC Davis on Saturday comes in at #309. Our only chance to beat someone ranked higher than us before the Hawai'i tournament is at Seattle U (currently #191).

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:06 pm

Adams didn’t  score much, but 9 assists and 3 TO is pretty impressive. He was a big part of breaking the press.

Whites 8 assist with only a turnover is as impressive as his points, and I’m glad jojo woke up second half

Give props to Malcom for getting it done where others weren’t

And the bigs for the most part got better after sleepwalking though PSU’s 11 point run at the start. 2 PSU turned ankles helped.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11823
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:10 pm

Well, I had the Pilots by 7 part right but very hard to guess totals with all the fouling at the end of games. This team has been a lot of fun. White and Adams are fantastic additions. Happy to see Terry Porter having some better results, a great guy in anyone's book.

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2017-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:14 pm

I just looked at the box score:
https://portlandpilots.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=10359

When was the last time the Pilots had 25 fast break points?! That made a huge difference. And a big improvement over past seasons (spanning both the Reveno and Porter eras) is the very consistent finishing at the rim on the fast break so far this year. The Pilots' fast break offense really seems in control. Good, early passes and no missed layups. Impressive.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:15 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:The Pilots are now up to #226 in the KenPom rankings (anyone remember what we were ranked pre-season?).

Anyone know if Quincy Ferebee was hurt? Or just didn’t get in tonight?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:28 pm

Yes, I agree, Terry Porter is a great guy, but one of the reasons the Pilots are doing better so far this season is because the offensive and defensive game plans/preparations and the majority of in-game decisions have been turned over to his assistants this year...likely directed by Scott Leykam, because not listening to his assistants was not working for TP.

Lots of contributors tonight, but the huge numbers that stand out is 21 assists on 28 made baskets (17 of those assists made by Chase and Isaiah and 4 by JoJo), and also the 25 fast-break points.

The helter-skelter/havoc style on both sides of the ball by PSU that DD said we'd see was certainly something the Pilots couldn't prepare for with their own scout team, but once they figured it out and settled down (with a lot of help from Malcolm), the game turned around in UP's favor.  

This team could still go 0-16 in WCC play, but they're a whole lot better than last year's team.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:42 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:The Pilots are now up to #226 in the KenPom rankings (anyone remember what we were ranked pre-season?). We've beat #323 (SJSU), #317 (Maine), and #278 (PSU). UC Davis on Saturday comes in at #309. Our only chance to beat someone ranked higher than us before the Hawai'i tournament is at Seattle U (currently #191).
Prior to Willamette - 259
Prior to USC - 260
Prior to SJSC - 256
Prior to Maine - 241
Prior to PSU - 241

Current WCC KenPom Rankings:

6. GU
35. SMC (beat Fresno St. in Sacramento tonight)
72. BYU (lost at BSU in OT tonight)
104. USF
109. PU (lead early before losing by 7 at USC on Tuesday)
128. SCU
171. USD (lost by 17 at home to SDSU tonight)
195. LMU
215. UOP
226. UP

The WCC is ranked the 8th out of 32 conferences by KenPom.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:54 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Sounds like the praetorian guard took care of business elsewhere in the kingdom
Is that in reference to the volleyball coach's dismissal?

Guards in the kingdom? Spies? scratch

I guess I need to return and complete my degree to understand the relationship between the monarch and the dukes that DD wrote of and the praetorian guard. Embarassed
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:07 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:Anyone know if Quincy Ferebee was hurt? Or just didn’t get in tonight?
He was on the bench and in uniform, but the staff was good at sticking with the guard lineup that was working.

Perhaps the staff felt the pace of play was a little quick for Quincy or just found no reason for substituting for a group that was figuring it out.

Lavar only got in the game for about 3 minutes in the first half in an attempt to slow things down a little, but he didn't return once the guards had sorted it out.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11391
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:54 am

StudentPilot wrote:

I guess I need to return and complete my degree to understand the relationship between the monarch and the dukes that DD wrote of and the praetorian guard. Embarassed

The cohorte Praetoriani we’re responsible for the installation and/or removal of emperors  Nero, Caligula,Claudius, Galba, Piso, Vespasian, Titus, Domitilan, Trajan, Caracalla, Comodus, Pertinax, Didius Julianas, Elagabalus, Severus Alexander, Philipus, and probably a few other emperors. I can only remember so many.
Tiberius was a hairs breath from getting sacked by Serjanus, the head of the guard.
Galba said He was used to  recruiting  soldiers, not buying  them, so they killed him.
Piso didn’t even get to the palace.
They were thick into the year of the four emperors, though I don’t think it actually took a whole year.

Nobody retired to a country villa after removal, if you get my drift. In one case they openly auctioned the position off and then Killed the buyer ( Didius Julianus, I think) three months later. The next auction didn’t go as well.

They were still mucking around in the Western Roman Empire when Constantine invaded Rome and Ravenna and dissolved them around 400 AD.

Many of the Western Kindoms grew out of that, including one  that wasn’t Holy, Roman, or really an Empire.

And the title Duke (Duc, Dux) is originally Roman. ( military commander with territorial responsibilities - sort of a division of labor)

Class dismissed
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11823
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:41 am

Glad to end the 3 game losing streak to the Vikings. Also broke their 9 game home court winning streak. I was worried the Pilots would be too amped up for the rivalry game. But after they stopped throwing it away almost every possession, they were pretty calm running the offense.

Last edited by up7587 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:09 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Well, sort of.  Apparently the prime minister advised the monarch that his subjects were yelling, "off with his head," and that immediate changes must be made!

So the monarch followed the PM's "advice," and not only began listening to members of his royal court, but after exiling one of his dukes, put two of his remaining dukes in charge of running his kingdom...which made the remaining dukes and prime minister very happy. king

After one of the crown princes, the heir to the throne, left the court the dukes happily began conducting the king's business on both sides of the king's court, and the other prince developed into a potential king... farao

Whether everyone will live happily ever after and the king will retain his head remains to be seen...

My vote for post of the year!

blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodless 2.0 Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:19 pm

And the court jester's website was still up and counting the days...
Woodless 2.0
Woodless 2.0
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2015-10-30

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2