Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2020 Recruiting

+14
GoPilots19
SoCalPilot
Shadrach
Kevin
StudentPilot
Sound Voltex
optimist
OZBaller
NoPoNeighbor
SoCal_Pilot
Geezaldinho
Dean Murdoch
ExpatPilot
DoubleDipper
18 posters

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

2020 Recruiting - Page 9 Empty Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Fri May 22, 2020 11:41 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:...,obviously the scholarship situation is puzzling.
Not anymore!

Josh Phillips is transferring.

My guess is he'll end up at a D2 school...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 22, 2020 12:36 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Dean Murdoch wrote:...,obviously the scholarship situation is puzzling.
Not anymore!

Josh Phillips is transferring.

My guess is he'll end up at a D2 school...

Good luck to Josh. Wasn't able to contribute significantly in his time as a Pilot. Hope he does better in a new situation.

And we still need a big man.

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Fri May 22, 2020 1:19 pm

I knew Josh briefly, and evidently he was coachable because I think he was around 215 when he arrived at UP and Coach TP said he needed to put on some weight to compete.  I was told by one of his teammates he'd gotten up to around 260 this past season.

If he found another D1 school, would he have to sit another year after redshirting this past season?
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat May 23, 2020 12:09 am

StudentPilot wrote:I knew Josh briefly, and evidently he was coachable because I think he was around 215 when he arrived at UP and Coach TP said he needed to put on some weight to compete.  I was told by one of his teammates he'd gotten up to around 260 this past season.
If you look at his high school picture that you posted back in 2017, he was about 190 pounds, but almost 18 months later when he got to UP he was close to 220, and this past season he had definitely gotten heavier, but when I last saw him in early March I don’t think he was much over 250... Rolling Eyes  
StudentPilot wrote:
Dinos Trigonas wrote: Portland has offered 6-8 2018 Josh Phillips (Edison/Huntington Beach CA)
National Prep Hoops wrote: @Josh2Phillips this kid is one of the West Coast best kept secrets! Portland has officially offered , congrats  
2020 Recruiting - Page 9 Josh10
2020 Recruiting - Page 9 Philli10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat May 23, 2020 9:02 am

StudentPilot wrote:

If he found another D1 school, would he have to sit another year after redshirting this past season?

Here is the rule from ncaa.org.

Ncaa.org wrote: One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:

You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.
You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.
You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.
Waiver: An action that sets aside an NCAA rule because a specific, extraordinary circumstance prevents you from meeting the rule. An NCAA school may file a waiver on your behalf; you cannot file a waiver for yourself. The school does not administer the waiver, the conference office or NCAA does.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat May 23, 2020 10:27 am

up7587 wrote:And we still need a big man.
It now seems obvious the coaching staff has another plan…go small!

And it also seems obvious that the player they are attempting to sign is an experienced point guard who they expect to be their floor general to run the team for what will presumably be the last season for the current UP coaching staff...unless there’s a major turn-around.

Not to go negative here, but it also seems obvious the staff has consistently lost their targeted JUCO or grad-transfer point guard targets to other schools...so far. Evil or Very Mad

But on a positive note, there are one or two experienced quality point guards still waiting to find a school.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sat May 23, 2020 11:27 am

Geezaldinho wrote:
StudentPilot wrote:If he found another D1 school, would he have to sit another year after redshirting this past season?
Here is the rule from ncaa.org.
Ncaa.org wrote: One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:
Ah, okay...so I guess Josh may or may not have to sit a year, it just depends... scratch
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat May 23, 2020 11:34 am

StudentPilot wrote:
Ah, okay...so I guess Josh may or may not have to sit a year, it just depends... scratch

Only if his grades suck, I think.

I can’t think of a single case where UP has failed to grant a waiver, even for transfers within Conference. That’s a policy formed in Waldschmidt, not the Chiles center executive suites.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 26, 2020 9:11 am

StudentPilot wrote:Ah, okay...so I guess Josh may or may not have to sit a year, it just depends... scratch
In Josh’s case, he’s technically required to put in a year of residency at a new D1 school before he can begin playing…even though he redshirted his final year with the Pilots.

However, as stated, his new school could ask for a waiver to that requirement, and as UP appears to be welcoming his departure because it opens a scholarship to sign a guard, I don’t think there’s any doubt UP would agree to the waiver request…which would then be acted upon by the NCAA.

It was stated there is some precedence for UP granting waivers in the past:
Geezaldinho wrote:I can’t think of a single case where UP has failed to grant a waiver, even for transfers within Conference. That’s a policy formed in Waldschmidt, not the Chiles center executive suites.
But I can't recall any cases where a Pilot MBB player transferred within the WCC nor can I think of any Pilot MBB player who was granted waivers to play immediately.

It was certainly not the case for Tim Frost who transferred to Utah in 2001, for the five players who transferred to PSU: Jeremiah Dominguez, Alex Tiefenthaler, Jamie Jones, Tim Green, and Dorian Cason, or even Marcus Lewis who transferred to Oral Roberts and B.J. Porter who ended up at Weber St., or Colin Russell who transferred to UC Davis, all during the Reveno era.

And it was not the case for Jazz Johnson to Nevada, Joseph Smoyer to Columbia, or Marcus Shaver to Boise St., nor is it the case for Jacob Tryon to New Mexico St. and Theo Akwuba to Louisiana this year, as there was/is no basis for a waiver.

All had to sit a year or will have to sit a year before playing for their new school. (Hugh Hogland and Malcolm Porter are grad-transfers, they do not need a waiver to play immediately at UC Davis and Northern Arizona.)

Scholarships are technically year-to-year, and It would seem germane to the waiver request to know whether Josh on his own entered the transfer portal, or if UP pushed him there.  I this case I believe it was mutual as it opens a scholarship, but Josh is apparently also having some family issues.  

If he were to ask me, I would recommend a JUCO year in California to provide him some actual playing time to get in basketball condition, and then look to return to D1 without the need to sit a year…much like Chier Maker did before finishing his last two years at Idaho St.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Tue May 26, 2020 6:33 pm

Thanks for the explanation...I must admit I felt as though I needed a law degree to understand the NCAA rules on transferring.

From the little I know from one of his teammates, Josh needs to go the JUCO route or drop to a D2 school.

I remember that both Gabe Taylor and Jason Todd went to a D2 school, Cal Baptist (now a D1), but I think that was just so they would not have to sit a year and would still be able graduate on time after both realized they did not want to play for Porter.

Didn't Xavier Hallinan also transfer to a D2 school after having to sit a year at UP because he quickly found his transfer to Cal State Dominguez Hills was a mistake and he returned to Portland?
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu May 28, 2020 2:06 pm

So far, it has worked pretty well for MBB not having in-person recruiting, and apparently that's the way it's going to stay for a while longer.

Both the men's and women's basketball teams have one open scholarship, and I'm quite sure both teams are looking for a transfer, but I get the impression the women are willing to carry-over their scholarship to 2021 if they need to.

2020 Recruiting - Page 9 Ncaa_u12
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:06 am

During these difficult times in America and throughout the world, it just seemed another highlight tape of Zac Triplett was in order to make us feel slightly better about the future...

Gotta hope Zac and all the Australian student-athletes are allowed out of their country in time for the expected beginning of their college classes

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:36 am

Courtside Kev wrote:I always enjoyed the band director that wore the purple hair that would dance around when the music started playing.

Sadly, one season I showed up and he was no longer there. I asked somebody about him and they said that he had passed away from an illness. I miss the heck out of that guy and oftentimes find myself looking over that way to reminisce.
June 2, 2008…Dr. C passed away.

Because Courtside Kev has renewed our interest in Dr. C., I thought it appropriate that we remember him approaching the anniversary of his passing 12 years ago by bringing back his original thread.
https://www.pilotnation.net/t936-in-memory-of-dr-c?highlight=memorial

It is too bad that the pictures and links from the thread have disappeared over the years, and apparently he was never inducted into the UP Hall of Fame…an oversight that, with the right application of words on a nomination, should be corrected.  

I don’t think it’s too late, as Buzz Stroud, who knew Dr. C well, and is now retired from the Athletic Department, still runs the HOF Committee proceedings.

Here’s the link to make that nomination:
https://portlandpilots.com/sb_output.aspx?form=19&path=general
PilotNut wrote:I am not sure if everyone knows that Dr. C wrote the music for the UP fight song, while Fr. Oddo wrote the lyrics; sadly, both have now left us.
Few of us know all the words to the UP Victory March produced in 1984, except perhaps V-I-C-T-O-R-Y. and as PilotNut stated, the lyrics were written by former UP President Fr. Tom Oddo, who was tragically killed in a car crash 30 years ago, and the familiar music was written by Dr. C...

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:56 am

So my parents made the trip down to visit a few times while I was at UP. They made it a point to come down to three or four soccer games because they wanted to see Christine Sinclair play.

But what my mom remembers most about her visits is the one basketball game they went to. Not because it was a great game - and it was, the Pilots ended up losing by a point to a SMC team that went on to the NCAA tournament - but because of Dr. C's antics. Years later, she still brings up the "band guy with the purple hair" and how much of a kick she got out of him.

I wonder how many people out there are like my mom - knowledge of any college sports close to nil, but left with a positive impression of UP and the Pilots regardless because of how much fun and energy Dr. C brought to the Chiles Center. I think he'd be a very worthy nominee of UP HOF honors.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:54 pm

Thank you for posting this DD. He definitely belongs in the UP HOF.

Happy Birthday Dr. C! THANK YOU for the memories!

My gift to him will be random postings of 8x10's in random places at random games throughout the season.

Kevin
Kevin
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2020-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:20 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:During these difficult times in America and throughout the world, it just seemed another highlight tape of Zac Triplett was in order to make us feel slightly better about the future...

Gotta hope Zac and all the Australian student-athletes are allowed out of their country in time for the expected beginning of their college classes

Looks like HS kids in Australia don’t play defense either.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:34 am

Courtside Kev wrote:Thank you for posting this DD. He definitely belongs in the UP HOF.
Dr. C passed away eight years ago today.

This is the wonderful eulogy offered by PilotDrummer at Dr. C's service in 2008:
When asked by Dr. Connolly to reflect on Dr. Cansler, I wondered what to say. Then I was handed reflections by students and faculty about Dr. Cansler and realized how much there is to say. Reading the thoughts of others made me think about the great many stories there are about the man we knew as Dr. C.

I knew Dr. C for seven years and I think I owe him a great deal for those seven years. My first memory of him, like many incoming freshmen, was the summer before my arrival on the Bluff. I was sitting at home enjoying some down time when the phone rang. On the other end was some guy named Philip Cansler from the University of Portland, saying “I see you played in band in high school, what did you play and have you considered playing in college?” To be honest, I hadn’t. Being a percussionist in high school, while fun, was a little more work than I’d felt like doing and I really didn’t think that I was cut out to be a college musician. But, after talking to him for a few minutes I said to myself, “Well, if it’s really bad, you probably can drop the class…”

Fast forward to the first week of school and Wednesday night at 7:10 in Buckley Center Auditorium. It’s the first night of band. This man introduces himself as Dr. Philip Cansler…but we can call him Dr. C. And he laughs. Those of you who know Dr. C know his laugh, but for those of us who were hearing it for the first time, we looked at each other, as if to say “Who is this guy, and why does he think today is Halloween?”

The laugh fits. The man had an incredible joie de vivre. He was always smiling and upbeat. Some band directors control their bands by yelling and screaming. Not Dr. C – even when major mistakes were made (and I made a few), he had great constructive criticism and encouraging words. He never failed to praise students who did it right. He was there to make music with us, yes…but he was also there to have fun.

Nowhere else did he exude fun quite like in the Pep Band. There he was, in his purple suit, with a purple wig, purple basketball shoes, a purple shirt, purple tie, and purple trumpet. I won’t speculate on purple underwear or socks, but he did drive a purple car. In fact, sometimes I wonder…if we cut him, would he bleed purple? With the Chiles Center as his stage, this upbeat and fun-loving musician went wild. Dancing in front of the band—or surfing, whatever the music called for—blasting high notes for so long it seemed the roof would lift off the building, or riding that trumpet around the court during the William Tell Overture. He once told me the story of how he came to have a purple suit…supposedly the Athletics department came to him and said “If you don’t ride your trumpet around the court, can we buy you a purple suit?” “Sure,” he said. He fed off the energy of the crowd. That energy went right back into the band. In close games, sometimes he’d turn to the band and say “Band, it’s up to us,” hoping that the energy with which we played would spur the Pilots to victory. “What a band” indeed.

The fun and excitement lives on. It lives in the music we play, loud, boisterous, and expressive as the man it represents. It’s in the purple wigs at basketball games and even soccer games. It lives in all of us. For me, and perhaps for others, there’s a sense of regret. A regret of not being able to say “thank you.” Thank you for your enthusiasm; thank you your sense of humor and fun. Thank you for the opportunity to make music.

On behalf of all of us, thank you, Dr. C.
Remember, you can nominate Dr. Phil Cansler for the UP HOF here:
https://portlandpilots.com/sb_output.aspx?form=19&path=general
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:41 am

Will do!
Kevin
Kevin
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:08 pm

Ugh! The phone number field doesn't work!
Kevin
Kevin
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:18 am

Courtside Kev wrote:Ugh! The phone number field doesn't work!
Thanks, I'll look into that.

Side note: The purple suit worn by Dr. C. was custom made for him by Nick Baumann, UP Class of 1951, a veteran the Pacific Campaign during WWII.

Nick and his wife Dorothy were long-time UP basketball and soccer season ticket holders who rarely, if ever, missed a game, even on those cold and rainy days at Merlo where they could be seen wrapped in a blanket and poncho behind the goal.

In addition to Pilots games, Nick was one of the original season ticket holders to Trailblazer games and was always recognizable as the "best dressed" fan in Memorial Coliseum.  Custom suit creations made by Nick were often worn around town and on the road by Blazer players, including current UP coach, Terry Porter.

Nick once told me the custom suit worn by Dr. C was built to last "about five years, but he's still wearing it almost 15 years later."  

Sadly, Nick passed away three years ago at age 94.

2020 Recruiting - Page 9 Dr-can11
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:22 am

GREAT story DD! Thanks for sharing!
Kevin
Kevin
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Aussie Baller Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:20 am

You will love the kid DoubleDipper, one of my favorite Aussie kids, he literally shoots the **** out of it.
I spoke to his dad on the weekend, and Zac has put on 5 kgs, and has been training in the GYM getting up a heap of shots.

He is definitly coming and was hoping to arrive, July or August 1st at the latest, he will arrive fit and ready by the sound of it.
The kid is quality, and will be a favorite PILOT, super IQ, and just wins, cant wait to watch him develop in the Portland program.

Geezaldinho wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:During these difficult times in America and throughout the world, it just seemed another highlight tape of Zac Triplett was in order to make us feel slightly better about the future...

Aussie Baller
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2020-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Aussie Baller Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:27 am

Geezaldinho wrote:

Bit harsh Geezaldinho, those highlights were from the Australian National champs in Feb, Zac is a Victorian kid they won the gold medal on the back of Tripletts 6x 3s and Next Gen star Josh Giddey, who has turned pro,with the NBL Adelaide 36rs.

Vic had 7 kids commit to div 1 colleges, 1 pro, whilst Qld had 3 pro development NBL players with the Brisbane Bullets, and they couldnt stop Zac or Josh.

Aussie Baller
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2020-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:20 am

Spotted this on eBay last evening, a Philip Cansler/UP vinyl album from 1981-82.  I no longer have a turntable, or I'd probably snap it up.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSITY-OF-PORTLAND-OREGON-1981-82-BANDS-VINYL-LP-PHILIP-T-CANSLER-DIRECTOR/192866678821?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649#viTabs_0

2020 Recruiting - Page 9 Screen13
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:30 am

It's nice to see that Triplett is more than just a spot up shooter!
Kevin
Kevin
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next