Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2018 Recruiting

+14
The Wingman
blacksheep
pilotdad1
Sound Voltex
wrv
Stonehouse
ExpatPilot
PilotNut
StudentPilot
NoPoNeighbor
dholcombe
Geezaldinho
Dean Murdoch
DoubleDipper
18 posters

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

2018 Recruiting - Page 4 Empty Re: 2018 Recruiting

Post by wrv Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:43 pm

This information may already have been posted by DD (I did not check) but of some interest are his other offers and recruiting interest:

6-8 2018 PF Josh Phillips (Edison/Huntington Beach CA) has verbally committed to University of Portland and head coach Terry Porter (former NBA guard and NBA head coach).

Phillips picked the Pilots over offers from Nevada, Long Beach State, Fordham, Portland State, Cal Baptist and Florida International and interest from Boise State, UC-Santa Barbara, Utah State, Eastern Washington and UC-Riverside.

According to Area Codes Basketball
https://areacodesbasketball.org/2017/09/05/belmont-shore-forward-josh-phillips-to-portland/

Welcome Josh. That will be a crowded front court.

My edit with a comment on Phillips' recruiting from DD:

"Phillips, from Huntington Beach, bypassed known offers from Utah State, Eastern Washington, UCSB, Nevada, Fordham, Florida International, Long Beach State, Cal Baptist and Portland State to commit to UP."

Back to work/salt mines.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1443
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:10 pm

Not only was Josh excited to enroll at UP after his visit, his mom was REALLY impressed with the academic and religious aspect of UP when she visited with her son....and mom's usually know best! Cool

Everything I've read lists Josh as a "sleeper," maybe that's the code for under the radar, but I think it's more about "boundless potential" that will develop with the right tutelage.

Yes, he only averaged six ppg his junior year, but he was first team all-league, and TP was looking for a shot blocker/rebounder who can go to the hoop when the backcourt is not getting the job done.

Don't know what will happen, but I'd still like to see Hugh Hogland redshirt this year and possibly join Phillips next year, or wait a year for Josh while he sits for a year.  Either way, I think they'll be the quality post players UP has not seen for awhile.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11391
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:52 am

And the beat goes on.....

Interesting that to this point in the early signing period, the WCC schools are for the most part signing 2-star athletes.  

The exception being SCU with a 2.5-star SG from Charlotte, and GU with a 3.5-star point guard from Wisconsin, and a 4-star power forward from Belgrade, Serbia.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:23 pm

Phillips had 8 rebounds, 5 blocks and 10 points in a game earlier this month. He and Hartwich may have similar affects on games--we'll see.

http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/sports/tn-dpt-sp-edison-boys-basketball-tamanawis-20171205-story.html

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:19 am

I don't know if these two bits of information are related, but TP has sold his Porsche and he will cover the cost of Franklin's education for at least another year.  tongue

After evaluating the team moving forward, it became pretty obvious the guard situation is okay, especially if Crisshawn and Taki are healthy, but there is a real need for more athleticism on the inside.  

It wouldn't be surprising if 2018 recruit Josh Phillips were to redshirt, and with the uncertainty of Austin playing at UP again, combined with Hugh being a freshman and Joseph not yet emerging as a force inside, the Pilots are likely looking for at least one more big man....and maybe as many as two or three more players total depending on who might transfer off the team.

Bottom line....it was once thought Phillips would be the only recruit for next year.....that has now changed!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:28 am

wrv wrote:Phillips had 8 rebounds, 5 blocks and 10 points in a game earlier this month. He and Hartwich may have similar affects on games--we'll see.

http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/sports/tn-dpt-sp-edison-boys-basketball-tamanawis-20171205-story.html

In an MLK Day game yesterday Josh blocked 7 shots to go with his 12 points and 5 rebounds.

www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/sports/tn-dpt-sp-edison-dos-pueblos-20180115-htmlstory.html
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:45 pm

StudentPilot wrote:UP just offered 6-11/200 New Zealand C Yuat Alok, a sophomore this coming season at Chipola JUCO in Florida.
Yuat Alok was recruited by at least 20 schools, the majority of which were Power Six schools, and today he committed to TCU....at least he'll be wearing purple!  

I personally think that's a great move for him....I really like the way Coach Jamie Dixon has turned that program around.

Note: Verbal Commits currently lists four 2018 recruits as having offers from UP: Bridges, Cisse, Majak, and Harvey.....I don't think UP is currently pursuing any of those players.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:17 pm

Feeling this thread needs a little excitement, I'm posting a video link that was recently sent to me by a friend in the UK (I lived there for eight years), who says this guy, AJ Edu, is getting a "lot of interest."

Erik Spoelstra and Marcus Shaver both have Filipina mothers, so it seems to me there's no reason UP shouldn't go after Edu, who also has a Filipina mother, is a member of the Philippine National Team, and is now living in England.

To my knowledge UP has not made an offer to Edu, but according to my UK (not Kentucky) friend, there is some mutual interest.....

Best part for me, was his full court dribble(s) and dunk(s)!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:04 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Feeling this thread needs a little excitement, I'm posting a video link that was recently sent to me by a friend in the UK (I lived there for eight years), who says this guy, AJ Edu, is getting a "lot of interest."
AJ Edu will be flying from England to take part in Basketball Without Borders as part of the NBA All-Star Game weekend in LA, but college coaches are not allowed to watch the international prep players during that tournament.....but it wouldn't surprise me if AJ is invited back to the States in March for an "official" visit on the Bluff.

In the meantime, UP has offered 6-10/240 Jeff Otchere, a redshirt freshman at Garden City Community College. Otchere, from Bronx, NY, spent a redshirt year at Delaware State last year and will have 3 years of eligibility at the D1 level. Probably a long shot for the Pilots as he has more than 20 offers, many of which are from East Coast school, but as he's also been offered by PSU and SCU, I think UP has to match their offers.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:18 pm

This morning Verbal Commits wrote that UP had made an offer to PG Ricky Torres, a sophomore at Missouri State University-West Plains, a JUCO.

I'm pretty sure that is "fake news." The MBB staff has repeatedly said the team has enough guards, including point guards, and that they are looking for forwards and centers only.  

One can only guess that it was the other Portland, "Portland Freakin State," that made the offer, but they have a wonderful point guard in freshman Holland Woods, but on the other hand, they've got offers out to four other JUCO point guards, one of whom has apparently already signed.... Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:29 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I'm pretty sure that is "fake news." The MBB staff has repeatedly said the team has enough guards, including point guards, and that they are looking for forwards and centers only.  

Yeah, I was contemplating a post recently looking at how many guards are on our roster, and how playing time might work out next year when Chrisshawn Clark becomes eligible. I decided to wait until the season was over. We can have that discussion in the offseason thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:13 am

The anchor of the defense Boyce was referring to was University of Portland-bound Josh Phillips. The senior scored 11 points to go with 16 rebounds, two blocked shots and two steals.
Josh's Edison High team dominated in its 86-62 first-round victory over visiting Esperanza on Wednesday night in the CIF Southern Section Division 1 playoffs.

Take a look at the pictures of Josh (#10) in the article, he's maturing....

www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/sports/tn-dpt-sp-hb-edison-esperanza-20180214-story.html
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:22 am

Josh shoots free throws at a higher percentage than Hartwich . . .right?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:21 pm

wrv wrote:Josh shoots free throws at a higher percentage than Hartwich . . .right?
Josh's team, Edison, was eliminated in the second round of the playoffs.  I haven't seen anything about Josh's performance or his ability to shoot free throws.

At a gathering last week TP said that Josh will need to eat lots of "meat and potatoes" in an attempt to fill out his 6-8 frame to prepare him for D1 basketball.  TP also commented that Josh needed to work on the offensive part of his game, and he'd like to seem him develop a "back to the basket" game.  Prior to signing with UP, Josh stated, “I definitely want to improve my 15 foot shot and my ball handling so I can be more of a three. Hitting the weight room and getting bigger will help me compete on the next level as a three or four.”

With Joseph again looking good in end-of-season practice and games, Hugh coming off his redshirt year, and the staff looking for at least one more 3/4/5 to compliment those two and Tahirou (D) and Josh McSwiggan, it seems pretty assured that Josh Phillips will redshirt next season.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:07 pm

Perhaps it has been previously reported, but Pilots appear to be recruiting at least one JUCO point according to Verbal Commits, Ricky Torres.

http://www.ozarkradionews.com/sports/torres-again-named-region-16-player-of-the-week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CAyzJQBLQ0&feature=youtu.be

Interesting in light of Jojo's performance at year end. There is a great deal of competition for this young man--don't know if he is inclined to pledge elsewhere.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:57 pm

wrv wrote:Perhaps it has been previously reported, but Pilots appear to be recruiting at least one JUCO point according to Verbal Commits, Ricky Torres.
Yes it has, and note DD's comment on February 7th, above.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:24 am

DoubleDipper wrote:This morning Verbal Commits wrote that UP had made an offer to PG Ricky Torres, a sophomore at Missouri State University-West Plains, a JUCO.

I'm pretty sure that is "fake news." The MBB staff has repeatedly said the team has enough guards, including point guards, and that they are looking for forwards and centers only.  

One can only guess that it was the other Portland, "Portland Freakin State," that made the offer, but they have a wonderful point guard in freshman Holland Woods, but on the other hand, they've got offers out to four other JUCO point guards, one of whom has apparently already signed.... Rolling Eyes

On the subject of how to improve the team, an upgrade at the point does not seem improbable even if the news of Ricky Torres' recruitment is mere fantasy.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:54 am

Apparently there are a couple of recruits visiting campus over the next few days....

The first is a potential preferred walk-on from California who apparently has the potential to be a better player than a couple of the scholarship guards already on the UP roster.

The second, from overseas, is a potential starter at C/PF on next year's team...if he signs.

OSAA Tournament is going on this week in the Chiles Center, but I know of no potential UP recruits from Oregon.

Only one scholarship available as of now, but expecting two or three to open up before the signing period begins in five weeks (April 11).  Wouldn't be surprised to see at least another three or four more official visitors before then.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:41 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Apparently there are a couple of recruits visiting campus over the next few days....

The first is a potential preferred walk-on from California who apparently has the potential to be a better player than a couple of the scholarship guards already on the UP roster.

The second, from overseas, is a potential starter at C/PF on next year's team...if he signs.

OSAA Tournament is going on this week in the Chiles Center, but I know of no potential UP recruits from Oregon.

Only one scholarship available as of now, but expecting two or three to open up before the signing period begins in five weeks (April 11).  Wouldn't be surprised to see at least another three or four more official visitors before then.

Stone in particular and likely Jackson are possible candidates for departure and transfer. That's two that might well be expected, but three . . .? I do not assume you are alluding to Marcus.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:27 am

wrv wrote:Stone in particular and likely Jackson are possible candidates for departure and transfer. That's two that might well be expected, but three . . .? I do not assume you are alluding to Marcus.
No, I'm pretty confident Marcus is in for the long haul, and if Crisshawn stays healthy and others emerge to be his backup, Marcus could slip into the starting point guard position next season and stay there.

I was referring to Joseph, who is apparently attempting to find a good fit somewhere in the eastern US, and possibly play ball in the Ivy or Patriot leagues.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:01 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Apparently there are a couple of recruits visiting campus over the next few days....

As a lifetime 49ers fan it was easy to recognize former 49ers linebacker Keena Turner on campus Wednesday, despite the fact he was NOT wearing his four Super Bowl rings.

Turns out his son, Miles, was interested in attending UP starting in the fall as a preferred walk-on, despite being actively recruited by Head Coach Matt Painter at Purdue, his dad's alma mater.  Already accepted at both schools and in the Ivy League, Turner played football and basketball in high school and boasts a 3.5 GPA and a 1250 SAT...

Friday evening:
Bruno @MilesTurner21 wrote:Blessed to say my dreams of playing D1 college basketball are coming true! I want to thank my family, friends, and coaches for all their support. With that being said I am committing to the University of Portland #GoPilots  
I think you'll like what you see and read here:
www.ncsasports.org/mens-basketball-recruiting/california/tracy/tracy-high-school/miles-turner

2018 Recruiting - Page 4 Turner10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:25 am

That’s great! Welcome to the Bluff! My only question is “why us over Purdue?”

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 781
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:34 am

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:That’s great! Welcome to the Bluff! My only question is “why us over Purdue?”
scratch Hmm, seems a strange question on a Pilots fan forum, but just like so many of us who chose UP over a number of other universities (or service academies), there are probably a myriad of reasons....some which you might be able to list yourself.

For me it was the sense or feel of "community" compared to larger schools, even if one of those larger schools was also located in a small Indiana town, or even in Colorado Springs... Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:13 am

Tough to have much of an informed opinion on Miles Turner when there's close to zero available information about him.

(I chose UP because the other school that needed someone to start in January told me to go pound sand. Whatever, I didn't want to go to Creighton anyway)
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Tough to have much of an informed opinion on Miles Turner when there's close to zero available information about him.

(I chose UP because the other school that needed someone to start in January told me to go pound sand. Whatever, I didn't want to go to Creighton anyway)
Haha, "go pound sand," I haven't heard that expression used in donkey's years....

You were able to view Turner's recruiting tape, right?

I don't really know which other schools were interested in him besides Purdue, Penn, and Portland....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next