Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Postseason - WCC Tourney March 7-12, Las Vegas

+13
lomiton
wrv
JimmAlacki
Sound Voltex
Stonehouse
PilotNut
Woodless 2.0
DoubleDipper
NoPoNeighbor
StudentPilot
blacksheep
bobtcat2
Dean Murdoch
17 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Postseason - WCC Tourney March 7-12, Las Vegas - Page 3 Empty Re: Postseason - WCC Tourney March 7-12, Las Vegas

Post by Dean Murdoch Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:04 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:I love the poetic justice here... GU blackmails the conference into an unfair, unbalanced schedule and a tournament format explicitly designed to prevent GU from playing lower-ranked teams. In the first year of the new system, the 7 and 8 seeds advance to the semi-finals. I hope somehow the NET drops GU a spot just from the strength-of-schedule hit they take by playing Pepperdine.

In defence of Gonzaga, the scheduling changes didn't come around until late March last year and it's my understanding that teams generally have most or all of their schedules set by that time. I'm wondering if Gonzaga will go back to what they'd do a few years back and schedule a premier non-conference game midway through WCC play. They did this with SMU, Butler, and at least four separate times with Memphis. Could see them going back to this with more time to set the schedule this year.

If you delve even further than just Gonzaga's NET, last night was terrible for their resume. They were definitely rooting for USF (#66) and BYU (#77) given that any road win over a top-75 team counts as a Q1 win. BYU is now #85 and that win is now definitely Q2, and USF fell to #73 and that road win over the Dons is in danger of becoming Q2 as well if they fall just three more spots.

And obviously, what could have been another Q2 game in the semifinals against USF is now a Q3 game against Pepperdine which is meaningless in Gonzaga's context. Triple whammy for our friends from Spokane.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Postseason - WCC Tourney March 7-12, Las Vegas - Page 3 Empty Re: Postseason - WCC Tourney March 7-12, Las Vegas

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:33 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:In defence of Gonzaga, the scheduling changes didn't come around until late March last year...
You're right, in terms of giving Gonzaga the benefit of the doubt regarding replacing games against UP and Pepperdine with a couple of terrible non-conference opponents. The proof will be in the pudding as we see GU's non-conference schedules for coming seasons.

But the question of what Gonzaga does with its two extra non-conference games is separate from the fact that the WCC changed the conference schedule (and tourney format) in the first place, after being blackmailed by Gonzaga. And that is why I think it is just beautiful that the #7 and #8 seeds have advanced to the semifinals, which is exactly what Gonzaga was trying to prevent with the new conference format.

I wholeheartedly agree with others who have argued that the last two seeds should be left out of the conference tournament. I'm also fine with the top two seeds advancing directly to the semi-finals.

First round: 5 v 8; 6 v 7
Second round: 3 v 6/7; 4 v 5/8
Third round: 1 v 4/5/8; 2 v 3/6/7
Finals: 1 v 2

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:43 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:First round: 5 v 8; 6 v 7
Second round: 3 v 6/7; 4 v 5/8
Third round: 1 v 4/5/8; 2 v 3/6/7
Finals: 1 v 2
I'm in 100% agreement with you on this.

Not only would it shorten the ridiculous length of the tournament, it would also make league play a lot more exciting as the "bottom teams" will have to fight/scrap/claw their way to Las Vegas instead of just coasting the latter part of the season, hoping for the opportunity to get hot at the Orleans Arena.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11391
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:05 pm

bobtcat2 wrote:Dave Rose could be available after this.  67-25 with 12 minutes left!  insane, one of the worst showings I can remember by anyone let alone BYU.

I was off the grid this weekend.  How did BYU go down 46-19 in the first half?!  The Pilots actually played them closer, when USD had fresh legs.  I'm scared to look at Cougar Board.

#7 and #8 making the semi-finals? Razz lol! geek bom
That's four teams with very unhappy fan bases, and two teams with hardly any fan bases going on a run.  Crazy.  I wonder what the hit will be to LMU, SCU, USF and BYU for the NIT and CBI tourneys.  They may drop down or out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:12 pm

Thoughts from the WCC power rankings guy on the quarterfinal games: wcc-tournament-quarterfinal-recap

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:31 pm

GU had no problem with PU tonight, leading by 40 before winning 100-74.
USD gave SMC all they wanted, but made a few mistakes and key misses, to lose 69-62.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:26 am

Go Gaels!

I know the odds aren't great, but I'd love to see Goliath get taken down tonight.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:45 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:Go Gaels!

I know the odds aren't great, but I'd love to see Goliath get taken down tonight.

I am expecting a rout.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:01 pm

If I read this right, BYU had an unfair disadvantage of having to play a team playing their third game in three nights, because they weren't warmed up to the arena and used to shooting there. Suspect

https://www.ksl.com/article/46508262/is-the-wcc-tournaments-new-schedule-set-up-to-favor-lower-seeds

Yeah, that's why they were down 40 plus points.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:54 pm

up7587 wrote:If I read this right, BYU had an unfair disadvantage of having to play a team playing their third game in three nights, because they weren't warmed up to the arena and used to shooting there.  Suspect  
Maybe another area in which SouthCarolinaPilot can gather some empirical data, but it has been my observation that BYU players, fans, and coaches can be the whiniest people I've ever had the dissatisfaction of being around....or maybe it's just me.  
Postseason - WCC Tourney March 7-12, Las Vegas - Page 3 Byu_110
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:36 pm

i guess we also get shiny new logo

Postseason - WCC Tourney March 7-12, Las Vegas - Page 3 New_wc10

https://wccsports.com/news/2019/3/12/general-west-coast-conference-reveals-new-brand.aspx
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:54 pm

up7587 wrote:If I read this right, BYU had an unfair disadvantage of having to play a team playing their third game in three nights, because they weren't warmed up to the arena and used to shooting there.  Suspect

That and they were out rebounded and didn’t play a lick of defense.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11823
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:27 pm

I don't hate it! Will take me a while to get used to that teal color though (the 90's are so hot right now!)... the WCC has been red/white/blue for as long as I can remember.

I like the use of the chevrons... I'm guessing those will be a major graphic element in all the collateral.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:55 pm

The real reason Gonzaga doesn’t want to be in the WCC....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:01 pm

I really like the new look. Much cleaner. The current one with the star is hideous, IMO, and a substantial downgrade from the previous block lettering with the Pacific coastline.

Back to the discussion on the conference tournament, where . . . WOAH NOW.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:04 pm

I don’t think I’m a big fan of the teal BY GAWD THE GAELS WON
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:18 pm

VillaGorilla wrote:I really like the new look.  Much cleaner.  The current one with the star is hideous, IMO, and a substantial downgrade from the previous block lettering with the Pacific coastline.

Back to the discussion on the conference tournament, where . . . WOAH NOW.

Bring back the coastline.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:27 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:I don’t think I’m a big fan of the teal BY GAWD THE GAELS WON

This makes me so, so, so very irrationally happy. Zags were ranked #1 too. I LOVE IT!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:47 pm

60-47? 47 is a Pilotesqe score. GU was 2-17 from 3Pt, including 1-13 for the starters. Norvell 1-11 overall, and Perkins 4-14 overall. SMC had a 18-6 run over the last 9:17 to close it out after it was 42-41.

Wait for it, it is the league's fault for being so weak that they weren't prepared for tournament play. Or maybe it was having to play two games in two nights. Zags should get a bye to the finals.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:22 pm

"Irrationally happy" kind of describes where I'm at too. Huge tip of the hat to SMC and what Coach Bennett has done with them. Supposed to be a "rebuilding" year but had them on the bubble all year long, and then got it done tonight when they needed to. Very impressive for him and his players.

That knocks Gonzaga out of any discussion for the #1 overall seed and quite possibly drops them to a #2 seed. That loss killed them...a 5-2 Q1 record obviously would have looked a hell of a lot better than the 4-3 they'll go into Selection Sunday with.

SMC will be an interesting case to see where the selection committee puts them, given their great metrics (now 29 in Kenpom after the win) but underwhelming tournament resume. They look like a #11 or #12 seed to me, but what do I know?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:12 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:That knocks Gonzaga out of any discussion for the #1 overall seed and quite possibly drops them to a #2 seed. That loss killed them...a 5-2 Q1 record obviously would have looked a hell of a lot better than the 4-3 they'll go into Selection Sunday with.
Yeah, maybe not #1 overall using the NET that was released a few minutes ago, but with a number of conference tournament finals yet to be played, including the ACC with #1 Virginia, #3 Duke, and #7 UNC, the now #2 Bulldogs should still be a #1 seed if the seeding is to be based purely on the NCAA's NET.

Hard to say where SMC will be seeded, but their NET moved from #37 to #34 with tonight's win, and they are one of 32 automatic bids out of 68 total.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:49 pm

A tough couple of days in Las Vegas for Gonzaga, the women lost two of their players to knee injuries in their 2OT win over SMC yesterday, but lost to BYU today.

Ranked #12 coming into the WCC Tournament, Gonzaga should easily make the NCAA Tournament field along with BYU, the automatic bid.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:54 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:A tough couple of days in Las Vegas for Gonzaga, the women lost two of their players to knee injuries in their 2OT win over SMC yesterday, but lost to BYU today.

Ranked #12 coming into the WCC Tournament, Gonzaga should easily make the NCAA Tournament field along with BYU, the automatic bid.

While skimming through tweets, I believe I read that on top of that, their head coach had to leave during the fourth period due to a family emergency.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:00 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:While skimming through tweets, I believe I read that on top of that, their head coach had to leave during the fourth period due to a family emergency.
Ah, that's why her husband, assistant coach Craig Fortier, was running the show at the end of the game...had to be doubly tough for him.

EDIT: After watching tape of the game, it appeared both Lisa and a Craig Fortier departed the court together for a family emergency.....sometimes we need to step back and remember basketball is just a game.
EDIT 2: Craig Fortier did return to the bench, but Lisa had a car waiting to take her to a local Las Vegas hospital where her brother was/is under treatment.

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:09 pm

Postseason - WCC Tourney March 7-12, Las Vegas - Page 3 New_wc10
Stonehouse wrote:I don't hate it! Will take me a while to get used to that teal color though (the 90's are so hot right now!)... the WCC has been red/white/blue for as long as I can remember.

Seems to me Sonny Crockett was nearly kicked out of the Miami-Dade Police force for wearing teal back in the late 80's...
Postseason - WCC Tourney March 7-12, Las Vegas - Page 3 Teal10

But I guess if it works for Sound Voltex….
Postseason - WCC Tourney March 7-12, Las Vegas - Page 3 841-4810
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next