Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2019 Recruiting

+11
JimmAlacki
dholcombe
PilotNut
wrv
NoPoNeighbor
StudentPilot
ExpatPilot
Sound Voltex
Geezaldinho
Dean Murdoch
DoubleDipper
15 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

2019 Recruiting - Page 3 Empty Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:15 pm

The basketball early signing week begins Wednesday morning and it is expected that verbally committed 7-1 center Cody Collinsworth and 6-2 combo guard Donyae McCaskill will be signing their LOIs in the next day or two.
2019 Recruiting - Page 3 Cody1010

2019 Recruiting - Page 3 Donyae10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:53 pm

Welcome Donyae and Cody.

Go Pilolts.

https://portlandpilots.com/

DD, there is no mention of the Pilots signing another student athlete this fall. Do you have a sense of whether they prefer to wait until spring to sign any others. What is the scholarship situation if everyone returns?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:08 pm

wrv wrote:DD, there is no mention of the Pilots signing another student athlete this fall. Do you have a sense of whether they prefer to wait until spring to sign any others. What is the scholarship situation if everyone returns?
We'll just have to wait until Stonehouse gives us the pictorial view, but when Cody's and Donyae's scholarships start counting this summer the Pilots will be one over the limit with 14....so someone will obviously be transferring or giving up their scholarship.

My guess is the staff is expecting at least one player to transfer, and it would not surprise me if more than one decides to move on.

I don't see how there'll be any more signings this fall, but that doesn't mean the coaches will stop looking for someone to sign in the spring in the event more scholarships become available....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:17 pm

Seems that UP and the WCC are counting on the Pilots to have a 'peak' year next season, given our berth in the Diamond Head Classic holiday tournament. McCaskill and Collingsworth both seem like they'll be able to contribute right away.

My recollection is that the WCC has helped us get into higher profile tournaments in the past (76 Classic, Wooden Legacy) when it is anticipated that we'll have a relatively strong team. Next year should be the first season that Coach Porter has a truly experienced team with his own recruits. I'm hopeful that we can make some serious strides this season in order to build some momentum and confidence for the following year.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:40 pm

It was less than three minutes into the beginning of the season when UP commit Donyae McCaskill made his first dunk of the year....wouldn't it be nice if the UP crowd would go as crazy as those attending this game at his high school in St. Louis.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqV_T6nBBTi/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=2za07aoxzmej

We've been told that if Donyae were a great shooter he'd have been snapped up by a high-major because of his athleticism and bounce....those two qualities are exhibited here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrRWs0Phzte/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=zxdit7bf3csb
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:47 pm

Clarence Jackson wrote:Blessed to receive a Division 1 offer from the Legendary Coach Terry Porter and the University of Portland staff
#GoPilots
Hmm, with no scholarships available, and  with both Franklin and Josh having a year of eligibility remaing, but graduting in May, do you suppose the staff is considering going even younger...?

Clarence Jackson is an athletic 6-7 prep school small forward from the Atlanta area...

2019 Recruiting - Page 3 Dwbbxf10

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:49 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Clarence Jackson wrote:Blessed to receive a Division 1 offer from the Legendary Coach Terry Porter and the University of Portland staff
#GoPilots
Hmm, with no scholarships available, and  with both Franklin and Josh having a year of eligibility remaing, but graduting in May, do you suppose the staff is considering going even younger...?
At this point what I suppose is that Franklin Porter does not plan to return. Why would I suppose this? I suppose my supposition is based on DoubleDipper's repeated hints here on PilotNation about insider knowledge he has that this is the case. Do you suppose he might be right?

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:54 pm

I don't know that the staff is considering going younger, but I'm sure they're considering trying to get better.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:32 pm

The pre-game press release mentions a sophomore walk-on that joined the program in December, Dillon Scarboro. Did I totally miss this?!

According to verbal commits and the UP site, he is 6'7", 235 lbs., PF, from Fairbanks, AK.

confused

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:05 pm

PilotNut wrote:The pre-game press release mentions a sophomore walk-on that joined the program in December, Dillon Scarboro.  Did I totally miss this?!

According to verbal commits and the UP site, he is 6'7", 235 lbs., PF, from Fairbanks, AK.

confused
Haha, no you didn't miss it...this is the first time it has been mentioned in print.

During a pregame talk Coach Cantu told us Dillon, a student at UP and the son of military parents, was seen playing intramural ball and was invited to join the team as "practice player" who could bang with the big guys while saving wear and tear on the scholarship players.  

I haven't met Dillon yet, but we probably should go out of our way to let him know how much we appreciate his helping the team...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:09 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:At this point what I suppose is that Franklin Porter does not plan to return. Why would I suppose this? I suppose my supposition is based on DoubleDipper's repeated hints here on PilotNation about insider knowledge he has that this is the case. Do you suppose he might be right?

If there's one thing I've learned from posting on this board over the past decade, it's never to doubt DD!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:53 pm

Elias Spiet wrote:BREAKING: Sean Miller-Moore @RugzyMontvna was just offered by Portland. He's averaging 18.8 ppg (60% FG), 6.5 rpg and 2.6 apg while Moberly is on a 8 game win streak. #GameSpeaks
Sean is from up there around Mississauga, in Brampton, Ontario, but is now in his second year at Moberly Area Community College in Missouri.

A 6-5 wing, Sean can certainly go high!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:26 am

I wildly applaud this offer.

Average Pilots Kenpom rank the last 10 seasons...
...with a Canadian on the roster: 132
...without a Canadian on the roster: 270

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:35 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:I wildly applaud this offer.

Average Pilots Kenpom rank the last 10 seasons...
...with a Canadian on the roster: 132
...without a Canadian on the roster: 270

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mitrovic and Hannibal, right? Were there any others?

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:41 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Mitrovic and Hannibal, right? Were there any others?

Huh, I actually forgot about Mitrovic.

Hannibal and Riley Barker were the ones that came to mind for me.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:12 am

Mitrovic’s last year might drag down your “With a Canadian” KenPom average.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:59 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Mitrovic’s last year might drag down your “With a Canadian” KenPom average.

Sigh. What was once merely a useless stat is now a useless AND incorrect stat. Nothing to see here, folks.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:47 am

For what it is worth, I found it amusing. Not much of that sentiment on here lately!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:13 pm

The coaching staff is on him:
@sportsinkansas wrote:Tymer Jackson of Olathe North, ranked #3 in 6A, is lighting it up in 2018-2019. The senior is averaging 26.3 points per game this year. He's scored over 20 in 12 of 14 games and in double figures all 14 games. Has scored 62 points over last two games. North has won 9 of last 10
Jackson put up 30 in Olathe North's win over 2nd ranked Lawrence on February 1st....on live TV in Kansas.

2019 Recruiting - Page 3 Jackso11
That's mom on the right...this afternoon.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:57 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Sean is from up there around Mississauga, in Brampton, Ontario, but is now in his second year at Moberly Area Community College in Missouri.

I just noticed you said "up there" in relation to Mississauga! Considering Portland is north of Mississauga (and by a considerable margin) you might want to go with "over there" next time the Pilots offer a kid from the Greater Toronto Area Very Happy
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:51 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:Sean is from up there around Mississauga, in Brampton, Ontario, but is now in his second year at Moberly Area Community College in Missouri.

I just noticed you said "up there" in relation to Mississauga! Considering Portland is north of Mississauga (and by a considerable margin) you might want to go with "over there" next time the Pilots offer a kid from the Greater Toronto Area Very Happy

OK, I had to check this one. Mississauga is about the same latitude as Yoncalla, on latitude 43.59 about 135 miles south of the Bluff as the crow flies. Since it is 2,100 miles east, "over there" seems appropriate.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:17 pm

Coach Geving has been recruiting in Texas, and today this:
JUCORecruiting.com wrote:Portland and Arkansas-Little Rock have offered Jawaun Daniels (6’7, W, 2019) of Odessa College

Originally from Harlem or Brooklyn, depending upon which site you look at, Daniels also has known offers from Jacksonville St. and Iona, and is being courted by South Carolina, Florida A&M, and Buffalo.

His Odessa stats are unremarkable, but Coach G obviously sees the athleticism and leadership UP is looking for....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:39 pm

Just looked up his numbers, Daniels averages 9.8 PPG and 5.3 RPG.

But going purely off of numbers, can Geving offer this James Reese guy while he's at Odessa? 47% from three, 90% free throw shooter, recent offers from Boise State and St. Bonaventure. Started out at Buffalo last year as a freshman and is busting out at Odessa as a sophomore.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:48 pm

Is Geving still considered an interim assistant coach just for this year?

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmAlacki Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:49 pm

What happened to Kramer Knudson?

JimmAlacki
Recruit
Recruit