Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2019 Recruiting

Go down

2019 Recruiting Empty 2019 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:35 pm

Megan Engesser, a 5-9 forward from Colorado Springs Christian School, verbally committed to the University of Portland today.

This past season she led the Lions to a second straight state 3A championship game averaging 21.4 points - ranked seventh in the state. She also averaged 6.4 rebounds. 4.2 steals and 2.9 assists as a junior.

She has already reached the 1,000-point mark in her career, and enters her final varsity season with 1,420 points.

“She plays really, really hard defense, and that’s her best quality,” her father/coach, Mark Engesser, said. “She will dive on the floor and rebounds amongst the big girls down there. She led us in rebounding despite being 5-9 just because she plays so hard and goes and gets the ball.”
2019 Recruiting 5b6a3a10

I believe the Pilots also have commitments from one student-athlete in Seattle and one in Australia for 2019, but I don't recall their names.   Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2019 Recruiting Empty Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:12 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Megan Engesser, a 5-9 forward from Colorado Springs Christian School, verbally committed to the University of Portland today.
I believe the Pilots also have commitments from one student-athlete in Seattle and one in Australia for 2019, but I don't recall their names.   Rolling Eyes
The names I couldn't recall are  Keeley Frawley, 6-0 guard (Melbourne, Australia/Haileybury College), and Kelsey Lenzie, 5-7 guard (Seattle, Wash./West Seattle HS).  They and Megan Engesser, 5-10 guard/forward (Colorado Springs, Colo./Colorado Springs Christian HS), have each signed a National Letter of Intent and will join the Pilots as freshmen this coming summer.

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2018/11/19/wbb-pilots-add-three-recruits-to-the-program.aspx?path=wbball
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 15, 2019 3:28 pm

Rose Pflug, a 5-11 guard transferring from Pepperdine, will join her Sunset HS teammate Maddie Mulheim and the rest of the Pilots this summer, but will likely have to sit a season before taking the floor in competition.
2019 Recruiting Pflug10
Maddie and Rose

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2019/5/15/wbb-portland-native-rose-pflug-commits-to-the-pilots.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:23 pm

After 6-1 forward, Alex Fowler, from Townsville, Australia, signed with UP in May, I've been looking forward to seeing the complete roster for the upcoming season, as it may for the first time in my memory, include as many 14 scholarship players.  

The women are allowed 15 scholarships, but in recent years (much to Geezer's complaints) the squad has had no more than 12 or 13 scholarship players...last years team was comprised of 12 scholarship players and two walk-ons, as I recall.

The addition of Fowler means five new faces will be on the team this coming season, although it's still unknown whether Rose Pflug, a transfer from Pepperdine, will be eligible in the fall.

Fowler's addition also means there will be three Aussies on the team (freshmen Fowler and Keeley Fawley, and sophomore Haylee Andrews). To what extent, I'm not sure, but I've been told men's assistant, Ben Johnson, has been instrumental in all three players coming to UP.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:48 am

I think we're going to like this student-athlete from Australia...
UP Athletics wrote:Incoming Portland women's basketball freshman Alex Fowler led her team in both scoring and rebounding as Australia finished second overall at the 2019 FIBA U-19 Women's World Cup, which recently concluded in Bangkok, Thailand. Fowler, who averaged team-highs of 9.0 points and 10.0 rebounds per game, landed on the World Cup's All-Star Team, and she was fourth overall in rebounding at the tournament.

2019 Recruiting Alex_f10
https://portlandpilots.com/news/2019/8/1/wbb-fowler-shines-at-fiba-u-19-womens-world-cup.aspx?path=wbball
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:25 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I think we're going to like this student-athlete from Australia...
UP Athletics wrote:Incoming Portland women's basketball freshman Alex Fowler led her team in both scoring and rebounding as Australia finished second overall at the 2019 FIBA U-19 Women's World Cup, which recently concluded in Bangkok, Thailand. Fowler, who averaged team-highs of 9.0 points and 10.0 rebounds per game, landed on the World Cup's All-Star Team, and she was fourth overall in rebounding at the tournament.

2019 Recruiting Alex_f10
https://portlandpilots.com/news/2019/8/1/wbb-fowler-shines-at-fiba-u-19-womens-world-cup.aspx?path=wbball
The Pilots sweep the Player of the Week award, as freshman Alex Fowler joins Isaiah White in winning this week's award.

Alex averaged 23.5 points and 7.0 rebounds in two games last week, shooting .760 from the field, hitting 19 of 25 shots overall while averaging 32 minutes per game with the team down to only eight scholarship players available.

Two weeks ago, fellow Australian, sophomore Haylee Andrews won the award...unfortunately, Haylee is now out with an injury for 6-8 weeks.

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2019/11/25/wbb-fowler-named-wcc-player-of-the-week.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down