Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2018 Recruiting

+14
The Wingman
blacksheep
pilotdad1
Sound Voltex
wrv
Stonehouse
ExpatPilot
PilotNut
StudentPilot
NoPoNeighbor
dholcombe
Geezaldinho
Dean Murdoch
DoubleDipper
18 posters

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

2018 Recruiting Empty 2018 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Thu May 07, 2015 8:47 pm

Yep, 2018....but all part of developing relationships with young recruits and their coaches.
AZ Power Basketball @AzPowerBball  
Congrats to our AZ Power Alaskan @kamaka_hepa4 on Offer #2 from University of Portland
@kamaka_hepa4 is Kamaka Hepa, a 6-8/210 small forward from Barrow, Alaska who also plays AAU ball in Arizona.

You can see from the video why Hepa is receiving offers....Grand Canyon was first, then UP, then USF.

To put the Class of 2018 in perspective, Hepa will be a college freshman just after SF Jason Todd graduates from UP
Portland is an easy connect from Barrow through Anchorage on Alaska Airlines.....just saying. Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11391
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2018 Recruiting Empty Re: 2018 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:30 pm

Hepa, now 6-9, says he has offers from University of New Mexico, Northern Colorado, University of Portland, University of San Francisco, Grand Canyon University, and Alaska-Anchorage.

He also has stated he plans to stay on the West Coast to make it easier for his family to attend his games.

But before he gets to college, he's now looking for a high school in the lower 48 that will give him more opportunity for his basketball development and greater competition.

Hmm, wouldn't it be nice if UP were to have graduate of La Salle Catholic College Prep, who has a deadly perimeter game, on it's roster in 2018.  I hope the La Salle principal knows that Kamaka Hepa is looking for high school.

Barrow isn't exactly a hub of activity or a destination, but you can get there from PDX in two hops on Alaska Air.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:50 am

@earlwatsonelite wrote:Congrats to our guy 2018 Riley Battin Oak Park on his offer from Portland. First of many. Leads sfate of CA in scoring. #production

6-9, 210 PF and apparently leads the state in scoring?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:52 pm

Terry Cahill wrote:
@earlwatsonelite wrote:Congrats to our guy 2018 Riley Battin Oak Park on his offer from Portland. First of many. Leads sfate of CA in scoring. #production
6-9, 210 PF and apparently leads the state in scoring?
It would seem the UP coaches would have to have a very close personal relationship with a kid who is leading the state of California in scoring as a sophomore to convince him to matriculate at UP instead of going to UCLA or Stanford, or even Oregon.....but it would sure be nice to have a recruit come to UP that was NOT a ("below the radar") project/diamond in the rough. Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:05 pm

EvanDaniels wrote:Stopped by a @NikePortlandBC workout to check out 2018 Kamaka Hepa. Just moved to Portland. 6-8 versatile forward. High major prospect.

Get after it, Coach Porter!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:41 pm

Coach did say he wanted to own the NW in recruiting...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11823
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:42 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:But before he gets to college, he's now looking for a high school in the lower 48 that will give him more opportunity for his basketball development and greater competition.

Hmm, wouldn't it be nice if UP were to have graduate of La Salle Catholic College Prep, who has a deadly perimeter game, on it's roster in 2018.  I hope the La Salle principal knows that Kamaka Hepa is looking for high school.
I guess the folks at La Salle didn't read my recommendation......Hepa enrolled at Jefferson...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:10 pm

LC_Recruiting wrote:Last night at Jefferson HS (OR) open gym: Oregon, Oregon State, Gonzaga and University of Portland all were in attendance.

Yeaaaaah buddy!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:29 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
I guess the folks at La Salle didn't read my recommendation......Hepa enrolled at Jefferson...

Maybe if you had recommended Jesuit or Central....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11823
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:51 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:
EvanDaniels wrote:Stopped by a @NikePortlandBC workout to check out 2018 Kamaka Hepa. Just moved to Portland. 6-8 versatile forward. High major prospect.
Get after it, Coach Porter!
Notes from the Nike EYBL 16U yesterday....(I think Kramer was there representing UP....he can do that because UP still has only one assistant coach and he's passed the NCAA Recruiting exam).
Pat Lawless from MADEHoops wrote:  Kamaka Hepa from Portland Basketball Club (OR) may have been the most intriguing prospect at the Spring Takeover yesterday. The class of 2018 forward recently moved from the state of Alaska to Jefferson, Oregon. A lot more exposure should come his way now. There were a couple of reasons why he and his family decided to move.

“I think it’s really going to help my game and my future as well,” said Hepa. “I’ll be able to see how I compare to the best competition in the nation.”

The style of play from basketball in Alaska is a lot different than it is in Oregon.

“The physicality is a lot more intense here and athleticism is on another level,” said the Alaskan native. “The tempo here is also a lot faster.”

Hepa does a lot on the floor, but finds a couple of things he does on the floor to be his best attributes.

“I think my best attribute is my versatility because I can bring the bigger guys outside and take them to the rim,” Hepa said. “If there is a little guard on me I’ll work him in the post. I would also say passing is another one of my best attributes.”

“I have offers from Colgate, Old Dominion, Grand Canyon, Northern Colorado, San Francisco, Portland and New Mexico,” he said.

Oregon, Gonzaga, Utah, Stanford, Washington, UCLA, Notre Dame, Virginia and Miami are some of the high major schools that have expressed interest in him. He will be doing some background information on each school that is recruiting him.

“I just want to see how each school’s style of play fits me and how they will let me further my basketball career,” said Hepa.

A lot of schools in close proximity to Hepa have been making him a priority.

“Gonzaga, Utah, Stanford, Arizona and a lot of other Pac-12 and WCC schools have been in contact with my Dad the most,” he told MADEHoops.

Portland Basketball Club is in its first year of existence so Hepa wants them to start out on the right foot.

“It’s a first year team and I think it’s going to be good for us just to see where we stand with other teams,” he said. “Hopefully we will pave the way for the future generations of Portland basketball.”  
2018 Recruiting Cgqigx10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:09 pm

Nebraska and Miami today joined the list of schools that have offered scholarships to Hepa......
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:30 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Nebraska and Miami today joined the list of schools that have offered scholarships to Hepa......

Hey, and so has Portland! (again)

@LC_Recruiting wrote:Newly hired Terry Porter of University of Portland just offered Kamaka Hepa 2018 Portland Basketball Club Forward.

@JoshGershon wrote:Portland has offered 2018 Portland Basketball Club PF Kamaka Hepa.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:58 am

@JoshGershon  
2018 Portland Basketball Club forward Kelton Samore was offered by Portland.  
Portand Basketball Club coach Reggie Walker wrote: “Samore is a long combo forward who projects well as a stretch four at the next level.  He's a willing passer and has a knack for scoring around the basket. A developing three-point shooter, Samore has all the tools to become an impact player on the circuit.”  
Kelton Samore wrote:  I consider myself a versatile player.  I can run the floor and see well. I’m not just a guy who wants to shoot every time; I want to get the ball to other players and facilitate. I’m working on my athleticism."

(I'm looking for a university with) "Good atmosphere, good campus and good academics."  
Samore, 6-8/205 will be a junior at Grant High School in the fall.  His dad, Brian, is the AD and Dean of Students at Grant.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:08 pm

@Josh Gershon wrote: 2018 Earl Watson Elite PG Spencer Freedman added an offer from Portland.  
Freedman, from Mater Dei HS in Santa Monica, is rated at 4 stars by ESPN, and reportedly has a number of offers that include USC, UCSB, and Rice.

PG has to be a priority moving forward.....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:37 pm

Larmar Bigby wrote:   2018 Guard 6"4 James Bridges of Clark HS (NV) picked up a offer from University of Portland BIGTIME SHOOTER  
 This is reportedly his first D1 offer....he's from Las Vegas, NV.
2018 Recruiting Bridge10

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Sat May 06, 2017 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:51 pm

With all the coaches out on the road it seemed only a matter of time before we'd hear of UP recruiting possibilities.....and the first name to surface is Majur Majak, a skinny 7-1/205 center.....a refugee from South Sudan who only recently started playing basketball, but who is now going to school at Village Christian Academy in Sun Valley, California.

From the tape I've seen and the comments I've read, Majak is a very, very raw talent with a deep appreciation for being in the USA with a chance to get a quality education. "English is my favorite subject, and school is the most important to me,” Majak said. “There are times that the game is too fast for me, but I know I have a lot to learn...."

2018 Recruiting Ar-16010
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:54 pm

Pretty sure that's Terry in this video if you freeze it at 5:20. Out scouting 5 months ago in July. A few other coaches down at that end of the court as well.
https://youtu.be/D9be4lb8jGI?t=320

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:32 pm

Remember this picture of Roberto Gittens?
2018 Recruiting Gitten10
The picture of the Foss HS (Tacoma) 2017 grad is in the 2017 recruiting thread because UP offered the 4-Star 6-5/180 SG a scholarship last summer, but then he verbally committed to Boise State, but did not sign.

Yesterday Roberto decommitted, reclassified as a 2018 grad, and reopened his recruiting.

Don't know how interested the Pilots are at this point, but seems to me he'd be a good replacement for D'Marques Tyson next year.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:22 am

UP scholarship offer to 6'6" Jalen Green from the Seattle area.

https://twitter.com/lindberghhoopss/status/851579952050823168

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Mon May 08, 2017 5:09 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Larmar Bigby wrote:   2018 Guard 6"4 James Bridges of Clark HS (NV) picked up a offer from University of Portland BIGTIME SHOOTER  
This is reportedly his first D1 offer....he's from Las Vegas, NV.
2018 Recruiting Bridge11
Pretty sure he was the athlete that was being shown around UP in the middle of graduation weekend...
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 09, 2017 10:01 am

DoubleDipper wrote:With all the coaches out on the road it seemed only a matter of time before we'd hear of UP recruiting possibilities.....and the first name to surface is Majur Majak, a skinny 7-1/205 center.....a refugee from South Sudan who only recently started playing basketball, but who is now going to school at Village Christian Academy in Sun Valley, California.
Majak is now living in North Carolina and will no doubt get even more attention in the months ahead, but another 7 foot center's name has recently surfaced: 7-2 Ousmane Cisse from Dakar, Senegal.

Not a lot is known about Cisse, but not to be confused with a number of other men named Ousmane Cisse from Senegal, this Ousmane is going to school in Japan....probably playing against opponents who are at least 6 inches shorter. Rolling Eyes

I haven't seen any tape on him, but by all accounts he's got excellent footwork down low for a young man his age.

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Tue May 09, 2017 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 09, 2017 10:14 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:UP scholarship offer to 6'6" Jalen Green from the Seattle area.
In addition to wing Green from Renton, pictured here on the left:
2018 Recruiting Jalen_10

There have been reports the Pilots have also offered 6-2/170 point guard Trevante Anderson from Lincoln HS in Tacoma.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue May 09, 2017 10:22 am

I don't have any inside information, but Verbal Commits is reporting that we have offered Ousmane. 7-2...!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri May 12, 2017 6:39 pm

I just saw that DePaul had a commit from a 5-star guard a few days ago. DEPAUL.

Seriously, if a 5-star guard can end up at DePaul there's no reason that Kamaka Hepa can't end up at UP!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Fri May 12, 2017 7:16 pm

Well, DePaul did beat us head-to-head in 1959. Just sayin'.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 781
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next